• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Assuming that I might not make it that far down the path you've laid out, should I be getting the 251 set pieces or the 264 non-set items that are available from the generic all-gear Dalaran vendor? I dunno if the set bonuses on 251 gear are enough to make up the difference in iLevel.

Xabora

border said:
Assuming that I might not make it that far down the path you've laid out, should I be getting the 251 set pieces or the 264 non-set items that are available from the generic all-gear Dalaran vendor? I dunno if the set bonuses on 251 gear are enough to make up the difference in iLevel.
Set bonus is more than enough really.
I'm still using 2 251 pieces from the T10 set. (Until 2 nights ago, I had 3 251 peices)

Oh and gearscore, yeah toss that notion into the trash.

border

I guess I'm also kind debating the value of buying a couple cheaper pieces of 264 gear (sigil, cape, belt, trinket) versus just buying one piece of 264 gear or a 251 set piece. Will the heavy stat contribution of the T10 chest outweigh what I'd get from some combination of cheaper pieces?

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
The only mobs that this matters on die from said AoE in like 10 seconds though, which is why I'll drop Howling Blasts and D&Ds regardless of who's tanking in a shit faceroll heroic.

In raids, this isn't necessarily all that common since your group knows what to do and usually doesn't do stupid crap.

Well yeah, heroics are completely trivial. Raid wise though you have to watch your ass. Of course raiders should have more common sense, but I was just pointing out that it's much easier to pull off of a War/Druid than a DK/Pally as far as AoE goes. You need to give them a bit more time to build up hate, and if shit doesn't die fast, then you'll be pulling hate if you're not careful after a few more hits.

thatbox

Banned
Dunlop said:
True, but also if you are at the uber elite raider status you should be able to easily keep an undergeared tank alive. I am nowhere near that status and all the heroics are a joke for me to heal with either me holy or disc spec. I mean the difference must be under 10mins for a "rough" run
Yeah, but a lot of these people would rather just log over and do the daily on another character while the pug machine debuff ticks down after they leave a group that might take a little longer. I know I'm guilty of this after a long night, even though I've coached many a new tank through heroics on my healer, or made up for newbie DPS with Smite spam. Again, I'm not necessarily trying to defend this practice - just trying to get across one of its main causes.

yacobod

Banned
firex said:
Tanking is going to be way easier in the expansion. No more defense gear/defense cap = easier to gear up which will make being a leveling tank a lot easier, or being a new heroic tank. The defense cap is so retarded right now anyway, and they proved they can make tank gear still interesting by giving different avoidance ratings instead.

reaching the defense cap is pretty trivial, a lot of raid geared tanks are way over the cap, even in dungeon and heroic gear its easy to hit 540 def

FLEABttn

Banned
joelseph said:
The first gear check in ICC25 is Fester, you should try and pug the first wing of it every week.

The pugs on Drenden aren't that good, and I'm trying to keep it 10 strict.

As much as I hate grinding heroics, I'd probably still be doing it if I had all my gear, just to get primordial saronite. They sell for like 2k.

firex

yacobod said:
reaching the defense cap is pretty trivial, a lot of raid geared tanks are way over the cap, even in dungeon and heroic gear its easy to hit 540 def
It's still a pain when raid gear puts you below the cap when it's an upgrade otherwise and they already proved with druid tanks that it's a stupid idea anyway.

Yaweee

joelseph said:
The first gear check in ICC25 is Fester, you should try and pug the first wing of it every week.

This. The first wing is pretty reasonable to PUG, as long as you are checking for at least the 10m achievement or GS/WH scores. I've gotten plenty of drops from the first 25m wing alone, all pugs.

Rapstah

Blizzard's watching my exploration character... Yesterday I got random disconnects while trying to wallwalk Stormwind and I just now got killed by nothing and muted for ten minutes while wallwalking Deadmines. :( If they work on a three strikes policy, I'm screwed.

Rapstah said:
Blizzard's watching my exploration character... Yesterday I got random disconnects while trying to wallwalk Stormwind and I just now got killed by nothing and muted for ten minutes while wallwalking Deadmines. :( If they work on a three strikes policy, I'm screwed.
Hm, that doesn't make sense. The random disconnects can be explained, depending on what you use to wallwalk. GMs shouldn't randomly kill you and you also shouldn't get muted. If anything, you should receive a warning, a short ban, the length increasing up until a permaban if you keep breaking the rules. Thing is, if you're doing this all legit (Levitate), they shouldn't find out unless you flaunt the fact that you're doing these things (e.g. saying that you're in places you're not meant to be in chat channels and someone reports you). Going to Hyjal and getting No Man's Land can also send messages to GMs apparently, so if you've done that they could be looking for you. Either way, you shouldn't have anything to worry about until you get a formal warning.

thatbox

Banned
Rapstah said:
Two friends and I got on flying mounts behind the AQ instance portal last week. It was a lot of fun.
Orbitcube said:
Hm, that doesn't make sense. The random disconnects can be explained, depending on what you use to wallwalk. GMs shouldn't randomly kill you and you also shouldn't get muted. If anything, you should receive a warning, a short ban, the length increasing up until a permaban if you keep breaking the rules. Thing is, if you're doing this all legit (Levitate), they shouldn't find out unless you flaunt the fact that you're doing these things (e.g. saying that you're in places you're not meant to be in chat channels and someone reports you). Going to Hyjal and getting No Man's Land can also send messages to GMs apparently, so if you've done that they could be looking for you. Either way, you shouldn't have anything to worry about until you get a formal warning.
Can you still get to Hyjal? How do you go about it?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
thatbox said:
Two friends and I got on flying mounts behind the AQ instance portal last week. It was a lot of fun.

How in the world did you get on flying mounts behind AQ

Cipherr

Sindragosas voiceovers are really starting to grate on me. Its absolutely horrible, they have never had VA as bad as that fight. Youtube it if your not there yet and listen to that shit.

And she doesnt just mouth off at the start of the fight and then stays quiet through the rest of the fight, she constantly is fucking talking throughout the whole fight. I hate it.

LAUGHTREY said:

The area back there is set to flyable isnt it? Thats what I have always assumed when people said that.

Belfast

I don't think people know the difference between "good" VA and VA they "don't like." Shit, yes, it gets annoying after awhile, but I think it fits her pretty well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Puncture said:
Sindragosas voiceovers are really starting to grate on me. Its absolutely horrible, they have never had VA as bad as that fight. Youtube it if your not there yet and listen to that shit.

And she doesnt just mouth off at the start of the fight and then stays quiet through the rest of the fight, she constantly is fucking talking throughout the whole fight. I hate it.

The area back there is set to flyable isnt it? Thats what I have always assumed when people said that.
You're telling me you think it's even more than Deathwhisper's intro? True you only hear that one once. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLhdUBNJkf8 :lol :lol :lol

Cipherr

Belfast said:
I don't think people know the difference between "good" VA and VA they "don't like." Shit, yes, it gets annoying after awhile, but I think it fits her pretty well.

No, no it freaking doesnt fit. Like the other poster says, even if the scripting fit, the fact that the VA voice cracks and sounds like shit is just unforgivable. Especially on the betraaaaaayyyysss youuuuu! part. Its atrocious. I would much rather hear "THE SOONER YOU ACCEPT YOUR CONDITION AS A DEFECT" than Sindragosa. Its so terrible.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Puncture said:
No, no it freaking doesnt fit. Like the other poster says, even if the scripting fit, the fact that the VA voice cracks and sounds like shit is just unforgivable. Especially on the betraaaaaayyyysss youuuuu! part. Its atrocious. I would much rather hear "THE SOONER YOU ACCEPT YOUR CONDITION AS A DEFECT" than Sindragosa. Its so terrible.
They only have like 2 voice actors; one guy and one girl.

J-Rzez

FLEABttn said:
Bad VA's only contributed to me not playing with sound anymore. I've literally been sound free since 2005.

I still love the "romulo and julianne" and "shade of aran" vw from Kara, for the laughs. But I do honestly like the Selin Fireheart from MT.

Other than that, it's been pretty horrible.

Blizzard needs to employ Nolan North :D

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
I still love the "romulo and julianne" and "shade of aran" vw from Kara, for the laughs. But I do honestly like the Selin Fireheart from MT.

Other than that, it's been pretty horrible.

Blizzard needs to employ Nolan North :D
Random: my GF was watching Private Practice yesterday and Emily Rose (Elena's VA) was on as a guest star; she sounds nothing like Elena when she's not trying to. :lol

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Macattk15 said:
Uh most definitely.

"Suffer Mortals ..... as your pathetic magic BetTtTTRRaaYYYsss YOUUUU"

SO FUCKING ANNOYING. Sounds like a 17 year old voice cracking. It hits me in the soul.

The dragon is supposed to be insane, so it's eccentric.

I hate it, and few people know about sindragosa and fewer will appreciate the subtle crap they put it. But that's why its there.

thatbox said:
You can get into Hyjal with Levitate and I believe one way involving a multi-passenger mount, but you'll get a debuff called No Man's Land as soon as you zone in and will be ported out once the duration finishes. There is one way I remember reading that involved somehow tricking the game to think you're somewhere, but your body is in Darnassus and then there's a way to get up there, I'll try and find the video but it might not work anymore, so only try it if you have A LOT of time on your hand, it takes a while.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKxJHkabB4w&feature=player_embedded

Can't find the one I mentioned, but turns out the mount one doesn't give you No Man's Land, so that might be one way to do it.

firex

I remember wallwalking into Hyjal but this was before WotLK came out, and they fixed it. It's too bad because Hyjal is a really cool zone, but then again we get to go there in cataclysm.

I used to ghostwalk to zones (ghostwalk as in just go as a ghost) that were off limits in WoW beta a lot, though. For awhile blizzard's method of deterring people was simply giving all critters in the zone death touch, but then later they created a unique inferno model you could see from far away when they were having to put guardians of blizzard around off-limits zones. But you could turn off the ghost effects for the most part, so you could go as a ghost and see the (empty anyway aside from critters) zones which was cool.

Cipherr

FLEABttn said:
Bad VA's only contributed to me not playing with sound anymore. I've literally been sound free since 2005.

The only reason I dont mute the game completely is for the audible cue's in some of the boss fights. Like the "My cup runneth over" on the princes letting me know a new disco ball just spawned somewhere.

Swag

So I accidently activated 2 of my accounts thinking that I was still RAF linked, if I called Blizzard would they refund me the 14.99 or am I stuck?

thatbox

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
You Levitate-wallwalk over from Tanaris, and you can get back behind AQ in an "Unknown" zone. You can tell when you're there because you aren't in a LocalDefense channel. You can't cast your flying mount here, but if you get summoned in on one (one of my buddies is a warlock and the other is a mage) you stay on it until you hit a LocalDefense channel and you can fly around exploring. There's some pretty crazy stuff back there.
Orbitcube said:
You can get into Hyjal with Levitate and I believe one way involving a multi-passenger mount, but you'll get a debuff called No Man's Land as soon as you zone in and will be ported out once the duration finishes. There is one way I remember reading that involved somehow tricking the game to think you're somewhere, but your body is in Darnassus and then there's a way to get up there, I'll try and find the video but it might not work anymore, so only try it if you have A LOT of time on your hand, it takes a while.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKxJHkabB4w&feature=player_embedded

Can't find the one I mentioned, but turns out the mount one doesn't give you No Man's Land, so that might be one way to do it.
Awesome, thanks!

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Has a date for Cataclysm been announced yet or is it still TBA? I'm buying a new laptop soon and would like to start playin' again but I'd rather wait til the new races are out.

Belfast

Puncture said:

Nah, it does. For a frost-magic-wielding BONE DRAGON it really does. I mean, it sounds like her shrill, cracking voice could shatter ice. Annoying? Yes. Fitting? Absolutely. Though she does talk an awful lot.

Want to hear some bad/weird VA, go listen to the Ruby Sanctum clips. Xerestrasza sounds like a goddam tranny.

J-Rzez

vitaminwateryum said:
Has a date for Cataclysm been announced yet or is it still TBA? I'm buying a new laptop soon and would like to start playin' again but I'd rather wait til the new races are out.

Nope, and in all actuality, it won't come out anytime soon. They'll probably push out SC2 much faster, and then Cata would be Sept/Oct/Nov i'm guessing. But personally I think they need to get it out in the summer. I don't think a mini-patch is going to hold over people with a tie-in raid, and the "skills revamp" patch won't hold over too long neither. The zone buff to ICC is going to trivialize it so much, pugs will be able to clear it with ease soon enough.

FLEABttn

Banned
Puncture said:
The only reason I dont mute the game completely is for the audible cue's in some of the boss fights. Like the "My cup runneth over" on the princes letting me know a new disco ball just spawned somewhere.

I'm on disco ball duty as well and I just look for them like crazy. Though there's a second hunter and a boomkin who look after them too in case.

I really hate the sound in WoW =|

Also, Sindragosa phase 3 is breaking my guilds balls. We've been working on it for like 3 weeks now with no progress in phase 3. Two frost beacons and we fall over dead.

Belfast

I honestly wish they'd get it out for the Summer. There's, historically, such a huuuuuuge lull in the game at that point. June-August is the time most guilds fall apart from inactivity. Cataclysm would totally counteract that!

I guess SC2 will have to do. :\

Angry Grimace

FLEABttn said:
I'm on disco ball duty as well and I just look for them like crazy. Though there's a second hunter and a boomkin who look after them too in case.

I really hate the sound in WoW =|

Also, Sindragosa phase 3 is breaking my guilds balls. We've been working on it for like 3 weeks now with no progress in phase 3. Two frost beacons and we fall over dead.
Doesn't DBM and BigWigs have their own noises for events? Because I have that and I just press Ctrl-S and it mutes game sound but not the add-on sounds.

Xabora

vitaminwateryum said:
Jan 2011, just like TBC.

Not really.

FLEABttn

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Doesn't DBM and BigWigs have their own noises for events? Because I have that and I just press Ctrl-S and it mutes game sound but not the add-on sounds.

I have BigWigs set for visual cues for most things. That not being one of them. Maybe there's an option for it but princes isn't is a fight we have difficulty on.

Also, if anyone knows the answer, when LoSing in phase 3 Sindragosa, what exactly are we LoSing against? Her head? Her entire body? What exactly?

mclem

FLEABttn said:
I have BigWigs set for visual cues for most things. That not being one of them. Maybe there's an option for it but princes isn't is a fight we have difficulty on.

Also, if anyone knows the answer, when LoSing in phase 3 Sindragosa, what exactly are we LoSing against? Her head? Her entire body? What exactly?

I believe it's her centre; the benchmark I use to determine it is to work based on the red circle.

Swag

Being behind the GS curve is so annoying, can't do any PUG ICC raids because they all want 5500+ GS

Can't do ToGC because they want 5200+, gearing up for new raids is so difficult, kinda putting me off levelling any alts :lol

Angry Grimace

I'm getting really tired of getting instances starting with "Halls of" for my daily. Halls of Lightning and Halls of Stone are fucking boring, and Halls of Reflection sucks because PUG tanks can't do anything right. I gained Aggro in HoR today, doing single target DPS on the focus target against a fucking paladin. Give me a fucking break. Paladin is the easiest tank class in the universe.

thatbox

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I'm getting really tired of getting instances starting with "Halls of" for my daily. Halls of Lightning and Halls of Stone are fucking boring, and Halls of Reflection sucks because PUG tanks can't do anything right. I gained Aggro in HoR today, doing single target DPS on the focus target against a fucking paladin. Give me a fucking break. Paladin is the easiest tank class in the universe.
You pulled aggro off the tank once in an instance that is notoriously difficult to tank and the tank is bad? Feign Death / Fade / Ice Block / Shield Wall / Evasion and get on with the heroic. Instances are a team sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom