• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
HarryDemeanor said:
I just turned 80 on my Paladin two days ago and have been trying to figure out what a good starting raid set is. I was able to get a Titansteel Destroyer crafted for me so far, not sure if I should get those two titansteel dps plate pieces made as well.

This is my character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Borean+Tundra&cn=Verigan
Ouch. Titansteel Destroyer and Titansteel plate pieces are massive wastes of Titansteel.

The crafted 245 pieces use about the same amount of Titansteel, and you could replace Titansteel Destroyer by running REGULAR pit of Saron and getting Garfrost's Hammer.

Just run ToC-5 and the ICC 5 dungeons and buy badge gear. Getting things crafted that are below the 245 ToC-25 patterns is wasting Titansteel.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Puncture said:
Nice, got my t10 gloves out of VOA last week, it filled my four slots too but I cant use them until I get one more token for a 264 slot. The hunter 2pc tier 9 is/was amazing, and its hard to replace. Also my guild got their ninth Death Bringers Will tonight and it went to me, seeing as Im the newest person to the guild I had to wait until all others who wanted it main and offspec before I could snag it. But Ive cleared the intro period now so its all good. Still amazing though that so many trinkets drop for us. Every week since I joined and weeks prior to that also.

Theres always bitching in vent when we open the box and theres another one there. I hope it stops now, all mains and offspecs have it. Its crazy.
Our Hunter refuses to drop T9 2 set. Then again, he refused to TAKE Whispering Fanged Skull for some reason. He's not bad, just weird.

J-Rzez said:
Finally, finally got that stupid Saronite cloak. Took forever. We got a lot of different loots than normal to drop for us, which was odd.

Anyways, now to decide what to blow my 210 frost emblems on. Two pieces of T10 to get my 4pc bonus, or hang onto them a little longer incase I get the other blood I need, so I'd blow them on saronites. I hate holding back my toon, as I'd be able to do better in the raids with better gear, but that ax would probably be a bigger dps net than 2 or 3 pcs of frost emblem gear.
If you're just seeing Saronite Gargoyle Cloak for the first time now, and haven't gotten a Blade of Culling, you have the worst drops in the world. :lol

I'm guessing dropping my Bone-Drake boots and picking up the Hellfrozen Bonegrinders is how I'll be dropping Expertise.

Bisnic said:
Yeah, if you want to raid with a plate class, you should be tanking or healing. If you hate both roles, i'm sorry, but you won't raid very much unless you're lucky and get in a pug raid that needs melee dps, and those are really rare...

Then I guess I wasted my time leveling this guy up.

Angry Grimace said:
Ouch. Titansteel Destroyer and Titansteel plate pieces are massive wastes of Titansteel.

The crafted 245 pieces use about the same amount of Titansteel, and you could replace Titansteel Destroyer by running REGULAR pit of Saron and getting Garfrost's Hammer.

Just run ToC-5 and the ICC 5 dungeons and buy badge gear. Getting things crafted that are below the 245 ToC-25 patterns is wasting Titansteel.

Alright, I'll try and find some runs for those dungeons.

Belfast

Bisnic said:
Yeah, if you want to raid with a plate class, you should be tanking or healing. If you hate both roles, i'm sorry, but you won't raid very much unless you're lucky and get in a pug raid that needs melee dps, and those are really rare...

Wut?

Fularu

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Anyone see this?

So blizzard made 1.1 million revenue from a single pet alone. Wow.

The funds went to a charity. Most people bought it for that reason alone (myself included)

Entropia

No One Remembers
PTR is fixin' to go up over in Europe soon. Their forums and what not are up. The PTR isn't live and there are currently no patch notes.

mclem

Yaweee said:
Now that's interesting. What is it for?

I wonder if it's something to do with the SC2 beta; perhaps they're wanting to test the between-game communications? That would explain the timing, but not the content; few people would go onto the PTR just for that.

yacobod

Banned
Bisnic said:

depends on your server man, if you are on a high pop server, its never hard to find your way into a pug raid provided your gear is up to snuff

Fularu said:
The funds went to a charity. Most people bought it for that reason alone (myself included)

No, Blizzard made $2.2 million dollars off the sales of that pet. They then gave half to charity and kept the other $1.1 million. That's what he was saying.

keeblerdrow said:
No, Blizzard made $2.2 million dollars off the sales of that pet. They then gave half to charity and kept the other $1.1 million. That's what he was saying.

Exactly what I meant. The profit on selling these pets had to be marvelous, I can't imagine they're too man power intensive to make. I for one am not a fan of these micro transactions, and if you really wanted to donate to charity, giving all 10 dollars would've been twice as good.

explodet

Angry Grimace said:
The problem with that is there's a gear limitation for using the Dungeon Finder when it comes to ToC or the ICC5s.

I just dinged an 80 DK and I can't queue for them yet because my gear sucks. I've run enough heroics to get 2 pieces of T9, and it's still not enough.

You could spam trade chat to get a group together for those dungeons... but who does that anymore?

notworksafe

mclem said:
I wonder if it's something to do with the SC2 beta; perhaps they're wanting to test the between-game communications? That would explain the timing, but not the content; few people would go onto the PTR just for that.

There is a part of the SC2 Beta FAQ where they say they are going to add communication with WoW players. Could be that with a collection of other little things (new Battle.net features, Cataclysm world events, ICC nerfs/buffs, the new plushie pets, PVP healing changes).

Belfast

mclem said:

I think that would be really tough to do, since a lot of people that play Starcraft don't necessarily play WoW, aside from the fact that the cross-section between those in the beta and those that would bother with the PTR is probably pretty small.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
Not really

Angry Grimace

explodet said:
The problem with that is there's a gear limitation for using the Dungeon Finder when it comes to ToC or the ICC5s.

I just dinged an 80 DK and I can't queue for them yet because my gear sucks. I've run enough heroics to get 2 pieces of T9, and it's still not enough.

You could spam trade chat to get a group together for those dungeons... but who does that anymore?
You don't have to run them on heroic.

notworksafe

Bisnic said:

Depends on the server. Area 52 pugs pretty much everything (even hard modes) so there's a constant need for all kinds of DPS.

explodet said:

This was the main reason as to why I made that Titanium Destroyer. I know I shouldn't have made it in the first place but if it was going to get me closer to running those dungeons random then so be it.

I don't understand why they decided to put a lock on those dungeons at normal mode. There isn't really any other way to get better gear than running these. Guess I'll have to use trade chat or find a guild.

Yaweee

My advice for gearing up right when you hit level 80:

-Look at Wowhead/wowwiki for complete lists of the Normal/Heroic modes for Trial of the Champion, Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron, and Halls of Reflection, and develop a slot-by-slot list of items to get from them. Run all of those heroics once a day, and chain run the normal modes until you have everything they need. Unlike the other instances, they drop only epics, ilvl 200/219/232.
- Run your daily heroic every day for the frost emblems and triumph badges. Do not spend the badges just yet, eventually buying T9 pieces or items for whatever slots you have shit in.
- Look at the auction house and buy ilvl 200 BoE for any slots you don't expect to fill soon if the price is ~200g or less. Even a few of the i200 epics should be enough to unlock the normal modes of the "good" dungeons, which will give you enough epics within a few runs to do their heroic modes for even better epics.
- Do all five weekly quests in Wintergrasp and pocket the honor, shards, and WG marks. Shards and Marks can be converted to honor, and honor can be spent on 264 pvp stuff in Orgrimmar or Stormwind. Even if it is PVP gear, it is as good for PvE as an something that is level 232 (usually). Also, you can get decent stuff with marks; the PVP trinkets that have AP/SP are good starters, and high enough for your "EPIC" achievement.

This was basically my strategy, and I was doing ICC10 in about three weeks of hitting 80.

Fury Warriors, Ret Paladins, and DPS DKs are still useful for raids; like any other spec, they bring useful buffs and awesome dps. I frequently see plenty in the raids I run.

Yaweee said:

-Look at Wowhead/wowwiki for complete lists of the Normal/Heroic modes for Trial of the Champion, Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron, and Halls of Reflection, and develop a slot-by-slot list of items to get from them. Run all of those heroics once a day, and chain run the normal modes until you have everything they need. Unlike the other instances, they drop only epics, ilvl 200/219/232.
- Run your daily heroic every day for the frost emblems and triumph badges. Do not spend the badges just yet, eventually buying T9 pieces or items for whatever slots you have shit in.
- Look at the auction house and buy ilvl 200 BoE for any slots you don't expect to fill soon if the price is ~200g or less. Even a few of the i200 epics should be enough to unlock the normal modes of the "good" dungeons, which will give you enough epics within a few runs to do their heroic modes for even better epics.
- Do all five weekly quests in Wintergrasp and pocket the honor, shards, and WG marks. Shards and Marks can be converted to honor, and honor can be spent on 264 pvp stuff in Orgrimmar or Stormwind. Even if it is PVP gear, it is as good for PvE as an something that is level 232 (usually). Also, you can get decent stuff with marks; the PVP trinkets that have AP/SP are good starters, and high enough for your "EPIC" achievement.

Fury Warriors, Ret Paladins, and DPS DKs are still useful for raids; like any other spec, they bring useful buffs to raids and awesome dps.

Thanks for the information. I forgot about those weekly quests in Wintergrasp.

-NeoTB1-

So I've been thinking about getting back into WoW lately. Is there a significant gaf population that congregates on a specific server, or do most people here just kind of do their own thing and mingle here to exchange stories and ideas?

arhra

Looks like PTR is related to this:
We have several changes planned for Battlegrounds in the next minor content patch and would like to share them with you now. This patch will be available for public testing and we encourage you to participate, queue up and provide some feedback on these changes.

* Firstly, say goodbye to Battleground Marks of Honor. We feel this currency system is a bit outdated and are getting rid of it. Any items which require these marks as currency will have their costs adjusted appropriately to remove this requirement. The quest NPCs will still be available to award players Honor for turning in leftover marks, but this is only to help players clear this expired currency.

* Next, the Battleground holiday weekend will now be denoted as "Call to Arms" in the Battleground tab and Calendar. If you prefer a specific Battleground over all others, look for those words next to its name to determine whether or not you'll receive bonus Honor. The bonus awards for Call to Arms Battlegrounds have been adjusted.

o Winning a Call to Arms Battleground for the first time in a day will award players with 30 Honorable Kills worth of additional Honor currency.
o Additional Call to Arms Battleground victories after the first win for a player that day will award them with 15 Honorable Kills worth of additional Honor currency.
o Losing a Call to Arms Battleground will award players with 5 Honorable Kills worth of additional Honor currency.

* To bring the rate at which players obtain PvP rewards with Honor more in-line with the rate at which players obtain PvE rewards via the Dungeon Finder, we'll also be increasing the amount of Honor awarded for an Honorable Kill by 100%. In light of this, the amount of experience provided from an Honorable Kill, and the amount of Honor awarded for completing the Wintergrasp weekly quests, have been reduced by 50%.

It's important to note one thing about these 50% decreases. All Honor awarded for completing objectives in Battlegrounds and Wintergrasp is actually based on an Honorable Kill conversion rate. So if you destroy a tower in Alterac Valley for example, the Honor you're awarded is actually based on a flat number of Honorable Kills. Since Honorable Kills will now award 100% more Honor, completing such objectives will also award more Honor. This is why experience gains based on completing Battleground objectives and Honor awarded from the Wintergrasp quests are being decreased by 50%.

* Now that we hopefully have your attention, we're pleased to announce the implementation of the Random Battleground system! This system will work virtually the same as the Random Dungeon option in the Dungeon Finder. Players can queue with a group of up to five players for a Random Battleground in the Battleground tab. As with the Random Dungeon option, the Battleground chosen will not be revealed until players zone into the Battleground for which they are selected. The bonus rewards for this system are identical to the updated Call to Arms bonuses.

o Winning a Battleground using the Random Battleground option for the first time in a day will award players with 30 Honorable Kills worth of additional Honor currency.
o Winning additional Battlegrounds using the Random Battleground option after the first random win will award players with 15 Honorable Kills worth of additional Honor currency.
o Losing a Battleground using the Random Battleground option will award players with 5 Honorable Kills worth of additional Honor currency.
o When using the Random Battleground option, players will not receive additional rewards if the Battleground chosen is under the effects of the Call to Arms bonuses. In other words, the bonuses do not stack. In addition, if a player has been rewarded 30 Honorable Kills worth of bonus Honor currency from either the Random Battleground system, or the Call to Arms Battleground, he or she will be rewarded 15 Honorable Kills worth of bonus Honor currency that day for each additional victory. This applies whether the Random Battleground system is used, or the Call to Arms Battleground is chosen specifically, as a player cannot be rewarded the full amount of bonus Honor more than once per day.

All of these features and changes will be available in the next minor patch which should be hitting the public test realms in the near future. Please help us out by testing this system and providing your feedback so we can make some fine-tuning adjustments before the patch's release.

Yaweee

@PTR notes:

Praise Jesus! Random battlegrounds are awesome, but why not integrate the 25 bonus arena points into the first win as well?

Yaweee said:
@PTR notes:

Praise Jesus! Random battlegrounds are awesome, but why not integrate the 25 bonus arena points into the first win as well?

That would be really awesome. Might be something they'll consider during the PTR testing.

notworksafe

Holy crap these BG changes sound awesome! I think it'll be time to grind for PVP mounts soon...

Yaweee said:

Probably saving that for Rated BGs, which will give Arena Points.

border

Yeah -- bonus honor is not really all that attractive considering that all the best gear is not bought with honor.

I guess the idea is to let you gear up new characters more quickly though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
My warrior is on Eredar, which isn't very populate, especially on Alliance side. That's why i was saying getting a pug raid as melee dps isn't easy with so few of them when im online. I suppose a high pop server is a different story.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
If you're just seeing Saronite Gargoyle Cloak for the first time now, and haven't gotten a Blade of Culling, you have the worst drops in the world. :lol

Naw, that ax dropped every week basically. I have that and the citadel enforcer. Like I said before, that cloak was the first time it ever dropped for us, we had everything but it. The ax I'm waiting on though was Shadow's Edge. I just need the blood off of Rotface to make it basically.

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
Naw, that ax dropped every week basically. I have that and the citadel enforcer. Like I said before, that cloak was the first time it ever dropped for us, we had everything but it. The ax I'm waiting on though was Shadow's Edge. I just need the blood off of Rotface to make it basically.
Huge waste of Saronite imo

Just get Bryntroll.

Yaweee

From an interview:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/news-2/patch-3-3-x-ruby-sanctum/
http://gameinformer.com/games/world...world-of-warcraft-wrath-of-the-lich-king.aspx

* The Dungeon Finder tool might be extended "at the very least" to 10-person raids at some point in the future.
* The next addition to raid content will probably be a single-boss encounter in the Ruby Sanctum of the Chamber of Aspects. "It’s a little too early to have a lot of details on that, but I wouldn’t characterize it as a huge chunk of content. [...] I think of it more as an extension of patch 3.3."

Rapstah

The Dungeon Finder really is an amazing addition, I tried a random dungeon yesterday (level 19) and got into a Wailing Caverns team on Alliance. I'd never have gone there otherwise but I got the blue shoulders off Mutanus, a bunch of shitty greens and a damn nice blue belt off the pouch you get for doing a random one. I guess the only problem was how everyone got lost in the instance...

mclem

funkmastergeneral said:
How can you seriously enjoy that place. It's a room.

While the decor is lacking, I do rather enjoy the fights in there; they're perhaps a bit too easy, but all of them except maybe for Jaraxxus are interesting.

I think 10-man Grand Crusader Anub'arak may be my favourite fight this expansion, at least so far.

J-Rzez

I figured they'd throw together something, if they haven't had it done for a while now already, as a filler until Cataclysm. WoW has a weird community. It's like when a top guild clears the content, they feel the game is done to them. Even still, I can see the game becoming incredibly stale with ICC basically played out in the next 2 months or so tops. I don't plan on gearing all my alts with ICC gear because the new zones have promised to be another BC, where stam is going to be wildly increased from past interviews, which they said they didn't like so it wasn't as drastic in WotLK, whatever.

There will be a pre-patch filler which will contain the majority of new mechanics (like reworked racials, skill trees, etc) to be found in Cata, and a new raid in a box. And it'll be released probably a month or so before launch.

Can't wait to see what imbalances present themselves come Cata like what happened in Wrath (paladins lol). They don't seem to be promising much as far as new abilities go, leaving the tree "caps" stay the same. But the game certainly needs it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
That's pretty much a given, and I stated a few pages back that people should be expecting a somewhat hefty pre-Cataclysm patch. I'm not surprised to hear them opening up the Ruby Sanctum, but what I am keen on knowing is what will be inside - dragons or elementals, or both?

What I am surprised about is the notion that the Runemaster class was a candidate for the hero class. A Monk-esque class is what WoW needs.

lordmrw

J-Rzez said:
Can't wait to see what imbalances present themselves come Cata like what happened in Wrath (paladins lol). They don't seem to be promising much as far as new abilities go, leaving the tree "caps" stay the same. But the game certainly needs it.

I was under the impression they had said new abilities would replace the static buff talents they are removing from every tree, in addition to the new skills each class will get from their trainers. I hope it still like this, because it gets dreadfully boring playing as a rogue in a raid sometimes as I'm really only using the same 3-4 skills over and over.

Did ToC 25 with the guild to help some of the other players who still need to gear up and won a 2 piece 3 pieces to replace some gear i've been wearing for months now in addition to some leatherworking patterns. All in all a pretty awesome night yesterday.

moojito

From what I understand, health pools are getting a dramatic hike all round. One class being OP won't have such a profound impact, I think.

mclem

J-Rzez said:
I figured they'd throw together something, if they haven't had it done for a while now already, as a filler until Cataclysm.

I suspect it's not so much raid content filler - although it will serve as that - as storyline filler; it being a dragonshrine suggests that it could contain the beginning of the Deathwing-release storyline for Cataclysm - do note that it's the reds who are guarding the entrance to Grim Batol.

mclem

speedpop said:
That's pretty much a given, and I stated a few pages back that people should be expecting a somewhat hefty pre-Cataclysm patch.

Do bear in mind that the *actual* pre-Cataclysm patch - that is, 4.0 - will necessarily be massive and require a lot of testing since we would assume it'd have to contain the entire newly-sundered world; at some point those players who don't have the expansion will need to get their entire base world updated, and 4.0 is the logical time for that to take place.

It'll be a bit weird, though, we'll see the effect's of Deathwing's attack without actually being able to *do* anything about it for a while, unless they're planning something crazy with phasing to phase the whole new world in overnight on the release date.

Dunlop

Yaweee said:

This was basically my strategy, and I was doing ICC10 in about three weeks of hitting 80.

Fury Warriors, Ret Paladins, and DPS DKs are still useful for raids; like any other spec, they bring useful buffs and awesome dps. I frequently see plenty in the raids I run.

Thanks for this summary. Currently I am mostly 200/232 gear exept for boots which I cannot seem to get dropped and for a reason that eludes me they are not part of armor sets.

I had the idea of keeping my disc spec to run dungeons and did a holy raiding spec..I tried to practice with the Holy spec in dungeon runs and it just never worked out and I kept switched it out, probably because I was doing heroic ones...Overall I am just not enjoying holy. Gonna put shadow back and do the dungeon/pvp route to eventually gear up for raiding or raid as a disc priest when the option presents itself

mclem

funkmastergeneral said:
Oh boy. A single boss fight. Where the hell is the ice troll raid?

What ice troll raid? The only time I've ever heard one mentioned has been people jokingly suggesting that there must be one because an expansion *always* has a troll raid. I've never seen an official mention of such.

Rapstah

Totalriot said:
Is anyone wondering why the wow-europe is currently under maintenance? I think, I may have something to do with this. I've found this disgusting little ad:

http://i48.tinypic.com/5vdte8.jpg

and complained via forum and mail. Neonazi propaganda on the official World Of Warcraft forum? WTF!?
It's not even neo-nazi, the ad is about support to SS veterans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom