• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

Puncture said:
Whoa those guild talents ARE quite awesome.

Just wow at the bolded. Not having a gathering profession as a secondary because I want to run BS/JC is going to suck for me because of Bountiful bags. Over time that little bonus would add up quite a bit.

They are back? The guild talent things?

Cipherr

Macattk15 said:

Yeah apparently, well they are more like achievements now, you gain 'reputation' with your guild by doing instances and other random achievements that you do in game, and as members progress through the game your guild kinda, levels up granting those bonuses to all of the members so long as they have enough Guild Reputation built up.

Supposedly only like the top 10 achievement whores in the guild are counted so that larger guilds dont just magically progress faster than the smaller ones.

ampere

I'm loving the looks of the Guild Talents. We have a pretty strong core 10 man group so we should be able to level with 10 man raids pretty well :)

Puncture said:
Whoa those guild achievements ARE quite awesome.

Just wow at the bolded. Not having a gathering profession as a secondary because I want to run BS/JC is going to suck for me because of Bountiful bags. Over time that little bonus would add up quite a bit. And those are some seriously alt friendly bonuses also. EVERYONE is going to start one of the new races with those bonuses in stacked on top of heirlooms.

stacking on top of heirlooms and RAF? That sounds to insane. To much.

20% experience gain. if a vast majority go through it like that, many players won't get to experience much of the 3000+ new quests in 1-60... they will fly through half of it in no time. and thats not taking dungeons and pvp into account.

but thats a serious nice reason to join a guild. levelling guilds are going to get big again, and I think thats awesome.

Narag

As I've been whittling away at the loremaster of kalimdor achievement, I've discovered a newfound appreciation for the various silithid quests spread around the zones. When I played in TBC, it was ultimately run around and burn through the quests in old world with the familiar ignoring of quest text. It so happens most of the ones i'd skipped in Kalimdor involved the silithid.

Looking at it from a whole, I bet it was (reasonably) interesting to progress through the various zones while levelling back in the day to find these seemingly alien (yet familiar) hives in such varying environment as well as discovering the secret behind them as you progressed to the next levelling areas.

firex said:
you mean 30% since heirloom chests and shoulders stack.
35% with that sweet ring!

Weenerz

Banned
:lol :lol Questing in Stonetalon in beta, they have a reference to BioShock, there's your typical Goblin machine named "Large Daddy" and a little Blood Elf child as the little sister.

I might stream a little later if anyone was worried. Just trying to enchant some quiet leveling atm :D

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I think i wont even use the heirloom chest & shoulder with Cataclysm, i will want to enjoy those updated zones & quests as much as i can before i lvl too fast.

Cipherr

Vigilant Walrus said:
20% experience gain. if a vast majority go through it like that, many players won't get to experience much of the 3000+ new quests in 1-60... they will fly through half of it in no time. and thats not taking dungeons and pvp into account.

I think its intentional. Remember that the whole Heirloom + Guild bonuses makes a whopping 35%, but thats only for those of us with Heirloom access. I dont think they mind the old players breezing to max level. I think the redone azeroth was done more for a more welcoming and seamless integration of brand new players to the game, and not so much for the veterans.

When I look at the UI changes, all of the new pop ups on screen when you level, popups explaining you now have aquired a talent point, 31 point trees. All of that seems like they are making the game more new player friendly. I dont think they mind that we will get a 35% bonus and power our goblin/worgen to level 80 (where the heirlooms will stop working).

firex

I wonder about the durability stuff for guild levels. I'm assuming it doesn't negate durability loss on death, but if it does, then that's huge.

J-Rzez

Bisnic said:
I think i wont even use the heirloom chest & shoulder with Cataclysm, i will want to enjoy those updated zones & quests as much as i can before i lvl too fast.

The current heirloom items don't work above 80, they said you had to buy new one's via the guild to get them, or something like that. Which makes me wonder if they screwed up and got confused with the guild perks, because I don't think they'd screw people over who bounce from guild to guild or just roll solo so they can't buy heirloom items.

Unless I just missed some news, but I thought it was new heirlooms at 85 that work 1-85 opposed to 1-80 like the current ones.

notworksafe

Yeah you get new heirlooms at 85 that work 1-85. You don't have to buy them with guild levels or anything, though, They will be available from heirloom vendors, same as now. You just have to be 85 to buy them.

Bisnic

J-Rzez said:
The current heirloom items don't work above 80, they said you had to buy new one's via the guild to get them, or something like that. Which makes me wonder if they screwed up and got confused with the guild perks, because I don't think they'd screw people over who bounce from guild to guild or just roll solo so they can't buy heirloom items.

Unless I just missed some news, but I thought it was new heirlooms at 85 that work 1-85 opposed to 1-80 like the current ones.

I wasn't talking about after lvl 80, i'm talking about the low lvls. If they are truly adding a lot of new quests and changing most of the zones, i don't want to miss many of them because i lvl up 20% faster than i should be.

Right now i dont care because ive done those old quests & zones a hundred of times, but its gonna be different after this.

notworksafe

They say that you have to buy the perks with gold. I wonder if you have to buy them on each character, or for each account that has characters in that guild, or if the Guild Leader buys them for everyone.

firex

It's probably something you buy individually, off a guild quartermaster. That's the same thing they said about the new heirlooms, so I think that's meant to be one of the new ways to get heirlooms in cataclysm if you don't want to spend your hero points on them.

firex

the goal for me is, if possible, skip some zones on each continent with the 2 alts I plan on leveling in cataclysm/4.0, then do what I skipped on other alts later.

JesseZao

Calantus said:
i won't mind missing some content on the way to 60, will make other alts more interesting.

Yeah. If you're going to do it more than once anyway, why make it boring by checking off every quest the first time? It's like people want to have mindless grinds.

markot

Banned
Buuuuuuut, if you have a 30% or 20% increase, youll eventually out level what you are up to... cause its all set up so you progress at a certain level from one hub to another, youd either have to skip quests or... do them when they are grey to you, at a certain point >.<

Also, I think youd be able to lvl 1-60 on each continent seperately without going between them... I think anyway >.>

firex

It's pretty hard to have stuff go gray when a lot of zones in cataclysm are designed with 5 levels in mind, but that's what I mean. if I'm like level 35 at the end of a zone and have two choices on kalimdor, then I'll take one choice and a later alt will take the other.

mclem

firex said:
I wonder about the durability stuff for guild levels. I'm assuming it doesn't negate durability loss on death, but if it does, then that's huge.

I assume it's a 5/10% reduction relative to the *loss*, not relative to the max, so it actually drops 9% on death rather than 10% with both ranks.

Yasser

notworksafe said:
Interesting idea for a gold sink, since they aren't adding anything new related to flying.

oh thank God! i am terrible at making gold and always found it a pain to keep riding skill up to date

notworksafe said:
Interesting idea for a gold sink, since they aren't adding anything new related to flying.

they are making 310% flying mount speed trainable, so that will also contribute to those who don't have 310% flying mount already

Alcoori

I was reading the Q&A about the DK, I don't know how I feel about them getting rid of frost tanking. I like the feeling of frost tanking, I haven't done any ICC yet but for the few raids and all the heroics I've tanked, I really enjoyed it because I love the AoE.
I tried blood tanking and didn't like it as much, but I think that had more to do with the fact that I wasn't used to the talents and skills and wasn't used to the rotation.

And somehow related, I really like dual tanking. I like the feeling of it but seems like it's gonna be 2H in cata if you wanna actually tank.

Maybe I should respec blood tank and try it out then. I'm just a bit perplexed about how you build your aggro on packs on mobs. So far with frost I put the D&D down, and then use Blood Boil and Howling Blast. Howling Blast crit pretty often so it's pretty easy to keep all the mobs on you without having to select them one by one and spam Rune Strike.
Any DK Blood Tank to enlighten me? Also, how do you use Hysteria in a tanking context?

McNei1y

The whole heirloom thing seems awesome with tbe guild perk. I really wish my main was on my server currently so I could use the heirlooms before cata.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Alcoori said:
I was reading the Q&A about the DK, I don't know how I feel about them getting rid of frost tanking. I like the feeling of frost tanking, I haven't done any ICC yet but for the few raids and all the heroics I've tanked, I really enjoyed it because I love the AoE.
I tried blood tanking and didn't like it as much, but I think that had more to do with the fact that I wasn't used to the talents and skills and wasn't used to the rotation.

And somehow related, I really like dual tanking. I like the feeling of it but seems like it's gonna be 2H in cata if you wanna actually tank.

Maybe I should respec blood tank and try it out then. I'm just a bit perplexed about how you build your aggro on packs on mobs. So far with frost I put the D&D down, and then use Blood Boil and Howling Blast. Howling Blast crit pretty often so it's pretty easy to keep all the mobs on you without having to select them one by one and spam Rune Strike.
Any DK Blood Tank to enlighten me? Also, how do you use Hysteria in a tanking context?
Dual Wield tanking will be fail in Cata if it's not already fail now because there will be no way to hit anyone with your second weapon since you can't get ToT as a tank in Cataclsym.

Heart Strike hits an additional target in Cataclysm, but the idea is that AoE tanking isn't supposed to be as "easy" for any tank, presumably because for the most part, AoE tanking required very little effort for everyone other than warriors. I'm not entirely sure how that's going to work; it seems easier so far, but I have to assume the threat/dmg is just lower on those aoe attacks (i.e. 40 sec. consecrates, Blood and Thunder, 3 target heart strike, swipe)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Macattk15 said:
They never removed the idea of guild perks, they just removed the idea that you had to actually "spec" a talent tree because they were worried some player somewhere would refuse to join a guild because they picked the wrong talents.

Even though in reality, it looks like (and I always assumed) most of the guid perks were quality of life type things (i.e. durability loss, repair, mass rez), and nothing that would make any amazing difference in like your DPS or something.

Meier

Loxley said:
Sure all of the hybrids were treated like garbage up until TBC's endgame, and every class has had their moment or two in the hate spotlight, but the Retribution hate is going just as strong as ever.
I was a warrior at launch and until they buffed us slightly (this was pre-TBC), we were less desireable as a tank than a paladin. Warriors were pretty terrible early on.

Angry Grimace

Updated Player Models

We definitely want to do it. Our artists would love to - believe me. The worgen and goblin took an enormous amount of art and animation time for Cataclysm. It's definitely on the list though. We recognize the problem with old models in shiny new armor.

Doesn't sound very promising. :(

notworksafe

Meier said:
I was a warrior at launch and until they buffed us slightly (this was pre-TBC), we were less desireable as a tank than a paladin. Warriors were pretty terrible early on.
Hybrid tax!

But really, Prot Paladins didn't exist until TBC. Sure it was a choice, but you'd be laughed out of any raid...or even any 5 man. I'm glad Blizzard has put the work they have into the talent trees. I hope they don't screw that up with the changes they are making.

Also I found this old school talent calculator on IGN. Just a nice example of how bad the talents were...even though this is after they improved the hell out of the original ones. :lol

CassSept

notworksafe said:
Also I found this old school talent calculator on IGN. Just a nice example of how bad the talents were...even though this is after they improved the hell out of the original ones. :lol
*looks at rogue talent tree* Ahhh, the legendary Improved Distract. Whoever thought of this talent, especially so deep in the tree, must have been out of his mind :lol

BTW, warrior tanks aren't too good right now. In TBC they were THE tanks (not even a single other class could've tanked Illidan!), but they are pretty bad in ICC. Paper tanks, etc. Healers simply hate having to deal with them. I hope they buff them in some way in Cata because now it's kinda riddiculous :S

Fularu

Banned
CassSept said:
BTW, warrior tanks aren't too good right now. In TBC they were THE tanks (not even a single other class could've tanked Illidan!), but they are pretty bad in ICC. Paper tanks, etc. Healers simply hate having to deal with them. I hope they buff them in some way in Cata because now it's kinda riddiculous :S
PAladins made the best tanks on Illidan (just saying)

CassSept

Fularu said:
PAladins made the best tanks on Illidan (just saying)
From what I remember, not really.
Unless you mean adds tanks.

Looking over these talents, some of these that were carried into TBC look weird now. BoK in Protection tree? Rogues having to take dodge talent to progress further into the tree? Ahhhhh

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
Hybrid tax!

But really, Prot Paladins didn't exist until TBC. Sure it was a choice, but you'd be laughed out of any raid...or even any 5 man. I'm glad Blizzard has put the work they have into the talent trees. I hope they don't screw that up with the changes they are making.

Viva la Hybrid Tax!

Protadins are the best tank in game at the moment still I believe from an overall perspective. They're still great single target tanks, and of course they lock down AoE pulls like mad. The only thing I see so far is that DK tanks may become a better AoE tank come Cata, and if I remember correctly, their blood boil has some form of debuff effect to it now?

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
Viva la Hybrid Tax!

Protadins are the best tank in game at the moment still I believe from an overall perspective. They're still great single target tanks, and of course they lock down AoE pulls like mad. The only thing I see so far is that DK tanks may become a better AoE tank come Cata, and if I remember correctly, their blood boil has some form of debuff effect to it now?
They have excellent single target threat and their multi target threat rotation is literally identical. Not to mention Ardent Defender + BoSanc. I've never really run with a dedicated DK tank, so I'm not sure how that works out, I quickly bore of tanking with any class though, I've found. I always prefer to have one if the option is available.

I might try doing some tanking on my DK in Cataclysm, although the Paladin revamp sounds promising to change around the mechanics a bit. I have to imagine the threat from Consecrate and Hammer won't be nearly as high since it lasts so long and they've stated their intent to make it harder to hold threat. The one thing I'm leery about is that the same essential Paladin tools are in the toolbox and just lowering threat overall might make it impossible to hold aggro as opposed to "harder" because Paladin's don't even have the option of spamming anything even if they wanted to since everything has a CD.

CassSept

I love my paladin tank alt. Amazing survivability. Argent Defender is a godsend. Great threat generation, both single target and AoE. On top of that, if I have any problem with it I can always pop Avenging Wrath at the beginning of the fight for huge burst threat. The only annoyance I have is going from rogues to a class with 2 sec gcd, but that's nothing. I'd love to have something to spam, but with 5 skills to use I rarely have nothing to cast. Still, that's more interesting than post-3.3 mutilate rogue :(

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
They have excellent single target threat and their multi target threat rotation is literally identical. Not to mention Ardent Defender + BoSanc. I've never really run with a dedicated DK tank, so I'm not sure how that works out, I quickly bore of tanking with any class though, I've found. I always prefer to have one if the option is available.

I might try doing some tanking on my DK in Cataclysm, although the Paladin revamp sounds promising to change around the mechanics a bit. I have to imagine the threat from Consecrate and Hammer won't be nearly as high since it lasts so long and they've stated their intent to make it harder to hold threat. The one thing I'm leery about is that the same essential Paladin tools are in the toolbox and just lowering threat overall might make it impossible to hold aggro as opposed to "harder" because Paladin's don't even have the option of spamming anything even if they wanted to since everything has a CD.

I MT'd 3 of the four raids this xpac, and tanked a little of ICC in a pinch. It just got really boring to me. Pugging was a nightmare as a tank as while DK's have great AoE threat, people were dumb and didn't give your DnD a chance to tick, pulling the mobs away from you which then made pest a no go, and they're out of your DnD so that's on cd, along with your runes. So, you have dg and dc to get the mobs onto you, and maybe a couple blood boils, but they won't stay there for long until dnd is up again.

After the heavy handed nerfs to go with parry haste attacks, and the ICC debuff, DK tanking was not fun anymore, especially in ICC. Nice to see it getting totally revamped though come Cata. Blood was the best tank spec anyways, so suppose that's why they went that tree. Frost tanks were fun in heroics, but not so much in raids.

notworksafe

Next round of 24 hour maintenance! I think this is the last of them. I know A52's turn has finally come up, at least.

We will be performing an extended maintenance for the following realms on Tuesday, July 20th. Maintenance will begin at 0:00 AM PST/PDT and conclude at approximately 0:00 AM PST/PDT Wednesday, July 21st. This is expected to last no longer than 24 hours. The following realms will be down for the duration:

Aerie Peak
Altar of Storms
Alterac Mountains
Andorhal
Anetheron
Anvilmar
Archimonde
Area 52
Arygos
Auchindoun
Azuremyst
Black Dragonflight
Blackwing Lair
Blade's Edge
Blood Furnace
Coilfang
Dalaran
Dalvengyr
Dawnbringer
Deathwing
Demon Soul
Dentarg
Doomhammer
Duskwood
Executus
Exodar
Fizzcrank
Galakrond
Ghostlands
Gnomergan
Grizzly Hills
Haomarush
Icecrown
Jaedenar
Kel'Thuzad
Khadgar
Lethon
Mal'Ganis
Norgannon
Onyxia
Scilla
Sentinels
Shattered Halls
Steamwheedle Cartel
Tanaris
Terokkar
The Scryers
The Underbog
The Venture Co
Thrall
Turalyon
Uldaman
Undermine
Velen
Ysera
Ysondre
Zangarmarsh
Zuluhed

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Ghoroum
Blizzard Entertainment

Bisnic

My 2 "main" servers are down at the same time. I was planning to play a little more Starcraft II Beta while they were down, but i learned yesterday that the Beta was closing today. Perfect timing Blizzard.

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
Next round of 24 hour maintenance! I think this is the last of them. I know A52's turn has finally come up, at least.

Probably not the last yet, my main realm didn't go down yet for 24hrs.

notworksafe

Bisnic said:
My 2 "main" servers are down at the same time. I was planning to play a little more Starcraft II Beta while they were down, but i learned yesterday that the Beta was closing today. Perfect timing Blizzard.
Guess you'll just have to get into the Cata beta! :D

Loxley said:
RIP Reck-bomb :( Oh, how I miss thee.
And now Reck isn't even worth putting a single point into. :(

Xabora

notworksafe said:
Looks like I'm not raiding tomorrow. :lol

Viva la Cataclysm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom