• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Lomax

Token prices are continuing to increase as fast as the system will allow it (it's real easy to see the caps on the chart moments like these), I do think we'll get a bit of crash back tomorrow or Wednesday as usually happens after spikes like these but I really expect the long term NA price to be 100k+ and I could easily see the EU price being 200k+. Wish I could have stockpiled a lot more when they were 30k but it's nice knowing the next expansion will be "free" for me and I'll no doubt pick up some pets and mounts next time there is a sale, and maybe a copy of Diablo 3 or something. Makes me sort of care about earning gold in game again as well, which I hadn't really thought much about in a while.

Edit: keep getting "none available" on the AH right now which doesn't surprise me given that no doubt there's huge demand.

mclem

Normal Elisande's a weird fight. Really struggled with the first phase; as soon as we got everyone through it, oneshot the rest of the fight. Not having the echo mechanic makes a huge difference.

Well if you're trying to keep pace with a leveling partner but have more time to play you can invest yourself in your professions. You're a warrior right? You could pick up Mining and Blacksmithing, although the low-level stuff is mainly useful for transmogs. Or you could just go double gather, and sell the mats on the Auction House. Dalaran is an active server so you should be able to move even low level mats for a decent price. Fishing schools will occasionally yield sealed trunks, the contents of which you can also sell on the AH. Archaeology can provide you with toys, pets, mounts and what would be pretty valuable vendor trash for someone just starting out.

Also the Darkmoon Faire is going on right now, entrance is at Stormwind but there are DMF reps in every city that will teleport you to the entrance for nothing. You can play the dailies there for prize tickets which you can use to buy heirlooms, toys, and transmogs.
All of this sounds really great and I would love to start trying this out, but Im going to need a few more details on how to get started and what half of that stuff means lol

Agreed.

Stuff like the random ass legendary system is just unbelievably bad. I like Legion a lot on the whole and I'm mostly casual when it comes to raiding so for me personally it's not a huge issue, but I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for people in high end guilds to fall behind because of all the ridiculous RNG in this expansion. Feels like they went way overboard with it.

That's part of what killed my guild. A few people had 2-3 legendaries and then got pissed because people couldn't keep up. Boom, guild split.

They should just have the legendary drop be a token. Problem solved.

I was so excited when I got Fjarnskaggl level 3 to pop, until I read what it did. Completely useless if you have a Sky Golem...

It makes it so you can mount up faster after getting a herb

Need advice re: Class Hall missions. I never bothered levelling more than five of my champions once I decided which ones I wanted to prioritize. The other three are like, 109, and 110s that are still ilevel 760 or something.

Is this gimping the missions/rewards I'm seeing populated?

This came up in the WoW Token news thread I just started. I'm going to kick myself if I've been shooting myself in the foot all these months on mission rewards.

For example, the max gold mission reward I see on my main is like 670g with a bonus of about 650g as well. Meanwhile, someone just shared with me that they see bonus rewards in excess of 1k.

Sounds gimped. I always get 1500 gold bonus now. But I didn't know it did that if followers weren't leveled. That's dirty.

All of this sounds really great and I would love to start trying this out, but Im going to need a few more details on how to get started and what half of that stuff means lol

So in any faction hub, like Darnassus or Stormwind, and often smaller quest hubs, there are profession trainers. So besides choosing a class to play as you can learn two main professions--gathering and/or crafting professions--on top of first aid, fishing, cooking, and, once you hit lvl 20, archaeology. Press K to open the profession menu in-game.

You can ask any guard where a specific profession trainer is in a faction hub and they will set a marker on your mini-map.

I like to pick professions suited to my class, if I make a Warrior, I tend to go with Mining and Blacksmithing. If I make a Hunter, Skinning and Leatherworking. Make a Mage, Tailoring and Enchanting. If you want to just make money, you can go double gather, pick two out of the three gathering profession, Mining, Herbalism and Skinning, gather those mats and sell them on the Auction House to make gold.

Double Gather is advisable when you're starting out but a crafting profession can also be something you can invest yourself into as well. You can make yourself armor (mostly just for transmogs--their appearance), weapons, bags, toys, pets and mounts once you level your profession up to a certain point. What you can make depends on the profession you choose.

so while you're waiting for your partner to be able to play you can roam the zones you've completed already and gather resources for crafting.

So in any faction hub, like Darnassus or Stormwind, and often smaller quest hubs, there are profession trainers. So besides choosing a class to play as you can learn two main professions--gathering and/or crafting professions--on top of first aid, fishing, cooking, and, once you hit lvl 20, archaeology. Press K to open the profession menu in-game.

You can ask any guard where a specific profession trainer is in a faction hub and they will set a marker on your mini-map.

I like to pick professions suited to my class, if I make a Warrior, I tend to go with Mining and Blacksmithing. If I make a Hunter, Skinning and Leatherworking. Make a Mage, Tailoring and Enchanting. If you want to just make money, you can go double gather, pick two out of the three gathering profession, Mining, Herbalism and Skinning, gather those mats and sell them on the Auction House to make gold.

Double Gather is advisable when you're starting out but a crafting profession can also be something you can invest yourself into as well. You can make yourself armor (mostly just for transmogs--their appearance), weapons, bags, toys, pets and mounts once you level your profession up to a certain point. What you can make depends on the profession you choose.

so while you're waiting for your partner to be able to play you can roam the zones you've completed already and gather resources for crafting.
Ah, that's actually pretty dope. Will definitely get into this. Are the pets and mounts I'm able to create varied or is it limited to just a few?

Also I assume a lot of the armor/weapons I make will be better than whatever I find?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Also I assume a lot of the armor/weapons I make will be better than whatever I find?

Depends on the level of content. The gear can be great for filling in gaps for when you don't get drops. Do keep in mind though you'll have to craft a lot to keep up with your level because of how leveling it works. I'd go look up a leveling guide so it doesn't get too annoying, you could actually catch up real fast given you're only around lvl40.

Ah, that's actually pretty dope. Will definitely get into this. Are the pets and mounts I'm able to create varied or is it limited to just a few?

Mounts are dependent.

They added Blacksmith mounts(I believe?) this expansion. Otherwise, Tailoring and Engineering have the most craftable mounts. Leatherworking got some mounts this expansion, jewelcrafting got mounts 2 expansions ago(Gem Panthers).

Pets you can craft a few, but most of them you can capture in the world. Some quests award pets, some are dropped by bosses.

As for what you make, if you're levelling your first toon, yeah armor you make will tend to be better than what you find up to a certain point, but usually crafted armor is sort of a 'starter' armor in terms of gearing.

Found gear, especially from dungeons, is better than most of what you could craft from legacy content. You might be able to fill in some gaps here and there with crafting but crafted gear and weapons from legacy content is mostly for transmogs--unlocking their appearance to use as a cosmetic. Also there's not many worthwhile transmogs in Vanilla content. The plate armor looks old and low res but there are some cool weapons you can learn to craft.

Leveling up your professions and gathering resources is a prohibitive time sink. Most people would recommend you go double gather when starting out and learn a crafting profession later in content like Warlords of Draenor where there's skill up boosts to speed the process of leveling your profs up. But you're constrained by not being able to move forward, which is the only reason I'm recommending leveling a crafting profession. It might be something you find fun to invest yourself in.

You'll have to look up the profession to found out what you can make and when you can craft mounts, pets and such.

http://www.wowhead.com/profession-mounts-and-pets-guide

Sounds gimped. I always get 1500 gold bonus now. But I didn't know it did that if followers weren't leveled. That's dirty.
Do you have a particular set of class hall upgrades you're using in conjunction to getting that gold? My gold making has come to a dead stop and I'd like to get it moving again even if it isn't like how draenor was.

Do you have a particular set of class hall upgrades you're using in conjunction to getting that gold? My gold making has come to a dead stop and I'd like to get it moving again even if it isn't like how draenor was.

It depends on your followers ilvl. I think if the majority of your followers are at max ilvl, the gold missions will have bonuses with 1500 gold.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
It depends on your followers ilvl. I think if the majority of your followers are at max ilvl, the gold missions will have bonuses with 1500 gold.

Presumably, doesn't it also rely on how many max level characters you have on a realm, similar to the WoD 'fix'?

(I actually don't know, but personally, I don't recall ever seeing the 1k/1.5k gold, more like 6-800, though I admittedly think I have some benched champions at 760 - will have to test)

Normal Elisande's a weird fight. Really struggled with the first phase; as soon as we got everyone through it, oneshot the rest of the fight. Not having the echo mechanic makes a huge difference.

Yeah, after watching a video for it I was expecting the end of that fight to be a massive clusterfuck, but without the rings spawning on normal it was a cakewalk. Similarly I felt like Gul'dan's last phase was really easy compared to the second one.

Presumably, doesn't it also rely on how many max level characters you have on a realm, similar to the WoD 'fix'?

(I actually don't know, but personally, I don't recall ever seeing the 1k/1.5k gold, more like 6-800, though I admittedly think I have some benched champions at 760 - will have to test)

Would it? Hrm.

Cause at first the bonuses were 700ish, but when I maxed my dk(Or got close to it), I started getting 1500 bonuses. idk if it depends on your realms character.

Acidote

People clearly unaware it's an automated supply and demand system.

Yup, it's just that Blizzard has increased the demand with these new services, and the offer isn't going to increase much. As such token prices will stabilize at a much higher price than they did before.

For me it's a countdown clock. I have six tokens in my bags and as soon as they're spent and I run out of gold I'll just stop playing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man... if only I knew they were gonna release that new token yesterday, I would have spent all my gold back when it was 60k the day before... It's 95k now. :(

Tacitus_

Man... if only I knew they were gonna release that new token yesterday, I would have spent all my gold back when it was 60k the day before... It's 95k now. :(

eEP4TFw.png

T_T

I tried to buy one yesterday, when it was merely 130k, but they were all out T_T

v1perz53

I have 6 110 characters, two of which have fully maxed followers. My two with maxed followers always get 1500g bonus missions every time, and from looking at my Accountant history, my main made the same amount in the 2 weeks before I maxed my pally's followers and after. So anecdotally it doesn't appear that alts have any effect on the gold missions at least in the order hall, but it isn't entirely clear.

Tarazet

Another question as well, how many classes / specs have group wide effects or buffs? Only one I know of for sure is the one from Enhancement, Stormlash. Just curious what else is out there.

Holy Priest has Symbol of Hope, which gives the rest of the raid the ability to spam without worrying about mana for 12 seconds.

erawsd

If they had announced a day they wouldve been sold out immediately regardless.

I have 6 110 characters, two of which have fully maxed followers. My two with maxed followers always get 1500g bonus missions every time, and from looking at my Accountant history, my main made the same amount in the 2 weeks before I maxed my pally's followers and after. So anecdotally it doesn't appear that alts have any effect on the gold missions at least in the order hall, but it isn't entirely clear.
Is there a quick way to max out followers?

EU token is about to break through the 200k barrier for the first time ever.

I do find it funny that a token costs £15 but only gives you £9.99 BattleNet balance, though.

Magnus

The number of people who say they'll bail on the game as soon as they're outta tokens...wow...

Is the only reason you're playing that it's free? I easily derive $15 a month of enjoyment outta the game. That's like, lunch out somewhere, or a couple of drinks out. I've never found the sub price that prohibitive for all the joy the game gives me.

Magnus

Also, I don't know if just broke some kind of artificial hidden barrier or whatever, but I just started getting 1500 bonus gold on every gold mission as of yesterday. Bizarre. Right after I complained about it in this thread. Lol

Robin64

Also, I don't know if just broke some kind of artificial hidden barrier or whatever, but I just started getting 1500 bonus gold on every gold mission as of yesterday. Bizarre. Right after I complained about it in this thread. Lol

Sometimes you just need to complain on GAF and these things happen.

v1perz53

Is there a quick way to max out followers?

Nope -.-

Basically the only option is to keep chugging away doing the missions that reward the ilvl token things. If you play a class that has work orders for equipment, make sure to always do those, if you're a class that gets equipment randomly from missions just spam missions. Upgrade tokens can also drop from emissary caches but its pretty infrequent and random. The entire process of getting 850 followers is super random and can range from 2 weeks to over a month if you are unlucky.

How hard is it to win a Hereos of the Storm game? I don't like MOBA's, but now it seems to be giving away WoW mounts.

You don't have to win, just complete the games. Sadly, the fastest way to get the mount is to form a "lose as quickly as possible" group and spam out your 15 games.

The number of people who say they'll bail on the game as soon as they're outta tokens...wow...

Is the only reason you're playing that it's free? I easily derive $15 a month of enjoyment outta the game. That's like, lunch out somewhere, or a couple of drinks out. I've never found the sub price that prohibitive for all the joy the game gives me.

I guess it depends on your current life situation. I agree with you, this game is worth well over $15 a month to me (and I pay way less since I have a yearly sub). I have plenty of gold but never even considered paying for my sub with gold. But at the stage of my life I am at now, I am more limited by time than money. Honestly, the token change is a net positive for me in case I ever run out of gold, since I would sell a WoW token in a heartbeat if I needed gold for consumables that week. But at the same time, when I was in college and I had to decide which days per week I would skip lunch so that I could afford the cab fare when going out with friends on the weekend, I would've killed for a WoW token option. So yea, I guess it just depends on how you view things. Though someone with reasonable disposable income that is quitting because of token changes clearly couldn't have been getting much from the game in the first place.

Mupod

I have a friend that can't actually afford to play this game otherwise. He's been coasting on WoD garrison money, hell I bought him this expansion in exchange for helping me get set back up with gold and some other stuff (I had like 3k when I quit before).

I mean, I think it prices out a not insignificant portion of the population. From my perspective, Blizzard will probably be earning less money from me now, since I will likely no longer use tokens ($20/month essentially) to pay for my sub. The cost will become too prohibitive over time, especially as I find myself having less time to play, much less grind out gold this semester. But will they earn more money overall because people are buying more tokens to sell? Maybe.

Though when it comes to character services, I might be more inclined to use token value - spend gold on transfers/boosts/whatever rather than real money.

v1perz53

I mean, I think it prices out a not insignificant portion of the population. From my perspective, Blizzard will probably be earning less money from me now, since I will likely no longer use tokens ($20/month essentially) to pay for my sub. The cost will become too prohibitive over time, especially as I find myself having less time to play, much less grind out gold this semester. But will they earn more money overall because people are buying more tokens to sell? Maybe.

Though when it comes to character services, I might be more inclined to use token value - spend gold on transfers/boosts/whatever rather than real money.

Isn't the way that the token works that the price in gold is set based on the number of people buying them (for gold)? In that if less of them sell because they cost more gold, the gold value will fall until more people start buying them. Which basically means that the amount they sell and the amount blizzard makes from tokens will always end up around the same. Also meaning that the only reason they cost more now is because more people are buying them from the AH because they have more value now.

Jag

Anyone know if you can buy tokens without resubbing?

Trying not to get sucked back into another 30 days of playing because I actually have to get some RL stuff done.

v1perz53

Trying not to get sucked back into another 30 days of playing because I actually have to get some RL stuff done.

Not sure about now, with the changes to bnet balance, but the way it used to work is if you logged in from an account with a lapsed sub, it would prompt you to buy one and would aggregate gold from random characters to buy a token. So yes, you were able to buy a token without resubbing before, but I'm not sure after the change.

E: misunderstood, no idea if you could buy a token without having it automatically apply towards game time with an inactive account.

Lomax

Personally I only came back because I knew I could play for free. I have thousands of other games, and sometimes I actually regret playing WoW instead of those games. It isn't ever really about the "is it worth $15" it's just easier to stick with when it doesn't cost anything out of pocket. So I can understand reevaluating playing if that changes, especially if you think your play time will be dominated by gold farming. There's always other options for that $15 that may be more appealing. Of course, I also know people who continue to pay their subs even when they don't play, so it goes both ways.

No, you can't. Even if you have enough gold on a character under level 20 it won't let you buy it. And if you buy it from the main screen it automatically applies.

The price self regulates based on demand. I expect it to stabilize around 100k. Plus this initial spike of demand won't last forever. But we'll probably start seeing spikes whenever there are sales on other games or things like new hearthstone expansions.

Faiz

I'm five days out from game time running out and wasn't thinking about wow token price going up with changes being implemented. Dammit.

Top Bottom