• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well I got my "alt" the monk to 830ish ilvl (my hunter is 845), rep is about 3k into honored so with some nightfallen emmisary quests ill get that 8k soon enough to unlock the dungeons (which I havent even done on the hunter even tho I unlocked them) and art power wise Im about to get my second gold talent as resto, and my dps art has its first gold talent and a bit more. Granted ive been playing a lot lately since im off work but still, seems totally doable to me, im not even grinding world quests for art power for example, and I havent done many dungeons.

A friend of mine switched from DK to Pali main and hes about caught up on his DK aswell.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there an easy way to keep addons in sync between multiple PCs?

I know that Curse Client will keep them all up to date (even tho I think I need premium to be able to automatically share the addon list between computers?) but anyway, afaik, Curse doesn't take care of the actual settings for each addons.

I'm playing on both my PC at home and at work and it's really annoying to have to re-do all the settings changes I do on each machines.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Is there an easy way to keep addons in sync between multiple PCs?

I know that Curse Client will keep them all up to date (even tho I think I need premium to be able to automatically share the addon list between computers?) but anyway, afaik, Curse doesn't take care of the actual settings for each addons.

I'm playing on both my PC at home and at work and it's really annoying to have to re-do all the settings changes I do on each machines.

I think you can keep some folders - Interface and WTF(I Think) on a USB drive and put em in the other PC and copy/paste them over. Nothing automagically in the Cloud or anything as far as I know.

Just haven't had a negative experience tanking yet, even when I do badly. Even with reading the adventure guide I managed to fuck things up. People are a lot more forgiving at expac start. Oh well, Azsuna and Stormheim done, second pillar acquired and I'm 108.

lazygecko

Can someone give me a rundown on how exactly the targeting system works with ConsolePort using the Steam controller? It just seems finicky as hell to me.

Man, some tanks are really bad... ;p

My first run through the Eye of Azshara went horribly! Halls of Valor is a lot more obviously straight-forward. Next run will go smoothly. I should probably watch some videos on dungeon content so I'm running less blind into some encounters. Proper Bird put a series on dungeon content out.

arimanius

Just haven't had a negative experience tanking yet, even when I do badly. Even with reading the adventure guide I managed to fuck things up. People are a lot more forgiving at expac start. Oh well, Azsuna and Stormheim done, second pillar acquired and I'm 108.

I always have respect for people trying to learn how to tank. I would love to tank but just don't have the balls to try. Don't want to deal with the assholes and I don't like ruining someone's experience and waste their time if it goes horrible wrong

Megasoum

Banned
I decided to go to a PVP server to play with a friend... First time for me since I've been on a normal server since vanilla.

Man fuuuuuck that... Can't wait to go back to a normal.

Trying to do my jewelcrafting quest in the Dalaran sewers and there's just like 5 lvl 110 camping there.

Xeteh

I decided to go to a PVP server to play with a friend... First time for me since I've been on a normal server since vanilla.

Trying to do my jewelcrafting quest in the Dalaran sewers and there's just like 5 lvl 110 camping there.

Aren't the Dalaran sewers PVP even on PVE servers? Either way, just talk to the guard captain in the safe area and hire a bodyguard for 5g... prevents PVP action.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I always have respect for people trying to learn how to tank. I would love to tank but just don't have the balls to try. Don't want to deal with the assholes and I don't like ruining someone's experience and waste their time if it goes horrible wrong

Honestly, most tanking mechanics on bosses are stupidly easy. The issue always seems to be lazy DPS trying to push their job off on us. Like the last fight in Vault on heroic and up, the tank literally cannot work the light due to a stun/knockback combo that'll send you flying off the platform if you even look at the edge but they'll still try and force it onto you.

If you want to tank, just do it. Odds are it's the DPS that will ruin your experience. At least that's my experience over the years.

It's more awful trying to learn the role in older content where people just expect you to know everything because they've run the same content over and over throughout the years. People are a lot more forgiving in newer content. Granted old content up to Cata (and even then it's largely just TW) is just tank and spank and a complete faceroll with heirlooms but you don't know that starting out and likely don't have heirlooms.

But even if there are assholes, or the entirely possible fact that you throw a dungeon run under the bus because you do badly, your next queue to learn and improve is mere minutes away, while they await 45 minutes. There's never a better time to learn and give it a shot than now. My experience as a first time tank main has been overwhelmingly positive, I found that to be true of healing as well.

I think I only want to play hybrids than can do everything moving forward. Even if that means being a predominantly melee player and only playing Paladin, Monk and Druid.

If you want to tank, just do it. Odds are it's the DPS that will ruin your experience. At least that's my experience over the years.

In my brief experience Warlocks and Hunters are usually the most problematic DPS classes to play with because half the time they don't turn growl off on their pets, sometimes even when asked. Then you have to fight to maintain aggro and it starts to become real work. I just let them take the aggro if the mobs are only going after them.

With cross realm groups I don't think there's anything except guilds that require you to be on the same realm. I dumped my friends on the PVP realm we've played on since vanilla and went PVE myself (RP to be specific).

But as was pointed out earlier, the sewers are always a PVP zone.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In my brief experience Warlocks and Hunters are usually the most problematic DPS classes to play with because half the time they don't turn growl off on their pets, sometimes even when asked. Then you have to fight to maintain aggro and it starts to become real work. I just let them take the aggro if the mobs are only going after them.

That's literally the worst part of the job. DPS screwing up during boss fights and getting themselves killed is also rather infuriating though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
had the worst time healing heroic halls of valor, I thought I was being trolled. Tank chain pulling without waiting to be topped off, dps ninja pulling, all that you can imagine... turns out I was being trolled, the other 4 were in the same guild and even admited to trolling.

Sigh why, are you that bored? Still finished it tho :3

Tenebrous

Another legendary in the guild - Another social gets it.

No-one in our confirmed core team has a BiS legendary yet. Neither tank has one, one healer has two (both shite), one trial DPS has two (one good), but those that have put in the most work, have nothing.

Man, some tanks are really bad... ;p

I was thinking that about pretty much every damn hunter in dungeon finder history.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So I unsubscribed earlier.
If I wanted to play an alt at 110 I'd have to do the grind to unlock the two dungeons, and then constantly play catch up on artifact power which.. kind of sucks tbh.
It's really not a big deal. You want to do Suramar for the AP gains anyways. It's not like you fall that far behind by not being able to do them right away.
I just can't even with this across the board 10% nerf to tank damage, including (presumably) single-target abilities. Not like they're buffing other shitty specs to compensate for the loss of damage in the meanwhile, it's just so goddamn stupid. One of the biggest games in the world and apparently it's being (not) balanced by complete idiots.

I feel you Rizzi, I can guarantee you I am never ever going to do Rumor Has It again.
10% is literally nothing, but I don't think they've said anything just yet about what the specific nerfs will be. It is impossible for me to understand how someone can engage with the content and think that it's okay for tanks to do so much damage when their survivability is so high compared to everyone else.
Just need to vote kick people that don't listen. There is nothing to really learn with tanking other than which pulls to take, which is fairly self-explanatory. It's probably the easiest job in the game by far.

21 Withered and an i841 Fire Mage and Dro spawns and kills us like nothing. Did Blizzard fucking test that elite for anyone other than tanks or healers. Run was solid man had around 250 score with all those withered left.

10% is literally nothing, but I don't think they've said anything just yet about what the specific nerfs will be. It is impossible for me to understand how someone can engage with the content and think that it's okay for tanks to do so much damage when their survivability is so high compared to everyone else.

10% is actually literally 10%. Tanks don't do a lot of damage at all, if you played one you'd know what you're talking about. We do respectable AoE damage because it's literally our jobs to attack all the things so they don't eat the healer or DPS. I've never pulled ahead of any DPS'er on a boss fight in this expansion, even shitty ones. Some specs are simply bad at AoE and instead of fixing that, tanks are eating a bullshit damage nerf, simply so clearing trash packs will take 5 seconds longer. Meanwhile, I'll kill things even slower while doing world content. It's ridiculous.

10% is actually literally 10%. Tanks don't do a lot of damage at all, if you played one you'd know what you're talking about. We do respectable AoE damage because it's literally our jobs to attack all the things so they don't eat the healer or DPS. I've never pulled ahead of any DPS'er on a boss fight in this expansion, even shitty ones. Some specs are simply bad at AoE and instead of fixing that, tanks are eating a bullshit damage nerf, simply so clearing trash packs will take 5 seconds longer. Meanwhile, I'll kill things even slower while doing world content. It's ridiculous.

No, tanks don't do comparative damage to equally-geared DPS, but being 20 iLvls ahead of all the DPS in one heroic group I was pretty easily top on single target and AoE most of the time. It may have been a problem.

21 Withered and an i841 Fire Mage and Dro spawns and kills us like nothing. Did Blizzard fucking test that elite for anyone other than tanks or healers. Run was solid man had around 250 score with all those withered left.

Bruh, you have Dragon's Breath, one of the best possible CCs for Dro. Forget to put it on your bars?

Tenebrous

Pretty much.

It also means that some classes (like Death Knights) will have reduced defensive capabilities, but hopefully they'll fix that before applying such a lazy "hotfix."

dimb

10% is actually literally 10%. Tanks don't do a lot of damage at all, if you played one you'd know what you're talking about instead of talking out your ass. We do respectable AoE damage because it's literally our jobs to attack all the things so they don't eat the healer or DPS. I've never pulled ahead of any DPS'er on a boss fight in this expansion, even shitty ones. Some specs are simply bad at AoE and instead of fixing that, tanks are eating a bullshit damage nerf, simply so clearing trash packs will take 5 seconds longer. Meanwhile, I'll kill things even slower while doing world content. It's ridiculous.
10% of a number that might as well be irrelevant does not matter. Tank DPS should be nice to have, but ultimately not really comparable to what DPS can do. It is very common to see a tank at #2/3 damage for the instance run right now, particularly if they are Demon Hunters or Paladins. And if they are not there they are not realistically far behind. If you cannot pull ahead of bad DPS on a fight that is on you, particularly if there is an ilevel difference. Tanks getting nerfed is almost unrelated to dungeons, it's more related to how much more capable they are compared to everything else in solo content. Pretending it's some world ending change that a tank averages 180,000 DPS across the dungeon instead of 200k is just funny to me, particularly when this change has not happened yet, has not been specifically predicted, and will not even be that noticeable. Taking up a preemptive "woe is me" attitude when tanks are so strong right now is just so weird, particularly when you think they will not buff underperforming classes.

antonz

Well someone asked if they could skip suramar a few days ago. 7.1 seems to really suggest no. Its adding an additional 9 weeks worth of gated quests. You get a Mount at the end of it but the gating is real

Tenebrous

Just makes me laugh that they're blanket lowering the numbers based on trivial 5-man dungeon content. Give me any three equally geared DPS classes on a boss fight & my damage will be made irrelevant in no time.

Well someone asked if they could skip suramar a few days ago. 7.1 seems to really suggest no. Its adding an additional 9 weeks worth of gated quests. You get a Mount at the end of it but the gating is real

I understand they want to keep people subscribed, but are people really going to stick around for months to see things like the end of a few more Suramar chains?

It's significantly less stressful than healing.

For PuG content, I agree. Being geared usually means I can salvage the situation on a tank, but sometimes you cannot heal the level of stupidity that plagues PuG's. As for tanks vs healers, depends on the content, but some definitely take more skill than others. Doubt anyone thinks mastering a BM hunter is harder than mastering a BM monk.

scy

On one-hand, the 10% nerf annoys me since, well, I play a tank (DK, DH) and losing DPS sucks. On the other, I can also pull entire zones and solo every World Quest group boss while DPS are basically at the mercy of finding people so eh, I can't complain too much.

I do hope Charred Warblades goes to 20% to offset the damage loss, I guess? And maybe more tank-with-DPS-utility trinkets too. Other than that, just kind of "That's disappointing."

There is nothing to really learn with tanking other than which pulls to take, which is fairly self-explanatory. It's probably the easiest job in the game by far.

Tanking itself, pretty straightforward. Expectation to lead pulls to fit everyone's ideas (why not skip this, hop these walls for that, etc.) is the true difficulty.

The mount is totally worth it though. And you really only have to fully complete the quest chain once. If it's like the garrison campaign, which was totally not worth doing multiple times.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
fYNhQNt.png

We did it boys. I'll write up some strategy later on, deciding on chests now (fresh character so no upgrades).

PVE is pretty face roll while leveling as a Prot Paladin. Maybe the 10% damage nerf will slow things down or become problematic at cap, I dunno. If it does, I'll just add a DPS combat follower from my Order Hall if I can afford to lose them for follower missions. The few times I've had a follower during an order hall campaign quest has made blowing through mobs even faster and easier.

Even if fighting trash mobs becomes a little slower because of the flat damage nerf, that's not enough to deter me from playing maining a tank, there's simply too many advantages to the role otherwise.

Xando

It's fucking insane. I can kill him with kiting but not without having atleast half of my withered killed because of his fucking teleport skill.

spootime

Quick question for mages

I'm doing my first 5 missions through my order hall mission table, and my first mission's time reduction requirement needs someone to have blizzard as an ability. However, I don't have any followers with blizzard. Anyone know how to unlock them?

Rokam

Just saw an Elemental Shaman in the FFA arena in Blackrook Hold, poor guy. I even tried to give him kills on me but he couldn't nuke me down fast enough before we were discovered. So squishy too.

If the Crusade change goes in for Ret I'm going to be immensely sad. The current iteration feels so good, and is such a major dps boost.

Tamanon

Banned
Quick question for mages

I'm doing my first 5 missions through my order hall mission table, and my first mission's time reduction requirement needs someone to have blizzard as an ability. However, I don't have any followers with blizzard. Anyone know how to unlock them?

You'll just find followers later that have that counter.

Magnus

Man, now that I have an alt at 102 with even just a few champions and missions, the app value is REAL. I'll have a couple more alts at 102+ next week. Will be sweet to keep their shit going while I'm offline. Love it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man, now that I have an alt at 102 with even just a few champions and missions, the app value is REAL. I'll have a couple more alts at 102+ next week. Will be sweet to keep their shit going while I'm offline. Love it.

It's really useful for the missions you need to unlock stuff, like the class campaign. It results in no wasted time and makes the whole thing a lot quicker.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
While my Mage have

Old woman
Blu dragon dude who dont remembers you
.....more dudes and a golem
At least it's not

Vyrkul guy you've never heard of
Vyrkul guy you've never heard of but then realize it's the boss from WOTLK that has no lore signifigance
Vyrkul guy you've never heard of
Vyrkul lady you've never heard of
Iron Dwarf you've never heard of
2 random Ulduar bosses

The greatest warriors assembled, friends.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
so wait

hex is literally a strictly better polymorph? is there something i'm missing here?

[edit] oh the cooldown

Man, I'm resto shaman main and I cannot do the damn withered training as ele. Dro is killing me, not the withered but ME. Ele is awful. 3 times I've died to him now.

The price of Hexweave Bags seems to be going back up from an average of 800 gold to 1200 gold each morning. The halcyon days of the 800 gold price point seem to be over. That said, they don't really seem necessary in Legion the way they felt necessary in Warlords without your garrison trade buildings output. In WoD I had two Hexweave bags dedicated to professions, first aid and cooking and they were almost always full. That doesn't seem to be the case in Legion.

dimb

Man, I'm resto shaman main and I cannot do the damn withered training as ele. Dro is killing me, not the withered but ME. Ele is awful. 3 times I've died to him now.
Chain CC and create separation with Icefury. Can take advantage of Hex if you need to.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The price of Hexweave Bags seems to be going back up from an average of 800 gold to 1200 gold each morning. The halcyon days of the 800 gold price point seem to be over. That said, they don't really seem necessary in Legion the way they felt necessary in Warlords without your garrison trade buildings output. In WoD I had two Hexweave bags dedicated to professions, first aid and cooking and they were almost always full. That doesn't seem to be the case in Legion.

I still don't understand why they don't just give us a non-cooldowned 30 slot bag.

Strimei

While we're on the subject of Dro... Any reason to bother with Withered Army Training other than rep? Can't find any related achievements, and after having server issues the last two times, I'm kinda hesitant to go back.

Several specs have their hidden artifact appearance in it.

so wait

hex is literally a strictly better polymorph? is there something i'm missing here?

[edit] oh the cooldown

That and it can break at any point, I believe, whereas with Poly you know its either going to last the duration if it isn't touched or will break instantly with damage, so you can plan accordingly.

Lain

I'm still making them for my characters. So far only one has all 30 slot bags for the bank, my paladin, the rest only have 30 slots for personal use. I was surprised to see that Legion gave me a 24 slot bag recipe. I guess it improves over time, or there will be some other recipe to learn (didn't really research much on this), as going back to 24 from 30 would seem weird.

Strimei

Haha, just had Dro get the jump on me while fighting like six of the spider-elves.

I creamed him! He did kill my berserker, but he was the only casualty. That barrier-thing mentioned that's given by Thalyssra for 50 mana is a godsend, definitely get it!

Top Bottom