• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Here's the Non-Epic Cowadin Mount:
wowscrnshot050710162903.jpg

And the Epic, since we're on a new page and it's worth seeing again:
ors5qe.jpg

I noted that there's an Alliance flag in Moonbrook. Does this mean the Defias are over and done with? Then what about Northshire? You can't really kill Defias members there then.

In general, what will happen to the old dungeons? I mean, they can't just sit around and pretend that nothing happened. I'm expecting most of the lvl 60 dungeons will be repurposed, either at other levels (like Dire Maul was a 60 dungeon in a 40 zone) or simply as a questing place.

For example, if WPL has been reclaimed and the Scourge long since driven out of the area, why would Scholomance still be operating? And how can Scarlet Monastery still be Scarlet when the Crusade have all been destroyed?

On the other hand, they'd have to redesign everything, fill it with new mobs and make up good reasons why these "conquered" places are suddenly important again. They might just leave them as is.

It's gonna be interesting, that's for sure.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
SiegfriedFM said:
I noted that there's an Alliance flag in Moonbrook. Does this mean the Defias are over and done with? Then what about Northshire? You can't really kill Defias members there then.

In general, what will happen to the old dungeons? I mean, they can't just sit around and pretend that nothing happened. I'm expecting most of the lvl 60 dungeons will be repurposed, either at other levels (like Dire Maul was a 60 dungeon in a 40 zone) or simply as a questing place.

For example, if WPL has been reclaimed and the Scourge long since driven out of the area, why would Scholomance still be operating? And how can Scarlet Monastery still be Scarlet when the Crusade have all been destroyed?

On the other hand, they'd have to redesign everything, fill it with new mobs and make up good reasons why these "conquered" places are suddenly important again. They might just leave them as is.

Well for moonbrook they'll probably change the lore to something like "Hey we fortified this town but we still need your help clearing out what's left of the Defias in the mines!"

I think there'll be just enough of the old lore left for each of the vanilla dungeons to still make sense.

CassSept

I guess there is some reason they are doing lvl 85 heroic Deadmines, outside of "We want to bring VanCleef back". Maybe it has something to do with new lore concerning Westfall?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
SiegfriedFM said:

What i want to know is what happens if you dont get Cataclysm? Are just the new zones locked out? Is Cat going to be mandatory? If so, will it include TBC and WotLK or will there be areas to level 60-80 that dont include Outland or Northrend?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
water_wendi said:
What i want to know is what happens if you dont get Cataclysm? Are just the new zones locked out? Is Cat going to be mandatory? If so, will it include TBC and WotLK or will there be areas to level 60-80 that dont include Outland or Northrend?
As far as what has been said everything that happens in Cataclysm for Kalimdor & Eastern Kingdoms as it stands will be what everyone else sees. The new 80+ zones will be locked out, as well as the new races.

Tamanon

Banned
water_wendi said:

The old zones will be changed, and will be able to be used by non-Cataclysm buyers. You will still have to go to Outland/Northrend for 60-80. And you won't have access to the new zones or the races.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm wondering how they'll lock out the new zones for people that don't have Cataclysm. In the alpha, with Hyjal, you can fly right in from a Vanilla zone, no loading or anything. But if you try to enter Twilight Highlands from Wetlands, there's an invisible wall, you can see the zone perfectly fine, you just can't get in.

BTW here's the alpha command to get to Skywall:

.go 657 -420 -50 730

Tamanon

Banned
sykoex said:
I'm wondering how they'll lock out the new zones for people that don't have Cataclysm. In the alpha, with Hyjal, you can fly right in from a Vanilla zone, no loading or anything. But if you try to enter Twilight Highlands from Wetlands, there's an invisible wall, you can see the zone perfectly fine, you just can't get in.

I assume they'll probably use the same technique as when you're in raid dungeon without being in a raid, have a message pop up and port you back to the nearest inn/graveyard.

firex

SiegfriedFM said:

There's a blue post on MMO Champion from a week or two ago where they basically said all the old dungeons are also getting redesigned/readjusted so they fit with the redone zones. I think mostly that just means they will be adjusted to reflect the new level of the zones and will still exist as dungeons.

CassSept

Well, legitimate alpha clients are around the net since yesterday. Only problem is that if you do get it, pretty much all you can do is datamine it (unless you can set up sandbox server).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
CassSept said:
Well, legitimate alpha clients are around the net since yesterday. Only problem is that if you do get it, pretty much all you can do is datamine it (unless you can set up sandbox server).
pretty sure he means that he's in the F&F alpha.. in which case he can do a ton more than datamine ;)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tamanon said:
I assume they'll probably use the same technique as when you're in raid dungeon without being in a raid, have a message pop up and port you back to the nearest inn/graveyard.
My presumption is some kind of "attunement" quest that you have to be a certain level to do other wise you get a "Tresspaser" debuff, or maybe even the No Man's Land debuff that currently exists in Hyjal.

It's possible that there just won't be anything, but you'll get annhilated if you try and go there.

Sciz

Sax Russel said:
So there's a map file called "MaelstromZone", looks like this

That's all water, despite the terrible compression =P. And the letters down there?
Reminds me of the Emerald Dream maps that have been sitting in the files forever. Wonder what it's doing here, though. Expansion content that got axed, early design work for patch content, or a really preliminary idea for the next expansion?

FLEABttn

Banned
Sciz said:
Reminds me of the Emerald Dream maps that have been sitting in the files forever. Wonder what it's doing here, though. Expansion content that got axed, early design work for patch content, or a really preliminary idea for the next expansion?

I don't think too much in the way of expansion content ever really gets axed, but gets delayed because of narrative issues or gameplay issues and then gets retooled for use later (which you can see examples of in the files of older clients). In the case of the Emerald Dream, I personally think it was slated to be a part of the first expansion but the direction they wanted to take the game changed so we haven't really seen it yet. I don't doubt that we will though, in some zone form.

Speaking of older clients, has the vanilla WoW alpha client leaked anywhere ever?

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
My presumption is some kind of "attunement" quest that you have to be a certain level to do other wise you get a "Tresspaser" debuff, or maybe even the No Man's Land debuff that currently exists in Hyjal.

It's possible that there just won't be anything, but you'll get annhilated if you try and go there.
Or it could just be what happens if you try to go to Burning Crusade and Lich King zones without having the expansion. You just get an error that you have to own the expansion to get into that area.

Rapstah

notworksafe said:
Or it could just be what happens if you try to go to Burning Crusade and Lich King zones without having the expansion. You just get an error that you have to own the expansion to get into that area.
That builds on there being a loading screen between the areas.

Interfectum

Not sure how the layout is but they could ground all 'non-expansion' flights in Azeroth and gate all the cata zones OR let everyone go to those zones but have nothing to do once they are there (can't do quests, can't level past 80, can't go in instances, etc).

CassSept

Interfectum said:
Not sure how the layout is but they could ground all 'non-expansion' flights in Azeroth and gate all the cata zones OR let everyone go to those zones but have nothing to do once they are there (can't do quests, can't level past 80, can't go in instances, etc).
I believe flying mounts in Azeroth is a Cataclysm feature, isn't it? Though I'm not sure about this.
They can always leave the debuff that is in for example Hyjal right now, that teleports you out of the zone if you don't have expansion.

How do you get into Hyjal as of the alpha? Is it through Darkwhisper, Moonglade or flight? Haven't been able to see Hyjal due to constant crashing.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
HarryDemeanor said:
How do you get into Hyjal as of the alpha? Is it through Darkwhisper, Moonglade or flight? Haven't been able to see Hyjal due to constant crashing.
can you pm me how to set up the sandbox?

i read some have hidden keyloggers :/

sykoex said:
For Hyjal it's:

.go 1 4966.84 -2684.50 1428.34

Awesome, thanks for the coords. Hyjal looks fantastic.

Looks like Hyjal entrance is through Darkwhisper of course. Guess they'll end up doing the No Man's Land.

Somebody was able to get into Uldum and take screenshots. Place is really early and heading there gets you an instant crash because of a model.

http://frustration.free.fr/wow/Cataclysm%20Alpha/Screenshots/Kalimdor/Uldum/

Getting a nice Jawa Sandcrawler feeling from this picture:
WoWScrnShot_050710_195831.jpg

Xabora

Sax Russel said:
So there's a map file called "MaelstromZone", looks like this

mz1.jpg

That's all water, despite the terrible compression =P. And the letters down there?

mz2.jpg
Looks like they just blocked it out.

And here I await. :(

Tamanon

Banned
CassSept said:
I believe flying mounts in Azeroth is a Cataclysm feature, isn't it? Though I'm not sure about this.
They can always leave the debuff that is in for example Hyjal right now, that teleports you out of the zone if you don't have expansion.

They could easily make flying in Azeroth require a skill that you have to own Cataclysm to purchase.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
okay so this sandbox coupled with wowhead is pretty damn awesome. Say you want to spawn in kel thuzad, just go to his wowhead page,"http://www.wowhead.com/npc=15990", take the npc number in the url and spawn him in, for example:
.u 15990

To spawn items, find the wowhead page and put .i before the number in the url, like for currupted ashbringer it's
.i 22691

Some items wont work though, but most vanilla wow stuff seems to work.

Yesterday, in the rush of it all, I just kinda flew through all the new/revamped zones, but now that I'm taking a closer look at everything, it's really quite impressive. The step above WotLK zones is an even bigger one than WotLK took over TBC, and TBC over vanilla before it.

I was pretty certain that my starting zone to level would be Hyjal, cause of the lore associated with it (Malfurion, Ragnaros), but after a more thorough exploration of Vash'jir, the zone is just so beautiful, I can't resist it =O

Sax Russel said:
Yesterday, in the rush of it all, I just kinda flew through all the new/revamped zones, but now that I'm taking a closer look at everything, it's really quite impressive. The step above WotLK zones is an even bigger one than WotLK took over TBC, and TBC over vanilla before it.

I was pretty certain that my starting zone to level would be Hyjal, cause of the lore associated with it (Malfurion, Ragnaros), but after a more thorough exploration of Vash'jir, the zone is just so beautiful, I can't resist it =O

I'll be going through Hyjal first to kick ass with Malfurion Stormrage then switch to Vashj'ir once I'm done.

I'm just in love with Orgrimmar again. I didn't even know the zeppelin towers were on top now. :lol

x607r.jpg

Xabora

HarryDemeanor said:
I'll be going through Hyjal first to kick ass with Malfurion Stormrage then switch to Vashj'ir once I'm done.

I'm just in love with Orgrimmar again. I didn't even know the zeppelin towers were on top now. :lol
Obviously Horde Bias. ;)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is Archimonde's corpse still hanging off of the edge of Nordrassil? :lol

CassSept

Angry Grimace said:
On the screens it was nowhere to be seen. But Nordrassil looks pretty damn amazing now. And it seems to be much much bigger than in MH (as in, tbc raid).

Angry Grimace said:

I just checked Hyjal and it's completely gone, replaced with a brand new World Tree model. Shame to see it gone, thought it would be a nice addition to it.

Angry Grimace

HarryDemeanor said:
I just checked Hyjal and it's completely gone, replaced with a brand new World Tree model. Shame to see it gone, thought it would be a nice addition to it.
I can only hope they'll put it back; it's supposed to be there unless Malfurion went and took it down for some reason :lol

Then again, Lore-wise, being near the Well of Eternity is supposed to kill you. In MH, it just gave you a debuff :lol.

CassSept

J-Rzez said:
Friends and family had their fun already. Time to go public/media beta this week. :lol
If you call trying to play through all the crashes fun :D
From what I've heard here and there the current build is horribly bugged (as expected from the first alpha build after all). Not as bad as WotLK alpha, but still nearly unplayable.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
can anyone send me a GM command list?

that 3 year old gamerzplanet forum doesn't work for me.

this second I want to know how to fly since i have no mount

.go 1 4966.84 -2684.50 1428.34 worked

anyone want to level some characters quickly as possible through RaF? I have keys, US/Canada only, we could probably get 2-3 characters to 60 in 2-2.5 weeks(maybe less?) if we play enough. I'm in EST, PM me if you want to get some quick 60's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom