• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

I went ahead and deleted my entire interface folder, and on the BC beta I'm playing with the default UI. it isn't pretty, but it feels good cause it's like learning to work with something so inefficient that it will make things easier when I do get a better UI when the expansion goes live.

border

Will it run on top of CTMod without any issues?

I'll probably try it with my warlock, but not the warrior. How can I set my profile so that the PVP mod won't load for other characters? Or does WOW do that automatically?

"Will it run on top of CTMod without any issues?"

There's a CTMod button around my minimap :p. (Yes, though you need to disable the bar mods).

And when you load WoW and click "Addons" there's a dropdown menu that says "Configure addons for:"

Just enable the addons for the character you want to use the UI and disable them for the characters you don't.

firex

so, after some more playing... finally I can say this legitly: orcs are without a doubt the best warlocks. stun resist (one of our biggest weaknesses) and blood fury adds to spell damage for warlocks now, so it's literally like having a racial ToEP, plus if you go felguard, more damage on his uber melee attacks. the only wasted racial is axe spec, and it's not like that really seriously matters. add in the fact that warlock armor just looks awesome on orcs and, well, finally their day has come. plus, when you beat down alliance without WoTF then they can't legitimately cry about it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Guess I'll be skipping that Blood Elf Warlock for an Orc Warlock. Always preferred them for some reason but the new Bloodrage is just too good.

firex

I also played my BE pally up to level 21 and did their equivalent of Verigan's Fist. It's just as hard, but the reward is weaker. That's one thing Blizzard really needs to fix. I thought maybe it would be easier since instead of getting a part from Deadmines, you get it from RFC, but the Deadmines part for alliance is off those goblins maybe halfway through it. For BEs you have to clear out most of RFC (which is definitely easy) and then summon a level 20 boss and kill him. That's tougher than just getting a drop that's practically 100% off the goblin woodcutter guys in Deadmines. The SFK and BFD parts are exactly the same as the alliance version... well, ok, there's an extra named guy you have to kill in SFK, but that's it.

Mute

Banned
border said:
Does anyone know how I can use WowTorrentEX to get the torrent file out of the background downloader program?

=====
USAGE
=====
1 - Place WoWTorrentEx.exe in your WoW directory.
2 - On patch day: log in to WoW, download the crappy Blizzard downloader and
let it launch. Hit the cancel button when it comes up.
3 - Run WoWTorrentEx. A console window should open and disappear, leaving
a .torrent file in the WoW directory.
4 - If you have a bittorent client your machine which has registered itself
for the .torrent file type, it will be launched automatically.

Personally I would just download it from www.whataboutpp.com instead. I get speeds of 400kbps~ on patch day.

I played around on the test server a bit today. First time I've been on WoW in months, and first time I've seen any of the new talents. Wow. I think it's safe to say that resto Shamans with decent gear are overpowered. Earthshield is insane. Warriors need to be MS to even have a chance, and even then they can easily be kited. Rogues are a joke against that. I watched a rogue in tier 2.5 with Pugio / Perditions backstab a shaman in Tier 3 4 times, and the Shaman ended up at 80% HP :lol Seriously insane. Cloak of Shadows is pretty godly as well. In fact, a rogue who is specced prep/CoS is pretty great in the arena. That's like an endless stream of cooldowns. I did the arena thing for a few hours, and it's fun, but they're almost over too fast, especially if the queue time is more than a minute or two, and get extremely repetitive. Still fun to hop in and do one or two though. The HWL gear looks pretty easy to obtain. Maybe a month of hardcore PvP. All the blue gear can be obtained in about 3 days :lol Whatever though.

firex

Personally I like that HWL gear is pretty easy to obtain... but a lot of the expansion stuff will be harder to get just because of the eye of the storm marks you need. Most of the level 70 weapons require 20 EotS marks to buy, along with 15k honor points. Still, it's good gear. Also it looks like pvp mounts require level 60 and 150 riding in the expansion, which kind of sucks, but oh well.

border

Mute said:
.Personally I would just download it from www.whataboutpp.com instead. I get speeds of 400kbps~ on patch day.
Those instructions don't work with the Background Downloader because it's "Background Downloader.exe" and WowTorrent looks for files that fall under the name format of "Wow-*-downloader.exe".

Since all it's doing is downloading pre-patch data, I can't find the patch information on a 3rd party site (as far as I can tell).

firex

I just cancel the background downloader. I know it doesn't really help with your problem, but I can't get it to work either and WowTorrentEx doesn't work, so I just let it come out when they release a regular patch.

firex

ok, after playing around more with BEs (though now that I'm done with the new zones, I'm not bothering to play mine anymore) I think I can safely rate their usefulness in each class as follows:
1) Paladin - basically every single racial helps Paladins aside from the +10 enchanting racial, which helps if you decide to be an enchanter. Mana tap can be used to pull on mobs with mana, arcane torrent gives an interrupt (because really, 2 seconds of silence isn't much at all most of the time) and can also provide some quick mana. I think Mana Tap is bugged and doesn't give mana to the user, because Blizz's SCT ripoff shows a mana gain whenever I use mana tap, but I don't actually gain mana. It's probably more likely that blizz's SCT ripoff is reporting it incorrectly though, cause it's +71 mana at level 21, and it's on a 30 second cooldown... even with over 1k mana that's a good instant boost to mana and you'd gain more than an equivalent level mana pot using it 4 times vs 1 mana pot (same cooldown in total time). Still, if you go enchanting every single racial is golden for a paladin, and if you don't, then 3/4 of them are awesome.
2) Rogue - Basically the same as Paladins, just that arcane torrent isn't as useful due to all their interrupts.
3) Priest - Mana tap's buff lasts 10 minutes and it has a 30 yard casting range, so in a group you could easily build up 3 charges of it and then use arcane torrent when you need some quick mana. That's probably not so useful at the high end with all of the MP/5 gear and divine meditation, but still. Plus arcane torrent gives non-shadow BEs a silence (and shadow ones get a second silence), even if it's only 2 seconds, and the mana loss on your target from mana tap can help in pve or pvp.
4) Mages - Similar to priest, but only ranked lower because they get counterspell so they have an interrupt by default, and mana gems so the mana returned isn't quite as necessary. Still, they actually seriously benefit from the mana gained.
5) Hunters - Mana tap is sort of ok, but really they won't need it much. Arcane torrent is kind of redundant for a class that needs to be at range, however it's not bad in duels or pvp, and even with no target active you can use arcane torrent to regen mana. But compare it to going 41 marksman, and quite frankly, you're better off being any other hunter race.
6) Warlock - Compared to orcs and undead, BE warlocks just flat out suck. They're pretty, but mana tap/arcane torrent is ONLY useful for a silence, and warlocks tear the shit out of other casters already so that's kind of pointless. The mana gain is good (since free mana is free mana), but you get lifetap at like level 6, and drain mana at 26. So it's not nearly as important for a lock as it is any other BE mana class.

Now, I'm just rating them by racials, but seriously, BE melee are awesome, BE mages/priests are good, BE pet classes are mediocre.

BTW, BE priests apparently get touch of weakness at level 10, and Consume Magic at 20. ToW is hopefully just a placeholder, Consume Magic is interesting but weird. It scales as you level and it consumes a buff to restore mana. So I guess for a BE priest, you can consume inner fire to regain mana, since it restores more mana than it costs to cast inner fire. I really hope they get a unique level 10 racial spell.

Draenei priests get some unique spell at 10 (I don't know what, but I don't think it's the Thott datamined level 10 racial) and fear ward at 20. I really wish BEs got fear ward so horde and alliance would be totally balanced in terms of pve content, but oh well.

And speaking of Draenei, I've got to say that their mount is pretty lame. Well, ok, it doesn't completely blow or anything (nothing is blander than horses, or more retarded than nightsabers), but the Elekk is like the kodo's retarded cousin. It doesn't look too bad sitting still, but it animates really dumbly. I know it's an elephant knockoff, but it looks clumsy, and not in a cute/funny way. It just looks half-assed. Then again what little I've seen of the Draenei zones seems half-assed too. Not that I personally mind; it's good that Blizzard actually concentrates on horde content for once.

firex said:
BTW, BE priests apparently get touch of weakness at level 10, and Consume Magic at 20. ToW is hopefully just a placeholder, Consume Magic is interesting but weird. It scales as you level and it consumes a buff to restore mana. So I guess for a BE priest, you can consume inner fire to regain mana, since it restores more mana than it costs to cast inner fire. I really hope they get a unique level 10 racial spell.

Draenei priests get some unique spell at 10 (I don't know what, but I don't think it's the Thott datamined level 10 racial) and fear ward at 20. I really wish BEs got fear ward so horde and alliance would be totally balanced in terms of pve content, but oh well.

ToW to be replaced by Feedback!@!

And BEs getting Fear Ward would just piss off every single priest on the horde side already. Should give it to everyone and make the stupid dwarf priests something fitting. Like a 5 minute +5 mining buff.

John_B

MrPing1000 said:
look at his gear, 2 swords off kel' crazeeeee
Ye, but look at the buffs.

Blizz should probably rework the fury warrior a bit. Nerf the rage generation, throw in some aggro reducing control. They are like rogues at vael, almost.

Mute

Banned
John_B said:
Ye, but look at the buffs.

Blizz should probably rework the fury warrior a bit. Nerf the rage generation, throw in some aggro reducing control. They are like rogues at vael, almost.

Patch 2.0.1 said:
Warriors

- Rage generation from dealing damage has been normalized.
- All Rage awards are averaged with our expected rage per swing (adjusted for weapon speed).
??

firex

Son of Godzilla said:
ToW to be replaced by Feedback!@!

And BEs getting Fear Ward would just piss off every single priest on the horde side already. Should give it to everyone and make the stupid dwarf priests something fitting. Like a 5 minute +5 mining buff.
yeah, true. I just want some way for horde to have fear ward.

I think I can also safely state it as fact that anyone who complains about BE racials in pvp is a crybaby. WotF, War Stomp, and now Blood Fury are way better as far as actives go.

e: jesus christ, I'm going felguard in the expansion. I didn't realize he's basically voidwalker + succubus.

Ramirez

So I haven't been readin much on this game anymore,is this b/g downloader for a patch Tuesday that will implement the new talents and arenas and all that?

Tamanon

Banned
Ramirez said:
So I haven't been readin much on this game anymore,is this b/g downloader for a patch Tuesday that will implement the new talents and arenas and all that?

Not necessarily going to be on Tuesday, but yeah, this is front-loading the patch for when they decide to go live.

border

I've heard that BC has 20 slot bags in it....how hard is it to get them?

I'm considering buying some Argent Dawn crap, but I'm not sure whether I should get the Tanking ring or the 18-slot bag. I know that both will be outdated once BC arrives, but I'd like to know which will last me longer. Maybe I should save up for the epic items instead?

Oh yea, that reminds me. Could you clarify what's going on with the bag slots? The banks getting a whole new row, okay simple enough. But then everyone is getting another character bag slot? I remember something about that I think.

firex

the bank has 4 more slots for items, and an additional space for a bag.

As far as tailored stuff... I really have no idea how hard it is to get the 20 slot bags, but I know there are really easy 16 slotters (netherweave bags) and some higher-up 18 slot bag that also involves netherweave.

And netherweave is easy to get, I've already got well over a stack of it. Most mobs I kill in outland drop netherweave instead of runecloth, which actually sucks for building up my FA.

e: I'd get the 18 slot AD bag, no question, because it's not like the 18 slot pattern from tailoring comes at 305 skill or something. Just search thottbot's beta section and you can get the info for nearly all the bag recipes.

border

Well I gotta imagine that the auction house will be flooded with 18 slot bags, whereas a tank ring that's better than the AD one will be a bit harder to find.

On the other hand, I'll probably get more pre-BC use out of an 18 slot bag than I would a tank ring, since I really don't run instances much anymore.

firex

there are a load of tank rings from quests and jewelcrafting right now. I've gotten blues/greens from quests in outland that are better than tier 2 armor and comparable to nef epics (like the staff I'm using right now on my warlock). Seriously, gear is pretty much unimportant, because the only way you're NOT going to replace stuff by questing/doing some of the early instances like hellfire citadel ramparts is if you have tier 2.5 or tier 3.

I got my first non-weapon epic pieces tonight along with an Epic Alterac Valley ram. :D

WoWScrnShot_112506_012406.jpg

Then hit ghostwolf and SPRINT away! :lol

New guild policy: Ossirian, Jindo, Bloodlord, and Hakkar die every 3 days except one bad stretch were our 40 man raids get in the way and only one or the other get done. Good since the new guys get good gear, and it teaches them self-reliance since fewer of us vets do these, or are in as alts. Win-Win. :)

fallout

SatelliteOfLove said:
Then hit ghostwolf and SPRINT away! :lol
Heh, actually, I ganked a flagged dueler, then got rolled by the other 5 or so alliance there. Still, fun times. I think they enjoyed it. :D

firex

so, with everyone calling resto the new hotness, I respecced my shaman to resto too. I can see where they're coming from since you're practically unkillable with it. I also did a little bit of Hellfire Citadel. I cleared the Ramparts and Blood Furnace at level 60 in about 3 hours total. Pretty good instances, very short and sweet, but that also means a bit less loot. Still, they weren't hard at all and earth shield is crazy good on a melee class like a warrior or rogue.

John_B

I was so lucky today, I got both Drake Fang Talisman and Bloodfang Chest. I topped at 560 dps at Ebonroc with only Battle Shout, WF + Strength totem and a mongoose pot. I'm sure I can improve that tons.

kaden.26.11.06.jpg

Health: 3973
AP: 975
Crit: 30.86%
Hit: 16.2%
Wielding: Perdition's Blade and Core Hound Tooth
Build: 15/31/5

Mute

Banned
:lol I just ran a 10 shaman WSG on the test server. 4 HWL's and a bunch in Tier 1-2.5 :lol It was pretty hilarious seeing 10 ghostwolfs running across the field in the beginning, and all the Alliance just sort of stopped staring.

firex

Did Ramparts again, this time on my warlock (also hit 62) and even with a crappy group like I had (good group in theory, but crappy players for the most part) it's easily doable in an hour. You also get Thrallmar rep for it, which is nice. Ironically I think if you want to maximize your Thrallmar rep, you should just do Ramparts until you hit honored from the kills, and THEN go do all the quests. Oh well. There's also enough BE quests in the BE town in the zone to hit friendly with them, at least if the current rep grind stays in.

Boomer

John_B said:
I was so lucky today, I got both Drake Fang Talisman and Bloodfang Chest. I topped at 560 dps at Ebonroc with only Battle Shout, WF + Strength totem and a mongoose pot. I'm sure I can improve that tons.

kaden.26.11.06.jpg

Health: 3973
AP: 975
Crit: 30.86%
Hit: 16.2%
Wielding: Perdition's Blade and Core Hound Tooth
Build: 15/31/5

I do more than that on Patchwerk...as a warlock

John_B

Boomer said:
I do more than that on Patchwerk...as a warlock
...but you still get eaten by the rogues, and those rogues got better unbuffed stats than me buffed.

I will try to bring some potions and stuff next week and make an effort. I should be able to hit 650.

firex

I'm so glad the expansion makes the game easier, quicker, and less about retarded raiding. I just hope Blizzard doesn't let that get away from them again and start devoting more time to raid instances. It's nice to play a 5 man and not expect to be bitched at for not being perfect, to be able to make mistakes, and yet to also be able to really shine with great skills/knowledge of your class.

Also, affliction warlocks will probably get nerfed, at least I'd imagine they would. Here's my simple suggestion for warlocks going into the expansion once it goes live:
If you have 600ish or so in +damage gear, go affliction (though what I would do personally is go 40 affliction/11 destruction so you can tap mobs with shadowburn if necessary); if you don't, go demonology. Don't bother with destruction until later on. I think it won't really shine until you're 70 and have a ton of +damage gear and spell crit/hit rating. Affliction warlocks in the expansion honestly don't use shadowbolt unless they proc nightfall - it's just not good dps compared to 3 dots + drain life with the new soul siphon talent. Demonology warlocks (like what I went with) are pretty awesome, but I think the best spec for pure dps/soloing doesn't involve any improved pet talents.

Actually I'll just list what I got right now: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent-bc=AZbxczIizzxstxx0k with this, my imp provides a very hefty bonus to spell damage in groups, plus the reduced threat, and when I solo I just use the felguard. The felguard's only weakness is like the video a few pages back says - it can wind up taking a lot of damage. That's more because it'll easily hold aggro on 2 mobs than its armor/HP - it's got the second best HP and I think second or third best mana of all the lock pets, along with essentially the same armor as the VW. Oh, and the point in mana feed >>>>>>>> demonic resilience. Giving your pet 1/3 of your lifetap/drain mana is great for the felguard and imp. The great thing about the felguard is he's finally a pet that's all-around useful for warlocks - great soloing (by far the soloer's pet), great in groups (his extra damage is significant, and on weaker adds he can tank them as good as a hunter pet can) and great in pvp (intercept ftw).

The only real problem I find with going affliction is deciding what other tree to spec in. Improved shadowbolt is really good if you get a crit from nightfall, but demonology adds a lot passively with extra HP/mana and extra int for the imp so you can steal more from him with dark pact. Demonic Aegis is also nice, but moreso when you hit 62 and get Fel Armor.

Oh, and just talking about abilities.... Master Healthstone is awesome. I'm not 68 yet (and I don't think I'll put the effort into getting there during beta) but it's 2080 hp without improved healthstone. So add in imp. HS and you're looking at a 2500ish healthstone.

firex said:
The only real problem I find with going affliction is deciding what other tree to spec in. Improved shadowbolt is really good if you get a crit from nightfall, but demonology adds a lot passively with extra HP/mana and extra int for the imp so you can steal more from him with dark pact. Demonic Aegis is also nice, but moreso when you hit 62 and get Fel Armor.

Screw secondary. My plan is to go 53/8/0, grabbing HS and Imp so I can pretend to be group oriented or whatever the ****. Shadowburn is a crutch!

mollipen

I have a question... if I'd made my desktop image a screenshot from WoW, does that officially make me a WoW dork? What if it is more for the "coolness" of the shot and not because I need to see my character 24 hours a day? Can I claim that as an exemption?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
shidoshi said:
I have a question... if I'd made my desktop image a screenshot from WoW, does that officially make me a WoW dork? What if it is more for the "coolness" of the shot and not because I need to see my character 24 hours a day? Can I claim that as an exemption?
Nothing wrong with it. Some screenies I've taken now and then interest my girlfriend so she slaps them up onto the desktop depending on her mood.

Here are a few she's shoved up in the past (resized to be forum friendly).

wallpaper1ps8.jpg

wallpaper2vw0.jpg

wallpaper3co1.jpg

wallpaper4vd0.jpg

Boomer

John_B said:
...but you still get eaten by the rogues, and those rogues got better unbuffed stats than me buffed.

I will try to bring some potions and stuff next week and make an effort. I should be able to hit 650.

:lol true. I always beat at least 1 rogue and a couple mages though :D

Ramirez

That Thunder Bluff shot is awesome, the entire Tauren area and Tauren in general are one of the best races ever created in any game,IMO. Sucks that the town isn't really ideal for a hub town like Org/IF,I loathe those 2 cities :p

fallout

Since we're posting screenshots, here are a couple of my more recent ones that I like. Click on them for the full screen version.

firex

Here's some pics I took, but I'm honestly not much of a screenshotter.
zabrajinzangarmarsh.jpg

Zabra'jin, the bigger horde town in Zangarmarsh.
bloodfurnaceentrance.jpg

The stairs near the start of the Hellfire Blood Furnace. I just liked the huge climb before getting into the actual area (pic is taken about halfway up the stairs).
bloodfurnacelabs.jpg

The "lab" section (at least that's what I'll call it for now) near the end. Kind of cool simply because it goes high-tech, but in a gnomish/goblin engineering way.
dragonhawk1.jpg

Shot 1 of a Dragonhawk mob in Eversong (trying to get a pic of it for a friend, but the damn things don't stop moving).
dragonhawk2.jpg

Dragonhawk, take 2.
dragonhawk3.jpg

Dragonhawk, take 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom