• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
thatbox said:
You pulled aggro off the tank once in an instance that is notoriously difficult to tank and the tank is bad? Feign Death / Fade / Ice Block / Shield Wall / Evasion and get on with the heroic. Instances are a team sport.
Once? You mean every. single. mob. for every pull until I died. I can only use IBF like once every 2 minutes, and the rogue and warrior mobs will kill me pretty fast regardless of how much armor I've got.

Hall of Reflection isn't hard to tank on a Paladin at all. I've done it on my Paladin many, many times and it's really not hard, especially if you remember you have Holy Wrath.

Why can't a man get Azjol-Nerub once in a while?

Shouta

Sebulon3k said:
Being behind the GS curve is so annoying, can't do any PUG ICC raids because they all want 5500+ GS

Can't do ToGC because they want 5200+, gearing up for new raids is so difficult, kinda putting me off levelling any alts :lol

Yeah, it annoys me because I want to PUG raids but they're like have xx GS and the achievement. How the fuck do I get that GS or achievement if I don't get to do it?

And GS doesn't account for skill/paying attention either. =|

profit

Angry Grimace said:
Why can't a man get Azjol-Nerub once in a while?

I had AN pop up today for my daily random.
We wiped 3 times because the hunter and druid wanted to have fun with the pulling and bugging.....
The 5.9k gs holy paladin died because the druid "could do more threat when in cat form = faster run".

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Shouta said:
Yeah, it annoys me because I want to PUG raids but they're like have xx GS and the achievement. How the fuck do I get that GS or achievement if I don't get to do it?

That was my issue with WoW. Too many people think the raiding is difficult, it's rather annoying having played MMOs that don't tell you what to do and when to do it. =p

But I also understand why people request it based on the few pugs I did get invited to, there are a ton of horrible raiders.

Acidote

Shouta said:

I've seen people asking for 5200+ GS to do a fucking Halls of Reflections. I think that this kind of people doesn't even think about it for a moment. They just look their own GS and ask for more than what they have.

yacobod

Banned
Iadien said:
That was my issue with WoW. Too many people think the raiding is difficult, it's rather annoying having played MMOs that don't tell you what to do and when to do it. =p

But I also understand why people request it based on the few pugs I did get invited to, there are a ton of horrible raiders.

well for 25m TOC i dont really think gear score matters, if ppl want to do a 10m togc insanity pug, then i think gear score is pretty important, better geared ppl will more then likely have an easier time clearing it provided ppl are competent, and it gives you a greater margin for error

as far as 25m icc or 10m icc pugs, i think the reason prominence is placed on GS is because fights past the first 4 bosses have dps, healing, or tank checks, so

at any rate this complaint has been valid for the past 5 years of the game, you are playing the game to get more loot so you have the gear to get more loot, ad nauseum

Swag

yacobod said:
As far as 25m icc or 10m icc pugs, i think the reason prominence is placed on GS is because fights past the first 4 bosses have dps, healing, or tank checks, so

at any rate this complaint has been valid for the past 5 years of the game, you are playing the game to get more loot so you have the gear to get more loot, ad nauseum

Yeah I get your point, but it's annoying not being able to do anything currently relevant in the game. I've been reduced to doing Ulduar HMs!

I would just make my own PUG for ICC 10 but I don't know what type of raid set up to do.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, you're going to need probably 3 melee, 2 caster dps and 1 ranged dps/healer. If only for the Lady Deathwhisper and Saurfang fights.

arhra

Tamanon said:
Yeah, you're going to need probably 3 melee, 2 caster dps and 1 ranged dps/healer. If only for the Lady Deathwhisper and Saurfang fights.
I've cleared everything but the LK with raids where i'm the only non-tank melee class.

That said, we usually have a hunter or two to help out on the magic-immune Deathwhisper adds (the split you really need to be worried about there is physical vs magic).

Shouta said:

Get into a guild and you don't have to pug raids anymore. When I pug raids I want people that overgear the instance/have proof of knowledge of the fights to guarantee a smooth run for me.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Shouta said:

GS doesn't account for anything except immature epeen.

Tamanon

Banned
Mastery details! Looks very very interesting.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/1/23614404862-mastery-system-preview.html

Holy Priest

For each talent point spent in the Holy tree, the priest also gets:
Healing – Improves your healing by X%.
Meditation – Improves your mana regeneration from Spirit in combat. This would likely replace the existing Meditation talent from the Discipline tree, which many Holy priests consider to be a "must-have." Regeneration will also probably be determined by whether you are in or out of combat, and not the "five-second rule.
Radiance – Adds a heal-over-time effect to direct heals, such as Flash Heal. Mastery on gear would boost this bonus, and no other talent tree would grant it.
Discipline Priest

For each talent point spent in the Discipline tree, the priest also gets:
Healing – Improves your healing by X%.
Meditation – Improves your mana regeneration from Spirit in combat. This would likely replace the existing Meditation talent.
Absorption – Improves the amount of damage absorbed by spells such as Power Word: Shield and Divine Aegis. Mastery on gear would boost this bonus, and no other talent tree would grant it.
Frost Death Knight

For each talent point spent in the Frost tree, the death knight also gets:
Damage – Improves your melee and spell damage by X%.
Haste – Improves your melee Haste by Y%. This might allow us to remove some of the Haste in the Icy Talons line of talents.
Runic Power – Improves the rate of runic power generated by abilities. While all death knights want runic power, Frost death knights would generally have more runic power than Blood or Unholy death knights (who would receive a different benefit from their respective trees). An Unholy death knight who sub-specs into Frost would still be able to benefit from this bonus, though because they're investing fewer talent points, they'd benefit to a smaller degree. Mastery on gear would boost this bonus, and no other talent tree would grant it.

That Holy Mastery bonus is frickin' hot(lol puns)

Glad we're starting to get some more information on mastery. Now if they could just update the Cataclysm site with new video and screenshots then I'd be very happy.

Askani

I've really got to spend some time not playing and actually figure out my gear. I left when my guild was about 1/2 to 3/4s of the way through Ulduar and just came back about two weeks ago. I'm pretty undergeared for what PUGs want in raids. Not that it matters to me because I don't raid in PUGs, but it's an indication that I'm lagging behind and I don't want to drag my guild raid down if I go.

I have 160 (I think) triumph badges right now. That's enough to buy 4 pieces of T9. Or, at least two pieces and replace maybe something else that would give better returns. Just keep my T7 bonus and my T9 bonus and give me time to build up more badges and focus on getting a weapon drop from somewhere. Need to figure out what's the biggest bang for the buck badge and re-gem to make sure I'm back at hit cap and stack AP and Crit.

Askani said:
I've really got to spend some time not playing and actually figure out my gear. I left when my guild was about 1/2 to 3/4s of the way through Ulduar and just came back about two weeks ago. I'm pretty undergeared for what PUGs want in raids. Not that it matters to me because I don't raid in PUGs, but it's an indication that I'm lagging behind and I don't want to drag my guild raid down if I go.

I have 160 (I think) triumph badges right now. That's enough to buy 4 pieces of T9. Or, at least two pieces and replace maybe something else that would give better returns. Just keep my T7 bonus and my T9 bonus and give me time to build up more badges and focus on getting a weapon drop from somewhere. Need to figure out what's the biggest bang for the buck badge and re-gem to make sure I'm back at hit cap and stack AP and Crit.

