• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Narag

Man, I'm resto shaman main and I cannot do the damn withered training as ele. Dro is killing me, not the withered but ME. Ele is awful. 3 times I've died to him now.

The first time I killed Dro on my dps DH, it was accidental when Ward of the First Arcanist fired and he suicided against it from a fairly high hp %. I imagine it's not a foolproof tactic but seems like something one might lean on.

Can someone explain why after beating Halls of Valor, I didn't complete the "kill god king skovald" quest or receive the aegis?

iirc the aegis appears as a ? to click on next to odyn so if you port out too early, you miss out.

I still don't understand why they don't just give us a non-cooldowned 30 slot bag.

I'm still making them for my characters. So far only one has all 30 slot bags for the bank, my paladin, the rest only have 30 slots for personal use. I was surprised to see that Legion gave me a 24 slot bag recipe. I guess it improves over time, or there will be some other recipe to learn (didn't really research much on this), as going back to 24 from 30 would seem weird.

Some people are convinced that an equivalent or larger Legion tailor bag will be added in a patch, but even if one isn't the rising price point is nice for WoD tailors, I guess. Although I personally wouldn't want to go back to Draenor to do garrison chores like farming animals for sumptuous fur, gathering Gorgrond flytraps from Gorgrond and your herb garden or hearthing to your garrison to max out your tailor hut and barn production rates.

If my tailor was on this new server I'd probably be doing it though. I've got my Paladin covered for personal use and am working on its bank tabs now.

Strimei

hEt4qbb.jpg

Best run so far, 43 withered collected in total.

And I can't wait for my next run in a few days! Got a second berserker, two more mana-ragers (for a total of 3), and a spellseer to find hidden chests.

I got this far with just one berserker and mana-rager. And I'm an arcane mage! (ilevel is 843 for anyone curious)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Withered Training as a Mage.

1) You have to tank for your guys. It's counter intuitive but there it is. When those spiders or dryads run into your Withered, they have a chance of getting knocked back. I don't know if this does damage but I do know that this is one of the biggest risks in the first room because an unlucky knockback will aggro another pack. So once you launch your first spell, run into them to draw aggro. You have to play like a tank to keep your dudes safe.

2) Originally I thought to Ring of Frost the Arcane Wraith's explosion, but I feel like that's not such a great idea now. You're better off just saving as much burst as possible for the last "phase" and burning them down before they explode.

3) Have to kite Dro. I did Army Training for the first time on my mage yesterday and I tried to tank him like I do on my DH. He killed me without even touching my 20 Withered army. This time, I just led him in a merry go around. He still got close to killing me, but fortunately I had taken Cold Snap so I healed up during Block. Ice Floes would've been a huge help here but I was experimenting with Ring of Frost. You want to, honestly, treat this like a PVP encounter with a Rogue or a Warrior and just keep your distance while your Withered hammer away at him. Remember to turn on berserking if the coast is clear (I was too close to Phyx to do it). Make sure you're using Frost Nova and Ice Barrier regularly to extend your life, and pop your DPS cooldowns as well. I lost 6 withered out of 24.

4) One trick I discovered is that you can use the berserking as a "hold position". There is that one encounter where you need to kill a spider elite to open a door, and the elite's surrounded by eggs. I didn't want to go in so I had the idea of turning on berserking in the room outside and then pulling the elite out. Worked like a charm.

5) The spiral staircase is very frightening because of the aforementioned knockback. You'll want to use some targeted AoE to pull the spiderlings on the ground to you so you can clear a space. Another way to do it is just to run into a corner while spamming AoE to draw aggro. Again, make sure you run to the front so the spiders attack you. If they touch your withered, chances are they'll get knocked over the side and aggro the entire place.

Suggested talents for Frost
Bone Chilling - Only choice here
Cold Snap - For healing against Dro
Mirror Image - Could be good fire and forget against Dro, I used IF in my run but I might try Mirror Image next time
Frozen Touch - On demand burst for wraiths, and can be casted while kiting.
Ice Nova (?) - I like the burst provided by Frozen Touch but an on demand AoE snare could be good too
Ice Floes - kiting Dro
Ice Ward (?) - For double snaring, since I'm frost I already get another snare with my Water Elemental but Fire or Arcane could use it
Frost Bomb - DPS/Cleave
Glacial Spike - Would be a lot better with Ice Floes against Dro, but sadly I didn't have Floes so I couldn't take advantage of Spike.

For Fire (theorycrafting)
Conflagration - Dps boost
Cold Snap - Same as Frost
Shimmer - Possibility for Fire because of your Artifact trait that gives you a heal
Mirror Image - Same as Frost
Flame On - Same reasoning as Frozen Touch
Ice Floes - Same as Frost
Ice Ward - Same as Frost
Living Bomb - Can be cast while kiting
Meteor - For burst. Might have to time it so that it starts coming down before a Wraith begins to explode

For Arcane (theorycrafting)
Arcane Familiar - Passive DPS boost
Presence of Mind - For kiting Dro
Cold Snap - Same as Frost
Supernova - Instant interrupt is a godsend against both Wraiths and Dro and anyone else
Ice Floes - Same as Frost
Ice Ward - Same as Frost
Arcane Orb - Instant damage for kiting

Strimei

2) Originally I thought to Ring of Frost the Arcane Wraith's explosion, but I feel like that's not such a great idea now. You're better off just saving as much burst as possible for the last "phase" and burning them down before they explode.

As an arcane mage, I prefer to use supernova for them, as the knock-up interrupts their explosion cast. Very useful.

3) Have to kite Dro. I did Army Training for the first time on my mage yesterday and I tried to tank him like I do on my DH. He killed me without even touching my 20 Withered army. This time, I just led him in a merry go around. He still got close to killing me, but fortunately I had taken Cold Snap so I healed up during Block. Ice Floes would've been a huge help here but I was experimenting with Ring of Frost. You want to, honestly, treat this like a PVP encounter with a Rogue or a Warrior and just keep your distance while your Withered hammer away at him. Remember to turn on berserking if the coast is clear (I was too close to Phyx to do it). Make sure you're using Frost Nova and Ice Barrier regularly to extend your life, and pop your DPS cooldowns as well. I lost 6 withered out of 24.

Hah, I actually tanked him! As I mentioned above, the shield from Thalyssra, combined with doing as much damage as possible, will take him out pretty quick (and I think he ignores the Berserker's taunts?).

So I think I'm finally going to resub tonight or tomorrow, pretty excited.

I might of asked this before, sorry if I have, but the questing in Warlords was pretty good, right? Thinking about exhausting that out before hitting Legion.

mclem

They've updated that loading screen tooltip!

"Nobody has seen Alleria or Turalyon in years... until now!"

(Spoilering because it's still a spoiler if you've not played through your class campaign)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

(Spoilering because it's still a spoiler if you've not played through your class campaign)

i didn't see them in mine :(

Magnus

It's really useful for the missions you need to unlock stuff, like the class campaign. It results in no wasted time and makes the whole thing a lot quicker.

Unless you're a dumb dumb like me and set the schedule so that a critical mission ends at 3am when you're asleep. Fuck

Better than Legion, probably.

Yeah, no. Questing in WoD falls flat on its face the moment you leave the Alliance and Horde starting zones. While I haven't finished High Mountain or started Val'sharah, there's no way that the remainder of High Mountain or all of Val'sharah are as awful as the nonsensical gongshows that Gorgrond and Talador were. Frankenstiened, hacked together zones with quest lines and narratives that don't even fit together or make sense.

WoD's Orgrim Doomhammer still cracks me up.

Magnus

Huh. I didn't see
Alleria
in mine. Priest. :(

Strimei

Wonder if they hotfixed the Life Finds a Way world quest (where you free and ride Su'esh) to be easier. Used to take forever now its right quick.

Tenebrous

Approaching artifact level 23, and I've still not seen a legendary drop for anyone in my heroic dungeon groups. More worryingly, every one I've seen drop in guild has either come from a cache or mythic dungeon...

On a brighter note, the augment runes are going for silly money, and the gold from the satchels doesn't hurt.

M.D

3 days for the raid and my Rogue is only 103. I need to get going and start making progress.

I'm sad that I probably won't be tanking for my guild because I love tanking and Vengeance DH is a blast to play :(

Sölf

Wonder if they hotfixed the Life Finds a Way world quest (where you free and ride Su'esh) to be easier. Used to take forever now its right quick.

They did. It takes much less time now. To be precise, each demon (maybe each enemy) now gives 2-3% instead of sometimes less than 1.

Strimei

Sölf;217205571 said:
They did. It takes much less time now. To be precise, each demon (maybe each enemy) now gives 2-3% instead of sometimes less than 1.

Thank god.

I hated running over/stomping that pack of like 8 felguards near where the second boss is in court of stars and only getting like, 1%. That made zero sense.

Took my warrior from 100 to 102 but I don't think I really enjoy it, but I can't really put my finger on why. Everything feels like it takes slightly too long to kill, I feel kinda squishy for my class, it's just not really doing it for me. I don't see the benefit of leveling as arms or fury over prot, if it's as good as prot pally. I enjoy Hunter way more as a DPS class, and probably DH too. I think I might abandon the warrior, sadly. Arms could be fun in dungeons but leveling just feels kind of like a chore. Maybe I'll give leveling as Prot a shot.

Xeteh

Took my warrior from 100 to 102 but I don't think I really enjoy it, but I can't really put my finger on why. Everything feels like it takes slightly too long to kill, I feel kinda squishy for my class, it's just not really doing it for me. I don't see the benefit of leveling as arms or fury over prot, if it's as good as prot pally. I enjoy Hunter way more as a DPS class, and probably DH too. I think I might abandon the warrior, sadly. Arms could be fun in dungeons but leveling just feels kind of like a chore. Maybe I'll give leveling as Prot a shot.

If you're annoyed by the sustainability you could always make/buy that Fighter's Chow that increases your out of combat regen by 1000%, its really silly for leveling. If you're just not enjoying Warrior, though... then yeah, not much you can do there.

CHC

Withered Training has destroyed the expansion.

It's kind of just its own optional thing. If you want rep and hate it THAT badly, you can just do Nightfallen world quests. Like 3 of those and you'll get the same rep as a good Withered run.

I hate it too, but I can deal with it once every 3 days.

Xeteh

Thank god.

I hated running over/stomping that pack of like 8 felguards near where the second boss is in court of stars and only getting like, 1%. That made zero sense.

Yeah I had stopped doing it then the other day someone in the thread mentioned they reduced how many you had to kill to finish it. Where as I used to camp around that group of 10 Felguards and kill them 4-5 times before I finished, I finished it the last time before I even got to them.

Withered Training has destroyed the expansion.

That is quite the exaggeration. You can opt not to do it and miss out on a bit of rep every 3 days or do what you can and get something out of it.

v1perz53

At least it's not

Vyrkul guy you've never heard of
Vyrkul guy you've never heard of but then realize it's the boss from WOTLK that has no lore signifigance
Vyrkul guy you've never heard of
Vyrkul lady you've never heard of
Iron Dwarf you've never heard of
2 random Ulduar bosses

The greatest warriors assembled, friends.

Man I would literally give my firstborn child to have Thorim and Hodir as my followers. Guess you can't please everyone.

Also withered training is so much worse than the treasure room in MoP was. I finished today with a 650 score and 52 withered (guardian druid, so it is super easy for me), and all I get is like 425 rep, 300 artifact power and an 810 item. Now that I have no purple chests left to get it just feels pointless to even run it.

Sölf;217205571 said:

In addition, named demon at the starting area gives like 30% alone, I killed him 3 times (he respawns in ~15 sec) and I was done.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
just had my proper decent withered scenario on the monk. As windwalker. So some tips for those still struggling.

My gear is about ilvl 830, and I went in with 15 withered (1300 mana).I had no upgrades yet because the only chest I go last time was the bank lol.

Stared off clearing the initial are and ignoring the first boss in the locked room. Carefully killed the patroling mana elemental in the circular area and the centaur ladies whatever they are, went down and cleared that area with the spiders which is easy. There were no withered to recruit down there this time unfortunately, and no chest because thats where the bank chest is.

Back up, cleared another mana elemental from one side so I could proceed, went down always dreading Dio would show up but he didnt, killed more spiders, recruited more withered along the way, got a big (10 withered) chest because I was afraid Dio would pop soon and I already had around 18 or so withered and I figured with the remaining 8 I could get some score and maybe a medium chest.

Then I got to the downstairs spider circular room and as I was clearing to get more withered, Dio pops. This is where I lucked out because as he killed me, that buff you get from Thalysra that makes an explosion when you are about to die procced and killed Dio lol. It must have taken like 2 thirds of his life.

So I was down to 1 withered. I explored some more, carefully pulled spiders and shit, gathered a few more withered but all the doors were locked because I didnt have 10 withered to open them. Explored some more and got the room you open with the dio key, got 3 withered in there, went around opening all the doors (but not fighting the bosses), just so I could see if I could carefully get some more withered in those rooms without pulling bosses. And I did.

Long story short, after some mroe careful pulls and exploring, I managed to get 2 big chests and 2 medium ones from that run, last medium was after killing the first spider boss (in the long room, not the one at the end).

I got VERY lucky with Dio, and he is deffinately a problem, but if you can deal with him, the rest is just a matter of being careful and ignoring bosses until later runs when you have more upgrades and better gear.

My score was about 459 I think too which is very decent. So yeah, melee and not even tank specced. Hopefully peeps dont see this as a brag (especially when I got so lucky with Dio lol) just to hopefully show that its not impossible at all with some patience. It took me like 45mins tbh I was so careful walking around and pulling heh.

(My hunter earlier of course obliterated the place lol)

You do realize you're not meant to get the chests before you're done clearing, yeah? Kill everything & walk back to get the chests.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah, no. Questing in WoD falls flat on its face the moment you leave the Alliance and Horde starting zones. While I haven't finished High Mountain or started Val'sharah, there's no way that the remainder of High Mountain or all of Val'sharah are as awful as the nonsensical gongshows that Gorgrond and Talador were. Frankenstiened, hacked together zones with quest lines and narratives that don't even fit together or make sense.

Having played Legion extensively and following the leveling path a few times, I actually think it's pretty weak. Blizzard did a good job with the late game systems, but the path there is just beyond slight and forgettable. Highmountain is probably just the epitome of this, a completely one note zone with no interesting dynamics that does less with its repeated themes than we've seen in Warcraft before. Revisiting the Cataclysm zones for some of the Shaman quests really shed light on how bland the Legion zones are. Warlords of Draenor had an extreme number of problems, but the locations were much more diverse, dynamic, and interesting to explore.

I feel that Blizzard should be held to a higher accountability level with Legion's leveling zones. They are spartan, uninteresting, lacking diversity, and have such an insignificant soundtrack backing them up. Legion's leveling is getting a pass because it's quick and painless, but the complexity, scope, and ambition is completely absent.

arimanius

Honestly, most tanking mechanics on bosses are stupidly easy. The issue always seems to be lazy DPS trying to push their job off on us. Like the last fight in Vault on heroic and up, the tank literally cannot work the light due to a stun/knockback combo that'll send you flying off the platform if you even look at the edge but they'll still try and force it onto you.

If you want to tank, just do it. Odds are it's the DPS that will ruin your experience. At least that's my experience over the years.

It's more awful trying to learn the role in older content where people just expect you to know everything because they've run the same content over and over throughout the years. People are a lot more forgiving in newer content. Granted old content up to Cata (and even then it's largely just TW) is just tank and spank and a complete faceroll with heirlooms but you don't know that starting out and likely don't have heirlooms.

But even if there are assholes, or the entirely possible fact that you throw a dungeon run under the bus because you do badly, your next queue to learn and improve is mere minutes away, while they await 45 minutes. There's never a better time to learn and give it a shot than now. My experience as a first time tank main has been overwhelmingly positive, I found that to be true of healing as well.

I think I only want to play hybrids than can do everything moving forward. Even if that means being a predominantly melee player and only playing Paladin, Monk and Druid.

In my brief experience Warlocks and Hunters are usually the most problematic DPS classes to play with because half the time they don't turn growl off on their pets, sometimes even when asked. Then you have to fight to maintain aggro and it starts to become real work. I just let them take the aggro if the mobs are only going after them.

Thanks for advice. I always like playing classes that can tank but I seldom ever do it. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and give it a shot. As you guys said, it is the beginning of an expansion so know would be the best time to give it a try.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've done 3 characters to 110 now and a few inbetween and I'll definitely go in the camp that WoD had better leveling zones.

Legion has a better carrot on a stick in artifact power over perks and checkign Dalaran for your class hall stuff and profession quests, but the quest lines in Warlords were less annoying. A lot of the quests in Legion feel like they drag forever after the first time and the WoD zones are much, MUCH easier to navigate than the Legion zones. Half of my leveling time in Legion feels like me trying to find where the cliff I go up is to find a cave underwater.
Man I would literally give my firstborn child to have Thorim and Hodir as my followers. Guess you can't please everyone.

I'd kill to have Chen or Akama or Nazgrim. The most famous warrior in all of Warcraft(Grom) was brought back in WoD and still survived it and yet the warrior class hall has zero to do with him.

CHC

I've done 3 characters to 110 now and a few inbetween and I'll definitely go in the camp that WoD had better leveling zones.

Legion has a better carrot on a stick in artifact power over perks and checkign Dalaran for your class hall stuff and profession quests, but the quest lines in Warlords were less annoying. A lot of the quests in Legion feel like they drag forever after the first time and the WoD zones are much, MUCH easier to navigate than the Legion zones. Half of my leveling time in Legion feels like me trying to find where the cliff I go up is to find a cave underwater.

I will agree the navigation verges on obnoxious at times. In zones like Stormheim or Highmountain it makes sense, but places like Azsuna or Val'sharah shouldn't be such a pain in the ass to navigate. This expansion could have definitely used one or two zones that felt really open and sprawling. I liked it all when you're doing the actual quests and you're ferried from one hub to another, but running around trying to do world quests can be really fucking maddening when you follow a road to your "destination" only to realize too late that it's at the top of a 300 foot cliff.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I'd kill to have Chen or Akama or Nazgrim. The most famous warrior in all of Warcraft(Grom) was brought back in WoD and still survived it and yet the warrior class hall has zero to do with him.

Grom is in Draenor, not the current time.

Strimei

I'll agree that some of WoD's leveling zones were great. SMV, Talador, Spires, but definitely not Gorgrond.

Stormheim and Azsuna have both been fun, I feel, but Highmountain bored me (and was a pain to navigate. I still haven't gotten a few flightpoints because I can't for the life of me figure out how to reach them) and Val'sharah was just too druidic for my tastes, which is probably why I like Aszuna the most. It had a good variety overall.

Hixx

I fucking hated WoD's zones outside of Frostfire/SMV. I was even disappointed with Nagrand. Everytime an alt got to Gorgrond...

In Legion, Stormheim is the only zone I haven't done multiple times yet but Aszuna and Val'Sharah are so quick and simple that I can't ever see myself dreading any tedium there in future. Highmountain is a bit naff though.

Xeteh

You all are insane. I'm with Hixx, Frostfire and SMV were good... I fucking loved Frostfire's story with the Icewolves. As a whole, I'd take Legion over Draenor as far as leveling zones go.

Ashodin

heavy breathing

So this thing plus target scan enemy hold feature that changes the way you target enemies if you use it (it works similar to Guild Wars 2's action cam)

I can now do this sweetness

lCmbtZd.gif

In this GIF I am using mouse look to target each enemy without holding anything down (I just right click to select target) and Left Click is Zeal, which is the closest thing to an auto attack hit on my bar.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
really though, kara dungeon better have an updated wolfslayer sniper rifle skin as an unlockable artifact appearance

because i hate all the artifact skins for bm

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yes that's Gul'Dan, the time traveling main villain and pawn of Burning Legion.

Grom has his people to lead in Draenor. Just like Yrel.

uh huh

and Akama leads the Broken in Outlands. And he's a DH follower. And Taran Zhu is a monk follower, and he's responsible for the safety of all of Pandaria.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
uh huh

and Akama leads the Broken in Outlands. And he's a DH follower.

Getting recruited or killed and ripped his soul out of
in present time by his old master's faction. Not time traveling at all.

I dont know what to tell you, I think it's understandable they dont want to bring a bunch of currently-dead people back to present time from Draenor, with the exception of this version of Gul'Dan. It'd never end.

Cool, just failed the Withered Army scenario with 25 withered cleaning up the rest after clearing it and fell off something and the Withered didn't follow me. What an amazingly designed quest.

Fjordson

Hit 110 on my DK finally, but I keep feeling an itch to go back to my enhance shammy from MoP for some reason. Love playing unholy but I dunno, enhance looks really fun also.

I like some of WoD's zones a lot, but would agree that overall Legion's are much better.

I haven't done Azsuna yet, but Val'Sharjah, Highmountain and Stormheim have all been amazing. Highmountain is one of my favourite WoW zones ever.

Top Bottom