• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

yacobod

Banned
im going to disagree with some of the ppl, if you want to get the most out of the game i would suggest joining a high population server, more ppl, more grps, more pugs that can actually kill content if you dont want to join a raiding guild, tons of raiding guilds to pick from, a more healthy auction house, if pvp is your game there are is a larger grp of ppl to find partners for arena etc

the good far outweigh the bad, i.e. server ques and lag on tuesdays & wed

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm just kinda pist because the realm I signed up for has a "medium" population, but I want one that has a lot of people (so a "high" population).

Seriously, wait until you're level 80 before deciding you really want to be on a different realm. When you're leveling the server's always gonna seem barren, the real action doesn't start until 80/Northrend/Dalaran.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Grampasso said:
Joke post?

Angry Grimace trolls me in this thread because I once told a DK that pets don't automatically switch targets, after a few posts they realized that the pets switch because they had it macro'd into their attacks. So I was right, yet still a dickhole for trying to correct someone. Almost every time I post he makes it a point to respond at me for some reason even though I have him on ignore.

My main is a paladin that's mostly ret/prot but I recently went holy as my offspec. The holy pally in my guild told me that for the most part it's better to gem sockets for +7 SP. That's only true if you're a flash of light kinda guy. If you're HL then it's 100% 20int gems. I found this out just now so it's all personal preference.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
LAUGHTREY said:
Angry Grimace trolls me in this thread because I once told a DK that pets don't automatically switch targets, after a few posts they realized that the pets switch because they had it macro'd into their attacks. So I was right, yet still a dickhole for trying to correct someone. Almost every time I post he makes it a point to respond at me for some reason even though I have him on ignore.

My main is a paladin that's mostly ret/prot but I recently went holy as my offspec. The holy pally in my guild told me that for the most part it's better to gem sockets for +7 SP. That's only true if you're a flash of light kinda guy. If you're HL then it's 100% 20int gems. I found this out just now so it's all personal preference.
No, it's because you're an annoying asshole in general who only really posts to bitch about other players that you don't play with; i.e. you just criticized that guy with information you obtained, "from a guy."

The fact that your posts outside on the rest of GAF show a certain prediliction towards annoying assholishness doesn't help either. As for, "I have him on ignore," everyone who has anyone on ignore, just clicks "show post" anyways. All it does it make it so you can't respond without looking foolish.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Freyjadour said:
Patch 3.9?

Dear lord I hope that is a typo.
Why would it be?

They're referring to the "pre-Cataclysm" events; it's probably "3.9." as opposed to 4.0 because they won't have put in the talent reshuffles and such, just some pre-Cataclysm story events. 4.0.1 or .2 will be Cataclsym revamps that everyone in game will get, and then the actual expansion game will have another patch.

Seems a little strange to me; I wasn't aware that Gnomeregan was some huge part of Blizzard's plans.

Angry Grimace said:
Why would it be?

They're referring to the "pre-Cataclysm" events; it's probably "3.9." as opposed to 4.0 because they won't have put in the talent reshuffles and such, just some pre-Cataclysm story events. 4.0.1 or .2 will be Cataclsym revamps that everyone in game will get, and then the actual expansion game will have another patch.

Seems a little strange to me; I wasn't aware that Gnomeregan was some huge part of Blizzard's plans.

They've never done pre-Expac patches like that before have they? The last BC patch was 2.4. Suppose you could be right, dunno.

Angry Grimace

Freyjadour said:
They've never done pre-Expac patches like that before have they? The last BC patch was 2.4. Suppose you could be right, dunno.
They did 3.0.2, which had the Zombie Invasion event and I think they had a BC one too.

3.0.2 included the Wrath talent shake ups and 51 pts. talents though, but the difference was significantly less substantial because adding mastery and such in requires that they reitemize pretty much every piece of gear. I'm thinking this is something similar in terms of the World Event, but not all the Cataclysm changes.

FLEABttn said:
Yeah, we're on Sindragosa as well. 3 weekends of a bad strat and people not paying attention followed by a weekend of raiding canceled cause of GDC and I'm just not feeling it anymore. It'll come back for the expac, but after LK dies, I'm probably going to take a hiatus to charge my batteries.

Plus I haven't sat down and had a console marathon since like 2003, which was fueled by this disinterest. Which then fuels the disinterest more. I'm playing shit out of back backlog years old.

Our raid night was canceled last night, not enough dps or healers showed up. Guild leader has quickly added some new folks, and is still looking for more. My opinion: why would anyone join a 10 man guild where they probably won't have a chance to raid. We just need 1-3 people, and even then some people will be left out. I just tell people to join a guild that has multiple 10 mans or a 25 man guild; with Blizz buffing ICC it's not hard to make decent progress.

Angry Grimace said:
They did 3.0.2, which had the Zombie Invasion event and I think they had a BC one too.

3.0.2 included the Wrath talent shake ups and 51 pts. talents though, but the difference was significantly less substantial because adding mastery and such in requires that they reitemize pretty much every piece of gear. I'm thinking this is something similar in terms of the World Event, but not all the Cataclysm changes.

My memory is bad this afternoon.

Still though, I'd rather something like 3.4 or 3.5 to give us an idea of how long they plan on spreading Wrath thin. I suppose that's the point of 3.9 though eh? Blah.

The Lamonster said:
So what are the current best guesses as to when Cata will drop?

I'm not keeping up with things as much as I used to, but I guessed last year that we'd see Blizzcon again before they even dropped hints on a release date for Cata. Seeing as we still have 3.3.3, 3.3.4, and 3.3.5 (Ruby Sanctum?) before 3.9 and 4.0 as well as plenty of ICC nerf buff increases, who knows.

Freyjadour said:
I'm not keeping up with things as much as I used to, but I guessed last year that we'd see Blizzcon again before they even dropped hints on a release date for Cata. Seeing as we still have 3.3.3, 3.3.4, and 3.3.5 (Ruby Sanctum?) before 3.9 and 4.0 as well as plenty of ICC nerf buff increases, who knows.
Goddam. Hope its not as late as November...

Angry Grimace

HarryDemeanor said:
I just hope this means we're getting closer to the launch of the Cataclysm alpha test. All I want is more videos of the zone changes!
I'm pretty sure it's already in Alpha. Alpha's are all internal.

Some people are speculating that Cata is being hold back to counter SWTOR.

I am not sure if that is needed but on the other hand;

1)Bioware is really on a positive role as of late.

2)WoW will be 6 years coming this november. Seriously beginning to show age?

3)The China situation might mean, that Blizzard can't relie that much on Asia as a permenent income. Particularly now when Aion is during it's successful march in Asia(Aion has like, 3 million subscribers over there), and with TERA and Blade and Soul on the horizon... Yeah.

Or maybe it just won't matter. Gazillions of people still play stuff like Runescape and Maple Story. All other games might be irelevent in the grand scheme of things for many players.

Belfast

Last year, they said wed see it before the next blizzcon. If its in late october, I can see that happening. If its really in Vegas in july, then it would pretty much have to go into beta at the beginning of april. As muuch as id love for that to happen, I'm still hoping it isn't too late in the fall. :/

I just had an interesting discussion on the WoW-Europe boards, about the possibility of WoW having a third faction.

1)It is mentioned in PC Player, that Garrosh will throw almost all of the Undead and Blood Elfs out of Orgrimmar.

2)We have known for years from the Undead intro, that the Undead are only using the Horde to further their own goals and power. now the Lich King is dead. What initiative is left for them to stay with the Horde? Particularly now when they are almost thrown out of the Capital of the Horde.

3)Warcraft 3, worked well with the three factions, and DaoC proved that 1 vs 1 vs 1 Faction(RvR) can work as well.

4)If the Forsaken broke free from the Horde, it would make sense, that the other races that would just the Forsaken Faction, would be Undead versions of the other classes. Undead Orcs, Undead Trolls, Undead Dwarfs, Undead Elfs... Kinda like with Death Knights. It would be easy to take the current races, and just make Undead versions of them. That would be the quickest way to make an entire new faction.

It's far fedged, but on the other hand, it really makes sense Lore wise. Blizzard would allow Undeads to either remain Horde and change to a different race, or go to this new faction with Undercity as it's capital!?

Belfast said:
Last year, they said wed see it before the next blizzcon. If its in late october, I can see that happening. If its really in Vegas in july, then it would pretty much have to go into beta at the beginning of april. As muuch as id love for that to happen, I'm still hoping it isn't too late in the fall. :/

Fall makes sense in a way though. People coming back to gaming after the summer draught. School has started up for young hipsters, and vacation is over for everybody.

Rapstah

No Man's Land is still in effect, sadly, but I stood in the mountains overlooking Hyjal looking down for a while while the game said I was in Felwood. Not worth the 35 minute Levitate walk up the mountain side :lol

firex

Vigilant Walrus said:
I just had an interesting discussion on the WoW-Europe boards, about the possibility of WoW having a third faction.

1)It is mentioned in PC Player, that Garrosh will throw almost all of the Undead and Blood Elfs out of Orgrimmar.

2)We have known for years from the Undead intro, that the Undead are only using the Horde to further their own goals and power. now the Lich King is dead. What initiative is left for them to stay with the Horde? Particularly now when they are almost thrown out of the Capital of the Horde.

3)Warcraft 3, worked well with the three factions, and DaoC proved that 1 vs 1 vs 1 Faction(RvR) can work as well.

4)If the Forsaken broke free from the Horde, it would make sense, that the other races that would just the Forsaken Faction, would be Undead versions of the other classes. Undead Orcs, Undead Trolls, Undead Dwarfs, Undead Elfs... Kinda like with Death Knights. It would be easy to take the current races, and just make Undead versions of them. That would be the quickest way to make an entire new faction.

It's far fedged, but on the other hand, it really makes sense Lore wise. Blizzard would allow Undeads to either remain Horde and change to a different race, or go to this new faction with Undercity as it's capital!?
At this point it's not likely at all because then you are fucking up everyone who's been playing undead before.

As far as best guesses on release date, I think it's going to be November. Probably means SC2 comes out sooner.

Angry Grimace said:
I'm pretty sure it's already in Alpha. Alpha's are all internal.

Well I meant the Friends and Family alpha test. If Cataclysm is coming out in the fall as everyone says then I guess we'll see the beta sometime in late June/early July.

I forgot when the F&F alpha test for Wrath started. Wasn't it in early May or late April?

FLEABttn

Banned
HarryDemeanor said:
I forgot when the F&F alpha test for Wrath started. Wasn't it in early May or late April?

Around then, yes.

It's unlikely to be in F&F Alpha unless they heavily restricted how many people got keys and they limited where they could log in from. I got in F&F about a week after it started or so and while there were maybe only 20-30 people on the server at a time, the alpha info was leaked basically day 1.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Some people are speculating that Cata is being hold back to counter SWTOR.

I am not sure if that is needed but on the other hand;

1)Bioware is really on a positive role as of late.

2)WoW will be 6 years coming this november. Seriously beginning to show age?

3)The China situation might mean, that Blizzard can't relie that much on Asia as a permenent income. Particularly now when Aion is during it's successful march in Asia(Aion has like, 3 million subscribers over there), and with TERA and Blade and Soul on the horizon... Yeah.

Or maybe it just won't matter. Gazillions of people still play stuff like Runescape and Maple Story. All other games might be irelevent in the grand scheme of things for many players.

I dunno. Bioware makes some great single player games, but their decisions with TOR leave me anything but hopeful. The only real concerning one of that list is the China situation, otherwise WoW is still going strong. It's kind of sad, but as soon as WoW starts really dipping I imagine we'll see Blizzard announce this super secret MMO and work on getting everyone over there.

Either way, if Blizzcon is October that'll be the release date announcement, otherwise we'll probably just hear more info with some sort of vague "soon". Blizzard has supposedly been working at the whole "1 Expansion Per Year" idea, but I imagine that 2 is where we'll sit until it's last few gasps.

firex

Oh yeah, I wanted to comment on SWTOR too. I was hyped and liked the Mass Effect dialogue sequences, but the videos they had of the gameplay looked... awful. Like, stuck in a time warp between EQ1 and all the other shitty MMOs that came out between it and WoW. And, I mean, let's be real here. Bioware isn't going to give us a game where you can progress entirely through noncombat means, and they love combat in their single player RPGs already. So if they don't have awesome mechanics for more classes besides what I've seen (bounty hunter, sith warrior, smuggler) then I personally don't think I will enjoy the game.

firex said:
Oh yeah, I wanted to comment on SWTOR too. I was hyped and liked the Mass Effect dialogue sequences, but the videos they had of the gameplay looked... awful. Like, stuck in a time warp between EQ1 and all the other shitty MMOs that came out between it and WoW. And, I mean, let's be real here. Bioware isn't going to give us a game where you can progress entirely through noncombat means, and they love combat in their single player RPGs already. So if they don't have awesome mechanics for more classes besides what I've seen (bounty hunter, sith warrior, smuggler) then I personally don't think I will enjoy the game.

Smuggler threw a flag for me. What the hell does Cover do for a party/raid environment? Just grab the Bounty Hunter.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Speaking of 3 fractions... and in consideration of neutral fractions with various races... It'd at least be awesome to defect into Alliance, Horde, or a Neutral.

DeathNote said:
Speaking of 3 fractions... and in consideration of neutral fractions with various races... It'd at least be awesome to defect into Alliance, Horde, or a Neutral.

Hahaha, yea this shit is never happening. I swear you guys are talking like Nintendo fans before the wii was announced.

I don't think they'll have 3 factions in WoW, especially not by splitting up the Horde. You'd be splitting up guilds and friends and just fucking shit up as far as PVP balance goes. In Warcraft 4? Yeah, they can do whatever the hell they want with the story then.

As far as a Cataclysm release date goes, I'm thinking sometime in Sept. November at the latest.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Hahaha, yea this shit is never happening. I swear you guys are talking like Nintendo fans before the wii was announced.
Uh, how exactly am I talking like a Nintendo fan before the Wii was announced? The closest thing I can think of is mixing franchises on the system.. and.. wait for it.. they did that with Smash Bros.

Over anal people like you said there woud never be fraction changes years ago as well.

By the way, there's more transsexuals for you to stupidly make fun of and hurt their feelings on the OT side. In the pics thread and even the official thread.

Narag

DeathNote said:

DeathNote said:
Uh, how exactly am I talking like a Nintendo fan before the Wii was announced? The closest thing I can think of is mixing franchises on the system.. and.. wait for it.. they did that with Smash Bros.

Over anal people like you said there woud never be fraction changes years ago as well.

By the way, there's more transsexuals for you to stupidly make fun of and hurt their feelings on the OT side. In the pics thread and even the official thread.

gah

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Narag said:
that's the only input you have?

oh fuck me for making a typo at 4:46 am in the morning with 48 hours of no sleep

guess what? i've wrote my name wrong a few times when getting items shipped to my address. gasp.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Vigilant Walrus said:

This idea has been churning around since vanilla with the Forsaken quest in Hillsbrad Foothills where you rescue an "exile" who has run off from the Apothecary carrying some sort of "plague". Sylvannas herself requested this guy, or from what I can remember.

Another silly rumour was that an Old God was underneath the vacant land to the west of the Tirisfal Glades and that the Dark Lady has managed to empower it somehow.

However everything was and is unlikely. It'd screw around way too many players and the people who get the lower end of the stick is the Horde who have copped enough grief within the first year or so of play with faction imbalances, let alone turning Battlegrounds into a logical and programming nightmare i.e. why should an Forsaken/Blood Elf player help the Warsong in WSG?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just started playing this game again and man oh man...the PVE content is as solid as ever.

Dungeon Finder is amazing.
ICC boss fights are well designed and fun (rocket pack pirate ship raiding anyone?!)
Loot is accessible as ever (raiding, badges, PVP...)

Every time I try and play another MMO, they just never hold a candle to Blizzard. Freaking awesome.

Last night I did my first ICC25 with a pug, and luckily rolled on the Bryntroll that dropped and it IS MINE NOW! MUHAHAH!

Finally have a semi-respectable gearscore of 5150 now.

...speaking of gearscore, that's really my only gripe with the new WoW that I've returned to. People are overly restrictive about gearscore when it comes to end game content. Yes, I get that having a higher gearscore traditionally means more experience and better efficiency, but that shouldn't be the be-all-end-all metric by which people are allowed into content. I spent my entire first couple months back gearing up properly so I'd even get invites from pug groups...so I could gear up for my guild runs.

I get it, and it's not entirely evil, but it is slightly unfair. Not sure I could come up with anything better, but it is a bit abrasive to fresh folks.

Grampasso

LAUGHTREY said:
Actually, FoL centric build should gem SP matching SP sockets depending on the number of gems. Some items with 3 sockets who don't have at least 2 red sockets shoud just be socketed with 23 SP ignoring bonus. Reach 676 haste for softcap, then only crit, no need of MP5. FoL builds can also go for the holy/ret spec for the +5%/8% crit, though that was a spec used a while back and not so useful right now. Glyphs are also different, Light instead of Wisdom and FoL crit instead of Divinity.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
RubxQub said:
Just started playing this game again and man oh man...the PVE content is as solid as ever.

Dungeon Finder is amazing.
ICC boss fights are well designed and fun (rocket pack pirate ship raiding anyone?!)
Loot is accessible as ever (raiding, badges, PVP...)

Every time I try and play another MMO, they just never hold a candle to Blizzard. Freaking awesome.

Last night I did my first ICC25 with a pug, and luckily rolled on the Bryntroll that dropped and it IS MINE NOW! MUHAHAH!

Finally have a semi-respectable gearscore of 5150 now.

...speaking of gearscore, that's really my only gripe with the new WoW that I've returned to. People are overly restrictive about gearscore when it comes to end game content. Yes, I get that having a higher gearscore traditionally means more experience and better efficiency, but that shouldn't be the be-all-end-all metric by which people are allowed into content. I spent my entire first couple months back gearing up properly so I'd even get invites from pug groups...so I could gear up for my guild runs.

I get it, and it's not entirely evil, but it is slightly unfair. Not sure I could come up with anything better, but it is a bit abrasive to fresh folks.

I would stay away from people who care about gearscore as much as you can. I've seen too many people who are the best geared on my server as terrible and some who are no where near fully ICC geared blow other people out of the water.

There's a paladin healer in my old guild that only goes for items which up her gear score, that's all she cared about and she was #1 for a while, but also terrible at everything.

It's a completely broken and retarded system that's been there forever, and only now for some reason to people care about it.

Askani

RubxQub said:

I HATE HATE HATE gearscore snobs. I joined a random the other day and we got CoS. We had a healer Paladin with a GS of like 5500 or something. What's the first comment in /party from him?

"Oh great, have to carry a n00b tank."

The tank was in blues and had a low GS. He linked his 80 achievement...had hit 80 two days ago, and after the Paladin saw it, he still talked shit on him. "I don't waste my heals carrying people" and "Hope you can survive without my heals". Someone called him a gearscore d-bag. We get to about the midpoint after you go through the inn. Everyone is standing by the exit fighting a small group of zombies, and the Paladin runs out, aggros the whole alley, bubble hearths or whatever the ability is, and brings all of the mobs back to where the party is waiting.

"Enjoy the repair bills from a gearscore d-bag! lawlz!" Then, after everyone (except me because of Feign Death) was dead, he kept engaging zombies and was "In Combat" so we couldn't vote kick him.

The random dungeon finder purposely puts people with high gearscore and low gearscores together to help out. It's known process of the tool. If that is your attitude, why would you ever run a random?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
LAUGHTREY said:
I would stay away from people who care about gearscore as much as you can. I've seen too many people who are the best geared on my server as terrible and some who are no where near fully ICC geared blow other people out of the water.

There's a paladin healer in my old guild that only goes for items which up her gear score, that's all she cared about and she was #1 for a while, but also terrible at everything.

It's a completely broken and retarded system that's been there forever, and only now for some reason to people care about it.
Back when I used to play, there wasn't an add-on that translated ilvl to gearscore, so there wasn't a single stamp on a player that showed their GS. Always there but never really focused on.

I do get the point of it as I said, but like you said, some folks just take that as the end-all, be-all metric for acceptance.

By excluding folks with lower gearscores, you're basically creating a system where the rich get richer and the poor suffer as a result.

We brought a 4250 GS priest with us on a TOC10 run and by the end of the run the dude was probably 4750 :lol

Askani

I was bitching about gearscore elitists and forgot the other thing I was going to post.

Does anyone have problems with getting "Disconnected from Server" or WoW crashes or complete BSoD while doing randoms? It happens about 30-40% of the time I try to run one and it's becoming a real problem. I have no idea what's going on. The game doesn't crash anyplace else either, only in randoms. I've done VoA 25 man, TotC 25 man without problems. Even ran ICC 25 with my guild and got all the way to Rotface/Festergut with no problems or issues at all.

I don't know if it's a problem with me and the instance server, the fact that it's random and the instance server, or if I have addon issues. All I do know is that I have to get it fixed before I dropkick something.

Askani said:
I was bitching about gearscore elitists and forgot the other thing I was going to post.

Does anyone have problems with getting "Disconnected from Server" or WoW crashes or complete BSoD while doing randoms? It happens about 30-40% of the time I try to run one and it's becoming a real problem. I have no idea what's going on. The game doesn't crash anyplace else either, only in randoms. I've done VoA 25 man, TotC 25 man without problems. Even ran ICC 25 with my guild and got all the way to Rotface/Festergut with no problems or issues at all.

I don't know if it's a problem with me and the instance server, the fact that it's random and the instance server, or if I have addon issues. All I do know is that I have to get it fixed before I dropkick something.

I had that same problem after maintenance finished. Seems to have stopped since then though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Askani said:

It's probably your computer, i never had WoW crash or getting BSoDs, the only time i get disconnected, is because of my crappy wireless router.

And, thankfully, i have yet to meet those infamous Gearscore douchebags in my heroics pugs. But people below 3k are so rare anyway, and most of the time they are DPS and no one cares. Never had a group with 2 or 3 DPS with like 2.6k Gearscore so far, that should be interesting, especially if the tank or healer have like 5.6k and is some carried kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom