• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Ret Paladins feel a little too slow right now. I get they're trying to go with much bigger hits at a slower pace. It's nice not to have to button mash my keyboard but it feels a bit off.

I've mained a Hunter since launch and I'm really unhappy with the changes. It may actually be fine for someone who doesn't play the class, but Hunters as a whole are really, really unhappy with MM/BM. BM Hunters were also the king of soloing and I think they made pet tanking pretty much impossible at this point. Pets are squishy, spirit bond is gone and mend pet is a on CD.

Wtf are you serious? That's why I keep my hunter around; soloing.

How do you submit feedback on the beta for things like this?

Drame

Ret Paladins feel a little too slow right now. I get they're trying to go with much bigger hits at a slower pace. It's nice not to have to button mash my keyboard but it feels a bit off.
I personally find the much slower playstyle in Legion much better than the system we have on live servers now. Had a chance to play on the PTR after finally being able to transfer my paladin over. I really love how powerful the big srikes feel now and you can really feel the "oomph-factor" when you cast Judge and start to weave the Hammers and Divine Storms. That being said I don't like it that you can't change your talents in dungeons.

Other PTR impressions:

- The new transmogrifiction system works great and it's really intuitive. Also, I think I haven't had this much room in my bank and bags since the original lauch back in vanilla.
- Engineering teleports finally being added to toys is the best thing since sliced bread.
- The new plain character panel feels strange.
- Secondary stats aren't as high as I thought they would be. With iLevel 746 I'm rocking ~34% crit, ~10% haste and ~53% mastery on ptr.
- The game feels like its running a lot smoother on ptr than on live.
- Gems giving 200+ stat. Now that's a lot!

This'll keep me occupied till the pre-patch is on live servers. Also, opening 100+ salvage crates was fun as I've been piling them up since couple months ago and when the patch hits live, I can open them again!

Invert

Neo Member
In its current state (PTR) I agree. I'm running into some moments where I have gaps of ~2 seconds where I can't really press anything which makes it feel really clunky. That being said my only melee DPS in WoD was a Frost DK which I could beat on my keyboard mindlessly and still output pretty good damage, so my rotation is probably flawed when using ret.

With the inclusion of the Artifact ability + a touch more haste I think it will be in a pretty nice spot.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ret Paladins hit substantially harder than anything else on the PTR as far as I'm aware, even putting stuff like Arms to shame. If they feel a little slow try to keep that in mind. Haste is also a statistic that saw less emphasis in WoD, but is being tracked as a priority for a number of classes in Legion.

For people upset about Hunter pets, survivability has been reduced across the board for all classes. I personally consider this to be a needed change as things had gotten to be somewhat out of control.

I have wound up putting substantially more time into the PTR than I had ever expected to. There are way more specs that I want to put time into in a way I never felt with WoD. Frost DK is the only spec I thought I would connect with more that feels like a dud. Feels like the vanilla ice cream of melee specs. Too plain, but I did not fully experiment with the talent tree. Also sort of bummed out by how bad the Arms numbers are outside of AoE. Never seen so many useless talents on a tree like PTR Arms has right now.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That being said I don't like it that you can't change your talents in dungeons.

I actually think this was the right choice. There needs to be some semblance of permanence with your spec/talent decisions now that dual spec has effectively been replaced by tri-spec and the vast majority of gear slots are interchangeable between specs. Being locked into your talents while in a dungeon/raid is one of the only reasonable ways to accomplish that.

Tarazet

I actually think this was the right choice. There needs to be some semblance of permanence with your spec/talent decisions now that dual spec has effectively been replaced by tri-spec and the vast majority of gear slots are interchangeable between specs. Being locked into your talents while in a dungeon/raid is one of the only reasonable ways to accomplish that.

Why does there need to be any permanence? As long as you can't change it in combat, you should be able to switch around as needed for the encounter.

Invert

Neo Member
Ret Paladins hit substantially harder than anything else on the PTR as far as I'm aware, even putting stuff like Arms to shame. If they feel a little slow try to keep that in mind. Haste is also a statistic that saw less emphasis in WoD, but is being tracked as a priority for a number of classes in Legion.

For people upset about Hunter pets, survivability has been reduced across the board for all classes. I personally consider this to be a needed change as things had gotten to be somewhat out of control.

I have wound up putting substantially more time into the PTR than I had ever expected to. There are way more specs that I want to put time into in a way I never felt with WoD. Frost DK is the only spec I thought I would connect with more that feels like a dud. Feels like the vanilla ice cream of melee specs. Too plain, but I did not fully experiment with the talent tree. Also sort of bummed out by how bad the Arms numbers are outside of AoE. Never seen so many useless talents on a tree like PTR Arms has right now.

I've gotten a few ~250k hits with Justicar's Vengeance while hitting the dummy, I could probably nudge it up a bit further if I tinker with crusade. I haven't tried hunters out yet, but from what I've experienced barrage is the hardest hitting ability. I've routinely been brought from 100% health to death by a single hunter using just barrage. That being said, it is PTR and likely (hopefully) it's just overtuned and will be fixed.

In a PVE sense I agree with you that survivability being dropped is a good thing. I'm not so sure how I feel about it in terms of PvP though. Right now in PTR healing isnt viable, but... it's PTR Pre-patch so things are going to be wonky for a while, probably until legion releases. From what I've seen in beta streams damage seems quite a bit heavier which has me a little worried about PvP Healing at 110 but again, it's not out yet so I'll wait and see.

Drame

I totally get what you are saying. Now that I have done more testing.

After doing couple more dungeons and always forgetting to change my talents to a setup I "would" normally do a dungeon with I found myself thinking the following: these are the talents I have and I've to cope with what I got. It was rather relaxin to not wait for a moment where I could switch between few chosen
talents.

After a while I don't really mind that I can't fine tune my talents during a dungeon. Seems that there will be a somekind of grace period at the beginning of a run where you can switch talents and so on. So... everythings fine and dandy, I guess.

Fularu

Banned
Also, opening 100+ salvage crates was fun as I've been piling them up since couple months ago and when the patch hits live, I can open them again!

I have about 1k crates per character beeing stockpiled right now.

Once 7.0 hits, I'll spend 3 nights opening them :p

ZenaxPure

So when character copies went active on the beta first thing I did was check and see if Blizzard had any modified dialogue from the Rogue class hall introduction based on past character actions since you're interacting with characters you've come across before. Glad to see they didn't disappointment me, I really enjoy small details like this.

Different dialogue for Taoshi, not sure the exact requirements for it but it's probably for doing the 5.2 storyline.

aT9kanG.png

There is also one for
Vanessa
as well which is great,
I assume the trigger is if you've cleared heroic Deadmines or not
5kAD4kp.png

The best part is they are doing tons more voice acting in Legion compared to past expansions (like to the point where even a bunch of normal quest mobs are fully voiced) so all that is voiced for both versions of the text.

Tarazet

I highly dig Druids on PTR - all the specs. I thought that Guardian was going to be dull without Lacerate, but it's actually much more complete, engaging and interesting than it is on live because of the new spenders and being able to use Moonfire. The new Balance ST rotation is excellent.. it still has a strong burst opener but feels much cleaner afterwards. The new Feral animations are beautiful, though the gameplay doesn't break any new ground.. it's just how it was in Pandaria. At any rate, it looks like I'll be maining Druid for the fourth expansion in a row.

Lanrutcon

So confirm/deny: mana costs for healing as a non Resto Druid haven't been increased dramatically, while mana costs for healing as a non Resto Shaman have.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So when character copies went active on the beta first thing I did was check and see if Blizzard had any modified dialogue from the Rogue class hall introduction based on past character actions since you're interacting with characters you've come across before. Glad to see they didn't disappointment me, I really enjoy small details like this.

Different dialogue for Taoshi, not sure the exact requirements for it but it's probably for doing the 5.2 storyline.

aT9kanG.png

There is also one for
Vanessa
as well which is great,
I assume the trigger is if you've cleared heroic Deadmines or not
5kAD4kp.png

The best part is they are doing tons more voice acting in Legion compared to past expansions (like to the point where even a bunch of normal quest mobs are fully voiced) so all that is voiced for both versions of the text.

I hope Mylra-senpai notices me

f0rk

Got to 85 and moved onto Pandaria. I've been enjoying the storylines structured quest lines but I can see how it would get old leveling multiple characters.

It's weird going back to not having flying mounts.

As a destro lock do I want mastery or haste? I presume crit is most important. Is destro a lot better than affliction still?

Hex

Banned
I told myself I would never go back...
I have moved on, no looking back...
WHY FOR THE PAST THREE DAYS HAVE I GONE TO THE ACCOUNT SCREEN AND HELD MY MOUSE OVER ADD TIME???

Lanrutcon

Got to 85 and moved onto Pandaria. I've been enjoying the storylines structured quest lines but I can see how it would get old leveling multiple characters.

As a destro lock do I want mastery or haste? I presume crit is most important. Is destro a lot better than affliction still?

The current status quo is changing come Legion. Everything gets rebalanced. Right now it looks like Destro will pull ahead, but they're still tweaking things.

As a destro lock you want crit and mastery.

Invert

Neo Member

If I remember correctly mastery is their most important stat since chaos bolt always crits. I always enjoyed Destro for leveling since you can down mobs in a few shots. Affliction has a bit of a spinup that I feel is better for prolonged fights.

Remembered too that chaos bolt gets more damage from crit so that's really important too.

On the purchase page for Legion, it says that if i pre-purchase now, it will grant me early acces to the Demon Hunter class. Does this mean if I pre-purchased, that I would be able to play that class now?

Zelias

Banned
On the purchase page for Legion, it says that if i pre-purchase now, it will grant me early acces to the Demon Hunter class. Does this mean if I pre-purchased, that I would be able to play that class now?
No. It'll be unlocked sometime between the release of patch 7.0 (the pre-expansion patch) and the release of Legion proper.

Rokam

I really wish they'd at least bring back the free DS proc for Ret. I get that a lot of people didn't like a whole bunch of procs, but taking them all away save for one talent is disappointing. Also, with DS healing your group for a small amount it'd be a nice perk to have all the time instead of during AOE situations. But probably too late for any such change.

Tenebrous

I highly dig Druids on PTR - all the specs. I thought that Guardian was going to be dull without Lacerate, but it's actually much more complete, engaging and interesting than it is on live because of the new spenders and being able to use Moonfire. The new Balance ST rotation is excellent.. it still has a strong burst opener but feels much cleaner afterwards. The new Feral animations are beautiful, though the gameplay doesn't break any new ground.. it's just how it was in Pandaria. At any rate, it looks like I'll be maining Druid for the fourth expansion in a row.

Guardian is seriously enjoyable to play on the beta/PTR. It's simple, yet elegant & smooth.

TheYanger

finally going through the quests in legion...this xpac is fucking fun. I've done more memorable (in a good way) quests in a day levelling than I have in the last 3 expansions combined I bet.

Finally tried out Unholy a bit semi-seriously on the PTR. It's alright I guess. Plays like a simplified version of live sorta. Instead of rune management you're building then popping stacks of pustules or whatever. Need to test in a dungeon or something. And it's not clear what all talents are the best. Some are clearly superior, but you could go for certain builds with a couple rows that synergize together or whatever which may change your stat priority.

Still need to put in some work on testing Frost out though. Plus whatever other specs I may be interested in.

Shahadan

finally going through the quests in legion...this xpac is fucking fun. I've done more memorable (in a good way) quests in a day levelling than I have in the last 3 expansions combined I bet.

For real? Since no one is ever talking about the leveling experience I feared it was bland or something

ampere

Sounds great. I've been avoiding it to leave some surprises for launch

TheYanger

For real? Since no one is ever talking about the leveling experience I feared it was bland or something

I finally did one quest in azsuna where I didn't have 100% or close to it drop rates on a 6 of required drop, and it actually shocked me because it hasn't felt like that in any other quest in the 2 zones I've done. I have only stormheim that I haven't touched yet but I've enjoyed the rest a lot. Good rewards, even at max level, it's always relevant so you're not encouraged to skip around just to get reasonable rewards, which means you can just follow the questline flow and not worry about moving on because you're outpacing shit, or your gear is too good so you want to hit the next zone as soon as you ding, etc. It adds a lot to it. I had done highmountain early in beta, and parts of it are the same but it feels significantly better now than it did then. The amounts of mobs you're killing for quests aren't anything egregious, all in all it just is paced really well.

I would say there are more 'interesting' quests breaking up the 'kill/collect' shit we know and love/hate, like often enough that it never feels tedious, and the interesting quests are moer interesting. the zone stories are more interesting, and I feel more invested in them. The rewards are powerful so it feels good when you finish an area. They lead intelligently into the dungeons as well.

When you hit progression stoppers tied to instancing weirdness--for example where the quest giver is stuck in an animation state for the instance ahead causing you to be unable to trigger that particular sequence to progress the quest and you need to try realm hopping or contacting a GM just to progress a questline--I can sort of understand why someone might say they prefer questing from The Burning Crusade.

Fularu

Banned

Only because the shapeshifting quest was in BC

But then again the 3 heroes quest was in Cataclysm and was great

ZenaxPure

My guess is they will become active whenever the broken shore scenario is enabled. The end of the demon hunter intro experience is going to Org/SW and using your spectral sight to show the leaders that your city has been invaded by demons which then causes a massive battle to break out. It takes place directly after the Broken Shore when everyone is
mourning the death of Vol'jin/Varian respectively.
It's the quest that introduces you to the demon hunters if you are playing a different class.

Top Bottom