• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Should also adopt FFXIV's Player Commendation feature in some form. Maybe make it more automated, so a DPS player who is able to beat a boss in LFR without dying and while dealing a decent amount of damage gets one, say. No awards for AFKers then.

Yeah, some sort of accountability/commendation system could be helpful in addressing some of the issues I mentioned, assuming it wasn't easy to abuse. Blizzard can't even fucking figure out vote to kick, though.

ZenaxPure

Isn't wildstar doing horribly right now, or are they making a comeback?

The Wildstar situation is hilarious. They made this game pandering to this vanilla WoW mentality/nostalgia and then when it (obviously) blew up in their face they made the fastest turn around in history. Just go search news articles about wildstar from earlier in the year and it's just nonstop talk about how they plan to make the game more accessible and focus on smaller/solo content and bite sized content.

It's incredible anyone can look at Wildstar with a straight face and say WoW needs to do all those things that exact game did.

Jag

• Class Quests is back

Hunter class quest is still one of my favorite PC gaming experiences (and this is going back to the early 80s). I had to work my ass off not only to prepare materials but also to master the skills that made me a better player.

I also really like the realm hopping tool they put in WoD. Being able to jump to other Garrisons for NPCs or to find timed spawns is really nice time saving idea. Blizz got a ton of things wrong with WoD, but they also got some things right.

Robin64

I also really like the realm hopping tool they put in WoD. Being able to jump to other Garrisons for NPCs or to find timed spawns is really nice time saving idea. Blizz got a ton of things wrong with WoD, but they also got some things right.

On the other hand, we shouldn't have to do this crap in the first place.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dungeon Finder for your current realm only would be okay. It's always nice when you enter the current DF and see someone from your realm there, so four others would be even betterer.

As nice as Dungeon finder for your own realm only sounds, I fear the queue time would be more ridiculous than the current LFR.

The Wildstar situation is hilarious. They made this game pandering to this vanilla WoW mentality/nostalgia and then when it (obviously) blew up in their face they made the fastest turn around in history. Just go search news articles about wildstar from earlier in the year and it's just nonstop talk about how they plan to make the game more accessible and focus on smaller/solo content and bite sized content.

It's incredible anyone can look at Wildstar with a straight face and say WoW needs to do all those things that exact game did.

Yeah, this is my point. There's no way old-school "hard-content" WoW would turn the game around. It would make the game better for some maybe, but not a large swath of more casual players, whose subscription also begs development attention.

Now if they announced vanilla servers and modern servers as separate entities, they could appeal to both camps. It just won't happen.

If they really get to a point where expansions are released yearly, or maybe every 1.5 years, they'll still make up a lot of revenue due to box sales and people resubbing.

Robin64

As nice as Dungeon finder for your own realm only sounds, I fear the queue time would be more ridiculous than the current LFR.

Yep, that's one of the problems sadly. Mostly why I would personally limit it to purely dungeons to begin with, maybe tune dungeons for 6 players instead of 5, get another dps in there.

Shahadan

I wish there was some Raid Proving Ground, where you're solo with some bots and you have to actually learn the strategy. Regular proving grounds have at least this quality, you know what to do and how you fucked up and no one to save your ass.

Would probably be "too much work©" but that would save a hell of a lot of time in actual raids. Make it a requirement for LFR or something.

Point is, popping into the raid waiting for someone to explain, remember everything at once, or having to watch a video somewhere before even stepping foot in the instance, all of those are horribly, horribly stupid and ineffective. And from another age. Fuck this.

Plus that way you could train if you have trouble somewhere without waiting for the next week.

Robin64

A lot of LFR players need to be somehow made aware when they are tunnel-visioning and missing mechanics. More feedback somehow. See people yelling so much in the chat to go and attack or "attack the one with the fucking skull!" and yet people still don't do it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
A lot of LFR players need to be somehow made aware when they are tunnel-visioning and missing mechanics. More feedback somehow. See people yelling so much in the chat to go and attack or "attack the one with the fucking skull!" and yet people still don't do it.

People are too busy watching their favorite movie, tv show or cartoon while "doing" LFR. Blizzard should put some system like "I don't see you pushing buttons after 10 secs during a boss fight? No loot!" Maybe not as drastic, but anything to stop the people going afk.

ZenaxPure

If they really get to a point where expansions are released yearly, or maybe every 1.5 years, they'll still make up a lot of revenue due to box sales and people resubbing.

That assumes the expansions are actually good. I assume that was implied but it's important enough to emphasize.

Still though, that seems like such a short sighted plan to me, I honestly don't think most of the player base wants to have a gear reset + level to the new level cap every single year. Sounds like a recipe for burn out.

Robin64

I'm honestly half expecting a slide tomorrow stating "No level cap increase! Everyone stays at level 100. Alternative progression for the expansion" bombshell.

I'm almost certainly going to come back for the new expansion, but yeah, I don't see how Blizzard can rely on just expansions to keep padding numbers for a brief time. If the drop-off in quality from leveling to end-game is the same in the new expansion as it was in WoD, this'll almost certainly be my last foray into WoW.

I just wish there was mythic difficulty content for smaller groups, too. I much prefer FFXIV's 8-man endgame to the thought of a 20 person one. However, I suppose there's no way they backtrack on Mythic = 20 person only.

edit: To the above, I'm fine if no level increase, but there better be new class skills.

Interfectum

Yeah the Wildstar stuff is funny. You can't go back to vanilla WoW because it's directly tied to the time it came out. It was about the newness and discovery. The timesinks were tolerated then because of that. You cant just artificially add timesinks into an old concept and expect the same results.

Tenebrous

I'm honestly half expecting a slide tomorrow stating "No level cap increase! Everyone stays at level 100. Alternative progression for the expansion" bombshell.

Fingers crossed. The quickest way to lose my interest would be something predictable & samey...

• Level Cap Increased to 105/110
  • New Zone
  • One new Battleground
  • One new Profession
Something like that would not be enough. This needs to be huge.

ZenaxPure

Yeah the Wildstar stuff is funny. You can't go back to vanilla WoW because it's directly tied to the time it came out. It was about the newness and discovery. The timesinks were tolerated then because of that. You cant just artificially add timesinks into an old concept and expect the same results.

Exactly. People only need to look at recent history to realize this as well. Look at "A Test of Valor" from Mists. It was nothing but a cheap artificial time gate on the quest chain and people absolutely loathed it.

Almost no one actually wants that kind of artificial padding anymore.

However, I suppose there's no way they backtrack on Mythic = 20 person only.

Sure there is, if there is one thing Blizz has always been willing to experiment with it's raiding. Raid structure (difficulty/how many people you can bring) has changed in literally every single expansion, I would be surprised if nothing about it changed next expansion.

I really don't think WildStar captured the Vanilla feel anyway. It failed because it's not that good an MMO. People like to attribute "long grindy bullshit" to what folks are nostalgic about Vanilla for. Maybe that's the case for a few, but it's a major straw man.

In any case, I liked MP5 as a mechanic. Maybe "strategic not playing your class" is a little awkward, but still.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Should also adopt FFXIV's Player Commendation feature in some form. Maybe make it more automated, so a DPS player who is able to beat a boss in LFR without dying and while dealing a decent amount of damage gets one, say. No awards for AFKers then.

I like the idea of this system, but I feel that it should be automated in some way.

As fucking difficult as that would be to implement properly. _magic_

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a "level crunch" to bring max level back down to 60. Increase the required exp per level, and add more stuff to do for leveling besides questing/battlegrounds.

I like the idea of this system, but I feel that it should be automated in some way.

As fucking difficult as that would be to implement properly. _magic_

It's done manually to encourage people to communicate and help others, but without that no one commends DPS, they just commend the tank or healer depending on who seemed to carry the group more.

Granadier

It's done manually to encourage people to communicate and help others, but without that no one commends DPS, they just commend the tank or healer depending on who seemed to carry the group more.

Good point. Automation would probably result in more of the LFR effect.

Robin64

I actually got a load of commendations in FFXIV as DPS, brilliantly, by just being chatty and trying to inject fun into the run. Good times.

ZenaxPure

I actually got a load of commendations in FFXIV as DPS, brilliantly, by just being chatty and trying to inject fun into the run. Good times.

It's a cool system. Blizzard is honestly really behind on a lot of the systems that promote behaving like an adult. Not even in WoW either, HoTS is kind of a shit show when it comes to that kind of stuff. Playing with random people is an incredibly toxic experience and there isn't much you can do about it other than completely turn off chat.

Robin64

xfIJga6.png

kek

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/3fvgmp/world_of_warcraft_eye_of_azshara_is_the_new/

Robin64

"Fake, the IP numbers of the trademarks submitted yesterday are 1024***"

People always miss details when making these.

Granadier

lol, yeah i'm sure they would trademark the name of their expansion two days before announcing it.

not back when they originally started to ensure that the name tied to all of their development wouldn't be snatched from them.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's almost definitely been trademarked for a while now, just in a small/poor country that doesn't have an online database.

New WoW expansion is called Rage of Metzen. Heard this from my cousin's mother's brother's uncle's nephew's father who works for Capcom.

Anoregon

Also not sure on the words Nazjatar or Azshara being in an expansion title.

Same. A naga/sea based expansion would probably have an aquatic-sounding title that did not reference specific places/characters that people may not be very familiar with. Like "Fury of the Tides" or some shit.

Interfectum

Same. A naga/sea based expansion would probably have an aquatic-sounding title that did not reference specific places/characters that people may not be very familiar with. Like "Fury of the Tides" or some shit.

Fury of the Tides
Terror of the Deep
Depths of Chaos

Metzen approved! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Anoregon

World of Warcraft: Tides of Darkness

kappa

ampere

World of Warcraft: Rise of the Burning Legion

Gul'dan on the cover. 3 Orc covers in a row, a new Guinness World Record!

Anoregon

World of Datecraft: Please Respond

Top Bottom