• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Cast from staff plz

legit one of my fave things about arcane tbh

wowscrnshot_091916_00rwoau.jpg

wowscrnshot_091916_00fro4k.jpg

Lomax

Any particular cause for this new round of DDoSing?

Honestly, it just seems like the scapegoat for any server issues Blizz ever has now. Things have been spotty at best since they did the full Battle.net merge, it's just now they can point the finger somewhere else instead of at their own issues.

Tarazet

wow, the Destruction Artifact quest for Warlocks is all kinds of broken. Not only cant I finish it, but I cant even click the portal back to my class hall now (its the one in the udnerbelly right? I havent played lock sicne the first few days of the xpac)

I did it just yesterday, someone else in the instance said they couldn't do it either. I just ported back to Dal.

I resubbed yesterday for the first time since Cata. Got to 90 after one zone basically in Pandaria.

Spent most of today trying to resolve technical issues and then DDoS time.

zeemumu

Anyone else having issues logging in? The screen holds on the "logging in" prompt and then says it disconnected.

On the bright side, I'm enjoying the expansion. I've got a 110 marksman hunter and a 110 destruction warlock. both are pretty fun to play, I like the artifact designs on the lock a lot more than my hunter's bow.

Lock's ilvl is 839 and hunter's is 840 so I'm hoping to raid with my guild when those start up soon.

So, to pass the time during this outage, I watched this video of all the opening Cinematics edited together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTBb2kJPDdk

First of all; holy shit there are 24 minutes of WoW cinematics now. I dunno why that floored me. I also kind of wasn't expecting the nerd chills that came with watching each one in turn. I mean, the first two are just okay. Starting at Wrath though, every single one still makes me hope for a warcraft cinematic universe somehow taking hold. I've watched the Wrath cinematic a bunch of times over the years, but I forgot how good the WoD cinematic was having only seen that once I think.

Despite the overarching story of these games being uh...not good most of the time, to put it nicely, there's no denying that this has been a journey. I've played and enjoyed WoW for countless hours since Closed beta and this video for some reason really drove home how absurd of an impact these stupid games have had on me. Some of my best friends, people I've now been playing with for 11 years, I would've never known without this game.

I have no idea why this video made me so reflective but all I know is that shit touched me.

Back to your regularly scheduled waiting for servers to come up.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I've always thought the Cata opening cinematic was one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen. They captured DW's scale and destructive power so well.

Too bad they couldn't figured out how to do the same with the last fight.

Never thought an intro would top Wrath's for me but I LOVE WoD's intro. The music is so good, Grommash getting that sweet alt-history vengeance on Mannoroth, WE WILL NEVER BE SLAVES, it's so cheeseball but I love it. Wrath's intro is amazing too but I get serious chills from WoD's intro.

Also just leveled my DH to 102, and it's like night and day compared to Warrior. Much faster in every single way, better sustain, more dynamic... sorry warrior, but you're just a poor man's DH to me now.

Strimei

Wrath's is still my favorite I feel, but MoP's always makes me laugh with the sailor and orc part, and while I'm not a huge fan of WoD's, I absolutely love Garrosh's reveal (and his "time's change" line is terrific).

Sarcasm

So I don't know if it is just me, but after getting the fishing artifact couple weeks ago I have not catch more then a couple rare bait / fish. Is it because of the pole?

erawsd

It'd be interesting to see census data broken down by spec. Feels like 90% of the DPS specs I see are DH, Fire Mage, BM Hunter, and Enhancement shaman. Meanwhile, I dont know if Ive ever seen a single survival hunter.

It'd be interesting to see census data broken down by spec. Feels like 90% of the DPS specs I see are DH, Fire Mage, BM Hunter, and Enhancement shaman. Meanwhile, I dont know if Ive ever seen a single survival hunter.

I saw a surv hunter in a dungeon the other day and it was quite surprising. There really is nothing Survival does that other specs don't do a lot better. I tried leveling as it for a while but once I switched to MM/BM (either's good for leveling) it was like twice as fast.

Strimei

While no exact numbers are given, the official wow twitter tweeted out the top 3 artifacts in use for each "type", tank, heals, caster, and melee.

Melee:

3rd - Fury Warrior
2nd - Ret Paladin
1st - Havoc DH

Healer

3rd - Holy Priest
2nd - Resto Druid
1st - Holy Paladin

Tank:

3rd - Prot Paladin
2nd - Prot Warrior
1st - Vengeance DH

Caster:

3rd - Shadow Priest
2nd - Balance Druid (the little video they tweeted out had the moonkin dancing facing away from the camera, cracks me up. I love boomkin)
1st - Fire Mage

I can definitely attest to #1 for casters. Lord knows I see so many fiery orbs in the hall. Wonder which is second most used, frost or arcane. I feel frost, since I've only seen like five other arcane users, ever.

Arcane caster are the old fire mage, praying to get three stacks of missiles , wasting dps to launch the missiles and use the four stack arcane barrage to release their main damage meanwhile any other DPS already cleared the area in like 4 seconds

I think the Wrath cinematic is still my favourite. The buildup, music and everything is superb.

RE: Warlords of Draenor zones - agree Gorgrond was the best. Nice mix of desert, tropical and coastal with decent questlines, stories and instances (Iron Docks and Blackrock Foundry were both top notch). Was super busy early on too when everyone was Poundfist camping...definitely the place to be.

lazygecko

Arcane caster are the old fire mage, praying to get three stacks of missiles , wasting dps to launch the missiles and use the four stack arcane barrage to release their main damage meanwhile any other DPS already cleared the area in like 4 seconds

Still maining arcane. Yeah, fire is "better", but whenever I play that spec I can't help but think how much more fun it was the way it worked in Cataclysm.

For trash groups I mainly just spam arcane explosion and do barrage every 5charges.

Magnus

Honestly, it just seems like the scapegoat for any server issues Blizz ever has now. Things have been spotty at best since they did the full Battle.net merge, it's just now they can point the finger somewhere else instead of at their own issues.

Whaaa? Spotty at best?

They've been super stable for years overall haven't they? Legion's launch was awesome. Maintenance is shorter than it's ever been. Etc.

Tenebrous

The amount of gold to be made buying out people trying to fake-lower the herb prices is hilarious.

Speaking of gold, how are you guys going to maximize your cash flow in the days/weeks to come? I'm hoping the runes I have will prove to be good makers, as there's two top 100 guilds on the server who've more gold than they could ever need anyway.

v1perz53

While no exact numbers are given, the official wow twitter tweeted out the top 3 artifacts in use for each "type", tank, heals, caster, and melee.

I can definitely attest to #1 for casters. Lord knows I see so many fiery orbs in the hall. Wonder which is second most used, frost or arcane. I feel frost, since I've only seen like five other arcane users, ever.

Hmm some of these are a little surprising. I've been tanking mythics with my healer and DPS friends, so I always get two randoms from the group finder. Definitely seen a ton of mages, but only a couple spriests and no Boomkins. A million and a half hunters tho, but not sure where they would fall on that list. Melee list is unsurprising.

I saw a surv hunter in a dungeon the other day and it was quite surprising. There really is nothing Survival does that other specs don't do a lot better. I tried leveling as it for a while but once I switched to MM/BM (either's good for leveling) it was like twice as fast.

Yea, melee survival is cool, but kind of an odd choice. In a class that only has DPS specs, you'll only choose something if it either does more AoE damage or more ST damage, and if blizzard made surv top damage in either of those there would be quite the shit storm. At least druid has generally had cat for ST and boomkin for cleave, I guess they could give survival hunter the burst niche? who knows.

I still think they could've done more with surv by making it a tank spec, something interesting where you split damage with your pet or something, but again I know they would never do that.

CHC

Nerf notwithstanding, protection warrior can bring the fucking PAIN when solo grinding mobs. Provided you're willing to forego Ignore Pain in favor of Focused Rage stacks, of course. I love when the stars align - triple stack Focused Rage, with Battle Cry, Shield Block and Avatar.... Shield Slams for 1,000,000+. Hnngh.

lazygecko

Now that I have the item level on my mage up to 830ish, along with having specced the arcane artifact into improved damage and range for arcane explosion first, my Heroic Everbloom trash farming has gotten even faster. I can farm it for about 35-40 minutes now before I hit the max instance limit, and by then I've farmed roughly 5k in vendor junk. Easy money every day.

Magnus

Now that I have the item level on my mage up to 830ish, along with having specced the arcane artifact into improved damage and range for arcane explosion first, my Heroic Everbloom trash farming has gotten even faster. I can farm it for about 35-40 minutes now before I hit the max instance limit, and by then I've farmed roughly 5k in vendor junk. Easy money every day.

I need to get in on this. Wonder how fast I can make it happen on an 842 shadow priest. Or would I be better off on my level 100 Mage? Probably not....

lazygecko

I need to get in on this. Wonder how fast I can make it happen on an 842 shadow priest. Or would I be better off on my level 100 Mage? Probably not....

You just need to figure out the optimal AoE mass pulling routine for your particular class and spec. Not even sure if arcane mage is the best choice but it kinda feels that way with what a simple brute force method arcane explosion is.

Spamming nova in holy spec might even be faster than shadow for all I know.

Touchdown

Banned
I'm having my guild raid team start normal mode with a minimum ilvl of 835+. Does this sound about right for a full guild group or do you think I should make the minimum a bit higher?... We'll be raiding together twice a week for 2.5 hours a night.

Tenebrous

I'm having my guild raid team start normal mode with a minimum ilvl of 835+. Does this sound about right for a full guild group or do you think I should make the minimum a bit higher?... We'll be raiding together twice a week for 2.5 hours a night.

Well it's probably a bit late to change your mind now, but 835 should be fine. Normal should be comfortable, but still a bit testy with that gear, I reckon.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Survival is probably one of the more complicated specs to execute on. Juggling Mongoose Bite procs becomes extremely demanding when there's an element of randomness to them, and on top of that you are trying to line it up with cooldowns that are on all different timers. You want as many stacks as possible for your artifact ability and that is up every 45 seconds, and you also want to line up Aspect of the Eagle inside that window but it's on a 96 second cooldown, and then you have Snake Hunter in there with a 90 second cooldown. Seems like a nightmare sometimes to get the most out of.

I tried it out a few days ago and it really didn't seem too crazy. I thought I read that it had been nerfed too because gold farmers were overusing it

Maybe my method was just bad

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Highmountain probably has the funniest moment in Legion for me. When you have to get the Airspark to do the Huln quest. If you try to grab the item instead of talking to the person next to it.

CHC

Speaking of Highmountain, did anyone else find the barrel you can get in that rolls you ALL the way down to the shore? So amazing. Broken Isles just have such a crazy amount of fun little details - I love it.

lazygecko

I tried it out a few days ago and it really didn't seem too crazy. I thought I read that it had been nerfed too because gold farmers were overusing it

Maybe my method was just bad

I haven't noticed any sort of nerf. The average amount of seeds I get per run is still roughly above 50, and they're still worth ~5g each.

Just make sure your dungeon difficulty is set to heroic and not normal or mythic.

vocab

So does anyone know how to make fullscreen stay on permanently? Every time I change it and logout/exit it the game it defaults to full screen windowed mode.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm surprised more people aren't playing Resto Shaman. It's really fun/strong.

Tarazet

Yea, melee survival is cool, but kind of an odd choice. In a class that only has DPS specs, you'll only choose something if it either does more AoE damage or more ST damage, and if blizzard made surv top damage in either of those there would be quite the shit storm. At least druid has generally had cat for ST and boomkin for cleave, I guess they could give survival hunter the burst niche? who knows.

I still think they could've done more with surv by making it a tank spec, something interesting where you split damage with your pet or something, but again I know they would never do that.

We have a Survival Hunter in our core group for Mythics. They are the only spec with traps now, and Freezing Trap is the best CC there is because it works on everything. Other than that, he is competitive with our other melee DPS, but the class is pretty squishy, and lacks good defensive cooldowns.

Lomax

Whaaa? Spotty at best?

They've been super stable for years overall haven't they? Legion's launch was awesome. Maintenance is shorter than it's ever been. Etc.

We've had login queues for no reason (well prior to Legion launch), random disconnects, and various other server issues since they did the full battle.net merge a few months ago (guess it was more like six months ago now, in prep for the Overwatch launch). Yeah, the launch was pretty stable, but I just find all these unexplained "attacks" a little mysterious and it just more likely that their servers are struggling at peak hours, which seems to be when they always happen.

carlsojo

Alright I'm ready to try a heroic on my rogue!

Things are going well...
Tank quits after the first boss. Well okay.
New tank joins. Pulls everything in the dungeon, kills us all, leaves.
The rest of the group leaves.

Why.

Top Bottom