• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
'Fun' to play is rather subjective no?

Destruction is the same ole same ole and Affliction isn't much better now that snapshotting is gone.

They also stated that absorbs aren't 'fun' for healers overall...yet they aren't gutting Disc 3/4 of the way through an expansion. Guess we will see how bad the Demo nerf is.

I'll watch the full Q/A tomorrow, basing this off of MMO-Champs paraphrasing (which could be misinterpretation).

Yeah, but when the vast majority of people and/or Blizzard decide somethings not fun, that's usually what will happen. This is basically them saying "Don't play demo because we are changing it very soon™, we don't think it's up to snuff, we especially don't want people to feel forced into it"

This is NOT them saying "We need to rotate specs like on a wheel every so often, sorry that's how we do it."

https://twitter.com/Xelnath/status/609838410342100992

Bringing up the disc thing is like...trying to trick them into their own rules or catch them on a technicality or something. It can apply to warlocks and not apply to disc priests, which is a much more complicated problem to solve short of also removing disc and potentially changing the playstyle of every other healer.

So I just read the re-cap at MMO-Champ...

I don't PVP, but did they seriously not talk about Ashran or PVP in general AT ALL? Seems to be one of the biggest clusterfucks this Xpac.

Because he has absolutely nothing to do with Ashran or PvP, they reiterated that multiple times.

You guys are like reading clickbait or something. Watch the actual interview.

lazygecko

So I've got my US account up and running now... and I immediately notice that the trade chat is infested with Chinese spam to a degree which I have never experienced in EU. I've downloaded the BadBoy addon to try and fix it but it only seems to partly mitgate the issue. Any tips on what to do here?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I got my first outpost book but don't have salvage yard unlocked yet. Does it unlock without the use of a book, or should I save it for that? And I assume I should reserve 5000 gold for the tier 3 garrison upgrade first because finishing it will be essential to farming future gold that buys the other building upgrades, which are essential to really cranking out the gold, right? I'm 3/4 through level 96 and I have a goal of getting enough gold for a token by the end of the month.

lazygecko

I got my first outpost book but don't have salvage yard unlocked yet. Does it unlock without the use of a book, or should I save it for that? And I assume I should reserve 5000 gold for the tier 3 garrison upgrade first because finishing it will be essential to farming future gold that buys the other building upgrades, which are essential to really cranking out the gold, right? I'm 3/4 through level 96 and I have a goal of getting enough gold for a token by the end of the month.

To get the salvage yard blueprint you need to do the quest chain for the goblin town in Spires of Arrak. It's pretty fast and straightforward. Level 3 salvage yields are a pretty nice extra flow of gold, but having to unpack and vendor tons of salvage on lots of different alts gets really tiresome. Personally I think they are more valuable for the extra follower gear upgrades they occasionally yield.

Tacitus_

It's nice to at least see them use language like "regret" and "fix" when it comes to certain things that haven't worked out well.

The Demo answer is pretty crazy, tho. "The spec is bad and we are going to overhaul it but aren't doing that until after 6.2, so just don't use it for Hellfire."

That's gonna get a lot of play on the official warlock forums, I'm sure.

Let's nerf destro and then joke about it! Let's nerf demo and tell them to wait until the next expansion for a fix!

Goddammit Blizz.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Wow, there must be so few people actually leveling in BC content nowadays. Queue times take ages.

You guys are like reading clickbait or something. Watch the actual interview.

Slow your roll bud, not everyone has time to sit through the entire interview. Sorry that I didn't infer something that wasn't stated in a write up on one of the most predominate WoW news sites. Figured they would have noted that. And while I know Watcher has nothing to do with PVP, didn't assume they would just cop out about talking about it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So I've got my US account up and running now... and I immediately notice that the trade chat is infested with Chinese spam to a degree which I have never experienced in EU. I've downloaded the BadBoy addon to try and fix it but it only seems to partly mitgate the issue. Any tips on what to do here?

This one should work.

I think it's just Illidan that has the chinese population. I don't remember why, one guild there or something. I don't ever see anything like that on Sargeras.

Slow your roll bud, not everyone has time to sit through the entire interview. Sorry that I didn't infer something that wasn't stated in a write up on one of the most predominate WoW news sites. Figured they would have noted that. And while I know Watcher has nothing to do with PVP, didn't assume they would just cop out about talking about it.

lol cop out. He literally has nothing to do with it, it's not his part of the game. It'd be like asking him about Hearthstone or Diablo or something.

Oh man that interview. So much 'no fucking shit, Sherlock.'

I don't think they really want to go down the 'nerf alts' rabbit hole that much. Lot of people play on multiple accounts because of the resources and advantages having an army of alts provides.

Rokal

Interview was decent, but I was hoping they would give some insight into why this expansion has been such a content drought.

"We doubled the size of the staff and it took a long time to train people up which is why WoD was so late, shouldn't happen again"

Followed 8 months of no new content and the worst patch cycle they've ever had for an expansion, even compared to Cata.

It seems like new content should be more frequent as the game ages and Blizzard has tools build and has already learned many lessons about content design for an MMO, but every expansion gets worse and worse with content pace.

This one should work.

lol cop out. He literally has nothing to do with it, it's not his part of the game. It'd be like asking him about Hearthstone or Diablo or something.

Not quite. This Q&A was some much needed damage control for the game in its current state. While it isn't his DEPARTMENT of the game, still seems silly to not discuss it at all. No where near asking him about a completely different IP.

Laughtry, why are you always so combative? People can ask questions about why pvp wasn't included in the q&a considering the whole thing was about damage control. No need to be like that.

phierce

Can't we all just be happy today? After all, this is the day the Amulet of Ruhkmar was finally fucking up!!!!!

and it's GoT day...c'mon!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I guess? I don't see that much conversation about the PvP scene and that community segregated is part of why PvP in this game is dying. I don't really care about that stuff but I don't think it's unreasonable to touch on it during a general Q&A.

It wouldn't, if we didn't get an hour long Q&A specifically for PVP only 2 months ago. Nothing has changed since then.

A giant list of information about 6.2, classes, about what didn't work about the expac, and STILL people are bitching. I wouldn't do any more of these Q&As if I were them, they just cause more complaining.

Can't we all just be happy today? After all, this is the day the Amulet of Ruhkmar was finally fucking up!!!!!

This is true. I got harrison on one guy, boosted Harrison to 675 and should have him on my hunter soon. I have to do the crystal reborn after this one. I hope to GOD that one comes up soon.

Hopefully this is the start of getting that dough.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It wouldn't, if we didn't get an hour long Q&A specifically for PVP only 2 months ago. Nothing has changed since then.

A giant list of information about 6.2, classes, about what didn't work about the expac, and STILL people are bitching. I wouldn't do any more of these Q&As if I were them, they just cause more complaining.

Yeah, I 100% disagree with you. Them doing that Q&A was simply amazing. I hope the continue doing more of them, and continue bing open with their decisions for game changes.

I honestly feel like I accomplished something today. Getting Harrison and I'm working on knocking out the into the pit daily. Bout fucking time.

Im torn about them nerfing garrison. I have 5 100s now, just got Harrison on 3 of them today. Ive had 4 100s running for a while and I love making this much gold. I also go super lucky, sold my tabard of the light bringer for 50k, and got a boe from a salvage that sold for 25k. Since May 10th, Ive made a bit over 350k gold from garrisons and 685 armor tokens. The only 2 things im going to spend it on is game time and boe mounts. I was going to get a few today, but some doosher bought them all up on my server and tripled the price...

Oh well, I can be patient, its not like Im going to lose the gold.

Also, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck blizz and that Demo nerf. Demo is my fav spec across all my characters. Destro isn't fun anymore for some reason. Its what I raided with in MoP, but something is off now.

Also, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck blizz and that Demo nerf. Demo is my fav spec across all my characters. Destro isn't fun anymore for some reason. Its what I raided with in MoP, but something is off now.

Rain of Fire no embers
tears.gif

My lock is only 96 and still has full SoO tier gear, and that nerf hit the hardest. Haven't really played another warlock spec either, outside of brief experimentation. Might level an Alliance one or something to learn.

Rain of Fire no embers
tears.gif

My lock is only 96 and still has full SoO tier gear, and that nerf hit the hardest. Haven't really played another warlock spec either, outside of brief experimentation. Might level an Alliance one or something to learn.

I know this sounds dumb, but I think a big part of it is demonic leap. I love this shit out of that ability. And I have the meteor rune so I can fall from anywhere and not die.

Im torn about them nerfing garrison. I have 5 100s now, just got Harrison on 3 of them today. Ive had 4 100s running for a while and I love making this much gold. I also go super lucky, sold my tabard of the light bringer for 50k, and got a boe from a salvage that sold for 25k. Since May 10th, Ive made a bit over 350k gold from garrisons and 685 armor tokens. The only 2 things im going to spend it on is game time and boe mounts. I was going to get a few today, but some doosher bought them all up on my server and tripled the price...

Oh well, I can be patient, its not like Im going to lose the gold.

I'm with you. I have 2 level 100s, just got harrison on one of them and I'm trying to get as much as I possibly can. With how they fucked professions I can't make what I used to off of the AH. The garrison took the place of that. It's honestly the main reason I'm playing at the moment- I want to stack some loot before the next expansion. And I just got the point where I'm making some bank. Hopefully the nerf bat doesn't come soon.

Also, since they kept saying gold is the ultimate currency, if they nerf how people get it are they going to replace it with something else?

Dice

This game keeps annoying me so much. I mean, sometimes I knowingly take on gambles to see what it's like, such as Gom. I do this because I have resurrection so it isn't that bad if it goes wrong, but jesus fucking christ navigating the overworld sucks so much ass. Goddamn twisting hills everywhere and always having to go waaaay the fuck around to get to just a short bit across if the damn spike-like mountains weren't around, and often the windy paths actually end up going in the opposite direction you want, and the fucking worthless maps are the worst I've seen in any game ever, and there are all these random tiny little camps of guys who can kill you straight out because they are for some random ass quest you're not on yet so they're basically invincible until then (I'm 97 and some 94 guys just pwnd me while I could barely scratch them because they had royal dressing around their portrait or whatever the fuck it was) so god knows why Blizz even makes them appear for everyone to stumble into (or turn around the wrong cliff into) rather than being instanced. There is a lot that Blizzard gets right, but I've been playing this game maybe 200 hours now and I still haven't gotten a handle on the completely dog shit navigation. I have never in my life seen it so bad in any game. Even fucking dugi guides has made an entire business around trying to help people just know where the fuck to go in the mess and it's still only halfway helpful to find the weird ass pathways.

I'm just venting but holy hell now I see why people act like endgame is the only real game, because the questing is total garbage to navigate and never gets better.

Dice

First MMO?
No I played L2, Champions Online, LOTRO, Guild Wars 2 and Star Trek Online. Questing and navigation on all of those was sooooo much better. Their controls, progression, and story weren't, but at least it was easy enough to know where the fuck to go and get there without arbitrary bullshit sending you every which way and interrupting 24/7, and I never accidentally slipped into/caught aggro of crazy shit above my survivability. WoW is in it's own (complete shit) league in that aspect of design.

JSoup

Banned
No I played L2, Champions Online, LOTRO, Guild Wars 2 and Star Trek Online. Questing and navigation on all of those was sooooo much better.

I'm sorry, no.
GW2 is a great game, but it's one main failing is it gives little to no direction on what you should be doing and when you do find quest chains, they don't make sense in context to anything, just pure MMO fodder type quests (late game is better about this).

Champions Online, in particular, I can agree with. I only played for about 25 levels, but the game is great about explaining itself.

Dice

In GW2 you can pretty much go anywhere without being arbitrarily blocked and if you ever are going to be you can always tell way ahead of time and go the right way because the map doesn't blow ass and if you really need it to you can tell it where you want to be and it'll even make a little line for you on the ground.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
In GW2 you can pretty much go anywhere without being arbitrarily blocked and if you ever are going to be you can always tell way ahead of time and go the right way because the map doesn't blow ass and if you really need it to you can tell it where you want to be and it'll even make a little line for you on the ground.

In my day WoW didn't even show where quests objectives were on the map, let alone where quest givers were on the map.

They're already hand-holding really strong compared to when the game first came out, but you think an actual LINE on the map on where to go is good for exploring?

Jesus.

Dice

but you think an actual LINE on the map on where to go is good for exploring?
There is no exploring because THEY BLOCK EVERY SINGLE DIRECTION POSSIBLE. If it actually had a half-decent world with half-decent maps and half-decent details from different characters, I would be all for exploring, but they don't. This isn't Morrowind. This isn't even Guild Wars. The only pick-up shit existing is some random "kill 20 of this and collect 8 of that" things for a bit of money and xp, and the storyline stuff is extremely restrictive and makes no sense.

When I finished the main story questline for Iron Horde stuff in Talador, Durotan was literally in 5 places at once. I could fly to any one of them and he was just standing there acting like nothing happened. At the end of the fight they said nothing about the particular location we'd meet up. It wasn't in the quest details. It wasn't at the last place we met up. It wasn't at the main camp we had originally, and it wasn't at our backup cave. It was some random ass little hold we maybe chatted at for 30 seconds ages ago. The game didn't even give me a marker for this, dugi did.

With that kind of nonsensical bullshit on the main story questline yes I am going to say that "exploration" can go fuck itself. I'll take a line on the ground if you need me to get to one exact spot completely arbitrarily chosen to be the one where the character I can find in multiple other places will actually act like what happened just happened AND you didn't tell me anything at all AND you make it a massive pain in the ass to even get around to the different places to find it in the first place.

If you want to be in denial that it's bad or like I'm a filthy casual or whatever just because WoW questing used to be even more shit, I guess that's up to you. But you'd be burying your head in the sand in regard to the entire history of RPGs on PC, MMO or not.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
You realize it shows you on the map a little ? Where to turn in quests right? You don't need to go to the last 5 places you saw durotan to try to turn something in. I'd be willing to bet money you missed t or your add-on removed it to jsusifty its existence. I've leveled up tons of times and not once did the map not show where to go.

I think filthy casual is a little generous to be honest.

Dice

You realize it shows you on the map a little ? Where to turn in quests right? You don't need to go to the last 5 places you saw durotan to try to turn something in.

I think filthy casual is a little generous to be honest.
You're being EXTREMELY assumptive and condescending, far more than you need to be when I'm simply explaining the facts of game design I have encountered and how other games avoid such pitfalls. If you're trying to bait me into telling you off or something it isn't going to work, and if you're just taking it personally I think you may be just a bit too attached to this particular game.

I've been playing RPGs for over 20 years and I'm perfectly well experienced and aware of how to navigate maps (that are any good) and *gasp* even just figure things out based on vague hints if the game bothers to give them to you. I told you there was no marker on the map. The dugi guys had actually filled it in with the of the green dot custom markers. It is ridiculous that if they hadn't done so, there would literally be nothing to indicate where the "Real Durotan" was. Pure amateur quest design. There would have been no excuse 10, even 15 years ago, let alone now.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'm definitely not baiting when I say you're the first person I've ever heard say that leveling in WoD is too hard.

StMeph

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you must have boosted straight to 90 as a totally new player to WoW, because most of this stuff doesn't really apply at the very low levels in the early zones where the game really basically does the kind of handholding you're asking for. The "royally dressed" mobs are elites, which naturally have higher HP pools and deal more damage. This is all stuff that would have been apparent if you leveled normally and started in the early game zones, at least from 1-20 or 30. Jumping into the mature part of the game with zero prior experience is going to be somewhat bewildering.

Now if you did level from 1-90 and are still having trouble in WoD... I don't know what to say.

Dice

I didn't say it's too hard, I said navigation is annoying and needlessly/arbitrarily/excessively obstructive compared to the vast majority of other PC RPGs in existence. And if you're after nothing but discussion, maybe you should focus on defending what you believe is true about the game rather than making insulting insinuations about my intelligence.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you must have boosted straight to 90 as a totally new player to WoW, because most of this stuff doesn't really apply at the very low levels in the early zones where the game really basically does the kind of handholding you're asking for.
I played 6 other characters of different races to 20-30 before this boost. They all still had the terrible world/map design.

The "royally dressed" mobs are elites, which naturally have higher HP pools and deal more damage. This is all stuff that would have been apparent if you leveled normally and started in the early game zones, at least from 1-20 or 30. Jumping into the mature part of the game with zero prior experience is going to be somewhat bewildering.
I mean there was some kind of royal-looking insignia, which I had never seen before. The grey-to-gold wing-looking borders, sure, and only on boss or miniboss type characters. The game doesn't explain what different portrait borders mean, but the borders wouldn't have helped anyway since they saw me around a corner and through a tree as I was coming around a mountain path and their base was tucked in the corner there, and their pursuit and killing power was better than I'd ever escape. These were ultra-powered trash mobs in a 94 zone. It made no sense to me at all. No game I've played has been that stupidly random with its zoning of super powerful characters.

Top Bottom