• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Never done a timewalking weekend before, are there any loot lockouts like on heroics?

It's like random heroic dungeon queue, which never has loot lockouts. Dungeon loot lockouts only come into play if you are trying to manually do repeat runs of a specific dungeon, but timewalking is random queue only so it's not a factor. If you queue 5 times and get the same dungeon 5 times in a row you can still have a chance to get loot off of every boss 5 times.

Nere

Fuuuuuuu all this talk about legion makes me so fucking excited and then you look at the calendar realizing you have to wait for 9 more months =((

ampere

I'm actually miffed that Paladins are getting Light's Hope Chapel, unless that has changed now.

Light's Hope does have a lot of lore though, I could see that being pretty well done.

Bottom line is, if they pick an old place it needs to be totally revamped, which I expect it will be.

ZenaxPure

That's slightly better. It better be bloody huge, and amazing. Don't want some square room with pews.

It's still a work in progress anyway. This is from the blizzcon press kit and it seems to be the same spot from launch trailer but there have been some modifications since then. Greenery taking over is obvious but it looks like there are stairs that lead downward to the pew area (and that area is smaller than it previously was) now. Looks cool.

f24nwQY.jpg

Also fwiw it will be more than one room. If you go back to the Legion launch trailer it shows a different room (the one with that notoriously large Draenor map on the wall). Interview at gamescom also said that different factions of a class may have different sections of the hall. Example they gave was like Sunwalkers having a different area from the Blood Knights. That was a maybe though so we'll see what happens I guess.

ZenaxPure

Basically the WoWlore version of this

The actual hilarious part is that Holy and Prot which are getting brand new weapons both have some awesome backstory to them already (Old Gods, Tyr and Archaedas + Discs of Norgannon backstory). Looks awesome, I want to do those quests.

Also not related at all, but, what is up with the weird ass maintenance times today?

Lomax

Does Anyone know if you can get the anniversary achievement by not having an active account? I don't want to subscribe until the next expansion, and to be honedt, I don't want to go through the trouble of installing the game unless I can do it. Thanks!

You can get the 11 year achievement (it doesn't "ding" but it shows up) but you can't get the thunderfury and that achievement because they get mailed to you. Source - I tried it.

However, you might be able to convince a gm when you resub to give you the package once it is lost from your mail, but it's hard to say.

cdyhybrid

Is Acherus confirmed to be the DK hall as well? I mean it's awesome and I'd be totally cool with that, but they seem to be intentionally giving every class a new location instead of reusing existing ones that may or may not have a strong link to existing classes.

Yes. Sounds like it will be getting a makeover though.

Like 99% confirmed, but we don't know if it's moving to the Broken Isles or staying in the Plaguelands

It floated over to the Broken Isles. You can see it in some of the continent maps that they showed.

Thanks for the heads up, I was able to log-in do my garrison stuff, funnel more mats and gold to my main and do Venomhide daily 15 before I have to go out.

JSoup

Banned
Was really hoping they'd being the old 'valor earned' achievements out of retirement so we could continue earning on them.

Shahadan

I was hoping for that the other day when I came back to my paladin after two years :lol:
Way too many for the use they have, and that kind of stuff don't even need to be there or to be buttons.

They survived Warlords pruning, that was already surprising.

StMeph

What the fuck is up with removing class identity things?

For all the pandering about "Class fantasy" at BlizzCon, they're really not showing that.

DK presences - GONE.
Paladin Seals - GONE.
Warrior Stances - GONE??

To Blizzard, the corner case for switching stances/seals/presences isn't worth being obtuse to people who don't care to read tooltips or learn their class. It's also easier just to bake the passives of those stances into the spec, so if you're Blood you're always automatically in Blood, and Frost is Frost, etc.

empyrean

Where should one start if one wanted to learn about the story of WoW (I've played the game with my character at lvl38 but i don't really have a clue what the overarching story is or anything)?

Shahadan

Where should one start if one wanted to learn about the story of WoW (I've played the game with my character at lvl38 but i don't really have a clue what the overarching story is or anything)?

Warcraft 3 since everything is still warcraft 3 :lol:

Also, reading quests or wowpedia.

There are youtube playlists that show the 3 main storylines from Warcraft III/Frozen Throne, that's where you really want to begin to understand the primary lore behind Vanilla, Burning Crusade and Wrath.

Cataclysm's primary arcs are told in the Goblin/Worgen starting zones and in the questlines through the new zones.

Mists story is literally everywhere, but doing the Lorewalker faction grind should get you the basic overview.

WoD's story is pretty much like mists, you have to pick a character/area of interest and quest in it to get the story. If you want to learn what happens to Garrosh, Grommash, etc you have to play through the zones most closely connected to them and/or make significant progress through the legendary quest.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
What the fuck is up with removing class identity things?

For all the pandering about "Class fantasy" at BlizzCon, they're really not showing that.

DK presences - GONE.
Paladin Seals - GONE.
Warrior Stances - GONE??

Seals I can kind of see being part of the Paladin iconography, but presences were never part of the DK class fantasy for me. They existed purely for game mechanic purposes, just warrior stances with a DK coat of paint. I won't miss em.

Nobbel's channel is awesome, can't second that recommendation enough.

While there is an over-arching story, each zone or sometimes chains of zones have their own contained stories. Some of those stories are wholly experienced through seeing that zone's questing to completion, some of them require a dungeon to finish the narrative off. If you like the lore, the best way to absorb a lot of it is to simply play through all of the quests. You won't get all of the answers but you'll start to know what questions you want to ask.

One of my favourite experiences is the slow boil of leveling an orc through Durotar, the Northern Barrens, Ashenvale, the Stone Talon Mountains and The Southern Barrens. You start off this lowly peon killing boars, start working your way up in the Barrens to bigger things, then you join the fight against the Alliance in Ashenvale and become part of an orc warband in Stone Talon Mountains. You even get a rank and progress up in the warband. Then you see the war in the Southern Barrens, with the Alliance knocking on the gates of Mulgore.

I love that chain of progression. It's probably my favourite lower-level quest chain in the game, improved only by the Goblin starter area. Because old gods, sharks with lasers, towns in boxes, zombies and explosions.

The Forsaken questing experience is pretty great too. You become the right hand ghoul of Sylvannas WIndrunner, oversee the destruction of Gilneas and advance the cause of the Forsaken war machine through the Hillsbrad Foothills up to the Western Plaugelands.

WoD's story is pretty much like mists, you have to pick a character/area of interest and quest in it to get the story. If you want to learn what happens to Garrosh, Grommash, etc you have to play through the zones most closely connected to them and/or make significant progress through the legendary quest.

I'm playing through WotLK for the first time and what I find awesome is if you really see all of the questing through in a zone you get things like the Wrathgate cinematic or Arthas showing up everywhere. One in a dungeon most people just blow through in the dungeon finder and think nothing of. But if you quest through Grizzly Hills you basically discover that you're doing the work of the Lich King by cutting a bloody swathe through Drak'Tharon and his agent promises you immortality if you join him and Arthas.

Arthas is like this boogie man that you see from time to time while questing in Northrend. I don't think I saw Garrosh until that canned fight and cutscene in Nagrand.

I'm playing through WotLK for the first time and what I find awesome is if you really see all of the questing through in a zone you get things like the Wrathgate cinematic or Arthas showing up everywhere. One in a dungeon most people just blow through in the dungeon finder and think nothing of. But if you quest through Grizzly Hills you basically discover that you're doing the work of the Lich King by cutting a bloody swathe through Drak'Tharon and his agent promises you immortality if you join him and Arthas.

Arthas is like this boogie man that you see from time to time while questing in Northrend. I don't think I saw Garrosh until that canned fight and cutscene in Nagrand.

Wrath's questing was top notch, nothing has really surpassed it in terms of rewarding users who went through the grind with story after story of Arthas's impact not only on Northrend, but on significant figures throughout the world of Azeroth and Outland. Icecrown Glacier remains the pinnacle of this design philosophy. There are weak spots in it (all of the Argent stuff in Zul'Drak :X) but it's pretty consistently good in every other respect.

Warlords tried to do the same, but without decades of established lore underneath it and the stupid time-travel conceit, it all came off as rather hollow. It didn't help that enormous chunks of the lore are tied behind months-long grinds for a legendary ring. The nagrand finale wasn't that bad, I liked the siege subevent and the notion that you were actually chasing down and cornering Garrosh once and for all.

This is so terrible, but I currently have so many corporation offers in EVE Online that I'm making a spreadsheet to sort through them all. o.o

Spreadsheets in space indeed.

And screw this valor grind, though I'm probably gonna end up LFRing with my raid tonight just to blast through some of it.

erawsd

Fuuuuuuu all this talk about legion makes me so fucking excited and then you look at the calendar realizing you have to wait for 9 more months =((

Yeah, I know the feeling. Ive never been too bothered by the gaps between WoW expacs because I'm usually ready for a long break from the game and by the time the next expac is out Im pumped to jump back in... WoD is different because I ended up quitting before 6.1 was even released. the Legion announcements have gotten me excited to play wow again.. but I dont wanna play this WoW and that 9 month wait really bums me out.

phierce

Apparently some people have been hearing a Fel Reaver noise since the new patch launched. Anyone else heard it?
Thought it was interesting.

Sources:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/19891879569?page=1
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1902202-Fel-Reaver-noises
https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/3t7oat/felreaver_noises_im_not_insane_right/

I haven't been on long enough to hear it yet but hoping I do!
I actually just heard it when I logged in one of my toons who was camped out in Warspear. It happened right as the loading screen finished.

Robin64

The Felreaver noises seem to be happening for people when people join/leave a group. So the question is, what addon do they all have that's doing it?

Top Bottom