• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

thatbox said:
Blue one is a rare drop from the guy you shoot with harpoons in one of the UP/UK heroics. The Ulduar-10 hardmode one isn't too difficult now depending on your guild, and is 310% speed.
Okay, let's just theorize my highest levelled character would be a level 75 Priest. If that were the case, what would be the easiest-to-get Proto-drake? :+

notworksafe

Alex said:
Oh, well my problem is that I have a maxed one that I usually raise to cap first, get into a set of raid gear, THEN decide I'm sick of it. :lol

I think it's just that Paladin is designed in such a way that the previews and quirks for them always seem more exciting and substantial.
Have you just tried DPS? I love my paladin, but I'm not a fan of Retribution. I just think it's kinda boring.

Rapstah said:
Okay, let's just theorize my highest levelled character would be a level 75 Priest. If that were the case, what would be the easiest-to-get Proto-drake? :+
Depends what you mean by "easiest". There's one you can get just by buying an egg from the Oracles (Sholazar Basin reputation faction.. But it takes a week to hatch and there's a low chance of it dropping. It doesn't require you to be 80, unlike the others. There's also the Time-Lost Proto...but good luck on that.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Proto-dragon#As_a_flying_Mount

Oh I forgot the Violet Proto. That's a 310% speed mount and requires no raiding, but you have to get all the holiday achievements so it takes a year to get.

Rapstah

Yep, Time-Lost or Violet for me since I just got Noble Gardener and no one gives a shit about that rare spawn.

Fuck my life, EU servers down!

notworksafe

Rapstah said:
Yep, Time-Lost or Violet for me since I just got Noble Gardener and no one gives a shit about that rare spawn.

Fuck my life, EU servers down!

I'm transferring to your server! It's still camped day and night over on Area 52-US. The green is worth a shot as well. I have the red one (coolest looking imo) and I still buy the egg every week.

Rapstah

notworksafe said:
I'm transferring to your server! It's still camped day and night over on Area 52-US.
I'm on EU servers!

trololo.gif

Fularu

Banned
notworksafe said:
I don't blame you for quitting. Paladin has one or two moves (judgement+autoattack) until about level 20 or so. Most boring class to start with ever.

Taunt + judgement usually kills the mob before your second auto attack swing. Compare this with... Nothing for warriors? It's rend and Heroic strike till you get berserker stance and can whirlwind :p (I need to check when overpower becomes available, but that'S hardly game changing :p)

arhra

Fularu said:
Taunt + judgement usually kills the mob before your second auto attack swing. Compare this with... Nothing for warriors? It's rend and Heroic strike till you get berserker stance and can whirlwind :p (I need to check when overpower becomes available, but that'S hardly game changing :p)
Victory Rush is level 6 now. Plus you get to charge around, which is just awesome.

mclem

Rapstah said:
What's the easiest-to-get Proto-Drake mount? I'm jealous of all those jerks walking around with their bad ass looking mounts in the Dalaran landing zone.

In terms of difficulty, Violet, but it takes a year's work to get it (It's the "What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been" reward). In terms of difficulty *combined* with speed, the red proto can be got easily if a group's willing to help out.

Alex

Red Proto is 280 isnt it? And Violet is 310?

That new RAF mount is a 310, double seater... Man whenever I go back, I totally want that thing. Argh.

Jrmint

Alex said:
Red Proto is 280 isnt it? And Violet is 310?

That new RAF mount is a 310, double seater... Man whenever I go back, I totally want that thing. Argh.
I don't think that is true. It said it is scalable (sp?) to 310% But not 310 just for having it.

My God all these Cataclysm class previews are making me want this expansion NOW. Anyone else feeling this way?

Alex

Skel said:
I don't think that is true. It said it is scalable (sp?) to 310% But not 310 just for having it.

My God all these Cataclysm class previews are making me want this expansion NOW. Anyone else feeling this way?

I'm sure they make everyone feel that way. It's no fun to be stuck in the fumes of an expansion that's more or less over when all the new, shiny shit is on the horizon.

Hopefully beta begins soon. Although it is a little fun to go read the TEMPER TANTRUMS, outright fucking fits being thrown over on the official boards over vague, random, pre-beta information.

I desperately hope that a lot of these posters are not adults.

notworksafe said:
I'm transferring to your server! It's still camped day and night over on Area 52-US. The green is worth a shot as well. I have the red one (coolest looking imo) and I still buy the egg every week.
:lol I got mine the first week of lichking. Flew over top of me while I was leveling. Now I dont play anymore :(

I was thinking of coming back for cataclysm but my main is a rogue and meh, and my other 80 is a shaman and now I wont have to raid because mages get bloodlust and do more damage. SO, looks like the only option is elemental pvp!
I got 2000 last season in 3's :D (But i hear they are nerfing burst pvp so elemental pvp will be pointless :()

Xabora

Skel said:
Wow.com recently posted that press invites had been sent out last week or this week (forget which).

So it is seeming very soon!
Last week actually.

Now the wait begins, but I have a feeling Beta wont start up until the 16th passes.

Jrmint

Xabora said:
Last week actually.

Now the wait begins, but I have a feeling Beta wont start up until the 16th passes.
What happens on the 16th?

Also MMO Champion is saying Beta by the end of April, and they are usually pretty accurate on their information. Remember they had all the details on Cata before Blizzcon.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm not going to lie, I'm actually more interested in the new old world content and Archaeology than the new zones:/ I think it's because I level SO many alts.

Jrmint

Tamanon said:
I'm not going to lie, I'm actually more interested in the new old world content and Archaeology than the new zones:/ I think it's because I level SO many alts.
I know what you mean. I wouldn't say more excited. But I'm definitely just as excited for seeing the old world redone as I am for seeing all the new zones and raids, etc.

moojito

A lot of people I've spoken to seem to share the vibe with me that this is the last expansion. A whole lot of people I know aren't planning on staying much longer than the release of it, if they plan to get it at all.

I wonder what could possibly be next after this deathwing business?

moojito said:
A lot of people I've spoken to seem to share the vibe with me that this is the last expansion. A whole lot of people I know aren't planning on staying much longer than the release of it, if they plan to get it at all.

I wonder what could possibly be next after this deathwing business?

The last expansion? :lol WoW is going to keep going and going just like Everquest. Wether or not 12 million people keep on playing it is another matter. With Star Wars TOR and Blizzard's own SCII, Diablo III, Battlenet, and their new MMO coming out in the next few years, I'm finding it hard to see WOW staying on top.

After Cataclysm there's a few possibilities depending on what's actually in Cataclysm. For example; the Elemental Plane, the Emerald Dream, the Maelstrom, and maybe something in another galaxy fighting the Burning Legion on their turf.

Retro

Oni Link 666 said:
The last expansion? :lol WoW is going to keep going and going just like Everquest. Wether or not 12 million people keep on playing it is another matter. With Star Wars TOR and Blizzard's own SCII, Diablo III, Battlenet, and their new MMO coming out in the next few years, I'm finding it hard to see WOW staying on top.

I think what he meant is, a lot of people are saying Cataclysm will be the last expansion they buy. Because of all of the things you mentioned, as well as the game just really starting to feel like it's going downhill.

I've said the same thing myself, especially after looking at Diablo 3... but I said the same thing about WotLK too, and I'm fairly certain I'll be picking up Cataclysm at this point.

Or, you know, the Paladin notes this Friday could drive me to slash my wrists... oh wait, that's right, I'm not a Hunter.

Alex

The game has never really went downhill, they've done an amazing job with content delivery and innovation and accessibility without losing challenge or depth where it matters.

But the fact is after 6 years of the same base mechanics and content types, especially with the kind of hours people put in things are going to wear thin for some people. No game ever made, at least probably not in our life times, will keep people interested forever.

I never play any MMO in a straightaway though, I do it in bursts, I can't play anything on a day-to-weekly basis non-stop, most people I know into these are the same.

That said, WoW probably won't begin to trail off until Blizzard themselves kills it. I'm personally interested in FFXIV, really liked some of the mechanics and world design from XI, and there's plenty of people interested in The Old Republic.

But neither of those will make a big splash, I'd put my bet down personally that XIV and TOR will both be sitting around the old school notion of very successful 500k subs after 6-12 months, provided there are no massive Funcom or Mythic styled fuckups. I just don't think anyone is going to be able to walk in and hit the same polish and content delivery and game design creds that Blizzard, let alone current Blizzard with their 120,000,000 a month income and gigantic MMO branch can hit.

But yeah, I'll probably just play a musical chairs of FFXIV and Cataclysm in bursts. Probably wont change until Blizzard hits up their next MMO project. There's not much really exciting on the horizon, IMO.

Retro

Alex said:
The game has never really went downhill, they've done an amazing job with content delivery and innovation and accessibility without losing challenge or depth where it matters.

Without provoking or starting a huge debate... 5-man content has really gotten rotten. It feels like 5-man and Heroic 5-man content isn't a reasonable place to plant a flag as 'endgame' anymore. 5-mans now feel like "Farming for Raiding" stage, which I guess it's always been in some way... I just remember most people in my guild not really giving a shit if we ran Heroics on the weekend, because they were a challenge, offered loot (instead of just farmed badges), and could be done in about an hour. Now it seems like Heroics are just there to farm badges in under 15 minutes and we vendor everything that isn't auto-sharded.

So... in that specific area of content... I feel like their design has really gone downhill. But then again, I'm not hardcore into herding nerds. :lol

I don't know where you are coming from, but in TBC Heroics had become All About Farming Badges.

Only with the release of the 5-man instance on Isle, did a new heroic come that had loot anybody wanted.

Otherwise, Heroics were ran one after the other by people to farm badges so they can get the best loot using which for guilds not in Sunwell and in some cases not progressed far in Sunwell were BoJ rewards.

It's not surprising that people who have been playing for over 5 years are feeling like Cataclysm will be the end. I've just started playing a little after a couple of months off, and I'll probably call it quits after the expansion myself... if I make it that far.

I'm not complaining about where the game has gone or anything; Wrath held some of the best moments of gaming I've ever had. It's just time for me to do something else.

WoW will keep going, though. I'm guessing it's got at least another 5 years before things are dire enough to start talking about shutting up shop -- and that's a deeply conservative estimate. It will happen eventually of course.

No king rules forever.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So some people know I play on an RP realm, most don't. Yeah I enjoy the lore but at least I don't take it too seriously to the point where "WoW = best written material ever!" like some RPers. While there can be huge lulzworthy moments from the serious people, there are much more funnier moments from dredges of society in RP realms - specifically the ERPers (erotic roleplayers).

There's an addon out there called RSP which basically allows you to add information to your character; surname, titles, physical description and RP status. These ERPers like to tell a small story wherever they congregate in Goldshire and Silvermoon City and it's often a laugh to read through the absurdity at some of them, ranging from slaves to femdoms to hermaphrodites.

One of the members in the guild likes to search up RSP profiles via the "model viewer" of sorts and tells us some of the good gems he finds. Basically you search up a character's name or a general term and it produces a list of results closest to what it matches. Here's one that really defies belief and had the entire guild go "..what? LOL" when he read it out (will try to keep it slightly censored):

ERP lulz said:
Height: 5 feet and 2 inches.
Build: Alchemically enhanced. (Read Description.)
Hair: Blonde Ponytail.
Eyes: Blue.
Sexual Orientation: Like she has a choice?
Always Submissive

General Appearance:

The human girl's body is full. Her face seems to always be kept up in terms of makeup, and her body looks to be quite fit everywhere except her belly where there seems to be a small bit of body fat. So she's a little plump? No big deal.

Her ass is plump, round, and cushiony. It doesn't fit the rest of her body, and that's because she is a "breeding whore" for the qiraj and silithid. Her rear is fine-tuned to perfection, and her unnatural, massive tits are leaking milk, each breast slightly larger than her head. She had to hold them up with her arms if she's walking or standing.

Her thighs are nice and plump, and her little c**t is dripping wet and clean-shaven. Every so often a female cultist in black robes will come to clean her up and feed her, usually once every few hours. Her beauty is only a reflection of the many chemicals and strange concoctions used by the qiraj to increase her appeal to others, her body looking as if its only purpose was to fuck and bear children. She has a large, silver hoop peirced through each nipple. Each hoop is wide enough to go around her biceps.

The first time I've ever seen someone describe the fact that they regularly mated with the Qiraji and Silithids. Some of the responses in guild vent had me clutching my stomach, pleading for the pain to go away so I could breath. Wish I had recorded it.

Never change seedy-side of WoW.

Rapstah

jim-jam bongs said:
It's not surprising that people who have been playing for over 5 years are feeling like Cataclysm will be the end. I've just started playing a little after a couple of months off, and I'll probably call it quits after the expansion myself... if I make it that far.

I'm not complaining about where the game has gone or anything; Wrath held some of the best moments of gaming I've ever had. It's just time for me to do something else.

WoW will keep going, though. I'm guessing it's got at least another 5 years before things are dire enough to start talking about shutting up shop -- and that's a deeply conservative estimate. It will happen eventually of course.

No king rules forever.
If Blizzard closes WOW at any point, I'm sure they'll allow people's WOW progress to move into their next MMO somehow.

Hixx

I dunno whether that makes me want to try an RP realm or not.

On one hand, hilarity will ensue. On the other... what the fuck, man.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
HixxSAFC said:
I dunno whether that makes me want to try an RP realm or not.

On one hand, hilarity will ensue. On the other... what the fuck, man.
It's like a huge double-edged sword most of the time, unfortunately.

I'm in a guild who were part of some made-up military company in Lordaeron, with the intent to take the city/region back in some shape or form. It'll never happen, but we do it anyway - my Druid is merely there to help heal the lands or whatever. Anyway we did some RP-PVP in the EPL today which lead to the big Forsaken guild on the server to roll out and defend the fringes of Tirisfal Glades and Brill, eventually pushing us back into Hillsbrad. It was a really cool event.

On the other side of the coin, you get (and witness) the absolutely boring RP parts in the game as well as the stupidity that affects every other server. Draenei Death Knights with potions and such to make them gigantic monstrosities, the ERPers, the griefers, or the apparent lack of perspective when I ask "why is an Arch Druid sitting around a harem in The Park of Stormwind, when he should be healing Felwood or something?"

It's all in fun and the guys and girls I'm with seem to have a relaxed attitude so everything works for me. I've never world PVP'd so much in my life though.

Alex

Retro said:
Without provoking or starting a huge debate... 5-man content has really gotten rotten. It feels like 5-man and Heroic 5-man content isn't a reasonable place to plant a flag as 'endgame' anymore. 5-mans now feel like "Farming for Raiding" stage, which I guess it's always been in some way... I just remember most people in my guild not really giving a shit if we ran Heroics on the weekend, because they were a challenge, offered loot (instead of just farmed badges), and could be done in about an hour. Now it seems like Heroics are just there to farm badges in under 15 minutes and we vendor everything that isn't auto-sharded.

So... in that specific area of content... I feel like their design has really gone downhill. But then again, I'm not hardcore into herding nerds. :lol

5 mans were never a hugely viable end game piece on their own, even in BC. (in Vanilla they were flat out useless, but Vanilla had so little content anywhere it's not even worth mentioning).

At least now though you can get some nice rewards from them, badges, the matchmaking system is there, class selection isn't such a bitch, etc.

My only complaint would be some of the lack of difficulty compared to BC ones, which on some level I'm fine with because, again, it's not as stringent on the actual class selection, but I think they could actually stand more difficulty levels than just heroic.

It would open up 5 mans as an interesting thing to do on the side as expansions grow older (opposed to the crazy non-stop runs you do when one begins)

So they could have like Normal, Heroic, then just keep adding to that as an expansion goes on, work the meta game and make some truly VERY HARD shit and reward appropriately. Wouldn't even really need new assets, could just use some old school Zelda styled "second quest" kind of gig and rearrange everything and greatly modify it.

Or just go FFXI style with the Burning Circle events, which are basically puzzle bosses for one group, locked in a room and make them stupidly hard. I wanna see stuff like that.

That's my only real gripe with WoW, is I want new avenues of content, that's the best thing WoW has done for the genre is massive accessibility and role picking. I haven't kept up as much for Cataclysm, but Rated BGs are an example of this, 10 mans were somewhat one for WOTLK.

If rated BGs work out good then I can see myself sticking around a lot. I love BGs, HATE arena. Only made one big push in arena during S2, havent messed with it much since.

I've played on RP realms before and it's just extra heaps of drama in my experience.

Although the general population tends to be more mature overall, which is the reason I went (not into RP).

Definately a little bit different WoW experience.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Alex said:
5 mans were never a hugely viable end game piece on their own, even in BC. (in Vanilla they were flat out useless, but Vanilla had so little content anywhere it's not even worth mentioning).

At least now though you can get some nice rewards from them, badges, the matchmaking system is there, class selection isn't such a bitch, etc.

My only complaint would be some of the lack of difficulty compared to BC ones, which on some level I'm fine with because, again, it's not as stringent on the actual class selection, but I think they could actually stand more difficulty levels than just heroic.

It would open up 5 mans as an interesting thing to do on the side as expansions grow older (opposed to the crazy non-stop runs you do when one begins)

So they could have like Normal, Heroic, then just keep adding to that as an expansion goes on, work the meta game and make some truly VERY HARD shit and reward appropriately. Wouldn't even really need new assets, could just use some old school Zelda styled "second quest" kind of gig and rearrange everything and greatly modify it.

Or just go FFXI style with the Burning Circle events, which are basically puzzle bosses for one group, locked in a room and make them stupidly hard. I wanna see stuff like that.

That's my only real gripe with WoW, is I want new avenues of content, that's the best thing WoW has done for the genre is massive accessibility and role picking. I haven't kept up as much for Cataclysm, but Rated BGs are an example of this, 10 mans were somewhat one for WOTLK.

If rated BGs work out good then I can see myself sticking around a lot. I love BGs, HATE arena. Only made one big push in arena during S2, havent messed with it much since.
There IS an "Epic" difficulty setting in game, but you can't access any dungeons in that mode because there are no epic modes programmed in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
arhra said:
Haven't actually posted any reports to WoL recently since the only thing we've really been working on is LK, where parses aren't much help, but it turns out i've still got logs from last Tuesday which included plague wing, so here's our last Festergut (this is with the 10% buff, obviously). The rest of the plague wing, sindragosa, and some LK attempts are in there too if you want to have a look (we'd killed everything else earlier in the week).
Your team-DPS makes me sad. My DPS looks like yours (around the mid 9Ks as a Frost DK), but everyone else tries significantly less hard.

Retro

I guess what I want is some variety in 5-mans, beyond straight paths with trash between bosses. I know BRD gets a lot of shit, but there were so many ways through it you kind of picked your own adventure. For example, there are rooms I was in on my last BRD run that I'd never even seen before.

I'd like to see "Adventure" Dungeons that are more non-linear, take more time, and have ramped up difficulty. The rewards could just be more badges, but because of the layout, they're not easily farmed. One really great part would be having each dungeon built similar to Phantasy Star Online's dungeons; some doors are sealed off, some ways are closed, and it more or less randomly picks a new layout (from half a dozen or so).

I guess I want to feel like dungeons matter again instead of just being scripted dance routines people rush through. In Vanilla we did BRD (and UBRS when it switched over from a raid) all the time, just because there was so much loot down in those places and you didn't have badge gear to automatically get you maxed out eventually. In Vanilla, 5-mans were pretty much as far as most people I played with were happy to go, because they were still challenging but you didn't need to organize people.

I'm not one of those "OMG, Vanilla wuz bettur, classik survurz plz" people, but some aspects of the game were better, at least in my opinion, back in those days. Maybe not for everyone, but I was always content with 5-mans. After doing ZG before TBC launched, going as far as Kara and Grull after, I kind of lost interest in raiding. It was only because of the guild I was in that I bothered with raiding in WotLK... I've done Naxx, I've done Ulduar, and I tried ToC (burned out about that point). Raiding just doesn't interest me, and if it did I'm past being burned out on that kind of scheduling anyways.

That's not to say that Raiding needs to go away, I just wish there were alternatives. Sadly, Heroics and 5-mans are basically just loot farms to direct you towards raiding, so they're not built to be as interesting as they once were. I guess I just want that kind of experience back, though I know there's no way it's going to happen.

Luckily, I've found that I'm quite happy with just rolling alts and Cataclysm will deliver at least two new experiences on that front (both Alliance and Horde leveling experience). I also like lower tier PVP now that twinks have been isolated and contained, and anyone who does twink quickly moves out of their bracket (or at least, I will). So, there's always that.

I've always loved the dungeons in the game, though, and I guess I just miss that being an acceptable goal. By that, I mean the way that Blizzard approaches their design. They've nerfed a lot of old bosses that really didn't need it just to speed things up, and the dungeons were already really straightforward as it was. Their attitude now seems to be "Get to 80 so you can run 5-mans so you can run heroics so you can raid now now now." I can't be the only one feeling it.

If they could implement PSO's Challenge mode somehow, I'd be happy as a pig in shit.... :lol Good luck of that ever happening ("OMG, why am I level 1! Where are all my epics! You mean we have to work together?!").

Interfectum

Are rated BGs going to be put in a queuing system (ala current BGs / dungeon finder) or do you have to stand around town begging to be put in a BG team?

Interfectum

Retro said:
I guess what I want is some variety in 5-mans, beyond straight paths with trash between bosses.

I would LOVE to see 5-mans have more variety / gameplay elements. Imagine a DotA style dungeon where you had minions and had to press back against others (this could be a battleground too), or some kinda of tower defense 5-man where you have to battle trash for money and build towers. Now those might be lame examples but you get the point. Something besides walk through dungeon fight trash, fight boss, walk more, fight trash, fight boss, etc.

All the dungeons just seem so funny and forced nowadays with the epic boss just chillin in his uncomfortable 'boss room' waiting on adventurers to show up and slay him. Lets have some more, interesting stuff to do. :lol

Retro

Interfectum said:
I would LOVE to see 5-mans have more variety / gameplay elements. Imagine a DotA style dungeon where you had minions and had to press back against others (this could be a battleground too), or some kinda of tower defense 5-man where you have to battle trash for money and build towers. Now those might be lame examples but you get the point. Something besides walk through dungeon fight trash, fight boss, walk more, fight trash, fight boss, etc.

Right, they don't even really need to be dungeons I guess, they could just be big massive events where you do stuff. I'm shocked that we haven't seen MMOs embrace more than just loot runs.

Aion apparently has PVP Dungeons, I think (haven't played it past level 20). Imagine a dungeon where the two factions queue up like a BG, and are competing along separate paths to reach the end first. Maybe there's a side path with an optional boss that, if you have the time, can delay the other group somehow (seals passage and they have to go around, for example). The rewards would all be PVP-oriented, but the experience would be more than just farming honor or arena points.

And I'll mention it again: PSO's Challenge mode was the best grouping experience I've ever had and it's well over a decade old. For those who aren't familiar with it, Challenge mode temporarily resets everyone to level 1, strips all of their gear and stat bonuses, and gives them a limited number of self-rez items (called Scape Dolls). If one player dies without a scape doll, EVERYONE fails.

The dungeons are built for 4 players (and ONLY 4 players), and have a lot of puzzles that require people to split up, work together, etc. The enemies are ramped up in levels and they put especially obnoxious enemies together in ways they never appear in the regular game. Some rooms are pitch black, some have traps (A lot, actually).

The best part, though, is the loot; it's jaw-dropping. Stat boosting materials, weapon boosters, rare items, armor slot items... but because none of it gets carried out, people actually divide it rather than just grabbing everything for profit. Awesome sword drops? Give it to the Melee guy, he needs it. Cool gun? Give it to the Ranger, we need him to stand back and stun enemies so Melee doesn't get surrounded. People actually share loot because working together (and improving your teammates) means you're more likely to win.

The reward for beating Challenge mode is awesome gear you can use in the real game, stuff that's really worth the struggle and really stands out (You even get to name the items... or it names it after you, I can't remember which).

I've been saying that WoW needs to adapt this idea for "Heirloom Dungeons" that award really decent scaling gear. So you can run it for a new alt, have something fun to do to help new friends other than loot runs (which are boring), or to get cosmetic crap.

I dunno. I play PSO and I wish WoW had something similar. I could just play PSO, but the classes aren't as interesting and it's harder to find people, so... yeah.

Angry Grimace

Retro said:
I guess what I want is some variety in 5-mans, beyond straight paths with trash between bosses. I know BRD gets a lot of shit, but there were so many ways through it you kind of picked your own adventure. For example, there are rooms I was in on my last BRD run that I'd never even seen before.

I'd like to see "Adventure" Dungeons that are more non-linear, take more time, and have ramped up difficulty. The rewards could just be more badges, but because of the layout, they're not easily farmed. One really great part would be having each dungeon built similar to Phantasy Star Online's dungeons; some doors are sealed off, some ways are closed, and it more or less randomly picks a new layout (from half a dozen or so).

I guess I want to feel like dungeons matter again instead of just being scripted dance routines people rush through. In Vanilla we did BRD (and UBRS when it switched over from a raid) all the time, just because there was so much loot down in those places and you didn't have badge gear to automatically get you maxed out eventually. In Vanilla, 5-mans were pretty much as far as most people I played with were happy to go, because they were still challenging but you didn't need to organize people.

I'm not one of those "OMG, Vanilla wuz bettur, classik survurz plz" people, but some aspects of the game were better, at least in my opinion, back in those days. Maybe not for everyone, but I was always content with 5-mans. After doing ZG before TBC launched, going as far as Kara and Grull after, I kind of lost interest in raiding. It was only because of the guild I was in that I bothered with raiding in WotLK... I've done Naxx, I've done Ulduar, and I tried ToC (burned out about that point). Raiding just doesn't interest me, and if it did I'm past being burned out on that kind of scheduling anyways.

That's not to say that Raiding needs to go away, I just wish there were alternatives. Sadly, Heroics and 5-mans are basically just loot farms to direct you towards raiding, so they're not built to be as interesting as they once were. I guess I just want that kind of experience back, though I know there's no way it's going to happen.

Luckily, I've found that I'm quite happy with just rolling alts and Cataclysm will deliver at least two new experiences on that front (both Alliance and Horde leveling experience). I also like lower tier PVP now that twinks have been isolated and contained, and anyone who does twink quickly moves out of their bracket (or at least, I will). So, there's always that.

I've always loved the dungeons in the game, though, and I guess I just miss that being an acceptable goal. By that, I mean the way that Blizzard approaches their design. They've nerfed a lot of old bosses that really didn't need it just to speed things up, and the dungeons were already really straightforward as it was. Their attitude now seems to be "Get to 80 so you can run 5-mans so you can run heroics so you can raid now now now." I can't be the only one feeling it.

If they could implement PSO's Challenge mode somehow, I'd be happy as a pig in shit.... :lol Good luck of that ever happening ("OMG, why am I level 1! Where are all my epics! You mean we have to work together?!").
But at this point raids and heroics are 2 sides of the same coin because 10m normal mode isn't too difficult to get in, gear wise.

Retro

Interfectum said:
I never played PSO but that does sound awesome.

It was fantastic. I've never seen people work together like that, even when I was raiding. There was always somebody who made drama, got carried, or tried to fuck other people... even in the same guild (like people trying to burn other peoples' DKP). PSO was a more bare-bones game (and more action-y), so there weren't people running meters or anything like that... it was really great.

Here's the GAF thread, the game is free to play now; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274695

Angry Grimace said:
But at this point raids and heroics are 2 sides of the same coin because 10m normal mode isn't too difficult to get in, gear wise.

Except that you need more people for one, obviously. My last guild broke up and I don't really want to try and find another one, so my group up friends is pretty much family and friends. On a good night, we can get 6 of us on. We've pugged 10 mans a few times before, but it's not the same thing as a guild run... I'd much rather run with people I know at a relaxed pace for fun than pound through instances with strangers.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying "WoW should change because does not cater to my exact desires"... I'm just wondering out loud if anyone else feels the same way. We used to all log in, pour a drink and tear up 5-mans for fun... and now it seems like all of the dungeons are shorter, easier, and less interesting.

Ferrio

Banned
Unfortunately there is a big problem with making 5 mans epic/large etc. After you've run them a few times... it gets old *fast*.

I did UBRS/BRD/LBRS back in the day more times than I can count. Yes they were neat back then, but they suffered from the same thing the current ones do... once you've ran them enough you don't really wanna see them again. The plus side with the new instances is, even though it's a pain... they're really quick.

If I had to run UBRS everyday for two badges, I'd promptly unsubscribe.

Retro

Ferrio said:
Unfortunately there is a big problem with making 5 mans epic/large etc. After you've run them a few times... it gets old *fast*.

I did UBRS/BRD/LBRS back in the day more times than I can count. Yes they were neat back then, but they suffered from the same thing the current ones do... once you've ran them enough you don't really wanna see them again. The plus side with the new instances is, even though it's a pain... they're really quick.

If I had to run UBRS everyday for two badges, I'd promptly unsubscribe.

Right, nobody is saying "Make everything BRD-sized again!"... just that some kind of alternative where that type of experience exists would be interesting. I know repeating the same content gets old, but there are ways around that... different map configurations (which is a big part of it), etc.

I'm not saying I want Vanilla-style dungeon-crawling back, just that I'd like that as an option along with all of the short little 5-mans. And I think we all can agree that the difficulty needs to go up a little in Cataclysm, the changes we've seen so far seem to suggest it.

explodet

I joke around with others how a heroic lvl80 BRD would drive current players to madness.

If Ragnaros IS coming back for Cataclysm, I hope his payroll is severely reduced so if we have to go back to the Molten Core we don't have to wade through hundreds of trash mobs to get to the bosses. Large maps is one thing, clearing the maps of trash is another.

Ulduar had a big map but not nearly as much trash (unless you count all the mobs you ran over during the vehicle section) and teleporters. Oh man AQ40 would have been a lot more tolerable with just a few teleporters. (just a few so you could still use those awesome mounts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom