• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Draxal

Solid point. Dungeons in Vanilla/BC/early WotLK did require a good bit more time just to organize and that does slow content consumption. It's like fast food vs fine dining, even if both menus had the same number of items it's pretty likely the fast food place would feel boring faster.

But I'll still argue that there isn't enough stuff to do in WoD. I'm not going to count stuff like Archaeology and the rep grinds as stuff to do because they are, by the admission of the WoW team, boring and last minute tack ons. Don't even get me started about Garrisons... I never wanted player housing to begin with.

Early WotLK showed that there was some class issues that still needed to be ironed out (GC basically had to make a post teaching holy paladins how to heal Loken), but otherwise was pretty easy (especially Naxx). BC was a different story, but you had issues like Magisters Terrace requiring certain classes to be done in pugs otherwise you couldn't get into groups at all.

Garrisons are a nice addition but they made it too mandatory (for gold farming) and not optional enough, there's really not enough variety in player garrisons.

The problem Wow faces is that it's a ten year old game and most of the people playing are 25 + up who have done all these dungeons already, and new dungeons is .... not so new as doing a first dungeon again.

So yeah I definitely feel ya when you say a "WoW style MMO" because that carries the connotation of WoW (obviously) and all its "pandering" features like dungeon queues, teleports, transmogs, etc. But if something came along that was a paradigm shift, I definitely think people could get into that.

The fact really is that if you're a WoW player, there is just no reason to leave for another MMO. Everything else out there with a respectably sized player base is just a copy, and if you've got your roots in WoW, then that's home and it's not easy to move from your home.

There is if one gets the right combination of accessibility and lore. The one game I've seen try to attempt to the hardcore aspect of Wow has failed miserably (Wildstar). There was a decent migration to SWTOR in the beginning as well (due to lore), until it was clear that team had no idea what to do in endgame, which dooms alot of Wow clones. I mean I'm not happy with Wow Endgame, but at least they've tried to fix it multiple times, (I haven't played ff14) but of the other games there's nothing been as close to the variety of end game that's in Wow atm.

A bit late to the transmog show, but I'm pretty happy finally getting everything together:

c4u12No.png

2x Hungering Cold/Slayer of the Lifeless with Battlemaster illusion enchants for DW Frost.

TURN ON SOME AA FOR GOD'S SAKE

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
wut

Affliction
Drain Soul damage has been increased by 50%, and now causes all other damage over time spells to instantly deal 50% of their normal damage (up from 40%).
Haunt damage has been increased by 25%, and now increases periodic damage dealt by 35% (up from 30%).

that seems like a huge buff.

Reckoner

Adventure Guide just gave me a question to go to Mount Hyjal. Should I leave Vashj'ir behind now or it will get me there eventually through quest chains?

Btw I skip some quests in Outlands and Northrend. Is there a easy way to catch up with it later, to know where I left off?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Adventure Guide just gave me a question to go to Mount Hyjal. Should I leave Vashj'ir behind now or it will get me there eventually through quest chains?

No, nothing would ever send you back there. WoW's pretty fluid in it's leveling. Zone 1a/1b -> Zone 2 -> Zone 3 -> etc...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Is it me or did blizz add alot of stuff that should be toys recently?

yes, they added a bunch of shit that are basically toys but arent considered toys because they have actual application in questing or whatever the fuck

its pissing me off, i have like 5 or 6 of those things sitting in my bags. half of them fall off the rares, so i have no idea if they drop again if i destroy them

Entropia

No One Remembers
"Hey guys! We're adding a a toy bag so all that junk can not be in your bags"
"Yay!"
"Oh, btw here's a bunch of crap that are like toys but because of our arbitrary rules will be in your normal bag"

Reckoner

No, nothing would ever send you back there. WoW's pretty fluid in it's leveling. Zone 1a/1b -> Zone 2 -> Zone 3 -> etc...

I'm actually asking if I'll get to Mount Hyjal through quest chains here in Vashj'ir. I kind of want to explore everything but I'm not sure what's the best way to enjoy going through this world right now. Some of my friends just got to level 90 through dungeon leveling, but that sounds too rushy to me.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm actually asking if I'll get to Mount Hyjal through quest chains here in Vashj'ir. I kind of want to explore everything but I'm not sure what's the best way to enjoy going through this world right now. Some of my friends just got to level 90 through dungeon leveling, but that sounds too rushy to me.

Oh, sorry mis-read.

Still no, nothing in Vashj'ir will send you to Mount Hyjal. Hyjal and Vashj'ir are the starting zones in Cata, so you do one or the other (you can go back and do Hyjal if you want) but there's no quests tying the two together specifically.

ampere

Is it me or did blizz add alot of stuff that should be toys recently?

yes, they added a bunch of shit that are basically toys but arent considered toys because they have actual application in questing or whatever the fuck

its pissing me off, i have like 5 or 6 of those things sitting in my bags. half of them fall off the rares, so i have no idea if they drop again if i destroy them

"Hey guys! We're adding a a toy bag so all that junk can not be in your bags"
"Yay!"
"Oh, btw here's a bunch of crap that are like toys but because of our arbitrary rules will be in your normal bag"

I'm convinced there's a team in charge of the toy box and a separate team that actually makes items. There's just no way to rationalize some of the "toy or not toy" decisions lol

Peachpies

I'm convinced there's a team in charge of the toy box and a separate team that actually makes items. There's just no way to rationalize some of the "toy or not toy" decisions lol
It is because their core focus is not making a game that is fun and they consistently refuse to acknowledge that they are often wrong on these kinds of things so you end up with a stupid rule where things that are useful cannot be toys even though it is not a problem at all if things that are useful (even ones that are very powerful or do damage) are toys.

Tenebrous

Not sure... It has the design of Deathmist & Dreadmist, but a unique colour scheme from either.

Edit: Design is seemingly unique with the longer sleeves. No idea.

Tenebrous

That "robe" is actually just for the legs slot, Stormreaver Shadow-Kilt, and you have to find your own chest to go with it.

Well, there you go! Learn something new every day, although the chances I had that item when playing my priest/warlock/mage during TBC is as good as 100% I reckon.

Does anyone else not want a higher level cap in the next expansion? I love leveling, but surely there's something else they could do instead now we're at the very pleasant 100.

Robin64

Does anyone else not want a higher level cap in the next expansion? I love leveling, but surely there's something else they could do instead now we're at the very pleasant 100.

I'm itching for an AA system of some kind at this point. Used to play Rift and it had this:

03spending_pa_points.jpg

Beyond ultimate power

Upon achieving level 50 and completing the Chronicles of Attunement, all XP earned (from kills, dungeons, raids, quests, Chronicles, zone invasions, anything!) counts toward your next Planar Attunement level. Each level grants you 100 Attunement Points to spend in one of the six planes.

Each plane offers a grid of bonuses (listed below) that you can access after purchasing its core power (central hex). Every bonus you unlock opens its adjacent hexes for purchase. Buy multiple ranks of the same bonus, or branch off into other powers and benefits, customizing your character as you attune to the planes. Specialize in one element, generalize across a few, or earn them all-the choice is yours!

Endless possibilities

Planar Attunement lets you:

Improve your most important stats.
Master your weapons and cast more potent spells.
Maximize your effectiveness against the planes and their denizens, making their strength your own.
Open rifts to planes of your choosing, influencing how the dynamic war for Telara will unfold!
Ride faster, reduce falling damage, and much more!

Tenebrous

I think the addition of HBAO+ was pretty big & improved AA options definitely helped. Not a big DoF fan, but it wouldn't hurt to have the option!

Fjordson

Some more SweetFX comparison pics
Damn that looks good.

Getting a new PC so I can run WoW with everything maxed is like my main life goal right now. In my decade of playing there was only a small time during BC where I remember playing on a fairly good PC. Otherwise it's been mostly mediocre laptops.

Robin64

About the legendary ring.

Is it worth upgrading from 715 to 735 if you don't really raid? You get that on use effect which is great for groups, but you also lose the personal proc.

ampere

About the legendary ring.

Is it worth upgrading from 715 to 735 if you don't really raid? You get that on use effect which is great for groups, but you also lose the personal proc.

You can also use it as a dps cooldown while soloing. Might as well finish it I say!

ampere

You can always buy the old version of the ring from the dude outside Khadgar's house.

Well, you don't even lose the 715 version when you turn in the quest. I still have it in my bags, but it vendors for 50g.

Although lets be real. The 15% stat proc is not even close to as good as the on use. Even if some random LFR person pops it whenever (using it on CD isn't a bad thing really)

Well, you don't even lose the 715 version when you turn in the quest. I still have it in my bags, but it vendors for 50g.

Although lets be real. The 15% stat proc is not even close to as good as the on use. Even if some random LFR person pops it whenever (using it on CD isn't a bad thing really)

Well yeah. The on use is a magnitude better than a random proc.

Robin64

Eh, I guess. I just don't like items with on use functions. I always prefer trinkets with procs than ones that I need to use. Just another button to press when I pop wings, meh.

Peachpies

Eh, I guess. I just don't like items with on use functions. I always prefer trinkets with procs than ones that I need to use. Just another button to press when I pop wings, meh.
You can make a macro that has wings and the ring in it so you only have the one button to push.

MOUNT OF THE WEEK MOTHERFUCKERS
song_siren.gif
ZDsxCCG.gif
pwou69d.gif

Easily my favorite in the game. 42+ attempts, according to Rarity (I say + because I think it mistracked at times with the lockout sharing I've been doing, besides however many attempts before installing the addon). Though I still have Mimiron's Head runs to do (in addition to others like Onyxia). Got it on my monk (least geared character I've been running on), as the last pull of the week. Coincidentally on the day my birthday falls on (21st).

Makes like 3 1% mounts in the past month, plus TLPD. Always lucky :>

Guess I'm glad I didn't win it when it was on the BMAH a few months ago now.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Well, there you go! Learn something new every day, although the chances I had that item when playing my priest/warlock/mage during TBC is as good as 100% I reckon.

maybe a level squish?

i dont think it really matters what level we are, honestly

Tenebrous

Anyone fancy doing WSG on lowbie Horde toons? My hunter is level 12 at the moment with all the BoAs and BiS enchants, and it's a pretty fun way to get HKs without having to worry about endgame balance.

Top Bottom