• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
sounds like im abandoning all of my alts once legion hits due to the awful artifact grind

at least ill have them there for transmog collecting.

I really don't think it's nearly as big a deal as people think it's going to be. Time you spend on alts has always been time you weren't spending advancing a single main character. Artifacts aren't a significant departure from that, and have built-in catch up mechanics.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is why I said they need to expand it into you crafting the next artifact. If you're to take on Sargeras and the Legion directly (on Argus, say) you need a weapon of great power.
Really doubt they would do two demon/Burning Legion focused expansions in a row.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So as a typical xpac for two months and quit veteran that hasnt kept up with anyhing, how is pally looking? Thinking it will be my boost for prot/holy specs.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If it's an entire new planet, why not? There could be other villains and machinations going on Argus.
1+ year of fighting demons in HFC. X number of years with a focus on fighting demons in Legion. Argus is the primary base of operation for the Burning Legion, and that being its feature is the only reason to go to Argus. Trudging endlessly towards Sargeras would be a total bore and a huge mistake. I can't see it happening.

Ashodin

1+ year of fighting demons in HFC. X number of years with a focus on fighting demons in Legion. Argus is the primary base of operation for the Burning Legion, and that being its feature is the only reason to go to Argus. Trudging endlessly towards Sargeras would be a total bore and a huge mistake. I can't see it happening.

It doesn't have to be all Legion. Void is the true enemy, so we could get more of that.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Decided to level a warrior before Legion hits. Rage generation feels so sluggish at low levels. >_<

TheYanger

sounds like im abandoning all of my alts once legion hits due to the awful artifact grind

honestly, the way it's set up encourages playing alts and playing all of them if you want to play them eventually. min/maxing your world quests/artifact knowledge gains doesn't require you to invest all of your time into one character, and the AP gains you get from just randomly doing shit are relatively minor. Like, as long as you hit 110 and start work order type stuff going and do your first world quests so they won't disappear, stepping away for 12 hours to level something else is going to be a completely immaterial loss of artifact power due to how knowledge works and accumulates. Flipside, getting that same stuff rolling on an alt is going to speed things up on them as well. Artifact power has a steeeeeeep curve up in cost as you move into the teens, and the ease with which you climb it is gated by knowledge, not by just grinding shit out. knowledge that you can't speed up.

ampere

It sounds like if you wait a bit, maybe a tier or so then your alts will be much smoother to level up in terms of artifact power. The gradual artifact knowledge increase every week will add up

If you want 2 or 3 raid ready toons early, it's going to be a ton of work as usual

TheYanger

It sounds like if you wait a bit, maybe a tier or so then your alts will be much smoother to level up in terms of artifact power. The gradual artifact knowledge increase every week will add up

If you want 2 or 3 raid ready toons early, it's going to be a ton of work as usual

There's literally no reason to wait. Waiting doesn't suddenly make them faster in absolute terms, generally speaking a lot of your growth occurs from doing your world quests and finishing your class quest/AK stuff, which is basically the equivilent of starting work orders every day or two. It's trivial to do that part on as many characters as you want. the world quests are more work, but those are just the rewards themselves, the AK you accumulate even if you're not actively doing world quests is going to put you ahead of the game on alts no matter what.

ampere

There's literally no reason to wait. Waiting doesn't suddenly make them faster in absolute terms, generally speaking a lot of your growth occurs from doing your world quests and finishing your class quest/AK stuff, which is basically the equivilent of starting work orders every day or two. It's trivial to do that part on as many characters as you want. the world quests are more work, but those are just the rewards themselves, the AK you accumulate even if you're not actively doing world quests is going to put you ahead of the game on alts no matter what.

You must be referring to this:

I'd forgotten about that. Yeah I suppose there's no reason to wait to level up in that case. Guess the real factor for me is how many times I want to do the level up experience at once. Usually level 2 toons and then it's a long time before my next character at cap

Magnus

Huh...got a Legion beta invite tonight.

Feels random. Didn't realize they'd bother with invite waves this late....? Doesn't the thing shut down in a month?

Ashodin

I'm cool with not getting into the beta:

• Videos for the things I'm curious about are all over YouTube
  • I can wait to experience the questlines myself
  • the prepatch will satisfy me until then

Tarazet

So I sunk a bunch of gold into buying the MoP mounts that I had the rep for, but couldn't afford at the time. I like farming for mats, so if you were in that kind of mindset, how would you go about recovering it back? I was doing Heart of Fear trash runs with Potions of Luck before they get nerfed, and made some Living Steel with what I got. I briefly considered making panthers but got cold feet at investing that much more gold into something that could be hard to sell.

Lanrutcon

I absolutely guarantee that there will be an optimal way to level artifacts within the first week or two that will get shut down by Bliz. Then another and another, with hotfixes to kill them, until things settle down.

And then the meta will emerge from raiders.

Rambaldi

Since Final Fantasy is getting patched on the 19th I'm assuming we are getting ours on the 26th. There's no way Blizz will wait longer than that.

TheYanger

I absolutely guarantee that there will be an optimal way to level artifacts within the first week or two that will get shut down by Bliz. Then another and another, with hotfixes to kill them, until things settle down.

And then the meta will emerge from raiders.

I mean, unless someone finds a way to basically create '+artifact power" items at will,or dupe them or something insane...most of your AP gains come from stuff like world quests, which are basically completely controlled by Blizz. Getting a random 100 artifact power drop isn't even a drop in the bucket, you need artifact knowledge to get shit moving. If someone finds a way to basically farm say 100 ap items, that's still SOOOO many you'd need just to get one point by the time you're 110. And then it'd be totally invalidated just by doing your research and getting an extra day worth of world quest rewards later.

Lanrutcon

I mean, unless someone finds a way to basically create '+artifact power" items at will,or dupe them or something insane...most of your AP gains come from stuff like world quests, which are basically completely controlled by Blizz. Getting a random 100 artifact power drop isn't even a drop in the bucket, you need artifact knowledge to get shit moving. If someone finds a way to basically farm say 100 ap items, that's still SOOOO many you'd need just to get one point by the time you're 110. And then it'd be totally invalidated just by doing your research and getting an extra day worth of world quest rewards later.

I'm basing my opinion on the way things generally work in large MMOs. There'll be a loophole or something Blizzard missed (or a straight up glitch) that people will exploit in the first week or two. If there isn't I'll be incredibly surprised.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm basing my opinion on the way things generally work in large MMOs. There'll be a loophole or something Blizzard missed (or a straight up glitch) that people will exploit in the first week or two. If there isn't I'll be incredibly surprised.
If they do they probably know who and can reset their weapon :)

Fjordson

Holy shit, I finally got into my first mythic dungeon group. Literally sat with the group finder open for like a half hour, wanted to see just how many times I'd be declined. Usually I give up after 3-4. Once I did get invited we breezed through two of them in like 40 minutes.

Absolutely hilarious the gear requirements most groups have for these. They're really not that difficult.

Legion sounds like it's going to be pretty alt-friendly, perhaps moreso than WoD was, because there's going to be artifact power catch-up mechanics. Over the long run of the expansion it's supposed to get easier and easier to level up to power-up your artifact.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Legion sounds like it's going to be pretty alt-friendly, perhaps moreso than WoD was, because there's going to be artifact power catch-up mechanics. Over the long run of the expansion it's supposed to get easier and easier to level up to power-up your artifact.

Yeah, it sure sounds that way doesn't it.

They also said they aren't going to radically buff/nerf classes so people won't want to hop ship off an artifact onto a different one. That sure sounds like a good plan, too bad it's still a game made by Blizzard.

Lanrutcon

Holy shit, I finally got into my first mythic dungeon group. Literally sat with the group finder open for like a half hour, wanted to see just how many times I'd be declined. Usually I give up after 3-4. Once I did get invited we breezed through two of them in like 40 minutes.

Absolutely hilarious the gear requirements most groups have for these. They're really not that difficult.

Consider your average WoW player. Now consider that half of the players are even worse than him. That's why people are scared of randoms in any content that even remotely requires a bit of coordination. The inflated ilevel requirement is a safety net.

To a group of 5 people who know what they're doing the safety net is pointless.

TheYanger

I mean you're talking about someone literally finding a way to circumvent multiple day long work orders or actually duping items in order to make a dent in artifact power gains. Neither of those things are going to fly. That's like saying you'd better level fast because someone is going to find a way to dupe billions of gold.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying it's not possible that that happens and doesn't get A) reverted. B) people severely punished/banned

Jag

I'm cool with not getting into the beta:

• Videos for the things I'm curious about are all over YouTube
  • I can wait to experience the questlines myself
  • the prepatch will satisfy me until then

Yeah, I guess I don't really care at this point. I'm actually pushing pretty hard to finish some stuff before the pre-patch, so I probably wouldn't play it much. Besides I remember burning out on the intro quests in the WoD beta and then had to run them 11 more times on live.

mclem

I like coming up with RP appropriate names for my toons rather than weird puns related to their class or race (Anklebiter or Moardots), but that's about the width and length of it.

My proudest moment of naming, with a pun I suspect half my guild don't get:

I needed to create a character not to actually act as a character, but simply to store a little bit of information in the guild note for that character.
My characters generally begin Ma...
I made him a warlock.

I called him Malloc

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm alright not getting into the beta either. It's nice to test things out, make sure everything works, see the stuff ahead of time. But at the same time, cool I get to wait and see a polished product when it launches.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I got into the beta back in May, but barely touched it after doing a few intro quests until I got the artifact weapon on 3 or 4 characters. Didn't see the point in spending so much time & effort on these characters that will be removed a few months later anyway. I've seen enough to know what to expect of Legion(all nice except having to relearn your class again...)

Is WoW worth getting into at this point of the game's life?

A friend and I are interested but entering a community with people playing for 10 years is a little worrying. And I'm not sure if it has a steady influx of new players.

Tenebrous

A friend and I are interested but entering a community with people playing for 10 years is a little worrying. And I'm not sure if it has a steady influx of new players.

It's still the best MMORPG on the market. It will still be around in 10, hell, 20 years time. It will have a shipload of people to play with for years & years to come.

So yeah, there's no reason why not, in my opinion.

Interfectum

Yeah it's extremely new player friendly.

There is so much to do in this game for a new person it's almost overwhelming.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
All the quests of the Legion pre-expansion patch can now be completed on the PTR. The return of Magni, Khadgar's visit to Karazhan, the Council of Six, the defense of Dalaran and summoning of Alodi can now be experienced, though the quest In the Blink of an Eye, where you witness the teleportation of Dalaran from Deadwind Pass to Broken Isles, is still bugged. All quests prior to that worked flawlessly, release very soon seems quite likely (even launch on July 12).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Rösti;209480026 said:
All the quests of the Legion pre-expansion patch can now be completed on the PTR. The return of Magni, Khadgar's visit to Karazhan, the Council of Six, the defense of Dalaran and summoning of Alodi can now be experienced, though the quest In the Blink of an Eye, where you witness the teleportation of Dalaran from Deadwind Pass to Broken Isles, is still bugged. All quests prior to that worked flawlessly, release very soon seems quite likely (even launch on July 12).

Not without the standard "the PvP seasons ends in 2 weeks" announcement having happened.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Rösti;209480026 said:

Like Anoregon said, probably July 19th or 26th at the latest. We didn't get the PVP Season ending announcement yet.

But yeah, pretty excited for the pre-patch!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
huh reading on class changes, they are giving demology locks and BM hunters more minion flavor stuff, including spells that summon temporary pets

thats...pleases me, especially the warlock stuff, and it might just make me resub for that first month. damn you blizz

also, I havent been following Legion AT ALL, I know demonhunters will be tank/dps, but what are the 2 dps trees about?

any chance of melee summon tree, ala WAR's White Lion? :3

man I loved that class

Milennia

huh reading on class changes, they are giving demology locks and BM hunters more minion flavor stuff, including spells that summon temporary pets

thats...pleases me, especially the warlock stuff, and it might just make me resub for that first month. damn you blizz

also, I havent been following Legion AT ALL, I know demonhunters will be tank/dps, but what are the 2 dps trees about?

any chance of melee summon tree, ala WAR's White Lion? :3

man I loved that class

demon hunters only have the 2, tank/dps

1 dps spec and 1 tank spec

Milennia

some guy on the wow reddit who apprently has a decent track record is saying it went from the 19th to the 12th and that there wont be a pvp end of season warning lol

call complete bullshit but i cant wait for tuesday and hes just discredited forever, sending reddit into a frenzy

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
some guy on the wow reddit who apprently has a decent track record is saying it went from the 19th to the 12th and that there wont be a pvp end of season warning lol

call complete bullshit but i cant wait for tuesday and hes just discredited forever, sending reddit into a frenzy
I believe it after the Arena Master removal out of nowhere

Artanisix

i will happily take the12th

Top Bottom