• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Tenebrous

I don't either, but here we are years later and it's still a problem :lol

Which is why I've given up all hope and now spend my PvP time playing balanced games. Shit, at least when WoW was imbalanced before it was imbalanced in a goofy way... Now it's just depressing.

keffri

oCWdgOl.jpg

I've been having some pretty good luck lately.

Tenebrous

Grats on the coolest flyer ever. I'll always love that mount, regardless of how many people get it.

Went to ICC to get myself another DBW (I must've vendored mine) for timewalking... Killed Saurfang, but the chest vanished along with all the NPCs, so no loot for me.

Still, on LK now, so Invincible please!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think I may switch from my long time main Shaman to my rogue for Legion.

I always chicken out though because I have too much cool stuff on my Shaman

Lomax

I'm glad they aren't forcing a staff onto my Demo warlock, though I'll be pretty upset if she loses her demon wings completely, which is what it sounds like. Can't really blame them for the remake though, and hopefully what they are trying to do with demons will work out.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
The Legion pre-patch launch event sounds pretty neat. We knew about the Broken Shore event and also heard there'd be some spill over into Azeroth (Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms) but I don't think they went into too many details.

Cory Stockton described it as the Legion invading multiple areas in Azeroth and they can even invade a whole zone where unique quests would open up until you can force the Legion out. A few days later or so they would invade a different zone.
Could be interesting if they go all out.

I'll be curious as well to see which zones they choose.

Source: https://youtu.be/vbIsoQn0jsw?t=15m06s

Nere

Maybe it is just me but you know which class/race combination could never understand? Undead hunters, how can animals bond with a dead person? Hunter is a bit like a nature class similar to druids and shamans I think they don't suit undeads at all, never understood it never will.

strafer

Maybe it is just me but you know which class/race combination could never understand? Undead hunters, how can animals bond with a dead person? Hunter is a bit like a nature class similar to druids and shamans I think they don't suit undeads at all, never understood it never will.

Well..ever since I met this guy I always wanted Undead Hunters.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Nathanos_Blightcaller
In life, Nathanos Marris was trained by the high elves in the ways of war. Nathanos' accomplishments were unprecedented. He was a tactical genius, responsible for Alliance victories spanning a decade of conflict.[2] Nathanos Marris was the first and only human ranger lord, appointed as such by Ranger General Sylvanas Windrunner. His inclusion in the ranks of the ranger lords was not without its conflicts. Kael'thas Sunstrider opposed the appointment, but Sylvanas did it anyway, impressed with Nathanos' ability. Though trained by high elves, Nathanos appears to have spent much of his time south of Quel'Thalas at his home, the Marris Stead.

Kangi

Forsaken have every playable class humans have, save Paladin.

...They're dead humans, so. Makes sense.

Nere

Forsaken have every playable class humans have, save Paladin.

...They're dead humans, so. Makes sense.

It doesn't make sense because animals and dead humans just don't match. Maybe if they had like an undead version of every pet then yeah but as of right now nope.

Atlantis

Well, flip it around. How can undead animals make a bond with living person? Why would a class like a Hunter even WANT an unnatural companion like an undead animal in the first place?

In Lore Undead Hunters probably commune only with undead animals and more sinister things like bats and spiders, but gameplay beats lore in this case. Same reason Undead can be Holy Priests I guess.

Kangi

It doesn't make sense because animals and dead humans just don't match. Maybe if they had like an undead version of every pet then yeah but as of right now nope.

I mean, I expect that for lore purposes no Forsaken Hunter in their right mind would try to make an average bone-hungry dog their companion. But otherwise, I see no reason why it's a problem. Gnomes taming animals that could eat them in one bite is far sillier.

cdyhybrid

You're thinking way too hard about this.

Why not? Animals love dead people.

And where my forsaken paladin at yo.

Presumably he incinerated himself the first time he tried to do anything Paladin-ish.

Priests only use the Light as a mage uses Arcane magic. Paladins have the Light become a part of their being, which would go quite poorly for the Forsaken.

Robin64

Q: Are there long-term effects on an undead who is in regular contact with the Holy Light in a positive way?

A: It is difficult to say, as there are no known records of undead wielding the Holy Light before the Third War. There are reports, however, that some Forsaken have slowly experienced a sharpening of their dulled senses of touch, smell, etc., as well as an increase in the flashes of positive emotions that have otherwise become so rare since their fall into undeath. Unfortunately, this may be the cause of the Forsaken priesthood's increased attempts at self-destruction; regaining these senses would force the priests to smell their own rotting flesh, taste the decay in their mouths and throats, and even feel the maggots burrowing within their bodies.

Yummy!

And the only person to ever maintain being a paladin during undeath was Sir Zeliek. So it's possible, but really really unlikely.

Really the existence of Holy Priest undead nullifies any concerns about a paladin.

Even if it didn't, they could come up with some story bs like they did for blood elf paladins and tauren pallies.

Zelias

Banned
At this point I just feel like they should probably open up all class combos for all races, except maybe Pandaren Death Knights (and I'm fine with Demon Hunters being Elf only). It feels like there's been enough time and cultural mingling amongst the races of Azeroth that any race should have people who are willing to adapt to classes not associated with their race.

Magnus

Huh, so now that I'm wrapping my head around time walking, I'm realizing that it might be beneficial to actually keep old gear with great effects or bonuses around, since they'd scale down to the same level and be incredibly useful again.

Like, for the Wrath and BC time walking, I should be using my Vala'nyr as a BiS probably, right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Huh, so now that I'm wrapping my head around time walking, I'm realizing that it might be beneficial to actually keep old gear with great effects or bonuses around, since they'd scale down to the same level and be incredibly useful again.

Like, for the Wrath and BC time walking, I should be using my Vala'nyr as a BiS probably, right?

Nah, no gem slots

iirate

Really the existence of Holy Priest undead nullifies any concerns about a paladin.

Even if it didn't, they could come up with some story bs like they did for blood elf paladins and tauren pallies.

I know I'm stretching here, but I'd love for the following to happen(tagging for Legion speculation/summary blurb info just in case):

1. Tirion dies at the Tomb of Sargeras(already heavily speculated, but not confirmed)

2. Sylvanas dies at some point in Legion(far from confirmed, but Legion does focus on her, we go to a form of heaven and hell, and her arc is apparently focusing on her own mortality, plus there's hints that she may make some grand sacrifice for the forsaken)

3. Tirion returns to lead the forsaken, and the forsaken are finally properly folded into the greater horde(the growing pains of a newer, more cooperative forsaken could make for some good content in the xpac following Legion).

4. In the expansion following Legion, we get several new race/class combos(with forsaken paladins and non-elf DHs being likely)

Tenebrous

Nah, no gem slots

Surely the proc would make up for it? I'll be taking Souldrinker for Wrath/Cata timewalking, and Thunderfury for TBC timewalking.

Still in the process of sorting out my gear sets. Hoping to have a tank set ready for Wednesday, but if not, I'll just throw on dual-Sulfuras and see what happens.

Shahadan

I don't get why we're getting gnomes hunters...It's something they would usually keep for another xpac and it wouldn't be the only combo...

We're getting Gnome Hunters because people have been asking for that class combo for a while. It only makes sense since Gnomes excel at engineering. They can make rifles that they can't use even though their starting area is littered with gnome NPCs wielding rifles. It would be a neat restriction if they couldn't wield bows and were limited to rifles and crossbows.

I know I'm stretching here, but I'd love for the following to happen(tagging for Legion speculation/summary blurb info just in case):

1. Tirion dies at the Tomb of Sargeras(already heavily speculated, but not confirmed)

2. Sylvanas dies at some point in Legion(far from confirmed, but Legion does focus on her, we go to a form of heaven and hell, and her arc is apparently focusing on her own mortality, plus there's hints that she may make some grand sacrifice for the forsaken)

3. Tirion returns to lead the forsaken, and the forsaken are finally properly folded into the greater horde(the growing pains of a newer, more cooperative forsaken could make for some good content in the xpac following Legion).

4. In the expansion following Legion, we get several new race/class combos(with forsaken paladins and non-elf DHs being likely)

There's no way they would kill Sylvanas. No way. Blizzard are talking about increasing diversity in all of their games, putting more women who aren't overly sexualised in the forefront of many of their games because of fan complaints. This something Mike Morhaime pledged to change. Sylvanas is the ONLY woman who currently leads a faction. If anything changes with Sylvanas it would be something like her leading the Horde. That could be genuinely interesting. It could create some tension within the Horde, with the upstart Blood Elves and untrustworthy Forsaken coming to the forefront and with the Alliance because basically the Lich Queen now leads the Horde.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
We're getting Gnome Hunters because people have been asking for that class combo for a while. It only makes sense since Gnomes excel at engineering. They can make rifles that they can't use even though their starting area is littered with gnome NPCs wielding rifles. It would be a neat restriction if they couldn't wield bows and were limited to rifles and crossbows.

There's no way they would kill Sylvanas. No way. Blizzard are talking about increasing diversity in all of their games, putting more women who aren't overly sexualised in the forefront of many of their games because of fan complaints. This something Mike Morhaime pledged to change. Sylvanas is the ONLY woman who currently leads a faction. If anything changes with Sylvanas it would be something like her leading the Horde. That could be genuinely interesting. It could create some tension within the Horde, with the upstart Blood Elves and untrustworthy Forsaken coming to the forefront and with the Alliance because basically the Lich Queen now leads the Horde.

Tirion in particular seems like a bit of an odd pick. I always figured if they ever decided to kill her off/turn her into a loot piñata they'd probably build up someone like Lillian Voss to replace her, which would make a lot more sense than Tirion.

I also got the impression from pandaria/isle of thunder questing in particular that after the whole dalaran incident fucked up chances of the belves rejoining the alliance that loth'remar seemed fairly loyal to the horde (albeit just not Garrosh) in fact I can't remember where but I remember getting the impression even the belves were uneasy about Sylvanas. I don't think anyone trusts her much after Cata.

ampere

Surely the proc would make up for it? I'll be taking Souldrinker for Wrath/Cata timewalking, and Thunderfury for TBC timewalking.

Still in the process of sorting out my gear sets. Hoping to have a tank set ready for Wednesday, but if not, I'll just throw on dual-Sulfuras and see what happens.

Nope. The proc is weak in timewalking

Only stuff worth wearing are lots of gem slots and some of the OP set bonuses. Shield Slam bonuses probably do not fall into that category since Shield Slam has next to 0 AP scaling at low levels as part of that old nerf when it was OP at low levels pre squish.

Tenebrous

Nope. The proc is weak in timewalking

Only stuff worth wearing are lots of gem slots and some of the OP set bonuses. Shield Slam bonuses probably do not fall into that category since Shield Slam has next to 0 AP scaling at low levels as part of that old nerf when it was OP at low levels pre squish.

Ah right. I guess I'll be swapping my (2) T10 bonus out for the (2) T13 bonus (can't use the former in Cata, anyway). Paired with (2) T16, I think that Warriors could be nigh on unkillable...

T13: Your Revenge ability now also grants a physical absorption shield equal to 20% of the damage done by revenge to your primary target.
T16: You heal for 30% of all damage blocked with a shield & 30% of all damage absorbed by shield barrier.

Other than that, sockets & mastery everywhere!

Lomax

I really like the idea of
Tirion dying and joining the undead, that would be cool. Though honestly they've beaten the "he's dead but now back" trope to death so much they may just make him dead-dead to spite that. I really don't see them eliminating Sylvanas though.

strafer

If they do number 2 I will seriously quit game.

Tirion in particular seems like a bit of an odd pick. I always figured if they ever decided to kill her off/turn her into a loot piñata they'd probably build up someone like Lillian Voss to replace her, which would make a lot more sense than Tirion.

I also got the impression from pandaria/isle of thunder questing in particular that after the whole dalaran incident fucked up chances of the belves rejoining the alliance that loth'remar seemed fairly loyal to the horde (albeit just not Garrosh) in fact I can't remember where but I remember getting the impression even the belves were uneasy about Sylvanas. I don't think anyone trusts her much after Cata.

Do we need to spoiler this still?

If we buy into the idea that Warlords of Draenor and Legion are Burning Crusade 2.0, that means there's the possibility of the next expansion being Rise of the Lich Queen. If they do use Legion to help build up Lillian Voss or some other prominent Forsaken character, and Sylvanas does discover the means to make more corrupted Val'kyr so she can ensure her continued undeath as well as making more Forsaken, then she could become the next villain. Sylvanas is already pretty evil, if you play through the Worgen and Forsaken starting areas, it's fairly obvious so this wouldn't be the tired corruption trope. It would be funny if that whole arc happens in Legion, I mean they're already dealing with the Emerald Nightmare and Queen Azshara with dungeons, it would be funny if the rise of the Lich Queen happens in Legion and ends with a raid in Legion and someone like Lillian Voss is the new Dark Lady of the Forsaken.

ampere

Ah right. I guess I'll be swapping my (2) T10 bonus out for the (2) T13 bonus (can't use the former in Cata, anyway). Paired with (2) T16, I think that Warriors could be nigh on unkillable...

T13: Your Revenge ability now also grants a physical absorption shield equal to 20% of the damage done by revenge to your primary target.
T16: You heal for 30% of all damage blocked with a shield & 30% of all damage absorbed by shield barrier.

Other than that, sockets & mastery everywhere!

Those should be good bonuses. Revenge still hits really hard at lower levels

If they do number 2 I will seriously quit game.

Are you even subbed atm

While on the subject of wishes and fishes, I wish they would do a couple of things to Azeroth going forward. First would be update a lot of the assests in the 1-60 zones. Drag the game kicking and screaming out of Vanilla. Fix Stormwind and Silvermoon. Let the Gnomes re-take Gnomeregan already. Integrate the Draenei and Blood Elf starting zones properly into the world. Second, if it turns out to be a good thing, would be to add the level scaling that's in Legion to Azeroth's 1-60 zones. Let people quest where ever they want rather than going through the same paths through the same zones over and over. Third would be to add public events that are thematically tied into the questing of the zone and unlock after you complete the questing and exploration achievements for that zone.

If the level scaling is there, you could be dropped down to the max level of that zone, sort of like Time Walking events, or Legion scaling could be applied so the challenge is appropriate to all players. These public events could provide valour points or some other currency that is a viable reward for players of all levels but maybe only used once you're max level for gear. Or it could be another avenue for leveling players to earn heirlooms,

For example, Bilgewater Bay is supposed to be the Goblin capitol that replaces Kezan, right now it's home to like 4 or 5 quests in the mid-point of questing through Azshara and that's it. You clear those quests and never go back. What if once you clear the Azshara questing and exploration achievements you unlock the public events, like defending Bilgewater from a Naga invasion. Or needing to defend the border from a Night Elf invasion. Each area could have two or three public events loosely based on the over-arching stories of each area. Contested zones public events could be world pvp, although I have no idea of how they would handle that.

I know that Blizzard's approach has been to speed people up through leveling fast and faster with heirlooms and level boosts. But with the 90/100 level boosts, there's a reward for getting your toon to 60 first. Public events would be another way to make the earlier questing zones viable to high level players and maybe feel like more of a living world for everyone. I know there's profession mat farming, archaeology and pets but none of those are group activities. They could tie valor points, some titles and achievements to it, maybe even a mount to completing public events. And they don't need to add it to ALL of the game, just Azeroth.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

At this point I hope Yrel comes over to the main universe. It was so refreshing having the Draenei actually do something.

Tirion being undead would be cool and it would make room for Turalyon or his son to become a significant Alliance Paladin figure

ZenaxPure

If the level scaling is there, you could be dropped down to the max level of that zone, sort of like Time Walking events, or Legion scaling could be applied so the challenge is appropriate to all players.

I actually wonder if the scaling tech for Broken Isles is more or less a test to get it up and running in a few zones before applying it to older stuff. Blizz typically works with a small test bed first before applying big game changing stuff to the rest of the game.

But yes I agree. I said the same thing a few pages back. Public questing in every other MMO I've played has been immensely fun, it's a great concept. The new outdoor systems they have planned for Legion aren't exactly the same thing but the role they fill is similar (since many of the events on the map will rotate out every few hours giving you new ones and this is across 4-5 zones (no idea if Surarmar is included)). I would love to see that concept come to non-Legion zones someday.

JSoup

Banned
While on the subject of wishes and fishes, I wish they would do a couple of things to Azeroth going forward. First would be update a lot of the assests in the 1-60 zones. Drag the game kicking and screaming out of Vanilla. Fix Stormwind and Silvermoon. Let the Gnomes re-take Gnomeregan already. Integrate the Draenei and Blood Elf starting zones properly into the world. Second, if it turns out to be a good thing, would be to add the level scaling that's in Legion to Azeroth's 1-60 zones. Let people quest where ever they want rather than going through the same paths through the same zones over and over. Third would be to add public events that are thematically tied into the questing of the zone and unlock after you complete the questing and exploration achievements for that zone.

I proposed something like this a bunch of months ago. Basically, screw raid tiers and all that junk, have a mini-expansion that's just a giant box of fixes and additions that people have been asking for repeatedly.

If the level scaling is there, you could be dropped down to the max level of that zone, sort of like Time Walking events, or Legion scaling could be applied so the challenge is appropriate to all players.

Guild Wars 2 does this. When you enter a zone, you're either lowered to the highest recommended level for the zone or the lowest recommended level if you're under level for the zone.

ZenaxPure

Guild Wars 2 does this. When you enter a zone, you're either lowered to the highest recommended level for the zone or the lowest recommended level if you're under level for the zone.

A crap ton of MMOs do it, not just GW2. I would say it's actually a norm of the genre nowadays. It's why it's such a shame blizz hasn't done something similar before now. I actually really like how Rift does it personally, you can just right click your portrait and type in a number to be whatever level you want (though you can't go above what your actual real level is).

I actually wonder if the scaling tech for Broken Isles is more or less a test to get it up and running in a few zones before applying it to older stuff. Blizz typically works with a small test bed first before applying big game changing stuff to the rest of the game.

But yes I agree. I said the same thing a few pages back. Public questing in every other MMO I've played has been immensely fun, it's a great concept. The new outdoor systems they have planned for Legion aren't exactly the same thing but the role they fill is similar (since many of the events on the map will rotate out every few hours giving you new ones and this is across 4-5 zones (no idea if Surarmar is included)). I would love to see that concept come to non-Legion zones someday.

I just hope they do something with Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. To keep the areas viable, populated and feel less like a ghost town once you hit 15. Flexible questing would be huge. Rolling public events could help make the world feel more vibrant. They could just level gate access to B.C., WotLK, MoP content

I proposed something like this a bunch of months ago. Basically, screw raid tiers and all that junk, have a mini-expansion that's just a giant box of fixes and additions that people have been asking for repeatedly.

I don't think the subscriber base would survive the toxic shock of an expansion without new raid tiers. Maybe if Legion's end-game is awesome and everyone is on board with it. I imagine it would have to be something they do between expansions, in the content lull, to stop subscriber bleed and make some more positive in-roads with players.

Why are you people spoiler tagging shit you're making up?

To annoy you :3

Showaddy

It's Varian, no one would cry. We were all hoping he would die at the start of Legion.

People seem to have warmed to him a bit since the cinematic though, getting more of his back story through the Warcraft film should help him further.

And anyway most people just assumed he'd die because Shalamayne seemed like an absolute lock for a warrior artifact.

Top Bottom