Buy the il245 helm and shoulders from the Triumph vendor then use the rest to grab the T9 pieces you need to fill the rest with such as the chest, pants, and gloves.

yacobod

Banned
HarryDemeanor said:
Buy the il245 helm and shoulders from the Triumph vendor then use the rest to grab the T9 pieces you need to fill the rest with such as the chest, pants, and gloves.

depends what class he is, the 2 piece or 4 piece might be better than going for 2 pieces of offset, but it really depends what class he is playing

Askani

BM Hunter. Yes, I know it's noob. Yes, I know I'm not "raid viable". I don't care, it's what I want to play, so get the mocking out of the way now. :lol

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alleria&cn=Emmakath

My helm is one of the 3 pieces of iLvl 226 gear I had. Almost everything else was 213 with 1 or two 200s. Just a quick glance, I think I would get much better return replacing my chest first and waiting on my helm. Usually I just jump right into WoW when I get home and then think about gear all day on my proxy blocked work PC where I can't look stuff up the way I want. Need to table the game tonight and see what's what.

EDIT ::::: :::::

Also, I should mention that I did pick up a new helm in the Forge of Souls. Eyes of Bewilderment. I wasn't going to equip it yet until I researched my stuff and decided what else I was getting before I did anything with it. I think it's actually better than an un-upgraded Triumph helm for me.

Flib

I feel badly saying this, but I really don't understand wanting to play the hunter spec with the simplest rotation/least interesting mechanics/worst dps of any of the three specs.

It is funny to see your character since it's basically my gear a little over a year ago. It's like a time machine.

Askani

Flib said:
I feel badly saying this, but I really don't understand wanting to play the hunter spec with the simplest rotation/least interesting mechanics/worst dps of any of the three specs.

It is funny to see your character since it's basically my gear a little over a year ago. It's like a time machine.

Meh...don't feel bad, BM hunters are used to hearing that from everyone by now. It's just what I started with and liked it and got comfortable with and didn't want to change. Really, I think I am getting to the point I kind of agree and may play with MM. Hunters in the guild are mostly MM and with one or two SV. I used to think about switching, but since I was topping the other Hunters in raids or was within a few hundred DPS, I didn't have the drive to switch. I'm thinking about MM and running it in the random dungeon finder and seeing how much better my damage is. It used to be a case of "Why switch?". Now it's, "If I switch, I wonder how much better than the other Hunters I might be able to be.".

All that does though is give me another thing to think about for buying gear and gemming and enchanting. Need to make sure I'm not completely screwing myself on another spec by stacking too much in one stat that's the wrong direction for another spec.

Yaweee

traveler said:
Indeed. In the dk case, I wonder what they are going to do about varying roles using the same tree- eliminate it or create a bonus useful to both? The Frost masteries are clearly dps oriented, so what happens to Frost tanks?

All of those bonuses are useful to both dps and tanking. More damage, more threat. More haste (which is more comprehensive in Catalclysm), more frequent special abilities. More runic power, more budget to use tanking abilities. Damage mitigation and the defense-equivalent abilities will come from Frost Presence or Talents.

I've been pretty obsessed with the SC2 beta, and haven't played much WoW, but I still log in on time for raids. Last saturday I got on for the continuation of our joint 25 man raid with another guild, and there weren't enough folks on. I asked if we could continue ICC 10, just to get some more tries in on Sindragosa. Guild leader didn't want to, and instead wanted to do ToGC10. I was like meh, I'd rather not unless you need a second tank. So he says "no, you don't have to come I'll pug a tank." Fine, so I sign off.

Signed back on yesterday, then decided to check the server forum and lo and behold
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=23425639624&sid=1

We need a third main spec healer, but getting another tank is nothing more than an attempt to push me out. The guild leader has done absolutely nothing to set up a second 10 man group, which would actually get people to apply. We already have a nice core, adding someone else would only serve to push someone else out.

Alright, so I'm currently using Titan Panel and have it transparent right now, is there a way to shorten the bar on the sides? This is how it looks right now without transparency.

Also, is there an addon that I can use to move the battleground/WG counters that appear? Such as "Alliance Reinforcements Blah/Blah"?

yacobod said:
why not just find a new guild? if you're a competent tank, i'm sure you can find a better guild on your server, unless ur server is real low pop or backwoods

Pretty much this. We've got two premier guilds, but I can't really commit to their raid schedules. Then we have a host of second tier guilds that are real good, including my guild. I have a lot of history with my guild, and leaving would be kind of annoying. But then again, the guild leader is even more annoying. If I leave, I'd prefer to ensure a decent amount of people leave with me; not to be vindictive, but I think a message needs to be sent.

HarryDemeanor said:
Alright, so I'm currently using Titan Panel and have it transparent right now, is there a way to shorten the bar on the sides? This is how it looks right now without transparency.

Also, is there an addon that I can use to move the battleground/WG counters that appear? Such as "Alliance Reinforcements Blah/Blah"?

yo clean your damn bags out

I'm so fucking sick of putting together pug groups. Put together a 25m totc last night and people just leave after one boss or after they get a piece of gear. This of course causes a chain reaction and before you know it everyone's gone. You cant even really pug anyone else in to replace them because who's gonna want to join a non-fresh run?

Anyone know any shitlist addons so I know who to ignore? I found one which I think is called badplayer but it hasnt been updated since 2009.

Cipherr

Flib said:

BM now leads SV in dps at best in slot because of the change coming to add an additional 9% steady shot to the tree. True story.

Shouta

Askani said:
Meh...don't feel bad, BM hunters are used to hearing that from everyone by now. It's just what I started with and liked it and got comfortable with and didn't want to change. Really, I think I am getting to the point I kind of agree and may play with MM. Hunters in the guild are mostly MM and with one or two SV. I used to think about switching, but since I was topping the other Hunters in raids or was within a few hundred DPS, I didn't have the drive to switch. I'm thinking about MM and running it in the random dungeon finder and seeing how much better my damage is. It used to be a case of "Why switch?". Now it's, "If I switch, I wonder how much better than the other Hunters I might be able to be.".

All that does though is give me another thing to think about for buying gear and gemming and enchanting. Need to make sure I'm not completely screwing myself on another spec by stacking too much in one stat that's the wrong direction for another spec.

You'll get a big jump in damage going from BM to MM. I leveled as BM and did early heroics as BM but once you get the gist of MM spec (and it's the easiest one to play IMO), BM just doesn't really output the same. Not to say that I dislike BM, I love it but I do wish it was a bit more developed on the whole rather than simply buffing the pet a bit. Kind of wish it was a bit more raid focused with unique bonuses and the like to give to everyone though Ferocious Inspiration is being turned into an aura next patch.

My BM spec currently lags behind my MM spec about 7-10% whereas SV only lags about 2-4% depending on if I don't fuck my shot rotation up the ass in DPS.

Askani

I ended up using my Eyes of Bewilderment helm, bought the T9 Chest and Gloves, and bought the Epaulets of the Devourer vendor shoulders. I didn't think the T7 5% pet damage bonus was really worth trying to save over the stats I would lose by not upgrading. Gemmed back up past the hit cap and got my enchants. Didn't make as much of a gear score improvement as I wanted, but I expected that. Need to get a plan for trinkets and weapons now and pick up enough badges to maybe replace some other random armor stuff until I get some drops.

Puncture said:
BM now leads SV in dps at best in slot because of the change coming to add an additional 9% steady shot to the tree. True story.

Oh...nice. I was verifying it was just Steady Shot and saw they updated it to do both. I just remember Frostheim doing the math and making it not sound that good and hadn't checked back on it.

Shouta said:
My BM spec currently lags behind my MM spec about 7-10% whereas SV only lags about 2-4% depending on if I don't fuck my shot rotation up the ass in DPS.

Going to read some MM stuff over the next couple of days that I'd normally skip over. Possibly replace a couple gems and split the difference between what's best for BM and what's best for MM. Hopefully I'll quit being lazy and try a MM run this weekend, or at least go hit a target dummy for awhile. Maybe I can get close to that "10% better than BM" number.

Shouta

Askani said:
Going to read some MM stuff over the next couple of days that I'd normally skip over. Possibly replace a couple gems and split the difference between what's best for BM and what's best for MM. Hopefully I'll quit being lazy and try a MM run this weekend, or at least go hit a target dummy for awhile. Maybe I can get close to that "10% better than BM" number.

If you don't know of it. femaledwarf.com is fantastic for figuring out your possible DPS with all kinds of Hunter setups.

Difference between BM and MM can be farther depending on circumstance and sometimes even closer as well. 10% won't be hard though. Certain glyphs are important for MM though and understanding and maintaining a proper shot rotation is pivotal. It's easier with MM than it is SV though, thankfully.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Druid healing in PVP is nuts. The only one I haven't bothered to seriously try is Paladin healing, but god damn. I never run out of mana and I never die. It is ridiculous.

Ophiuchus

Banned
I say go survival until you have the gear to go MM , ie 500 min arp stop geming for hit and spec into focus aim. I main a hunter btw working on sindragosa 25 man if you want any tips let me know

Shouta

Sinistar said:
I say go survival until you have the gear to go MM , ie 500 min arp stop geming for hit and spec into focus aim. I main a hunter btw working on sindragosa 25 man if you want any tips let me know

Don't even need 500 ArP to do well with MM but it is best. SV is a lot of damn fun though and I find it better in PVP than MM.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
AstroMan said:
I'm not too familiar with WoW but I get to Redridge via Stormwind, yes?

Redridge is east of Elwynn Forest, which is south of Stormwind, so yeah.

But going from Redridge to Duskwood to STV, you might not have enough yellow quests. STV sucks before lvl 30, and Redridge + Duskwood wont have enough quests for 20 to 30, so try to do some instances while questing to help. Or you can still go to Wetlands when in the lvl 22-28 range, but that's a long walk from Ironforge, but once you get the flightpath there, it takes 2 mins to reach from Ironforge. Westfall(west of Elwynn Forest) might have some green & yellow quests at 20 if you go there too, but dont wait too long before going there. There's also Ashenvale, but that's on the other continent, so it kinda sucks.

yacobod

Banned
no reason to even really read up on MM to play all you have to do is

SrS, CS, AS, SSx4, rinse and repeat

make a macro for /Blood Fury, Readiness, and Call of the Wild for burst or blood lust

finally got my epic flying, and crafted my SUPER FAST FLYING DOORMAT!

dancing party time!

crazy_feeshin.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh, my poor brother. He wanted to join a PvP server in prep for Cataclysm, hoping there would be more world PvP now that it's back in Azeroth. So, he looked around for a high-pop PvP server that was Central/EST. Settled on Stormreaver, but I guess he didn't do all his research, because it turns out the Horde population is outnumbered 7:1 at level 80.

Why hasn't Blizzard taken any initiative to balance out PvP realm populations? I mean, I remember it being even worse at launch, but they haven't really put much effort into it. Looking at fanboy servers like Mal'Ganis (17:1) is kind of sad. Doesn't really promote what I used to think of as the best part of the game, 4 years ago.

FLEABttn

Banned
Lyphen said:
Why hasn't Blizzard taken any initiative to balance out PvP realm populations? I mean, I remember it being even worse at launch, but they haven't really put much effort into it. Looking at fanboy servers like Mal'Ganis (17:1) is kind of sad. Doesn't really promote what I used to think of as the best part of the game, 4 years ago.

They have, it's just that nothing is mandatory. You can't prevent people from rolling where they want, or force people to roll where they don't want without a lot of anger.

Given the scale of what world pvp had come, even in 2005, they probably don't see a need to make anything mandatory.

To be fair, if you're still playing WoW for world pvp, or the hopes of world pvp, you've probably been playing the wrong game for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom