• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

mclem said:
Note that it's no longer a spell, it looks like it's a passive.

It does indeed, when I looked on WoWTal this morning it still had an '8 Sec' cooldown or length on it which they seem to have fixed.

Son of Godzilla said:
I like how survival hunter manages to have 51 friggin points in it. A full third of the tree is useless pvp crap (emphasis on the useless, not the pvp) and the spec doesn't even have aimed shot anymore.

I think MM is probably worse. You end up wasting 3 or 4 points into talents that are useless on bosses, then end up spending at least 33 into MM. The hunter trees (except BM) are a fucking mess.

markot

Banned
Judging how buggy the patch is, this is all very early >_<

Servers are crashing like crazy.

Think they mainly released it because there were lots of people at the cap, 82, and they wanted to start testing Deepholm.

And yea, some people are going so nuts over this on other forums, but its like the first build of the beta, just came out of alpha, and they just released the talent over haul and its going to change a hellllllllllll of a lot before release... They dont even have players at lvl cap yet, 85, where lots of the... 'real' testing will happen for builds and talents and stuff.

Evlar

Banned
Seeing lots of complaints about the PVP points in trees... I seem to recall that one of the bullet points included when they unveiled the new 31-point system was that they wanted all trees to have viable PVP paths in the trees, so people wouldn't occupy one of their two talent builds with a PVP spec. They intend for talent builds to be generalized for more than one job.

The problem with that concept is that the general WoW community, led by the twinks at popular forums like Elitist Jerks, reject it out of hand. Anything that isn't specialized to focus on a small set of capabilities with laser precision is considered 'gimped', and since these are the guys who obsess the most over the inner machinery of the game the broader WoW community listens to their advice and adopts their values. This is the way it's always been.

Bisnic said:
May i remind people who are complaining about the new talents that this is a BETA.

No shit. That doesn't mean that we can't analyze and criticize how it is now. I agree when people are like "OMG HUNTERS R RUINED 4EVER !1!11!!!one!11!," it is an overreaction, but some trees are currently terrible at this point in time.

Edit: Also, what else are we going to talk about? :lol

mclem

UnblessedSoul said:
Keep in mind some classes are a few builds behind which include paladins

GC said they are going to turn holy shield into a short cooldown

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/25968669894/holy-shield/

I suspect the talent that is currently called Holy Shield has become a bit conflated with this; I reckon that the cooldown ability will be separate from the uncrittable ability, the latter of which will still be a passive talent.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bisnic said:
May i remind people who are complaining about the new talents that this is a BETA.
I don't care in the least that the talents are rough; they aren't going to ship them out the door that way. I just think it's kind of obvious they were full of shit. :lol

Garryk

Has Blizzard explained how this will work for new players? Will they have to buy vanilla + cataclysm or just one of the two to play the new 1-60 content?

mclem

The Lamonster said:
So what is the most realistic release date for Cata at this point?

[Shakes the 8-ball]

October 25th!

I think it'll be after Blizzcon - allowing the release to ride on the Blizzcon news wave, and I think Blizzard would want to avoid the negative press of reaching the two-year anniversary of Wrath's release without releasing the following expansion pack, which means they can't stray *too* far into November.

I don't think releasing before Blizzcon is impossible, mind you; I'm certainly hoping for a September-ish release. But we'll see.

A thought does spring to mind that, given the current release rate in-game, the 30% ICC buff should be hitting on the week starting July 20th (Holy hell, that's next week!). I wonder, as a last-ditch "okay, here's the final opportunity to polish off the LK while he's still at least vaguely current", we could see patch 4.0 therefore four weeks after that, at some point towards the end of August?

Then a month of launch event content would see a release in late September, by that measurement. I quite like that plan!

NB: Do bear in mind that I have, in the past, predicted the Cataclysm release date in this thread, and every prior guess has been atrocious. This is likely to follow suit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Garryk said:
Has Blizzard explained how this will work for new players? Will they have to buy vanilla + cataclysm or just one of the two to play the new 1-60 content?
Let's pray they remove the requirement to buy TBC, WLK AND Cataclysm just to play the full game.

Evlar

Banned
Garryk said:
I don't know that they've said.

I expect you'll still be able to buy Vanilla only to play 1-60 content. The Cata changes to the old world will be pushed through as content patch 4.0 and available to everyone, with or without the expansion pack. The limits to running without Cata will be similar to running without TBC or Wrath: No access to the new races, inability to level past the lowest expansion pack you don't have (limiting you to 60 for Vanilla), no access to the new 81-85 zones or the Goblin and Worgen starting zones.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Angry Grimace said:
Let's pray they remove the requirement to buy TBC, WLK AND Cataclysm just to play the full game.

I think the "best" thing they will do is that they bundle everything in one box for a high price. :lol

notworksafe

Yeah, some sort of super Battle Chest with every expansion and an Authenticator for $100 would be a pretty good deal. I'm still pretty sure that Blizzard will include an Authenticator with every box copy of Cataclysm, though.

JesseZao

The Lamonster said:
My goal is to have the Green Proto Drake before Cata. Pray for me GAF

I say you just spend four months hunting the Time-Lost Proto Drake.
Only to have it be lame compared to some new random mount in Cata that flies around Mt. Hyjal

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
Do you guys believe in the authenticator process? I have been apprehensive to get one because I've heard of people who get them end up getting hacked soon afterwards.
I've not heard about that. I know a lot of hackers attach them to accounts they hack to keep the real owners out. Maybe that's what you've been hearing?

Evlar

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Do you guys believe in the authenticator process? I have been apprehensive to get one because I've heard of people who get them end up getting hacked soon afterwards.
The authenticators are very safe, assuming your machine isn't plagued with something more than a simple keylogger.

firex

The Lamonster said:
I've had one for 2+ years and never been hacked. There's no correlation.

JesseZao said:
I say you just spend four months hunting the Time-Lost Proto Drake.
Only to have it be lame compared to some new random mount in Cata that flies around Mt. Hyjal
Oh I've already spent a lot of time hunting it. I'm worried that if I ever see it, I won't be able to defeat it. Is it possible with a lvl 80 with 3839 gearscore?

The Lamonster said:

The crypto behind it is 100% secure, assuming no user error
this is the important part
. If you are the victim of a man-in-the-middle attack, that is your own damn fault.

Picture of Cho'gall. His right head is funky.

chogall.jpg

J-Rzez

The Lamonster said:

Why would people get hacked easier with an additional layer of security applied to their account? Don't listen to /2.

Anyways, still not seeing the "Fun" and "Cool" talents that were supposed to be in these new trees. They just lowered the scale of them, that's all. Boring. Cookie cutter is more prevalent than ever. And I don't believe some trees are much further along than others here, as basically every tree in the game looks to suffer the same problems.

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
Oh I've already spent a lot of time hunting it. I'm worried that if I ever see it, I won't be able to defeat it. Is it possible with a lvl 80 with 3839 gearscore?
Yep, without a problem. People were getting it back when Wrath first launched so you shouldn't have any issues.

ShallNoiseUpon said:
The crypto behind it is 100% secure, assuming no user error
this is the important part
. If you are the victim of a man-in-the-middle attack, that is your own damn fault.
I assume that means being the victim of a key logger or something? I have Microsoft Security Essentials and do a full scan every few days. Is that enough to keep me safe from a "man-in-the-middle" attack?

Also, the authenticators are sold out. Any idea on how often they re-stock these things?

JesseZao

notworksafe said:
Yep, without a problem. People were getting it back when Wrath first launched so you shouldn't have any issues.

Yeah, the main issue is tagging it and drawing it down to where you are. 78s could take it down.

notworksafe

I assume that means being the victim of a key logger or something? I have Microsoft Security Essentials and do a full scan every few days. Is that enough to keep me safe from a "man-in-the-middle" attack?

Also, the authenticators are sold out. Any idea on how often they re-stock these things?
Essentially, yes that's what it means. The authenticator makes something like that harder because the code on it changes very often (every 60sec I think). If you keep MSE updated and scan often you should be fine. Just don't visit shady websites (i.e. batttlenet.com, wurldofwowcraft.com) and you'll be fine.

Not sure how often they restock the physical units, but I imagine it's pretty often. There is a version for iPhone/iPod/Android (check iTunes/Android Market) that is free and there are super cheap versions for many other mobile phones as well.

http://mobile.blizzard.com/us-en/t401-c12902/applications-battle-net-mobile-authenticator

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Lamonster said:

It's really up to you and what you do on your computer.

I only have a free anti-virus(avast), an anti-spyware(spybot) that i use only a few times a year and an authenticator. My account was never hacked in the 4½ years i've been playing and only bought an authenticator this year because i was kinda scared of losing so much stuff even though nothing happened before, i didn't want to take any risk.

Evlar said:
Still November. If forced to guess a date, I would say the 18th.
My birthday. :D That would be a nice present.

Anyway, I guess I won't try to gear up to do some of the current end-game content. It seems like I should wait until Cata drops and replace my current quest greens with new quest greens. I wouldn't even know where to start gearing up anyway. And even if I did, it looks like most stuff will be replaceable immediately unless you're in T9 or T10 which I will probably never obtain, haha.

I would like to get a nice very fast flying mount though. Any tips? Ya know, beside buying one. =)

Confused101 said:
I would like to get a nice very fast flying mount though. Any tips? Ya know, beside buying one. =)
Buying one is much easier than "earning" one. You can get the Violet Proto Drake by doing all of the holiday achievements. It'll take a year but you won't have to rely on much luck or ridiculous timesinks. Maybe someone else has a better idea but if you don't want to buy one, I'd say go for that.

Confused101 said:
=

Heroic COS speed run (almost every run is one now) will get you the Bronze Drake. It should be noted that the expensive part of epic flying is the training, not the mount.

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Heroic COS speed run (almost every run is one now) will get you the Bronze Drake. It should be noted that the expensive part of epic flying is the training, not the mount.
That 5k took me FOREVER dammit :lol

Retro

Confused101 said:

If you can gear up enough for Heroics, pretty much everyone already has a Bronze Drake. Just run the Culling of Stratholme instance, I think even PUGs can clear up to the Corruptor in time.

Other than that, you'll be farming or waiting a year doing a ton of terrible, boring holiday achievements.

Sciz said:
Interesting that after all of the events of the last several issues of the comic that set up certain parts of Cataclysm, they're keeping Med'an himself out of it.

Not that I'm complaining.

Because he's like officially-sanctioned fanfiction, the worst kind of Mary Sue this side of Rhonin. He's a Sha-mage-adin, the long lost offspring of two central characters who would probably never hook up, and oh yeah, he's the fucking Keanu Reeves of Azeroth, complete with his own prophecy. And he's like 16.

He's not in WoW because even WoW players have the intellectual capacity to call bullshit on him. /lolore

I have no problems with buying one but I wanted to see what my options were for something a little more interesting. Only 1.5k more to go for the training. That's definitely the worst part about the the whole thing.

So what would you guys consider to be appropriately geared for heroic CoS? Mind you, I'm definitely no where close considering I'm only 75 is quest greens. Thanks for the insight!

notworksafe

Confused101 said:
There's always the Outland reputation epic mounts and the crafted flyers. I never see those anymore, even though they are relatively easy to get.

Confused101 said:
So what would you guys consider to be appropriately geared for heroic CoS? Mind you, I'm definitely no where close considering I'm only 75 is quest greens. Thanks for the insight!
It's one of the easier ones. Some blue dungeon/quest gear would be fine.

Alcoori

I looted a blue proto-drake in the Oculus Heroic, it was in the bag you get at the end. Wasn't expecting it and I was pretty happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom