• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Jag

so how do you get on the PTR. do you have to be invited like beta? There wasnt an option in the battle.net launcher under wow. Only my 1 account.

Everyone can get on the PTR. If you don't have the option in your launcher, I think you can join the ptr from your battle.net account page and then it should appear in your launcher. Everything from that point is done through the launcher/game.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
He specifically said they replaced it with something else instead. So it's not just cut content in the sense that "welp now we have less to look forward to." they came up with a different zone instead (wouldn't say what it was though).

Right, and I don't think he's lying, but there's also a slight aspect of "I'll believe it when I see it."

If they have a new island or whatever already in the works and ready to talk about/show at this year's Blizzcon, that will definitely be a good sign.

ZenaxPure

Right, and I don't think he's lying, but there's also a slight aspect of "I'll believe it when I see it."

Agreed 100% on my part, they have to show not tell with Legion.

He actually says as much in the interview. He basically just says along the lines of "yeah I can't blame people for not believing anything we say about future content after Warlords." He was surprisingly open about how disappointing WoD was and that they lost trust with people. Actually bummed me out a little because he talked about some of the things they could have delved into during WoD had it been longer, specifically Shattrath/Shadow Council storylines and more Arakkoa content. Would have loved to see both of those things

Though frankly I am still reeling that someone at Blizzard actually said yearly expansions are a bad idea, never thought that day would come. The even better part is his reasoning was exactly how I feel: with yearly expansions you don't get that sense of advancement/exploration of a continent. It feels like you are just passing through instead of settling it and actually changing what is happening there.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Agreed 100% on my part, they have to show not tell with Legion.

He actually says as much in the interview. He basically just says along the lines of "yeah I can't blame people for not believing anything we say about future content after Warlords." He was surprisingly open about how disappointing WoD was and that they lost trust with people. Actually bummed me out a little because he talked about some of the things they could have delved into during WoD had it been longer, specifically Shattrath/Shadow Council storylines and more Arakkoa content. Would have loved to see both of those things

Though frankly I am still reeling that someone at Blizzard actually said yearly expansions are a bad idea, never thought that day would come. The even better part is his reasoning was exactly how I feel: with yearly expansions you don't get that sense of advancement/exploration of a continent. It feels like you are just passing through instead of settling it and actually changing what is happening there.

Word. At the very least it at sounds like they know what they are doing with Legion. There seems to be an actual fundamental understanding of the specific faults of WoD that led to peoples' disappointment, and that they have made specific efforts to not repeat those mistakes. It's certainly more comforting than the sort of generic PR speak of just hyping up the new thing; they are actually talking about their previous failings and how they intend to avoid them.

ampere

Having to level up and gear reset every year would be awful IMO.

2 year expansions with steady content would be ideal, but I highly doubt we'll get the steady content part. They've never delivered on it, no reason to think they will now.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Having to level up and gear reset every year would be awful IMO.

2 year expansions with steady content would be ideal, but I highly doubt we'll get the steady content part. They've never delivered on it, no reason to think they will now.

Pretty much. If the content was released with regularity ever 5-7 months, I'd be happy.

Zelias

Banned
Glad they're backtracking on yearly expansions. Nobody at this point believes they would be capable of doing it without severely starving them on content, and who wants to pay every year for half-baked expacs?

It does sound like they genuinely want to support Legion with patch content, but things like cutting Thal'dranath don't exactly inspire confidence. Sure, they have another cool idea, they say... but at this point I have to agree that Blizzard have to show, not tell.

Unrelated, but wondering if I should jump on the PTR to see what Frost DK is like.

Anoregon

Unrelated, but wondering if I should jump on the PTR to see what Frost DK is like.

Of course! pre-xpac patch is the best (and for me only) time to hop on PTR.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So the amount of DHs is going to be obvious since it's a new class and that

but going by PTR and what i've seen of beta... Get ready for a million Fury Warriors. Hope you've got a guild already if you plan on playing one

ZenaxPure

Also seen plenty of people bitch about it already but I like the idea with the Titanforged stuff myself. Basically gives a small glimmer of hope that any content considered non-relevant for power gains can actually give you an upgrade now. I assume it works exactly like the warforged system currently in Mythic dungeons which seems fine to me. I ran every mythic dungeon for months this year and I only found like 2 items that upgraded to the maximum ilvl (725) but I got plenty of other upgrades in the 700-715 range.

It's not like people doing world quests are going to be decked out in full mythic raid ilvl gear but they will occasionally get something on that level and it will be a cool moment. Would have killed for that system in WoD with how many times I helped friends do the 3 core part of the Legendary quest chain. Sure I may have never gotten a good item constantly running Everbloom/Grimrail/Slag/Auchindoun but at least the hope would have been there.

Zelias

Banned
Of course! pre-xpac patch is the best (and for me only) time to hop on PTR.
Yeah, I think the last time I hopped onto the PTR was... Cataclysm pre-patch, lol.

Also seen plenty of people bitch about it already but I like the idea with the Titanforged stuff myself. Basically gives a small glimmer of hope that any content considered non-relevant for power gains can actually give you an upgrade now. I assume it works exactly like the warforged system currently in Mythic dungeons which seems fine to me. I ran every mythic dungeon for months this year and I only found like 2 items that upgraded to the maximum ilvl (725) but I got plenty of other upgrades in the 700-715 range.

It's not like people doing world quests are going to be decked out in full mythic raid ilvl gear but they will occasionally get something on that level and it will be a cool moment. Would have killed for that system in WoD with how many times I helped friends do the 3 core part of the Legendary quest chain. Sure I may have never gotten a good item constantly running Everbloom/Grimrail/Slag/Auchindoun but at least the hope would have been there.
I'm perfectly fine with Titanforging. I'm not a Mythic raider and I'm certainly no Gladiator, so people having better gear than me doesn't bother me whether they got it in high-end content or just got lucky. With things like Mythic mounts, achievements and titles, there's still something to aspire to beyond simple power gains... and it's not like getting a Mythic-equivalent Titanforged item is going to turn a casual into a Mythic raider.

ZenaxPure

and it's not like getting a Mythic-equivalent Titanforged item is going to turn a casual into a Mythic raider.

Pretty much. I think the smart part about it is that typically the easier content is the faster you gear up from it and eventually have no more use for it. You could get a full set of gear from the Timeless Isle in a fraction of the time it took to gear up in Heroic SoO and then it felt less rewarding to do TI even if you found it fun. A titanforging-like system extends the tail on that easier content for people that want to just keep doing it which is nothing but a good thing.

Anoregon

The festering stacks in Legion don't increase damage, right?

It's a really weird system for Unholy

Yeah, you can get like a stack of 10 going, but it doesn't really look like there's any reason to. Scourge Strike only pops one at a time, so I don't see the benefit of building up a stack. Maybe just for when you want burst so you can spam like 6 Scourge Strikes in a row?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, you can get like a stack of 10 going, but it doesn't really look like there's any reason to. Scourge Strike only pops one at a time, so I don't see the benefit of building up a stack. Maybe just for when you want burst so you can spam like 6 Scourge Strikes in a row?

Your abomination has a random chance to apply a stack too.

It's a very weird system. Frost feels a lot better thought out.

ZenaxPure

It's another one of those situations where your artifact weapon fills in a gap there. The Unholy artifact ability is a shortish cooldown (1 and a half minute iirc) that pops every stack and summons a ghoul for each stack popped.

There are also some talents that effect the stacks in various ways but I assume you've seen those. I personally like the one that causes crits to pop an extra stack (and festering crits to generate more stacks).

I copied over a character with completed garrison and shipyard missions just to see what would happen on the PTR. Every single one failed even if they were at 100% and I lost 4 ships on 100% missions. I thought it was quite funny.

Jag

I copied over a character with completed garrison and shipyard missions just to see what would happen on the PTR. Every single one failed even if they were at 100% and I lost 4 ships on 100% missions. I thought it was quite funny.

I failed every mission too. Had a full stack of missions, most at 100%, all failed.

Windwalker feels a lot faster and more fluid though there's a couple changes to it that really throw you off because they're similar but different.

Spinning Crane Kick being a chi spender, Touch of Death being a damage cooldown that you want to hit at the start which is the complete opposite of what you expect, Tiger power and jab being merged together, SEF being a cooldown with a charge, no stun on Fists of Fury but being able to move in it while channeling being baked in. One of the 100 talents requires you to have it and Rising Sun kick on cooldown to use.

Seems fun but yeah I imagine its like Fury where it's just different enough but similar that it really throws off long time players of that spec at the start

One thing I think I'll miss with the new Windwaker is the old Fists of Fury. They baked down the WoD glyph that removes the stun but allows you to move while channeling. I sort of get why they did that though, Windwalker has so many interrupts that it's kinda goofy. Fists of Fury, Leg Sweep (talent), Paralysis, throat jab and you can have another on top of all that with the panda racial.

ZenaxPure

One thing I think I'll miss with the new Windwaker is the old Fists of Fury. They baked down the WoD glyph that removes the stun but allows you to move while channeling. I sort of get why they did that though, Windwalker has so many interrupts that it's kinda goofy. Fists of Fury, Leg Sweep (talent), Paralysis, throat jab and you can have another on top of all that with the panda racial.

Not that it matters for pve obviously but one of the pvp talents actually gives you a few of the old effects. It increases the range of FoF by 5 yards and causes it to stun.

Tarazet

It's another one of those situations where your artifact weapon fills in a gap there. The Unholy artifact ability is a shortish cooldown (1 and a half minute iirc) that pops every stack and summons a ghoul for each stack popped.

There are also some talents that effect the stacks in various ways but I assume you've seen those. I personally like the one that causes crits to pop an extra stack (and festering crits to generate more stacks).

So you get a stack of a buff that is meaningless unless you select one of your choice of talents? Count me in the "that's clunky" camp. It should have some kind of baseline utility.

ZenaxPure

So you get a stack of a buff that is meaningless unless you select one of your choice of talents?

That's like the exact opposite of what I said. Your artifact ability which you get the moment you pick up your weapon gives you a button that consumes every stack of the debuff and benefits from having more stacks when you use it. That has nothing to do with talents. That ability is the reason you would want to cap stacks outside of more nuanced stuff like pooling for some burst.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It does sound like they genuinely want to support Legion with patch content, but things like cutting Thal'dranath don't exactly inspire confidence. Sure, they have another cool idea, they say... but at this point I have to agree that Blizzard have to show, not tell.

It's basically non-information. The idea he was trying to convey is that it'll be a patch zone, just not specifically another Night Elf ruins zone because suramar is already doing that.

But that's assuming you're disappointed in not getting two suramars basically.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Everyone talks up the new warrior animations but not enough people talk about the new sounds.

Rampage and Whirlwind in particular sound like you're beating a garage door with a mace

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Fury is the baby spec and Arms requires considerably more thought. What a way for things to turn out...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fury is the baby spec and Arms requires considerably more thought. What a way for things to turn out...

I don't see that at all. Rend, Colossal Smash, MS, Slam to dump rage and Overpower if you take it when it procs

It's about the same

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't see that at all. Rend, Colossal Smash, MS, Slam to dump rage and Overpower if you take it when it procs

It's about the same
Taking advantage of those CS windows while keeping up Rend seems way more complicated to me when the window can be so wide. Less of a thing with the Artifact weapon, but as it is the AOE also gets more complex when you factor in level 90 talents having limited or anti-synergy with something like Battle Cry + Bladestorm, and the Cleave/WW combos. Fury just goes off to where it almost plays itself. Getting the absolute most out of it will be challenging, but it's hard to make a complete misstep with the spec a lot of the time.

I play new Fury and it feels like it lacks the proc and Enrage management the spec used to have. You kind of just keep going off no matter what.

JSoup

Banned
So, fishing.
Was gonna start working on lunkers and wanted to fact check something. When I got my first few, it was during 6.0 and you had a chance to fish them up just about anywhere, with a higher chance on pools. I'm reading smatterings here and there about lunkers being changed to only come from pools. Any insight?

So, fishing.
Was gonna start working on lunkers and wanted to fact check something. When I got my first few, it was during 6.0 and you had a chance to fish them up just about anywhere, with a higher chance on pools. I'm reading smatterings here and there about lunkers being changed to only come from pools. Any insight?

You can get them from open water, but it's a much higher chance to get them from pools. And you need to have unlocked Nat/done the questline to be able to fish them up in the first place, of course. I mostly fished in Tanaan recently for the chance at Felblight as well, but the frenzies are probably worth less than the potential gain of the felblight vs. other fish. Would depend on the server.

JSoup

Banned
You can get them from open water, but it's a much higher chance to get them from pools.

That's what I figured. When I first started, I just used all my fishing buffs/gear and fished nonstop in the lava outside my garrison and did ok. Other people in game are saying the lunker chance seems to be higher in the Tannan open water than in just the normal world open water.

Lanrutcon

haha they rigged personal loot:

In Legion, if you get an item from a dungeon or raid with personal loot that isn't an upgrade for you (lower or equal item level for that slot), you can trade it to another eligible player.

Brilliant. Wonder if it works on tokens too.

Zelias

Banned
It's basically non-information. The idea he was trying to convey is that it'll be a patch zone, just not specifically another Night Elf ruins zone because suramar is already doing that.

But that's assuming you're disappointed in not getting two suramars basically.
If they do what they say, then sure, I'll be fine with that. But talk of cutting content and changing patch plans after an expansion where patch content was piss-poor doesn't fill me with confidence. They're talking a good game but they're going to have to back it up after WoD.

But maybe I'll be wrong. I certainly won't mind if I am.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So uhh the PTR

Can't mount, can't hearth, can't cast and can't log out of garrison.

Yep it's a pre expansion patch PTR

The only problem I've had so far, similar to that, was I went to the Ashran portal in my garrison and then I couldn't do anything else (log out, mount, etc.).

Alt-F4'd out, logged back in and just took the mount over there.

Other than that, very few issues.

Anoregon

The only problem I've had so far, similar to that, was I went to the Ashran portal in my garrison and then I couldn't do anything else (log out, mount, etc.).

Alt-F4'd out, logged back in and just took the mount over there.

Other than that, very few issues.

PTR was unplayably laggy for a stretch last night, that's probably what he was referring to.

Jag

Anyone able to copy account data over? I'm missing toys, mounts, etc.

Invasions were meh if that's all it is. 3 stages of fighting demons. I went AFK over westfall and came back to some chests with ilvl700 blues and some currency.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Anyone able to copy account data over? I'm missing toys, mounts, etc.

Invasions were meh if that's all it is. 3 stages of fighting demons. I went AFK over westfall and came back to some chests with ilvl700 blues and some currency.

Yeah wasn't really anything new and exciting,

ampere

In Legion, if you get an item from a dungeon or raid with personal loot that isn't an upgrade for you (lower or equal item level for that slot), you can trade it to another eligible player.

Good question. Since personal loot just gives you the piece of gear, and not the token, that would only be able to be traded to another player of your class unless they have specifically accounted for that.

Lanrutcon

PTR has made me excited for Legion again. I especially love the INSTANCE NOT FOUND dungeon, and the new INSTANCE NOT FOUND maps. There was an INSTANCE NOT FOUND event going on and everyone really enjoyed it.

Calling it now: The prepatch launch week is going to be a shitshow, just like Garrisons were.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Good. Now if only they can find a way to encourage more groups to use personal loot/.

Brohan

Hey all, i've got a question regarding Game Time Tokens..

I've used them before so i know that even though my account is inactive that as long as i have enough gold on my chars that i can buy game time.

However i have a friend with an inactive account and he doesn't have enough gold.. and he is no longer willing to pay real money for game time (me neither).

So my question is: is there any way for me to use my gold to get my friend an active account? Can i send one of his characters a token or maybe some gold?? Or is this not possible??

Thanks!

I have a question. Is this game still playable for someone that hasn't put time into WOW since burning crusade? If I was to just start now? maybe with a buddy or two?

Top Bottom