• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I've probably played a good 5 months of Burning Crusade and 4 of Wrath. Definitely don't like what the game has become. But I too, was hoping Cataclysm would change things. I was thinking of transferring off my hunter off an RP server at some point, but I guess I'll wait it out.

NeOak

Lyphen said:
Mal'Ganis (17:1)

My server has a 2:1 Alliance to Horde ratio, yet as a Horde I have yet to find allies outside the cities.

For the Horde and For the Alliance are the everyday meal in my server IIRC.

I'm on Mannoroth.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lyphen said:
Oh, my poor brother. He wanted to join a PvP server in prep for Cataclysm, hoping there would be more world PvP now that it's back in Azeroth. So, he looked around for a high-pop PvP server that was Central/EST. Settled on Stormreaver, but I guess he didn't do all his research, because it turns out the Horde population is outnumbered 7:1 at level 80.

Why hasn't Blizzard taken any initiative to balance out PvP realm populations? I mean, I remember it being even worse at launch, but they haven't really put much effort into it. Looking at fanboy servers like Mal'Ganis (17:1) is kind of sad. Doesn't really promote what I used to think of as the best part of the game, 4 years ago.
Um they do. They give out free transfers off of certain server. What do you want them to do?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Um they do. They give out free transfers off of certain server. What do you want them to do?
voluntary transfers isn't cutting it

servers staying at 17k alliance at 1k horde is horrible.

merging servers is a suggestion.

everything needs to be forced into an at least 12k/12k split

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
voluntary transfers isn't cutting it

servers staying at 17k alliance at 1k horde is horrible.

merging servers is a suggestion.

everything needs to be forced into an at least 12k/12k split
Maybe they should delete some accounts while they are at it, no?

Forcing people to play on X server with X person is never, ever going to work. Never. Ever. Well, at least until the game is unpopular and they can't afford to run that many servers profitably.

Blizzard doesn't give two shits about competitive PvP balance, and they are totally right in doing so. Fuck that shit. It would an incredible business blunder to force anyone to play on a server they don't want to.

Fularu

Banned
Mal'Ganis isn't a fanboy server.. wtf.. We have Juggernaut, Elitist Jerks, Aftermath, Vigil (aurora/DT) and the most fucked up of all, the Goons.

MG is alive, filled with ninja, filled with hate and kicking.

ianswoody

NeOak said:
My server has a 2:1 Alliance to Horde ratio, yet as a Horde I have yet to find allies outside the cities.

For the Horde and For the Alliance are the everyday meal in my server IIRC.

I'm on Mannoroth.
Holler at me on Mannoroth! Rynaux is the name.

Rapstah

Did anyone know that the Talondeep Path (tunnel between Ashenvale and Stonetalon) was a physical on-land road in beta? I heard it from a friend and quickly went to wallwalk my way on top of the mountain range over the tunnel, large parts of the road there are actually left. Interests the shit out of me, I'll go see where the road would have ended in both zones.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Angry Grimace said:
Maybe they should delete some accounts while they are at it, no?

Forcing people to play on X server with X person is never, ever going to work. Never. Ever. Well, at least until the game is unpopular and they can't afford to run that many servers profitably.

Blizzard doesn't give two shits about competitive PvP balance, and they are totally right in doing so. Fuck that shit. It would an incredible business blunder to force anyone to play on a server they don't want to.
I'd like to see more faction-specific voluntary transfers and opposed to the mass dumping they used to do. And server-merges. My current main is on Steamwheedle, which is pretty balanced, but I know of a lot of servers that are underpopulated and imbalanced backwaters (mostly the ones introduced during Burning Crusade).

People used to be a lot more vocal about server balances and population back in 05-06, but I guess we all got used to the fact that Blizzard has no intention on fixing it. Or adding new dances. :lol

Fularu said:
Mal'Ganis isn't a fanboy server.. wtf.. We have Juggernaut, Elitist Jerks, Aftermath, Vigil (aurora/DT) and the most fucked up of all, the Goons.

That's what I mean. I accidentally didn't put in that Mal'Ganis was 17:1 in favour of Horde, but that's what the server is, fanboys constantly flocking Horde-side M'G to be with the big leagues. Comes out a bit offensive, but whatever.

firex

I'm still really waiting to play warlock and hunter until cataclysm. I look forward to how those classes are being redone. Plus, goblin hunter is going to be awesome. I'll have a pet bigger than I am.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
On Alleria, Horde side is really small compared to Alliance. We almost never have Wintergrasp, but at least it forces everyone to be a lot more civil. You never see raid pugs forming and asking for obscene gearscores. It's just, "Ya wanna do raid XYZ?" Some people say, "Sure" and off we go, and they've been working out surprisingly well, with a refreshing lack of nerd rage and stupidity. I guess there are some positives to being on a small server, then. Factionally speaking anyway.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Entropia said:
Are you proposing they do more realm conversions like they just did to Darrowmere?
Nah, not really. I don't really understand why they'd switch a PvP server to a PvE one, really. Merging low-pop PvP servers would have been better than completely ruining the main reason why current players would decide to roll on a server.

Pretty bitch move on Blizzard's part. Especially since in came right out of nowhere.

Edit: Merging has a lot of problems too, like different datacenters, not angering the population, etc. But I think it's a better solution. Merging servers together and offering a free transfer after 2 weeks to those who feel like can't adjust would be good (but I bet it wouldn't be loved by everyone). I don't know. It's complicated, but Darrowmere isn't an example to follow.

J-Rzez

mclem said:
Careful. You saw what happened to Wilfred Fizzlebang.

Well, he was quite a trifling (hmm, maybe he says something else, been a while) gnome, his arrogance was certainly his undoing.

Well, gunning for two more upgrades yet. Need a good trinket (Deathbringer's Will would be nice) and I guess i've been screwed waiting on a pants upgrade, so I'll finally make the craftable 264's.

As far as massive imbalances, yeah, they should fix them, but I'm sure they have to consider pop caps on the servers.

ONE last edit:

Bladestorming wars can now be disarmed. What a huge explosion of tears this has caused. Especially for an ability that they claim is garbage as is, for some reason.

ToddG15

Anyone else had major problems with cast/abilities/looting delay since Tuesday? I've never had any serious problems (except for when everyone else on the server has). I'm on Kil'Jaeden and none of my friends/guildies are having any problems but every 5-10 seconds my screen will freeze, I can still press buttons for my abilities and spells (basically create a mini queue) but the screen will basically hang for 5-10 seconds and then everything will catch up in super speed with all my abilities and casts springing to life. Then a another 5-10 seconds later, it'll happen again. It's really annoying the heck out me, as it's screwing with my dps and awareness fights. I tried removing the WTF, Cache and Interface folders and still not any better. I'm download a fresh version of wow atm and hoping that fixes the problem. I've checked all the port forwards on my router for wow and those are still good and I don't think it's a computer issue on my end as my computer isn't a slouch (about a year and a half old with a brand new graphics card). It's just strange that this problem is totally out of left field...

Yaweee

J-Rzez said:
Bladestorming wars can now be disarmed. What a huge explosion of tears this has caused. Especially for an ability that they claim is garbage as is, for some reason.

In 3v3 Arena, Bladestorming is like a giant flag that says, "hey guys, I can't use my defensive cooldowns, so if you switch targets to me I'll die". Unless the Warrior has some great dps backing him up, or we are being CC'ed succesfully, he's going to die.

Fularu said:

Are you sure EJ is still on the server? I haven't seen anyone with that guild tag running around in forever.

Yaweee

Epix said:
If you acquire a heroic (277) T10 token can you ugrade a 251 T10 piece or must you have the 264 T10?

You need the 264 piece. Kind of retarded, imo, as if you're doing heroic 25m you have no way to get the 264 tokens.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yaweee said:
You need the 264 piece. Kind of retarded, imo, as if you're doing heroic 25m you have no way to get the 264 tokens.

I think they wanted a natural progression path for the tiers. But now that I think about it... a lot of people probably never got their 264 tokens to drop and now they're working on the Heroic 25 bosses. :lol

Milpool

Been in HoR 4 times today, not completed it once. Someone always leaves after the first boss, sometimes before if more than one person will be rolling on the tanking cape. I'm never gonna get the Crypt Fiend Slayer.

Fularu

Banned
Azwethinkweiz said:
Are you sure EJ is still on the server? I haven't seen anyone with that guild tag running around in forever.

I pug with them all the time. They just keep to themselves.

Yaweee said:

Heroic bosses drop two 264 tokens and one 277 token. Don't worry, the system isn't retarded *at all*

Angry Grimace

Milpool said:
Been in HoR 4 times today, not completed it once. Someone always leaves after the first boss, sometimes before if more than one person will be rolling on the tanking cape. I'm never gonna get the Crypt Fiend Slayer.
There's a better crossbow in H PoS, and H PoS is easy.

Angry Grimace

Entropia said:
I think they wanted a natural progression path for the tiers. But now that I think about it... a lot of people probably never got their 264 tokens to drop and now they're working on the Heroic 25 bosses. :lol
They really should have stuck with the ToC system for Hard Mode tier gear imo. What a pain in the ass.

joelseph

Fularu said:

Jug was on Doomhammer for years, MG is a total fanboy server.

AstroMan

Banned
Bisnic said:
Redridge is east of Elwynn Forest, which is south of Stormwind, so yeah.

But going from Redridge to Duskwood to STV, you might not have enough yellow quests. STV sucks before lvl 30, and Redridge + Duskwood wont have enough quests for 20 to 30, so try to do some instances while questing to help. Or you can still go to Wetlands when in the lvl 22-28 range, but that's a long walk from Ironforge, but once you get the flightpath there, it takes 2 mins to reach from Ironforge. Westfall(west of Elwynn Forest) might have some green & yellow quests at 20 if you go there too, but dont wait too long before going there. There's also Ashenvale, but that's on the other continent, so it kinda sucks.

Thanks for the information. I'm in Duskwood right now and I think I'm doing pretty well for myself in terms of leveling. I think I'll come close to hitting level 30 but if I don't I'll be sure to check out some other areas. It's pretty hard to get a group going on this sever (at least, at this level) so Ive only been able to do the quests which can be accomplished solo. Thankfully, I'm a hunter so I'm able to hold my own most of the time.

Speaking of hunters, can anyone recommend some good add-ons that'll make me a more efficient hunter? Perhaps some reading material or some video's I should watch as well? I like to think I'm doing pretty well but there's always room for improvement and I want to be prepared for more difficult quests and hopefully instances. Should I be using traps? I really haven't found them to be useful at all.

J-Rzez

Fularu said:
I pug with them all the time. They just keep to themselves.

LOL

I have to ask what it's like to play with them. Do they kick you if you don't pre-pot the pull or don't get off your rotation to perfection?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
J-Rzez said:
LOL

I have to ask what it's like to play with them. Do they kick you if you don't pre-pot the pull or don't get off your rotation to perfection?

It's funny that they're "elitist jerks" when I haven't seen them ever get an NA first kill.

J-Rzez

LAUGHTREY said:
It's funny that they're "elitist jerks" when I haven't seen them ever get an NA first kill.

How could you when you play the spread sheet game more than the real game itself? I bet they have the most time logged in beating on training dummies though. :D

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
J-Rzez said:
How could you when you play the spread sheet game more than the real game itself? I bet they have the most time logged in beating on training dummies though. :D

Most time spent in Excel. 50 points.

With all the stat changes, and basically recreating talents, everything from level power flow, to gear is going to be affected.
I think many things in Cata will be initially broken, because of all the changes. But I hope it will be for the good of the game. I could just imagine many people will be complaining because not everything will work as intended from the get-go.

Something I have learned from MMO's in the past, is never to be upset or care about the power of a class. FOTM is just a fluke in the long term, and the class being overpowered/underpowered will rotate as long as the game is going.
Of course I too am one of those players that gets facerolled by Paladins daily, and instantly, but honestly... It does not matter. Just play, and try to have fun.

yacobod

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:

what a stupid post, most of the contributer's to the EJ forums are not members of the guild, but the forum itself is a valuable tool to the game's community, the spreadsheets and other discussions there are only to players benefit

and i guess being a top 25-50 guild is bad

VaLiancY

A lot of good men and women sat behind a spreadsheet so I wouldn't have to. I raise my glass of orange juice and raisin bagel to those armchair warriors.

Wrekt

LAUGHTREY said:
EJ has been around since launch. They were the best guild on Mal'Ganis for years and if I'm not mistaken, I believe they got the world first for General Drakkisath. Being the best guild on the most popular server in the game should afford them an egotistical name, even though their name had nothing to do with killing npcs.

And who even gives a shit about world firsts? Who cares if some Euro guild killed mobs a hour before they did? It's not like they wait for bosskillers.com to release strats for them. :lol

firex

LAUGHTREY said:
They had that name for the most part since WoW beta, although they were part of the SA guild anyway. I still remember tons of people from goon squad posting on beta forums with the "Yes I'm an elitist jerk" signature.

Fularu

Banned
joelseph said:
Jug was on Doomhammer for years, MG is a total fanboy server.

Jug rerolled PVE ->PVP after killing M'uru (Jug 2).

MG is hands down the best horde PVE server right before Illidan. End of story. You want to comepte and show off, as horde? You do it on one of those two.

J-Rzez said:
LOL

Since we pug through EJB, we don't have to put up with people not knowing how to play. Does that answer your question? And no, no one cares about random daily. Not enough to cry about it anyway

Tamanon

Banned
PC Gamer/UK Cataclysm info from MMO-Champ:

Warchief of the Horde
Thrall will become the next Guardian of Tirisfal. However, Thrall will merely 'leave Garrosh in charge' though this does not stop Garrosh from declaring war on the Alliance and fortifying Horde outposts and cities.

Inner-Horde relations
After assuming command of the Horde, Garrosh labels Cairne a traitor and executes the Tauren Leader. However, this does not seem to be the end of his involvement in Cataclysm and his seeming demise is linked to the greener, lusher Desolace.
Garrosh will throw out most of the Blood Elves and Forsaken from Orgrimmar.

Deepholme
It is possible that the Alliance and Horde will be involved in a major battle within Deepholm.
Airships will battle in the gigantic caverns al a Icecrown style.
The area will also cater for flying mounts.

Raids and Dungeons
Cataclysm will ship with 8 Heroic Dungeons (not including Deadmines and Shadowfang) and 4 Raid encounters.
The Skywall will contain a raid with Al'Akir as the end boss.
Grim Batol and Uldum raid will patched in post-launch.

Other
Harrison Jones has returned with his friends and is linked to the Archaeology profession.
One of the new features included in the guild interface/mechanics system is a Looking For Guild function.

:( at the bolded.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'm just saying, if they want to be elitist jerks they should at least be elite at something more than math and making people pay money to play with you.

Retro

Tamanon said:
PC Gamer/UK Cataclysm info from MMO-Champ

Yes, but the part immediately afterwords implies that he'll live on somehow, probably as some kind of spirit or maybe reincarnated somehow.

That does suck though; since I'll probably be rolling Paladin Number Six (well, the sixth past 60, at least) as a moocow, I've been kind of noticing them in the game more and actually paying attention to their lore. So it sucks to see these peaceful cowfolk losing their leader because of some young upstart.

All of these changes within the Horde make me kinda not want to play them. Don't get me wrong, I don't sit around and bitch about the Lore, but... it still has some impact. That said, the Alliance also has a brat for a leader too, so I guess it balances things out.

Macattk15

LAUGHTREY said:
I'm just saying, if they want to be elitist jerks they should at least be elite at something more than math and making people pay money to play with you.

Ok, but what you are describing there is exactly what their name entails ... they are being Elitist Jerks. Just because you don't get world first kills doesn't mean you cannot be Elitist and expect everyone to perform to their best ability and be pissed when they don't.

Why are you surprised?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom