• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

zugzug

I'm in the "make WoW 2" camp for a lot of reasons. I'm not chasing this idea of starting from scratch to recapture some of the "mystery", instead I just think WoW is being weighed down by so many dead systems and mechanic changes over the years that cannot be fixed by slapping new foundations on top of crumbling ones.

WoW 2 would allow them to restructure the world and leveling mechanics to make sense again rather than them band aid fixing it by having you rush through it as fast as possible (1-90 is so pointless they let you pay to skip it).

It would let them be able to reset the economy that has been affected by inflation each and every expansion. Allow them to restructure profession systems which have gotten so out of control they are practically worthless at this point. It would even allow them to take back mechanics as they see fit without having to deal with the outrage of removing already instituted mechanics (class mechanics people are attached to/flying mounts/portal-teleportation systems).

There are a ton of reasons to want to hit the reset buttom to get rid of a lot of dead weight the game can't get rid of through expansion releases.

lets be honest they ruined their own economy with each expansion.
so just making wow 2 for the sake of resetting the economy is just a bandaid.
still won't fix the bad design decision being made by these bad game developers.

Just like these same people in charge of this game can't create a good world pvp instanced zone at all. Then they refuse to spend time trying to fix it once its release upon the public.

Touch

I propose a game of sorts for the thread. How about you say yay/nay if you think Demon Hunters are coming next expac, and then what sort of characteristics they'll have. I'll give my take. Then we can look at how close we were if they are revealed as a new class :p

Demon Hunters - yay
Start at higher level (maybe 90)
Tank/melee dps/ranged dps (I don't think adding more pures is something they'll do, rather the opposite and give pures new specs for other roles)
Weapons: Daggers, Swords, Polearms (maybe?), Guns, Bows
Mail armor (obvious one)
Mana users and a secondary resource like Hate
Optional perma pet with ranged spec

Yeah. If Demon Hunters have a ranged and melee spec and can use daggers and bows/guns that helps that problem a lot. And mail wearing.

Well honestly the could make a "gun" that is dual pistols. Same weapon type but new animations. Not sure we need new actual weapon types, but definitely more weapon visual variety.

Like if they add standard warglaives, those could be swords.

I think that weapon pool is too much for one class. I mean they made the weapon pools for the current classes pretty slim for the most part. Adding a class that can get basically all agi weapons is kinda messed up if you ask me. a class that uses the same stats for melee and ranged worries me as well.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Ok, so just more time invested in the garrison will yield more gold in the long run.

----

On the topic of sub-races, Vrykul could totally be a variant for Humans.

ampere

I think that weapon pool is too much for one class. I mean they made the weapon pools for the current classes pretty slim for the most part. Adding a class that can get basically all agi weapons is kinda messed up if you ask me. a class that uses the same stats for melee and ranged worries me as well.

I didn't include axes or maces, and Warriors can use every weapon type except wands (though guns and bows are just cosmetic/rp for them now)

JSoup

Banned
Leven 3 inn + slowly building up an army of followers with the treasure hunter trait. Just takes time.

I didn't even go that far. I started, but I needed the inn spot for the lumber mill for naval achievements. For me, just doing my daily gathering and converting weekly barn orders into bags make a surprisingly nice no effort profit.

Entropia

No One Remembers

There's no way around that though unfortunately. But there needs to be another class that can use ranged weapons.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope it's not a demon hunter as the new thing because there's no way it could be what people want it to be. Let's look at Demon Hunter on the surface. It's Illidan. When people wanted DKs, they wanted to be Arthas and they mostly got it. They could shoot ice, they could summon zombies, they could infect people with disease, they could drop death and decay, and they could turn their allies into zombies when they died(fuck them for taking the flavor out of this)

In this homogenized world of WoW, let's look at a demon hunter's place. I'm not talking ranged builds right now. I'm talking 'XIllidanX' who resubbed to play a demon hunter because it is definitely a pull I can see WoW doing to get people to buy the game. They need a mail wearing class. Illidan sure as fuck isn't wearing mail neither are any of the other Demon Hunter NPCs in WoW. That's going to be the first strike and have the potential to make the class feel super shoehorned in. All of the DK's shit wasn't on any other classes before they came out. Priests already had mana burn. Warlocks already have metamorphosis and evasion. Rogues have evasion

The Brewmaster and Mistweave are clever, unique playstyles in their role. The Windwalker, as someone who raided as one as my 'alt' because my main at the time was a rogue and did so because it was similar enough, just felt like a rogue. So is the demon hunter going to be yet another dual wielding, agi based energy/combo melee dps in its dps role? Or if they did make it mail, they're going to be a cooldown based, mana based, melee/ranged hybrid? do you want to tell all the Enhancement Shamans that or should I?

There's no place for it in the long run. The chance for a Demon Hunter existed before 'bring the player not the class' existed. That exists now. They don't fit in the current WoW environment.

Granadier

Thanks.

And no. Shadow Hunters. Yes, Shadow Hunters. Horde exclusive (sub)race.

Shadow Hunters sound like a neat concept as well. I don't agree with them being a Horde only class though.
Only four days left till we find out.

Also, looking into Shadow Hunters led me to this old forum post.
4b1pPIE.png

Tenebrous

But Shadow Hunters are Trolls. The day Alliance get Trolls is the day I throw my TBC collectors edition at Metzen's head... I just realised Shadow Hunters will never happen because of this. Sigh. Why does everything have to be the same? I still wish we didn't get Paladins.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
But Shadow Hunters are Trolls. The day Alliance get Trolls is the day I throw my TBC collectors edition at Metzen's head... I just realised Shadow Hunters will never happen because of this. Sigh. Why does everything have to be the same? I still wish we didn't get Paladins.

This is a pretty lame way of looking at it, imo. There is absolutely lore precedent for a skillset or type of magic originally unique to one race being taught to other races. I don't see why Shadow Hunter, demon hunter, or anything else would be any different.

It's a pretty reasonable conceit.

ZenaxPure

This is a pretty lame way of looking at it, imo. There is absolutely lore precedent for a skillset or type of magic originally unique to one race being taught to other races. I don't see why Shadow Hunter, demon hunter, or anything else would be any different.

Still waiting for that gnome druid except their forms are sweet robots.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dwarf druids exist in the lore.

I don't know. They've thrown the lore so far out the window at this point that I'd prefer they just go all the way and remove the restrictions.

Khezu

My 7 free days ran out, I didn't even realize it so I logged in and got a prompt telling me that I could pay like 25 thousand gold to get 30 days of game time.

So I did, and it worked instantly, no hassle or anything.

I know the token thing was implemented awhile back, but I wasn't expecting it to work so well.

I honestly didn't even realize I had that much gold, apparently I had enough left over to buy another 30 days.

Old news to you all I'm sure, but was an interesting surprise.

Tenebrous

When are Jungle Trolls ever going to sit down and share their secrets with the Gnomes of the world?

Also because we need something to seperate the two factions again. A slight tangent...

People can argue that Siege of Orgrimmar was Horde vs Alliance, but at the end of the day, nothing changed. One over the top leader was running rampage, and even the other members of the Horde just said yeah, this guy is bad news, lets get rid of him... Why?! I want Vol'jin to call upon the Shadow Hunters and use them against the Alliance. The dull king of Stormwind can do similar. Cities need to fall. Leaders need to die. Something. Needs. To. HAPPEN!

This expansion needs a huge focus on Horde vs Alliance, otherwise I'm just going to sell up and move on.

My 7 free days ran out, I didn't even realize it so I logged in and got a prompt telling me that I could pay like 25 thousand gold to get 30 days of game time.

So I did, and it worked instantly, no hassle or anything.

I know the token thing was implemented awhile back, but I wasn't expecting it to work so well.

I honestly didn't even realize I had that much gold, apparently I had enough left over to buy another 30 days.

Old news to you all I'm sure, but was an interesting surprise.

The token system is incredibly well implemented & designed. About the only thing in WoD they got right.

Ashodin

YOU WOT M8

If we didn't get Paladins I'd be still playing my shitty UD Priest that I leveled all the way to 60 with Vanilla Holy spec.

Blizzard wanted to even the sides (provides better balance if both sides have the same classes) and also introduced some badass lore with the Blood Elves.

Granadier

Night Elves are descended from Trolls (Dark Trolls). The lore could totally work for them to be given the training needed to become Shadow Hunters.

V-Faction

I hope it's not a demon hunter as the new thing because there's no way it could be what people want it to be. Let's look at Demon Hunter on the surface. It's Illidan. When people wanted DKs, they wanted to be Arthas and they mostly got it. They could shoot ice, they could summon zombies, they could infect people with disease, they could drop death and decay, and they could turn their allies into zombies when they died(fuck them for taking the flavor out of this)

In this homogenized world of WoW, let's look at a demon hunter's place. I'm not talking ranged builds right now. I'm talking 'XIllidanX' who resubbed to play a demon hunter because it is definitely a pull I can see WoW doing to get people to buy the game. They need a mail wearing class. Illidan sure as fuck isn't wearing mail neither are any of the other Demon Hunter NPCs in WoW. That's going to be the first strike and have the potential to make the class feel super shoehorned in. All of the DK's shit wasn't on any other classes before they came out. Priests already had mana burn. Warlocks already have metamorphosis and evasion. Rogues have evasion

The Brewmaster and Mistweave are clever, unique playstyles in their role. The Windwalker, as someone who raided as one as my 'alt' because my main at the time was a rogue and did so because it was similar enough, just felt like a rogue. So is the demon hunter going to be yet another dual wielding, agi based energy/combo melee dps in its dps role? Or if they did make it mail, they're going to be a cooldown based, mana based, melee/ranged hybrid? do you want to tell all the Enhancement Shamans that or should I?

There's no place for it in the long run. The chance for a Demon Hunter existed before 'bring the player not the class' existed. That exists now. They don't fit in the current WoW environment.

Excellent point. They managed to make Brewmaster and Mistweaver their own thing when it comes to tanking and healing. They need to do the same for a class like Demon Hunter, should they choose to pursue it or don't bother. Don't give them Mail just to fill a niche, make them the 4th cloth class that actually makes sense going by what they wear (or realistically, what they don't wear). If anything, save that armor slot for a wholey unique class created from scratch that will surprise us.

Though, speaking of retreaded skills like Evasion, Mana Burn, Metamorphosis... Those kinds of things can be treated fairly easy in my mind. Back when Death Knights got released, all Warlocks' Death Coil spell became Mortal Coil and DKs' got a more lore-appropriate Death Coil. So, they can be tweaked as needed. Mana Burn, for instance, might be able to target more then just Mana. Evasion, maybe you could also evade spells. Metamorphosis, maybe call it something like "True Metaphorphosis" and make it a toggled transformation or something. Anything at all that would avoid feeling like just a Warlockish-Rogue/Monk.

But, in any case, it does need to feel expansion appropriate, when it comes to a new class. DKs = WotLK. Monks = Mists. It has to make sense, not just thrown together because of reasons. Maybe they'll find a better offering, something beyond the Demon Hunter as we know it, to give us. The Diablo series is a good reflection of this, what with their radically different class themes despite sharing the same name (a bit like the Monk or Wizard even).

Randy

What if... every class gets a tank, healer and dps spec?

Minds. Would. Be. Blown.

(And lots of people would get mad?)

strafer

i would seriously hate a entire underwater expansion, while Vashir was a beautiful zone I hated playing it...it didn't work for me at all.

Robin64

Same. I have terrible luck when asked to "pick" the zone. Vashj'ir and Borean "Boring" Tundnra...

It's pretty amazing how night and day Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord are. HF is, like, the perfect introduction to Northrend. Beautiful architecture, great landscapes, superb music.. You really feel as if you made it to a northern land. BT is just barren and crap.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yo that transmog is an atrocity

Acosta

About 5 years ago they were considering a WoW 2 but it never came to fruition. Unless things have suddenly changed recently it's not going to happen. The main focus right now is more along the lines of the 'smaller' teams and games like Hearthstone, Overwatch etc. In fact a large number of the Blizzard veterans from Warcraft, WoW and Starcraft who are still with the company are all working on Overwatch. The WoW team/business (and vision) are totally different nowadays.

Yes, I know that, that's part of the lament.

In happier news, here are some random pics of my solo run to Firelands. Love Blizzard art, big reason I can't get enough of this.

I tried to solo a raid in Mist (Heart of Fear) but I was annihilated. Embarrassingly enough, I am also unable to solo Blackwing Lair, I have no idea how people managed to complete Razorgore fight back in the day.

Anoregon

if ragnaros is fire and therazane is earth, is volcanos what happens when they do sex?

Robin64

Amusingly, if that was a slide for Gamecom, it would mean the date is 3rd November. Might be a tad late at that point.

Anoregon

Amusingly, if that was a slide for Gamecom, it would mean the date is 3rd November. Might be a tad late at that point.

November release confirmed. Thanks a lot, Robin.

Top Bottom