• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angry Grimace said:
So yeah, it's Alpha and those won't be available in the real game. It's probably just a bug. It's literally the first iteration of a public ALPHA. Not even a beta.

Well if it IS a bug then it's kind of weird considering they have their own starter clothes available too. We'll see in the next build or so.

Flib

Halls of Origination preview is up: http://www.wow-europe.com/cataclysm/features/origination.html?locale=en_GB

As with Uldaman and Ulduar, Uldum houses one of only a few of the known titan constructions, the existence of which predates that of mortal life on Azeroth. For years historians have explored southern Kalimdor for a means of entry into this ancient titan land, searching for more evidence of Azeroth's origins. But the Cataclysm will change everything, for the façade behind which Uldum has been tucked for millennia will be ruptured, leaving powerful mysteries vulnerable to discovery by the bravest, smartest, or perhaps even most brutal explorers.

The Halls of Origination in Uldum is a level-85 five-player dungeon available in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, featuring an unparalleled journey through the timeless titan construction and seven unique boss fights. Hidden deep within its halls lies an ancient treasure that, if placed in the wrong hands, could endanger all life on Azeroth. Should players survive the perils of Uldum, they will be called to help Brann Bronzebeard unlock the mysteries within these treacherous titan halls and protect the titans' ancient secrets.

Entering the Halls

You will immediately learn the gravity of your situation in the Maker's Overlook when stumbling over the bodies of those who have entered the Halls of Origination before you, seeking power... and failing. Those who survive beyond the entrance of these ancient corridors will be greeted by Brann Bronzebeard just outside the dungeon's transport system to the upper reaches. It will require more than the guidance of Brann to advance upward, however, as the secrets of these halls must first be unlocked.

Chamber of Prophecy

The column-strewn Chamber of Prophecy is truly a testament of time. In a room adorned with the relics of an ancient culture, two arks await investigation, protected by ever-faithful servants. Those who meddle with the titan relics must answer to Temple Guardian Anhuur, the overseer of this chamber and a master of holy magic and devastating hymns.

Tomb of the Earthrager

Across from the Chamber of Prophecy and just outside the dungeon's walls lies the Tomb of the Earthrager, entrenched within a pyramid sun-scorched and bombarded with sandstorms. Littered with the bones of the long deceased, the tomb waits to collect more unprepared victims. It is, after all, the resting place of Earthrager Ptah. Those who disturb his tomb disrupt an eerily quiet place before Ptah shakes the ground beneath you in a Tumultuous Earthstorm, bringing to life the weathered bones of the deceased and unearthing vile Scarabs.

The Vault of Lights

With walls weighted by priceless titan artifacts, the Vault of Lights will serve as a chamber of punishment for your intrusion. Anraphet, a haunting statue of titan composition, awakens to serve his fellow keepers and eradicate all mortals who enter. Make no mistake: his long slumber will not prevent him from showing absolute wrath.

Seats of the Keepers

Survivors of the halls' depths will gain access to the upper reaches. With help from Brann Bronzebeard, you must uncover the mysteries of Uldum. Your journey will lead you to areas of ultimate consequence: the Seats of Magic, Life, Chaos, and Radiance. Here you will be confronted by the construct of magic Isiset, construct of life Ammunae, construct of chaos Setesh, and construct of radiance Rajh. You will be tested by these constructs of Uldum, who will not easily give up their thrones or the secrets of the titans.

Only by exploring Uldum's Halls of Origination in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm will you have a chance to uncover their dangerous powers, and perhaps even the mysteries behind the origins of life on Azeroth.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
HarryDemeanor said:
Well if it IS a bug then it's kind of weird considering they have their own starter clothes available too. We'll see in the next build or so.
Those are the same starter clothes every race's Warlocks have, dude. :lol

firex

Angry Grimace said:
So yeah, it's Alpha and those won't be available in the real game. It's probably just a bug. It's literally the first iteration of a public ALPHA. Not even a beta.
They're just experimenting to see how well those race/class combos work before deciding to add them permanently. Same thing happened in WoW beta when they originally had Dwarf mages, but removed them later so there were only 2 mage options per faction.

If true this means my orc warlock alt is deleted and remade as a troll automatically, and I will probably also just swing between goblin hunter or mage as an alt option.

Rapstah

The more race/class combinations there are, the better in my book. Can't get enough diversity in what you see and I'd kill to play as an Undead Paladin.

firex

undead paladin, gnome shaman/druid would be amazing. Lore nerds/RPers would lose their minds. The next best thing would be tauren and draenei rogues.

Rapstah

firex said:
undead paladin, gnome shaman/druid would be amazing. Lore nerds/RPers would lose their minds. The next best thing would be tauren and draenei rogues.
Undead Paladin would make LOADS of sense in lore considering they already have priests. I guess the addition of a completely separate Death Knight class reduces the odds... drastically, though. :(

firex

supposedly paladins are special snowflakes who cannot be resurrected as undead, unless they turn into death knights.

Angry Grimace said:
Those are the same starter clothes every race's Warlocks have, dude. :lol

No shit?

firex said:
supposedly paladins are special snowflakes who cannot be resurrected as undead, unless they turn into death knights.

Yeah, it's weird that Undead can be Priests yet they can't be Paladins.

Angry Grimace said:
I shall consume my chapeau if Dwarves end up as Warlocks in Cataclysm.

I don't care if they end up having Warlocks as a class. Just thought it was interesting to point out.

[EDIT] Looks like Silithus has been left alone. Nothing worth of note there yet. =/ Hopefully they do something interesting with that zone.

Door2Dawn

Banned
hallsoforigination_11.jpg

Sciz

The enhancement talents have gotten quite a bit of work done on them already, and they seem to all be implemented already unlike, say, the balance talents.

Removed talents:
-Earth's Grasp
-Guardian Totems
-Thundering Strikes
-Improved Windfury Totem
-Mental Dexterity
-Weapon Mastery

Changed talents:
-Ancestral Knowledge: +15% max mana instead of +10% Int
-Lava Lash: 150% offhand weapon damage, +40% with Flametongue active, up from 100% and +25%. 10 second cooldown, up from 6 seconds.

New talents:
-Focused Strikes: 5 points, increases the damage of Primal Strike and Stormstrike by 40%
-Ancestral Swiftness: 3 points, +15% movement speed
-Searing Flames: 5 points, causes the Searing Bolts from your Searing Totem to have a 100% chance to set their targets aflame, dealing damage equal to the Searing Bolt's impact damage over 15 seconds. Stacks 5 times.
-Totemic Vigor: 3 points, increases the health of your totems by 10% of your maximum health
-Improved Lava Lash: 3 points, increases the damage of your Lava Lash ability by 30%, and by an additional 20% for each of your applications of Searing Flames on the target, consuming those applications in the process.

Kind of disappointed that they still didn't work Lava Burst in somewhere, but the new Lava Lash/Searing Totem synergy looks like a decent equivalent. The 10 second LL cooldown should mean that ST always has five stacks up by the time LL is back up. I'm betting they introduce a glyph to keep it from eating the stacks, besides. And Ancestral Swiftness is just going to be nice.

Elemental hasn't changed nearly as much yet, but it still has some interesting bits:

Removed talents:
-Call of Thunder
-Totem of Wrath
-Lightning Overload (having been converted to mastery)

Changed talents:
-Elemental Precision: now also converts 100% of spirit to hit rating.

New talents:
-Wrathful Totems: 1 point, causes your Fire totems to increase the spell power of party and raid members within 100 yards by 10%.
-Acute Overload: 3 points, increases the damage dealt by your Elemental Overload spells by 20%
-Earthquake: 1 point, 86% of base mana, 1.5s cast, channeled, 35 yard range, 15 second cooldown; you cause the earth at the target location to tremble and break, dealing 36 Physical damage every 1 second to enemies in a 10 yard radius, with a 30% chance of knocking down affected targets. Lasts 10 seconds.
-Lava Surge: 3 points, gives your Flame Shock periodic damage ticks a 30% chance to reset the cooldown of your Lava Burst spell.

AO and LS together are going to result in the occasional really fun Lava Burst spam.

We'll see how much of this makes it to live, of course.

edit: what the heck, as long as I'm doing this anyway, resto:

Removed talents:
-Tidal Mastery

Changed talents:
-Cleanse Spirit: now Improved Cleanse Spirit, adds magic dispel to CS

New talents:
-Focused Insight: 5 points, after casting any Shock spell, your next heal's mana cost is reduced by 75% of the cost of the Shock spell, and its healing effectiveness is increased by 25%.
-Ancestral Resolve: 2 points, reduces damage taken while casting spells by 10%.

Not much changed yet, and I don't expect that too much will. They put a lot of work into resto during Wrath, and seem to be pretty happy with it.

They could have Tauren Rogues if Magatha Grimtotem got control of the Tauren after Cairne dies like he is rumored to. They already have Graimtotem Tauren "bandits" that stealth like Rogues.

Entropia

No One Remembers
It's possible it's the old god off of... Darkshore??

Hell, it could be C'thun. He's coming back thanks to our buddy Cho'gall!

Retro

Flib said:
Old God? Where is that?

I forget, but the guy hosting the live stream mentioned earlier flew around in it. There were more than one, and you can go inside and see all of their organs and stuff, and the Naga have stuff inside like those water tanks from Coilfang.

As near as I can tell, they're like giant conch shell fortresses, not sure if they move or what, but they're pretty damn big.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Found this in the center of Cathedral Square in SW, thought it was Arthas at first glance but this guy has a beard.

33msd42.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Entropia said:
It's possible it's the old god off of... Darkshore??

Hell, it could be C'thun. He's coming back thanks to our buddy Cho'gall!
Doesn't that one have a huge Sword stuck in his head?

In the Level 95 expansion before Sargeras; the four Old Gods will combine into a Megazord Old God.

That statue is probably Uther, innit?

traveler

Not Wario
Retro said:
It's still in Alpha. Apparently a lot of the untextured areas players aren't meant to ever see are still in game, the skyboxes are unchanged (not sure if they will be) and the water looks off in quite a few places. On top of that, a lot of these pictures have buildings or areas that are obviously untextured.

It's Alpha. At least wait until Beta tests begin before we start nitpicking on the visual quality.

Same place it is now, in STV.

Absolutely. I figured as much.

However, I do think I might not have been as clear as I could have been on that- I think plenty of the things I'm seeing look finished or close to it- what I'm a little disappointed about is the vanilla artstyle. I think WotLK just clicked for me and nothing done in the old style, even technically superior, will look as impressive to me. It's wait and see, obviously, but I just wanted to clarify that it's not really the quality or percentage of present assets that I was talking about.

Flib

traveler said:
Absolutely. I figured as much.

However, I do think I might not have been as clear as I could have been on that- I think plenty of the things I'm seeing look finished or close to it- what I'm a little disappointed about is the vanilla artstyle. I think WotLK just clicked for me and nothing done in the old style, even technically superior, will look as impressive to me. It's wait and see, obviously, but I just wanted to clarify that it's not really the quality or percentage of present assets that I was talking about.

hallsoforigination_20.jpg

traveler

Not Wario
That was posted after I made that original post. (Which was mainly regarding the redone old world, not the new areas) :p

Still doesn't come anywhere close to anything in Northrend.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
The room inside the huge tower in the center of Deephome looks like
an exact copy of the Chamer of Aspects at Wyrmrest Temple.
Spoilered just in case.

Retro

Belfast said:
Kezan seems almost too awesome to destroy. :(

I dunno. I've heard that it's destroyed too, but holy shit; it appears to have a bank and AH and everything... Besides, I thought the Goblins started when their ship crashed on the Lost Isles... maybe not.

Belfast

Retro said:
I dunno. I've heard that it's destroyed too, but holy shit; it appears to have a bank and AH and everything... Besides, I thought the Goblins started when their ship crashed on the Lost Isles... maybe not.

AFAIK, the Kezan part takes places before/during the cataclysm itself, and you're sort of fleeing from the destruction. So, either it's a prologue or it's the Level 1-5 starting area, with Lost Isles being 5-10.

I think the Worgen function in a similar way, with the first few levels actually being phased content that takes you through some of the history of what happened there. They've kept these parts of the starting areas under wraps so far. Whenever it was tested at events, players were already starting at a higher level.

Retro

So, about those Cowadins...
ors5qe.jpg

Edit:
Icon confirms: "ability_mount_kodosunwalkerelite"
2mrgysg.jpg

Look at that face, he's literally saying "Fucking AWESOME!" :lol

Edit 2:
Holy fuck at the people going "I FOUND FEMALE WORGEN" and linking to the Halloween Mask Icon. There's got to be at least 12 locked threads about it. People are fucking idiots.

Angry Grimace

notworksafe said:
Yeah that mount seals it for me.

My Paladin is going Tauren ASAP.
You'd probably have to start a new one. I sincerely doubt they will let you just transfer an existing character into a new Cataclysm Race/Class combo.

firex

Retro said:
Right now when people create goblins (or at least at events before) they wake up on the shipwreck at level 6. Which leads me to believe levels 1-5 is Kezan pre-cataclysm, then fleeing it and the shipwreck that occurs.

Retro

Angry Grimace said:
You'd probably have to start a new one. I sincerely doubt they will let you just transfer an existing character into a new Cataclysm Race/Class combo.

Yeah, I have a feeling you won't see Race/Class change options for a month, and maybe 2 months for Goblin/Furry changes.

Another screenshot of the Pallykodo:
vrpmpf.jpg

Angry Grimace

firex said:
Right now when people create goblins (or at least at events before) they wake up on the shipwreck at level 6. Which leads me to believe levels 1-5 is Kezan pre-cataclysm, then fleeing it and the shipwreck that occurs.
The other races need something like that.

The one thing I really want for Cataclysm that I'm worried might just be too big is consolidating quests so that there's actually enough quests to do, i.e. Outlands/Northrend. Most of the old world quests are just all over the place.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Where are people getting the Kezan being destroyed bit from?

Blizzard said at Blizzcon that they will start level 5/6

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
Blizz has said you can, just not at launch. I'm willing to wait until it's purchasable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom