• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Daniel R

I don't trust Blizzard not to meddle with the algorithm behind the token price.
They once said they would let the market set the price but I am not so sure of that,

Or is it a sign of people re-subbing for gold in time for the patch, driving the price up so suddenly?

Robin64

I don't trust Blizzard not to meddle with the algorithm behind the token price.
They once said they would let the market set the price but I am not so sure of that,

What would they gain by increasing the price? From a financial standpoint, Blizzard would rather people sub with tokens rather than real money.

Diodiablo

Banned
What would they gain by increasing the price? From a financial standpoint, Blizzard would rather people sub with tokens rather than real money.

Tokens are not infinite, keeping the price high would push more people to buy them (actually buying the gold they are sold for). But the risk of market inflation and stagnation would become too great. The last thing Blizzard wants is people buying tokens and not being able to sell them, that would break the market for them.

Staab

Woah... I hadn't watched token prices since august and ... oh boy !
Glad I bought two back when they were sub 30k in EU.
Still have one in stock for when the urge comes and enough money to scrounge up another one if need be.
Will probably wait for the expansion though.

Lomax

They clearly tweaked the algorithm at least once, in the early days the price was very volatile and then one day suddenly it wasn't any more (it was really obvious too). This spike is nuts though, is like supply just stopped, has the store been down or something?

Babalu.

I doubt it had anything to do with blizzard tweaking algorithms this time.

It probably has to do with demand skyrocketing since all the 6 month bans for botting were finally over a couple days ago and everyone wanting to get their old account up and running again.

thousands of new accounts unlocked on the same day means demand >> supply = high prices for now.

they all got their gold taken away as well.

ampere

20130 here! My big gap is pvp where I only have around 30% of the achievements since I can never find a spec I like pvping on much. Hopefully that will change soon since I have plenty of time right now to find something fun to play before the next expansion comes and shakes everything up per usual (though the shake up this time will be even bigger I guess).

I was pretty lacking on pvp (still my weakest section), but I started pvping again this season and have been enjoying it. Mostly un-rated bgs, which are fun if you queue with a few other people. I get a kick out of healing pvp too

Entropia

No One Remembers
I was pretty lacking on pvp (still my weakest section), but I started pvping again this season and have been enjoying it. Mostly un-rated bgs, which are fun if you queue with a few other people. I get a kick out of healing pvp too

You've never asked to pvp with me before ;'-(!!!!!

I'm only at 19335 Achievement Points.

I need to go do the MOP Raid achievements still. I'm actually shocked I never got those done during the expansion. :(

I'm behind on the WOD raid achievements as well. That'd put me over 20k.

Tenebrous

I lack pretty much everything except PvP/Rep/General. Sitting at 20.2k at the moment, but getting MoP raids (Draenor raids I'll do in Legion), Draenor & WoD quests, Garrisons & Archaeology would get me clear of 22k, I think. Still miss all the MoP BG achievements, too.

Was realm's #1 Horde player for a bit during Cataclysm, but I've not tried properly since then. Too much effort.

Lomax

North America token has plummeted back down to 37k, clearly something odd was (is?) going on. If it keeps this momentum down they might get really cheap briefly in a bit.

ZenaxPure

The hell you on about? I subbed until September 2016 when the token prices were 36-40k. Not our fault you Americans are poor.

(South Korean tokens go for over 190k each).

????

36k is shit compared to our all time low of 17,964. I extended until the middle of 2017 when prices were in that range.

Tenebrous

????

36k is shit compared to our all time low of 17,964. I extended until the middle of 2017 when prices were in that range.

Everything is cheaper on American servers, though. Spectral Tigers go for well over the goldcap here, but they're not even 500k in the states, are they?

ZenaxPure

Everything is cheaper on American servers, though. Spectral Tigers go for well over the goldcap here, but they're not even 500k in the states, are they?

Yes, which has been very beneficial since the easy gold this expansion came from the garrison which generates the same amount of gold regardless of region. Or did last I check I guess....

Also tangential, but, mount comparisons to gold don't really mean much in NA anyway. Haven't looked lately (since I have most of them now) but for most of WoD the AH was littered with TCG dupes. Very commonly saw shit like 5 roosters up from the exact same guy for like 150k each. I bought my Spectral Tiger for something like 180k, probably a dupe. Onyx Panther (not tcg but still) for 45k, Battle Bear, the 2 Hippogryphs, the Nether Rocket X-Treme, and the Savage Raptor for all less than ~80k. Most of the others were in the 100-120k range.

Whole ordeal is kinda crazy.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
North America token has plummeted back down to 37k, clearly something odd was (is?) going on. If it keeps this momentum down they might get really cheap briefly in a bit.

Yeah, something is fishy with the token prices.

The fact that it lines up so well with the expiration of a bunch of 6 month bans definitely seems to be a factor in driving demand/price up, and then they all re-subbed for gold so that demand spike immediately abated.

Lomax

For those with lapsed subs, if you log in you will get the 11th anniversary achievement, but you can't get the Thunderfury or that related achievement because you can't get the package that is mailed to you.

The fact that it lines up so well with the expiration of a bunch of 6 month bans definitely seems to be a factor in driving demand/price up, and then they all re-subbed for gold so that demand spike immediately abated.

I guess that seems plausible, but still, that's a completely unheard of spike. Are you saying that everyone who was unbanned still had their gold waiting for them?

ampere

Screenshot of your trophy room pls.

GMiO1Oz.jpg

It looks neat, but I hope archaeology is less grindy in Legion

ZenaxPure

They said it would be like an adventure in Legion.

The way they described it made it sound something like the Garrison Campaign, random adventures over the course of many weeks/months. Random un-related weekly storylines weren't that great for driving an expansion's main story but it could be fun for Arch.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I guess that seems plausible, but still, that's a completely unheard of spike. Are you saying that everyone who was unbanned still had their gold waiting for them?

Why wouldn't they? It was a temporary 6 month ban, not an account deletion. And the kind of folks who were in that ban wave (botters, mostly) are exactly the kind of folks to have a shit load of gold piled up.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Why wouldn't they? It was a temporary 6 month ban, not an account deletion. And the kind of folks who were in that ban wave (botters, mostly) are exactly the kind of folks to have a shit load of gold piled up.

Gold, Honor, and Conquest was removed.

ampere

The way they described it made it sound something like the Garrison Campaign, random adventures over the course of many weeks/months. Random un-related weekly storylines weren't that great for driving an expansion's main story but it could be fun for Arch.

If it's like that I'd be happy. I actually really liked the Garrison Campaign concept as a side thing to give supplemental storylines. It worked out pretty weird in WoD with them staggered though, like I was learning about why Kargath was in Highmaul 2 months after killing him as a boss... just felt odd.

ZenaxPure

If it's like that I'd be happy. I actually really liked the Garrison Campaign concept as a side thing to give supplemental storylines. It worked out pretty weird in WoD with them staggered though, like I was learning about why Kargath was in Highmaul 2 months after killing him as a boss... just felt odd.

Yeah I just went back and checked out the Blizzcon panel for the quote, they said (slight paraphrasing) "Archaeologists are gonna be taken on an expansion length campaign that's revealed over several months that takes you to all the different corners of Azeroth."

Sounds very much like something in the same vein as the Garrison Campaign even if it doesn't follow the exact same model. And yeah I agree, I think the Garrison Campaign model is a really good one for supplemental storylines. My problem was more that it was the main story content at max level instead of a cool side thing to flesh out Draenor.

Robin64

And as touched upon earlier, the Garrison campaigns had you doing stuff that takes place before you've already seen the post-campaign story in the raid. It happened for the 6.0 stuff, and it happened again with the Tanaan ones in 6.2. Pretty amusing.

For PvP buffs, do I need to level up professions? I have alchemy right now and plan on making flasks for the STR buff, but is there anything else I need? Do I need to learn cooking as well or can I just buy the food buffs from the AH? Is there anything else I'm missing?

ampere

For PvP buffs, do I need to level up professions? I have alchemy right now and plan on making flasks for the STR buff, but is there anything else I need? Do I need to learn cooking as well or can I just buy the food buffs from the AH? Is there anything else I'm missing?

You can't use flasks/food/potions/gliders in rated pvp, but in random bgs you can used all of them and you can buy them on the AH. The only advantage to crafting them yourself is that your flasks will last longer (Mixology passive), but there are no stat advantages to professions anymore.

That and class halls

I highly doubt class halls are cut. They look to be a core part of the max level content and artifacts as a hub

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
That and class halls

There's absolutely no way Transmog system makes it in until 7.1.

Class Halls, Artifacts, and every quest to go along with the artifact though...

I have a feeling some artifacts are going to have like 1-2 skins tops for a while too.

Playing through Wrath of the Lich King content for the first time and really enjoying it,but I'm already 80 with only 3 and 1/2 Northrend zones cleared and a few random dungeons queues.

Dragonblight had 4 quest hubs without bread crumb quests leading me to them, I ended up scouring the zone to find the remaining few but Wrathgate was worth it. Even Grizzly Hills had an awesome quest chain that got resolved in a dungeon in another zone. Basically Horde or Alliance unwittingly destroy the troll empire for the Scourge.

Northrend looks great still.

erawsd

I feel like they usually deliver on the big "tent pole" features that you see on a keynote slide. The details and scope of those things often change, but they always show up in some fashion (Path of titans > Glyphs). The Q/A, interviews, and twitter responses are where you see most of the stuff that just flat out never materializes, where they're talking about things that are just ideas.

Magnus

Playing through Wrath of the Lich King content for the first time and really enjoying it,but I'm already 80 with only 3 and 1/2 Northrend zones cleared and a few random dungeons queues.

Dragonblight had 4 quest hubs without bread crumb quests leading me to them, I ended up scouring the zone to find the remaining few but Wrathgate was worth it. Even Grizzly Hills had an awesome quest chain that got resolved in a dungeon in another zone. Basically Horde or Alliance unwittingly destroy the troll empire for the Scourge.

Northrend looks great still.

I really hope they one day apply the level-scaling tech for Legion zones to the levelling experience in one form or another. It sucks finishing zones well before zone storylines are completed, and I keep hearing that the Cata revamp resulted in great questlines and stories being added to all the old zones. There were genuinely awesome quests the whole way up in various zones, actually, and they probably get missed entirely now because people want to be efficient about getting to level cap (no one wants levelling to last longer). The end result is I'm usually doing the intro quests in each zone which are usually terrible compared to the ones deeper within.

ZenaxPure

I feel like they usually deliver on the big "tent pole" features that you see on a keynote slide. The details and scope of those things often change, but they always show up in some fashion (Path of titans > Glyphs). The Q/A, interviews, and twitter responses are where you see most of the stuff that just flat out never materializes, where they're talking about things that are just ideas.

Pretty much, people seem to have a hard time understanding the difference between a random thing a dev says in an interview and something that shows up on one of the main stages. The likelihood of any of the big features they've shown so far getting cut is pretty low, they are more likely to get transformed/modified in some way during the beta (which is kinda the whole point of a beta).

Not really even worth talking about what will be cut/delayed/changed until the first version of the beta comes out, we will get a better of how far along they are into development then.

Lomax

NA Token bottomed out at 33.6k and is now skyrocketing again. Wonder if maybe we hit some point where supply is so low that the volatility is higher.

Top Bottom