• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Frost Lotus prices don't plummet. I'm sitting on about 52,000 gold right now, without much to do with it, and decided to take a risk by investing in some frozen orbs. picked up 210 of them for 3200g. I'm thinking even if prices fall to 30g I can still double my investment.

border

Problem is that it will take forever to sell 210 Frost Lotuses, and after the first couple days of the patch the pricing between Lotuses and Frozen Orbs will reach parity. I doubt that you will lose money, but I doubt you'll double your investment either since they are also doubling the droprate on Frost Lotus.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
border said:
Look at how many class spells and active abilities have now become passive talents:

Abomination's Might: This effect is now passive instead of being a proc on certain strikes.

Improved Icy Talons: This effect is now passive instead of being a proc.

Arcane Empowerment: This effect is now passive instead of being a proc off of critical strikes.

Elemental Oath: This ability is now always on as a passive aura.

Unleashed Rage: This ability is now always on as a passive aura.

Rampage: This effect is now passive instead of being a proc from critical strikes.

I think it's pretty obvious that all of these are going completely disappear from talent trees come Cataclysm. Maybe I don't understand exactly how it's going to work, but it looks like these are pretty huge buffs for everyone in a group. Bring a fury warrior and you get 5% crit ALL THE TIME. Bring a Blood DK and get 10% attack power ALL THE TIME. Bring a Frost DK and get 20% melee Haste ALL THE TIME. Of course even when these abilities were a proc they saw a lot of uptime, but still nice to see that they will be constant buffs.
The reason is, they are mostly duplicative of other buffs that are just passive auras or Shaman Totems.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Deserter debuff given to players who leave a dungeon prematurely when queuing via the Random Dungeon option has been increased to 30 minutes, up from 15 minutes. The cooldown for using the Random Dungeon option remains 15 minutes.

This should be renamed the "intentionally be a douchebag until you get votekicked" feature, because that's what people will start doing in bad groups.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Cool. Confirmation that Gnomeregan will be retaken; Gnomes get their own city which means Ironforge is not longer cluttered by little shitheads, and that shitty instance gets taken out. Two birds with one stone.

Interesting to see what happens to the Trolls though. I hope Blizzard don't go the lazy way out and simply buff up Sen'jin Village/retake Echo Isles.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Maybe when Azeroth gets torn up, it'll unearth an ancient troll city that they'll use. It would give the trolls a home town, and a bit of a lead in for the archeology skill that is coming in Cataclysm.

speedpop said:
Cool. Confirmation that Gnomeregan will be retaken; Gnomes get their own city which means Ironforge is not longer cluttered by little shitheads, and that shitty instance gets taken out. Two birds with one stone.

Interesting to see what happens to the Trolls though. I hope Blizzard don't go the lazy way out and simply buff up Sen'jin Village/retake Echo Isles.

Isn't Ironforge getting destroyed by the Cataclysm though? I would find it kind of silly to have Ironforge, Stormwind, and Gnomer all right next to each other.

lordmrw

I see they made some changes to Subtlety, which i guess is nice. Subtlet specs problem is energy regeneration, and buffing hemorrhage wouldn't hurt either. As it is, the dagger buff just brings hemorrhage in line with what you would do with a slow mainhand.

border

speedpop said:

It says you only re-take "the surface of Gnomeregan". The entire instance will probably stay right where it is.....though hopefully they find a way to make it less of a neverending slog. I'm curious if Blizzard is going to bother re-doing the old dungeons at all, since they haven't talked about that much. Going into Marudon for the Lunar Festival quest remined me what a nightmare craphole it still is.

Doomsday Messenger - Wear a large board emblazoned with a message about the impending end of the world.

This sounds like fun!

border said:
It says you only re-take "the surface of Gnomeregan". The entire instance will probably stay right where it is.....though hopefully they find a way to make it less of a neverending slog. I'm curious if Blizzard is going to bother re-doing the old dungeons at all, since they haven't talked about that much. Going into Marudon for the Lunar Festival quest remined me what a nightmare craphole it still is.

Doomsday Messenger - Wear a large board emblazoned with a message about the impending end of the world.

This sounds like fun!

They'll probably go through every dungeon again and reitemize the loot to make it more appropriate.

border

The problem with the old dungeons isn't the loot, it's that they are gigantic caverns filled with useless trash and endless walking around. They need to change the actual geography of the dungeons, but I don't think it will be a priority.

Retro

funkmastergeneral said:
Isn't Ironforge getting destroyed by the Cataclysm though? I would find it kind of silly to have Ironforge, Stormwind, and Gnomer all right next to each other.

I've always said that Gnomer, being as mechanical as it is, should itself be a huge machine capable of compressing itself and traveling around, like Figaro from FF6. Have it dig underground through the mountains and resurface near Tanaris to give the Alliance a capitol in South Kalimdor. They don't have anything on the continent except in the extreme North, whereas the Horde has Thunder Bluff.

Then, have the trolls retake an island off Stranglethorn Vale, giving the Horde a capitol in South Eastern Kingdoms. They don't have anything on the continent except in the extreme North, whereas the alliance has Stormwind.

I say, make it like the Technodrome. That wins points all around.

border said:
The problem with the old dungeons isn't the loot, it's that they are gigantic caverns filled with useless trash and endless walking around. They need to change the actual geography of the dungeons, but I don't think it will be a priority.

They should add new bosses to every old world dungeon, and tie it to Archeology. Each dungeon has a new closed off section that you need an Archeology-only key to unlock. Some dungeons have large wings, others have just new rooms. But something new needs to be added to bring them more in line with the pacing of current dungeons.

Also, adding more quests inside the dungeons themselves, instead of having to hunt all over the old world, would go a long way towards streamlining the experience.

arhra

Angry Grimace said:
The reason is, they are mostly duplicative of other buffs that are just passive auras or Shaman Totems.
That, and they're ludicrously spammy, especially in larger raids. You get a combat log message for every person in range (which is going to be the entire raid in most encounters) every single time any of those abilities proc (which is a LOT, especially ones like Rampage for fury warriors). That's going to be a huge amount of client/server communication that just won't have to happen any more, which should hopefully reduce the stress on the servers and reduce lag for everyone.

notworksafe

speedpop said:

Some of the spells that have been dug out make me think that the Echo Isles will be retaken at the same time as Gnomer.

# Boon of the Loa - For the Darkspear! / 80 yd range, Instant
# Attune - Attune the captured frog to Vanira's sight at Vanira's Sentry Totem. / 10 yd range, 1 sec cast
# Frogs Away! - Toss one of Vanira's attuned frogs at one of the illuminated locations on the Echo Isles. Only works when riding a bat. / 100 yd range, Instant
# Vol'jin's War Drums - Play Vol'jin's War Drums to recruit Troll Citizens to the cause of retaking the / 10 yd range, 1 sec cast

That along with the new Taxi Nodes and Vol'jin's new model pretty much make it a lock.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Vigilant Walrus said:
Ain't updating the animations for Races and Creatures, some of the most time consuming things they can do? Maybe that's why it's taking so long with those dances?

Is it the Male Human model, you think is bad?

Yea the Human male, the female ernt too bad, saying that Human males ernt too bad with a beard, as long as they dont have the Goku hair.

I just think it would be nice if blizzard improved the texture quality of the old races, as they are going to look very dated compared to Wogen/Goblin.

J-Rzez

Deacan said:
Yea the Human male, the female ernt too bad, saying that Human males ernt too bad with a beard, as long as they dont have the Goku hair.

I just think it would be nice if blizzard improved the texture quality of the old races, as they are going to look very dated compared to Wogen/Goblin.

I've never seen a good high res picture of the goblins and wogens, but aren't they just based off of models that have been there since vanilla? I mean, goblins have their mining/crafting animations along with jumping in the game. Actually, their dance is in there too no, considering the goblin pirate halloween dance thing. I think they have to revamp all the models at this point of the game.

border said:
What are those?
Console commands that allow you to teleport around the world. Man, if there was one reason to go on the PTR, this is it.

The thing about those commands is that they allow you to go onto different maps. Emerald Dream (without model editing), test maps, and heaps of other things, all without having to use exploits or shady things.

I believe this also happened during the 2.1.x patches, if I remember correctly.

Angry Grimace

border said:
Can you go to the fabled "GM Island"? If such a thing actually exists...
No, but you used to be able to with bugs, but you get banned if you go there

border

Cool.....anywhere I can get a crash course on teleporting across the test realm?

I wouldn't mind seeing some off-limits areas.

arhra

J-Rzez said:
I've never seen a good high res picture of the goblins and wogens, but aren't they just based off of models that have been there since vanilla? I mean, goblins have their mining/crafting animations along with jumping in the game. Actually, their dance is in there too no, considering the goblin pirate halloween dance thing. I think they have to revamp all the models at this point of the game.
They're creating completely new models for player goblins/worgen. The existing models are nowhere near the quality needed for a player race - the goblins in particular haven't been updated since the original alpha or something; they still use the dwarf skeleton and animations for most things. And the existing worgen models aren't set up for things like armor or weapons, in addition to being pretty terrible quality-wise.

Angry Grimace said:
No, but you used to be able to with bugs, but you get banned if you go there
It should be possible with worldport, just that the co-ordinates are going to be quite large numerically.

I'll look up some interesting commands that you can use on the PTR anyway.

border

Oh shit, the GM Island really exists? I always thought it was a mixture of fraud, rumor, and myth. If you have GM powers I don't really understand why you would need to have a "physical" place to meet up with other GMs......you can generate your own items if you need them, and create your own exclusive chat channel if you need to collaborate with other GMs. It doesn't make any sense that they would need to have a place in Azeroth to congregate.

border said:
Oh shit, the GM Island really exists? I always thought it was a mixture of fraud, rumor, and myth. If you have GM powers I don't really understand why you would need to have a "physical" place to meet up with other GMs......you can generate your own items if you need them, and create your own exclusive chat channel if you need to collaborate with other GMs. It doesn't make any sense that they would need to have a place in Azeroth to congregate.
worldport 1 16238.29, 16219.044 9.600 should take you to GM Island.

Some other interesting things (copied from the internet:
Old Ironforge: worldport 0 -4821 -977 465
Emerald Dream: worldport 169 3330 3080 26 (try 69 with those same last 3 numbers if it doesn't work, I've heard 69 is the Emerald Dream map, not 169)
Azshara Crater (unreleased BG): worldport 37 58 23 266
Hyjal: worldport 1 4674.88 -3638.37 965.264 (you'll get No Mans Land and get ported out anyway, but try it if you want)
Try worldport 469 0 0 0, seems to be development island, some interesting things there from what I've seen of minimap files and videos on the internet
Old Outlands (is actually part of Deadmines outside the main map): worldport 36 -1507 617 -0

No idea what these are, try them if you want. Add 0 0 0 on the end when using world port, those are just map IDs and names.
582 Transport176244
584 Transport176231
586 Transport181645
587 Transport177233
588 Transport176310
589 Transport175080
590 Transport176495
591 Transport164871
593 Transport20808

There's some more things. Isn't too hard to google and I'll link a few Noggaholic videos for you guys to watch, they're really interesting in showing lots of things like this.

EDIT: http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...4eYwgP60N39Cg&q=Exploration+the+Movie&view=3#

and

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7608672074631385072&ei=t8WAS9i3NYHMwgP7lvDpCA&q=Noggaholic#

are easily the best 2 Noggaholic movies. They're long, but show off lots of really cool stuff from pre-TBC. They share some of the same content, but each has their unique little things that make them worth watching.

notworksafe

border said:

Early on in the game, GMs had to be logged into a server to chat with players. GM Island was just a place for them to be logged in and have no one see them. Now there's an out of game chat that they use though.

Angry Grimace

notworksafe said:
Early on in the game, GMs had to be logged into a server to chat with players. GM Island was just a place for them to be logged in and have no one see them. Now there's an out of game chat that they use though.
They must crack up when they get really angry players bitching about loot

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
notworksafe said:
Some of the spells that have been dug out make me think that the Echo Isles will be retaken at the same time as Gnomer.

That along with the new Taxi Nodes and Vol'jin's new model pretty much make it a lock.
Yeah figured as much when I took a glance through those earlier before. Oh well. Benefit for that being that Orc/Troll newbies won't have to swim to-and-fro from that cursed island for weak quests.

Xabora said:
oh wow, looks like port and worldport is active on the PTR PVE Realm. D:
Oh. my. god.

Kweh said:
Do you think there is any chance of Blizzard adding the new race/class combo's before Cataclysm ships?

The new race combos might be something they would consider but I think it's highly unlikely as they want you to experience the new Azeroth while leveling these characters.

Tamanon

Banned
Kweh said:
Do you think there is any chance of Blizzard adding the new race/class combo's before Cataclysm ships?

I assume they will a few weeks before Cataclysm hits when they drop 4.0. Just not the Goblins/Worgen of course.

Rapstah

Are hunters supposed to expect healers to heal their pets? I had one rage at me for his/her pet repeatedly dying, but it's not my fault an owl is aggroing everything.

Tamanon

Banned
Rapstah said:
Are hunters supposed to expect healers to heal their pets? I had one rage at me for his/her pet repeatedly dying, but it's not my fault an owl is aggroing everything.

Hunters should only expect their pets to be healed in a raid which will come naturally anyways, anywhere else it's their business. Besides with the AOE damage changes, pets shouldn't be getting hit much at all.

Angry Grimace

HarryDemeanor said:
Considering Worgen and Goblin are one of the main bullet points for buying the expansion, they would never release them to people who didn't buy it yet. Now the new race combos might be something they would consider but I think it's highly unlikely as they want you to experience the new Azeroth while leveling these characters.
Um, they'll do it the exact same way they did Burning Crusade. You can see them, you just can't select them on the create character screen.

Here's a question: Are DK tanks SUPPOSED to be squishy? I had a DK tank in HoR, and I couldn't heal him (Disc Priest) even with spam heals. He just kept doing further and further down no matter what I did, even when nuked with Penanace, PW:S and hasted Gheals. It was insane; and his GS was like 5700. I couldn't figure it out.

Tamanon

Banned
Death Knights don't have block, so they don't have nearly as smooth a curve when being healed as other tanks do. Especially if they're stam stacked instead of avoidance stacked.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
Death Knights don't have block, so they don't have nearly as smooth a curve when being healed as other tanks do. Especially if they're stam stacked instead of avoidance stacked.
Yeah, but my heals were 2800 heals per second, plus guessed absorbs over 1300, and he died faster than I could even put heals out. It just blew my mind, because I've healed every other kind of tank successfully (even warriors)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
He was probably getting hit from behind or didn't have the good tanking talents, remind me of something...

I had a DK yesterday doing H UP. He was our tank. He had a tank set. BUT a dps build. Meaning he didn't had the talents to improve dodge, armor or reduce damage. He even said "i hate tanking, im DPS, i only queue tank for fast instance"

...It felt like i was healing someone who wasnt even wearing a tank set.

Needless to say, he was on my ignore list before the run was over.

We one shotted Putricide a couple nights ago. The previous week the guild got him to 0.2 before wiping which must have been fucking painful (I wasn't there qq). Easy as hell.

Tamanon

Banned
I haven't looked at the class pages on worldofwarcraft.com for a while, and while browsing through I noticed something funny.

Every class has a strength/weakness section and an area with some generic challenges of the class. The only one for the Death Knight reads.

Challenges
Leveling up to 80

:lol

zam

border said:

PTgFemKIg.jpg

Look at the name of the zone in the top right :p
Got ported there by a careless GM after Gunship bugged first week of ICC and wouldn't fly all the way up so we couldn't get the loot. You get an instant Freeze debuff so you can't move or do anything once you get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom