• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Sciz said:
The better comparison would be that it's a combo point mechanic that's consumed like the new soul shards.

I dunno about that comparison, since shards come back over time while Holy Power is generated by using specific abilities (Holy Shock and Crusader Strike were mentioned so far).

To be honest, it's not a perfect sync with anything else in the game, and that's a good thing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ciaossu said:
Medium Glyphs are supposedly going to offer features such as this, being totally optional and not affecting raids. I could see that one happening.
...you mean just like minor glyphs already do.

notworksafe

Eh, minor glyphs will be even less than that mostly. They often reduce mana cost or remove a reagent. Seems like Minor glyphs will make your life slightly easier, Major will be more fun stuff, and Prime will be the Raid/PVP skill changers.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
Eh, minor glyphs will be even less than that mostly. They often reduce mana cost or remove a reagent. Seems like Minor glyphs will make your life slightly easier, Major will be more fun stuff, and Prime will be the Raid/PVP skill changers.
So basically the same thing, but you get double the minor glyphs?

The fact that minor glyphs just give you quality of life improvements is a given. That sounds basically like doubling your minor glyph slots, imo. Getting back an iconic Paladin ability that Paladins have had since launch doesn't sound like a "fun" glyph at all. It sounds stupid, actually.

J-Rzez

Can't wait to see how Paladins turn out now with the way they're revamping everything. They seem like they have no idea how to manage that class. I'm sure with the new system in place they will be absolutely out of control like how they were in the Wrath beta, and when they went live. Or, they'll just flat out suck. I don't have much faith in them making said class balanced. They have too much against them just how the class was built and originally intended to be.

Xiaoki

J-Rzez said:
Can't wait to see how Paladins turn out now with the way they're revamping everything. They seem like they have no idea how to manage that class. I'm sure with the new system in place they will be absolutely out of control like how they were in the Wrath beta, and when they went live. Or, they'll just flat out suck. I don't have much faith in them making said class balanced. They have too much against them just how the class was built and originally intended to be.
They could copy the successful formula they used for Death Knights.

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
So basically the same thing, but you get double the minor glyphs?

The fact that minor glyphs just give you quality of life improvements is a given. That sounds basically like doubling your minor glyph slots, imo. Getting back an iconic Paladin ability that Paladins have had since launch doesn't sound like a "fun" glyph at all. It sounds stupid, actually.
That strong wind you feel is the joke rushing over your head. I doubt that's a serious Major glyph. I'd actually like Majors to be not tied to any spell. Maybe something like a short speed boost while mounted, a reduction to HS cooldown, or a slightly raised gold drop rate would be cool ideas.

J-Rzez said:
The class was originally garbage. Seals lasted like 10s and had to be recast after every judgement. Protection was a joke. Holy was really the most viable, but still ended up being nothing but a buff bot. I would like them to be as far away from the OG Paladin as possible, please. The new Paladin mechanics sound similar to WAR's Warrior Priest...which is awesome. Really anything but the Ret "smash face into keyboard and win" and the Prot "6969 til your fingers fall off" mechanics sound great.

That all being said...I fucking miss Seal of Blood.

notworksafe said:

That all being said...I fucking miss Seal of Blood.

I don't miss it at all, I don't see why we should kill ourselves just to do some decent damage,I remember using spell power weapons during tanking back in the day, the class was such a mess :(

Nert

Would there be any interest in a GAF filled reroll/restart guild for Cataclysm? I've been out of the game for a while and I plan on coming back as an altaholic.
If this was already discussed, please let me know.

Nert said:
Would there be any interest in a GAF filled reroll/restart guild for Cataclysm? I've been out of the game for a while and I plan on coming back as an altaholic.

Both Notworksafe and I are in a horde guild on Area 52. More than welcome to reroll over with us, I know a few of us will be leveling from 1 at some point during the expansion.

jersoc

Nert said:

I might be, tired of my guild randomly quitting all the time :|

also i really hate my server.

JesseZao

I'll start a goblin on Area 52. I don't have room on Sargeras anyway so I would have to start a new race on a different server anyway if I wanted to.

If I feel really ambitious I'll make a horde DK there and resub early so I can have heirloom gear ready for it :D.

Calantus

anyone know the starting weapon proficiencies for worgen? i just got the bloody arcanite reaper for my worgen warrior, was just wondering if i'll need to go train axes.

firex

afaik, every class now starts out with all weapon proficiencies it can learn at level 1. No more hiking it to different weapon trainers.

Loxley

I just re-watched the Cata announcement teaser from Blizzcon last year, and I completely forgot about heroic Deadmines and SFK. Shadowfang Keep has always been in my top 5 dungeons list, I consider it a mini-Kharazan. Man I can't wait to check both of those out.

*edit

Unfortunately, they already said heroic VC and SFK are going to be added in a patch later. At least they hinted that there might be more heroic versions of classic instances to make up for it.

Meh, that's alright; I can wait :D It's not like we're going to be starving for things to do when Cata launches anyway.

Anywho, with regards to the Paladin discussion going on in the last page or so, I'm surprised that Blizzard hasn't combined Frost/Fire/Shadow Resistance Aura into just one aura. I can understand wanting to keep Devotion and Concentration separate for balance reasons, but I think it would make sense to combine the three resistance auras into one given how big of a fan Blizzard has become of combining/homogenizing multiple spells into into one. Although, knowing Blizzard's track record, it's likely that if they did combine them, they'd lower the resistance to something like %20.

firex

Unfortunately, they already said heroic VC and SFK are going to be added in a patch later. At least they hinted that there might be more heroic versions of classic instances to make up for it.

Calantus said:
anyone know the starting weapon proficiencies for worgen? i just got the bloody arcanite reaper for my worgen warrior, was just wondering if i'll need to go train axes.

I believe all weapon skills are being done away with. You just know how to use whatever your class can use.

firex

Loxley said:
Anywho, with regards to the Paladin discussion going on in the last page or so, I'm surprised that Blizzard hasn't combined Frost/Fire/Shadow Resistance Aura into just one aura. I can understand wanting to keep Devotion and Concentration separate for balance reasons, but I think it would make sense to combine the three resistance auras into one given how big of a fan Blizzard has become of combining/homogenizing multiple spells into into one. Although, knowing Blizzard's track record, it's likely that if they did combine them, they'd lower the resistance to something like %20.
There is a "resistance aura" listed on the mmo-champion list of paladin skills/spells in cataclysm, and a resistance totem for shamans, and BoK/MotW give a lot more resistances now. So it might actually be happening.

notworksafe

Downed five 10M ICC hard modes tonight! Had a lot of fun too. Skipped over Saurfang because he was too tough with a melee heavy group, so we'll probably try again next week when our mage is online. I really liked Deathwhisper though. Fun fight that required some tactics, but wasn't out of control. Festergut and Rotface were ridiculously easy, however.
keeblerdrow said:
I believe all weapon skills are being done away with. You just know how to use whatever your class can use.
Along with weapon skill achievements! Better get them while you can!

CassSept

notworksafe said:
The class was originally garbage. Seals lasted like 10s and had to be recast after every judgement. Protection was a joke. Holy was really the most viable, but still ended up being nothing but a buff bot.
Leveling as a retri before 3.0 was a nightmare. Really, having to recast seal every Judgement (or even without using it every 10 sec) drained mana horribly quickly.
You also have to remember about Judgement revamp (three seperate Judgements with secondary effect instead of one for all seals).
Protection, well. I wouldn't call it a joke (that title would go to Retribution or other useless specs) because it was actually helpful. I don't know how it was in vanilla, but in TBC it made it much easier to have Protadin for ZA and MH. I remember our protadin tanked one of the elementals during Illidan, so they weren't that bad.
I disagree with your third sentence too, because at least in TBC Holy Paladins were THE main tank healers of choice. They were average when it came to group healing (well, still are), but they were the class to go if you needed single target healing.

Alex

I want to push people who say vanilla WoW was the best into a boiling cauldron of lava that also has angry bees swarming around it.

mclem

Alex said:
I want to push people who say vanilla WoW was the best into a boiling cauldron of lava that also has angry bees swarming around it.

If they ever make a true 'classic server', I'd be interested to find out just how many people were willing to play a paladin in the first Alliance Molten Core raid!

Retro

So, the new "Guild Perks" have been posted over at MMO-Champion.

Am I the only one thinking how awesome "Have Group, Will Travel" (Summons all raid or party members to the caster's current location. Unlimited range, 6 sec cast / Channeled, 2 hr cooldown) would be if World PVP wasn't complete and utterly pointless shit?

Imagine sending a rogue into the middle of Stormwind keep, then summoning the entire raid right on top of Varian Wrynn? Yeah, pretty badass, but what do you get for it? An achievement and a repair bill. So much for World of Warcraft... with all of the neutral towns and ardent crusades, you'd think the Horde and Alliance are BFFs.

Bleh. Anyways...

CassSept said:
Leveling as a retri before 3.0 was a nightmare. . . Protection, well. I wouldn't call it a joke. . . at least in TBC Holy Paladins were THE main tank healers of choice.

He was mostly talking about Vanilla WoW... when Blessing of Kings was the 31 point talent for Retribution... I'd laugh if it wasn't so fucking absurd.

All of the things you listed were post-TBC. I was a Tankadin through most of TBC, so they were viable. I main-tanked big chunks of Karazhan, and not just trash either. Holy didn't really get decent (and then only as a single-target healer) until Mid-TBC. Ret was still laughable all the way to WotLK, and Blizzard proved they had no idea what they were doing because Ret came into WotLK overpowered and face-rolling, so all of the little FotM kids rolled them and now their reputation has gone from "LOLRet" to "LOLRetards".

Paladins can't win =(

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
mclem said:
If they ever make a true 'classic server', I'd be interested to find out just how many people were willing to play a paladin in the first Alliance Molten Core raid!
They were godly!

notworksafe

Retro said:
So, the new "Guild Perks" have been posted over at MMO-Champion.

Am I the only one thinking how awesome "Have Group, Will Travel" (Summons all raid or party members to the caster's current location. Unlimited range, 6 sec cast / Channeled, 2 hr cooldown) would be if World PVP wasn't complete and utterly pointless shit?

Imagine sending a rogue into the middle of Stormwind keep, then summoning the entire raid right on top of Varian Wrynn? Yeah, pretty badass, but what do you get for it? An achievement and a repair bill. So much for World of Warcraft... with all of the neutral towns and ardent crusades, you'd think the Horde and Alliance are BFFs.
I think Cash Flow is a neat one. That's in AoC and I've always thought it should be in WoW too (though in AoC it doesn't generate extra gold, and the guild leader decides the tax %). We use a decent amount of gold in my guild because flask and repairs are free to people who raid, so that'd help keep the bank filled up. Other stuff like Reinforce, Working Overtime, Quick and the Dead, and Guild Mail are neat as well.

And yeah CassSept, I was mostly referring to Vanilla PLD's. In BC they got to be a lot better, but in Vanilla the class was a joke.

Tacitus_

Retro said:
Ret was still laughable all the way to WotLK, and Blizzard proved they had no idea what they were doing because Ret came into WotLK overpowered and face-rolling, so all of the little FotM kids rolled them and now their reputation has gone from "LOLRet" to "LOLRetards".

Rets were, are and always will be known as retardins.

Loxley

Tacitus_ said:
Rets were, are and always will be known as retardins.

Yep. I've been playing a the same Paladin for five years and I can't remember a single point in that time period where Ret was "respected" as a talent tree. Either the community hates it because it's "too powerful" or laughs at it because of how pathetically weak it is; I can't recall there ever being an in-between. Sure all of the hybrids were treated like garbage up until TBC's endgame, and every class has had their moment or two in the hate spotlight, but the Retribution hate is going just as strong as ever.

I'm not sure what to think of the guild perks. I'm in a guild of mostly retired casual players, and we probably won't get any of those. So not only will we not get the cool endgame stuff, it will also take us longer to get there.

On the other hand I can see how it would benefit existing guilds and prevent people from gquitting for no reason if you have a stronger bond to them.

CassSept

notworksafe said:
And yeah CassSept, I was mostly referring to Vanilla PLD's. In BC they got to be a lot better, but in Vanilla the class was a joke.
Ah ok, I didn't play until TBC so I can't say much about it. From what I've known, most of classes were a mess in vanilla, especially with horrible itemization (that goes mainly for hybrids(.

Perks sound interesting. Can't say much about them yet, but it seems that most of guilds will try to get at least level 5 before Cataclysm (that is, during one month 4.0-Cata gap). Flask cauldrons are pretty neat, haven't heard about them prior to this announcement.

Rapstah

Hell yes at topping DPS damage as a rogue in low-level instances that are all about AOE:

wchism.png

To be fair the first tank left halfway through and had way higher DPS, but hey!

firex

If they actually balance guild leveling around what they said they were going to do (so small guilds benefit but big guilds don't outpace everybody) then it's going to be fun seeing my tiny guild of 3 active members (me and my 2 friends we play all online games with for years) level up.

Calantus

Alex said:

I played rogue in vanilla and had full 2.5 tier a couple months prior to tbc, so i had a whole lot of fun in pvp :D

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Rapstah said:
Hell yes at topping DPS damage as a rogue in low-level instances that are all about AOE:

wchism.png

To be fair the first tank left halfway through and had way higher DPS, but hey!

You laugh, but try doing low lvl instances as a prot warrior with BOA gear. You will often end up doing over 40-50% of the overall damage, AS A TANK. Revenge with the improved talent make you a beast.

Xabora

keeblerdrow said:
They still exist, you start with all of them.
But when you level, they auto-skill up to max for your level.

Blizzard restored my WoW account to me and all my items lol.......and the douche who hacked/reactivated my account was nice enough to buy a one month subscription.......which I now intend to use for a few days :D

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
Downed five 10M ICC hard modes tonight! Had a lot of fun too. Skipped over Saurfang because he was too tough with a melee heavy group, so we'll probably try again next week when our mage is online.

Yeah, it does make it a lot easier with more ranged. Last time we did it, iirc we two healed it. We had a hunter, shammy, balance druid, and a mage, along with our paladin tank who'd stun one of them every time it was up, so we took the blood beasts right out of the equation. From there, it was just a DPS race. The first time we downed him we didn't even have lust, which I thought was pretty impressive considering we're just a 10-casual guild.

Cipherr

Whoa those guild achievements ARE quite awesome.

1 Fast Track (Rank 1) Experience gained from killing monsters and completing quests increased by 5%.
2 Mount Up Increases speed while mounted by 5%. Not active in Battlegrounds or Arenas.
3 Mr. Popularity (Rank 1) Reputation gained from killing monsters and completing quests increased by 5%.
4 Cash Flow (Rank 1) Each time you loot money from an enemy, an extra 5% money is generated and deposited directly into your guild bank.
5 Fast Track (Rank 2) Experience gained from killing monsters and completing quests increased by 10%.
6 Reinforce (Rank 1) Items take 5% less durability loss when you die.
7 Hasty Hearth Reduces the cooldown on your Hearthstone by 15 minutes.
8 Reinforce (Rank 2) Items take 10% less durability loss when you die.
9 Chug-A-Lug (Rank 1) The duration of buffs from all guild cauldrons and feasts is increased by 50%.
10 Mobile Banking Summons your guild bank. Instant, 1 hr cooldown
11 Mr. Popularity (Rank 2) Reputation gained from killing monsters and completing quests increased by 10%.
12 Honorable Mention (Rank 1) Increases Honor points gained by 5%.
13 Working Overtime Increases the chance to gain a skill increase on tradeskills by 10%.
14 The Quick and the Dead Increases health and mana gained when resurrected by a guild member by 50% and increases movement speed while dead by 100%. Does not function in combat or while in a Battleground or Arena.
15 Cash Flow (Rank 2) Each time you loot money from an enemy, an extra 10% money is generated and deposited directly into your guild bank.
16 Guild Mail In-game mail sent between guild members now arrives instantly.
17 Everyone's A Hero (Rank 1) Increases Heroism points gained by 5%.
18 Honorable Mention (Rank 2) Increases Honor points gained by 10%.
19 Happy Hour Increases the number of flasks gained from using a flask cauldron by 100%.
20 Have Group, Will Travel Summons all raid or party members to the caster's current location. Unlimited range, 6 sec cast / Channeled, 2 hr cooldown
21 Chug-A-Lug (Rank 2) The duration of buffs from all guild cauldrons and feasts is increased by 100%.
22 Bountiful Bags Increases the quantity of materials gained from Mining, Skinning, Herbalism, and Disenchanting by 15%.
23 Bartering Reduces the price of items from all vendors by 5%.
24 Everyone's A Hero (Rank 2) Increases Heroism points gained by 10%.
25 Mass Resurrection Brings all dead party and raid members back to life with 35 health and 35 mana. Cannot be cast when in combat. 64% of base mana, Unlimited range, 10 sec cast

Just wow at the bolded. Not having a gathering profession as a secondary because I want to run BS/JC is going to suck for me because of Bountiful bags. Over time that little bonus would add up quite a bit. And those are some seriously alt friendly bonuses also. EVERYONE is going to start one of the new races with those bonuses in stacked on top of heirlooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom