• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

notworksafe said:
Also I found this old school talent calculator on IGN. Just a nice example of how bad the talents were...even though this is after they improved the hell out of the original ones. :lol

Holy. Shit. :lol :lol

The priest ones are amazing. Holy Nova and Divine Spirit used to be the top talents? How did I forget this :lol :lol

And I knew it! I knew Holy Fire wasn't baseline back in the day. Had an argument with someone about that recently.

Evlar

Banned
Magnus said:
Holy. Shit. :lol :lol

The priest ones are amazing. Holy Nova and Divine Spirit used to be the top talents? How did I forget this :lol :lol

And I knew it! I knew Holy Fire wasn't baseline back in the day. Had an argument with someone about that recently.
Oh yeah. Let me tell you, that Divine Spirit was highly prized in raids.... :lol

Other spells that are considered Priest hallmarks today were doled out only to specific races: Devouring Plague (Undead only), Desperate Prayer (Human and Dwarf), Fear Ward (Dwarf only). This is the reason my Priest is a Dwarf.

notworksafe

I always thought that Priest racials were cool. Of course my first Priest was a Draenei, so I was the best PvE Priest race in the game. :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Evlar said:
Oh yeah. Let me tell you, that Divine Spirit was highly prized in raids....

Other spells that are considered Priest hallmarks today were doled out only to specific races: Devouring Plague (Undead only), Desperate Prayer (Human and Dwarf), Fear Ward (Dwarf only). This is the reason my Priest is a Dwarf.
Fear Ward was the god-mode one since lolfear was such a prized asset on certain fights.

The lack of fear ward + general weakness of totems vs. blessings is why Alli was so far and away ahead of horde raids back then. I kind of miss the idea of horde and alli actually being different though. Faction specific classes was a pretty cool idea, but I can there's no way that will ever come back, of course, given how much balancing each class takes.

Weenerz

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
Wasn't you're goblin rouge level 21 yesterday? How the hell are you level 32?

What can I say, I quest fast :lol

Also, the warlock mount is a placeholder for now, they have not put the goblin mounts in game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Weenerz said:
What can I say, I quest fast :lol

Also, the warlock mount is a placeholder for now, they have not put the goblin mounts in game.
How much of it is familiarity with the quests? How much of the "old world" questing zones would you say are actually new or revamped?

Loxley

Evlar said:
Oh yeah. Let me tell you, that Divine Spirit was highly prized in raids.... :lol

I will never forget the Horde's incessant bitching about not having Fear Ward (or, well, Blessing of Kings or Salvation for that matter) and Blizzard's eventual admission that "Yeah...Priest racials were a bad idea" at Blizzcon :lol To be fair it was pretty lop-sided in terms of convenience in raiding between the Alliance and Horde when Paladins and Shamans were still faction specific, but the whining got really obnoxious really quickly. Which I always found ironic given that, back then, the Horde stereotyped the average Alliance player as being a whiny little kid and the Horde was the "mature" faction.

Loxley said:
I will never forget the Horde's incessant bitching about not having Fear Ward (or, well, Blessing of Kings or Salvation for that matter) and Blizzard's eventual admission that "Yeah...Priest racials were a bad idea" at Blizzcon :lol To be fair it was pretty lop-sided in terms of convenience in raiding between the Alliance and Horde when Paladins and Shamans were still faction specific, but the whining got really obnoxious really quickly. Which I always found ironic given that, back then, the Horde stereotyped the average Alliance player as being a whiny little kid and the Horde was the "mature" faction.

Well alliance did whine a lot about how the Horde racials were the reason Alliance kept getting curbstomped in pvp.

Fularu

Banned
CassSept said:
From what I remember, not really.
Unless you mean adds tanks.

Looking over these talents, some of these that were carried into TBC look weird now. BoK in Protection tree? Rogues having to take dodge talent to progress further into the tree? Ahhhhh

Paladins could block 100% of the incoming hits, they took less damage than warriors unless the warrior made an unhittable set. Warriors were a close second, but that's it.

Warriors became distant thirds in sunwell (and downright horrible on KJ)

Fularu

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Fear Ward was the god-mode one since lolfear was such a prized asset on certain fights.

The lack of fear ward + general weakness of totems vs. blessings is why Alli was so far and away ahead of horde raids back then. I kind of miss the idea of horde and alli actually being different though. Faction specific classes was a pretty cool idea, but I can there's no way that will ever come back, of course, given how much balancing each class takes.
Fear was never a reason for Horde beeing behind alliance.

And behind on what exactly? The only raid the Alliance cleared before Horde was BWL. all the other ones were cleared by the horde first.

MC? Assent (now Gong show)
BWL? Drama (now dead?)
AQ40? Nihilum
Naxx? Nihilum

Ony was D&T (well, the non tauntable version anyway, horde killed the tauntable version before).

In BC, the game evened out (but horde still won it all)

Rapstah

WHat they should have done in the first place is have Shamans and Paladins available for the opposite faction but under another name (Death Knights for Paladins and... uh... something for shamans). They'd just have to re-name and re-model some spells and effects and armour sets to fit in the lore for the other side and it'd all have worked. Sort of.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Loxley said:
Which I always found ironic given that, back then, the Horde stereotyped the average Alliance player as being a whiny little kid and the Horde was the "mature" faction.

Many Horde players still think that way. With their "alliance filth" & "lol alliance r for 10 years old kidz"

Apparently, they forgot they got blood elves now. Both factions are now as whiny and immature as the other.

Angry Grimace

Door2Dawn said:
Does anyone know if Mutilate will still require daggers in cata?
Well, Assassination is a dagger spec. I can't imagine it NOT requiring it.

Swag

Alcoori said:
Leveling a Lolsmite priest waiting for cataclism. I think the name pretty much describes the feeling of the spec so far :D

I tried this before the changes to the shadow tree came around, only lasted like 4 mobs before I re-specced back shadow, mind numbingly slow killing.

Alcoori

Sebulon3k said:
I tried this before the changes to the shadow tree came around, only lasted like 4 mobs before I re-specced back shadow, mind numbingly slow killing.

Well apparently it's only viable until lvl40 or so, after that shadow spec for DPS is the way to go.
I'm just doing it because it'll allow me to heal in instances while leveling up until the double spec and also because the name was ridiculously funny :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
notworksafe said:
Also I found this old school talent calculator on IGN. Just a nice example of how bad the talents were...even though this is after they improved the hell out of the original ones. :lol
Oh my god.

CassSept

Fularu said:
Paladins could block 100% of the incoming hits, they took less damage than warriors unless the warrior made an unhittable set. Warriors were a close second, but that's it.

Warriors became distant thirds in sunwell (and downright horrible on KJ)
Really? I can't think of a single guild that I knew, nor a single tactic recommending it, that paladin should tank Illidan. Everywhere, everyone i knew, used warriors only.

Maybe it's because they had pretty weak single target threat generation. AoE tank, sure, great. But single target? Not really. Nor can I remember warriors being "distant thirds" in sunwell. Sure, they were behind ferals (especially on Brutallus), but paladins better than them? Only instance I can remember is Felmyst adds and maybe on M'uru, though I'm not sure of that second.

Tamanon

Banned
Huh, Curse acquired MMO-Champion, wonder if that means they'll transition WoR away from being a spoiler site and more towards a raiding site.

So I received a restoration notification e-mail from Blizzard yesterday (definitely from Blizzard and every link in the message leads to the right place so it isn't a phishing e-mail).
The problem is I haven't been hacked in a couple months, and the items were all ones I never earned on a realm I don't play on, and for a class I don't play.

I can't go online to check it out until this evening, am I going to be boned?

Rapstah

Perspicacity said:
So I received a restoration notification e-mail from Blizzard yesterday (definitely from Blizzard and every link in the message leads to the right place so it isn't a phishing e-mail).
The problem is I haven't been hacked in a couple months, and the items were all ones I never earned on a realm I don't play on, and for a class I don't play.

I can't go online to check it out until this evening, am I going to be boned?
Can you post the mail in here with all personal and account information edited out so that we/I can compare it to the real thing?

Rapstah said:
Can you post the mail in here with all personal and account information edited out so that we/I can compare it to the real thing?
The format came out a little weird, as I had to forward it to a different e-mail off of my phone. But it looked proper when I checked my inbox at home this morning.
Greetings,

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we investigated the situation that you

reported. We have concluded our investigation of the account and apologize for any

inconvenience it may have caused you.

After a thorough investigation, we have found this account to be eligible for restoration.

The details of the characters and/or items restored are contained below. Please be aware

that your computer may contain a malicious software program, such as a keylogger, or the

account information and password may have been shared with others. In either case, you are

responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Password, and you will be

responsible for all uses of your Password, whether or not authorized by you.

Also, note that the security of the Account is your responsibility.

Please take a moment to review the World of Warcraft Terms of Use at

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html. Prior to using World of Warcraft, we

highly recommend following the http://us.battle.net/security/checklist.html on our Account

Security site at http://us.battle.net/security/index.html. After you have checked your

computer security, you should use the Account Management Website to review your account

(http://www.battle.net/login).

Account Name: *********
Realm: Aggramar

Money Restored: 2544g 71s 76c

Item(s) Restored:
Abyss Crystal x5
Blood Garnet x2
Brilliant Stormjewel
Chilled Meat x3
Chunk o' Mammoth x8
Crystallized Water x5
Elixir of Lightning Speed
Essence of Undeath x7
Eternal Shadow x3
Eternal Water x20
Frostsavage Belt
Frostsavage Bracers
Frostwolf Battle Tabard
Frozen Orb x15
Glyph of Mind Flay
Greater Cosmic Essence x7
Greater Eternal Essence x10
Greater Nether Essence
Greater Planar Essence x13

Please note that items with random modifiers (of the Bear, of the Eagle, etc.) are randomly

generated; therefore we are unable to guarantee that you will receive the same modifier you

had on your original item. We are also unable to guarantee the restoration of trade skills,

as well as enchantments or add-ons (such as gems, scopes, etc.) that your character's items

may have possessed. While we will make every effort to provide assistance in cases of loss,

please keep in mind that the decision to go forward with a restoration is entirely at

Blizzard's discretion.

If you have any questions regarding your compromise, investigation, or restoration, please

feel free to reply directly to this email.

Thank you for contacting us. We hope you continue to enjoy your experience in World of

Warcraft!

Matthew S
Game Master Xuisho
Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment
I actually just noticed that all of the urls are actually hotlinked to bllizzard.net and then the appropriate string rather than battle.net. So yeah, definitely a phishing e-mail, just disturbing that they're getting this clever about it.

Acosta

notworksafe said:

Man, that bring back memories... I leveled as Demonology Warlock thinking that Enslave Demons was the coolest spell of the game (come on, facing demons and bind them to my will, how awesome is that?). I put the five points on it, even if I the only place in Azeroth I had found demons were in Desolace, thinking that it would be more used on high level stuff.

So when I went to Mt Hyjal as a all powerful 60 Demonologist Warlock I use the spell on the elite felguards there:

"Immune"

"Walk from the graveyard"

Awesome spell Blizzard, thanks :p

And after less then a month of being back I'm bored out of mind again sigh. Still over a month on account left, guess I'll level from time to time. Starcraft 2 till cataclysm tho...

Hopefully they won't deley it that much, October plx, hell September would be even better...

Last night I was grouped with some rude people in the Dungeon Finder, and they told me I suck because I died on a boss because I didn't reset stacks. They didn't tell me what it means and also told me to quit paying 15 bucks for a game I don't know how to play :p

What does that mean? I'm a hunter btw

J-Rzez

Nolimit_SS said:
And after less then a month of being back I'm bored out of mind again sigh. Still over a month on account left, guess I'll level from time to time. Starcraft 2 till cataclysm tho...

Hopefully they won't deley it that much, October plx, hell September would be even better...

Not a chance in hell we'll see it in Sept, though it'd make great sense to have it out then, due to the sheer boredom experienced in the game at this moment from the content being completely beat and OS 2.0 being totally lame.

I'm just finishing off leveling my priest at the moment, trying to squeeze it in until my pre-paid time runs out. It was a pretty good way to make some extra gold.

Going to be a toss up come Cata if I'll continue on as my DK as a main or my Paladin. Depends how badly they fucked up the rune system, and how cool the new Pally system turns out.

I am sick and tired of how maint is always extended. Today I could have got in more time (i'm on the east coast) in the game due to their brilliant change in maint times, but of course, par for the course I should say, they extended the maint again. What a terrible company. They should have their shit together after all these years. I wish someone would make a competitive MMO already.

Flib

The Lamonster said:
Last night I was grouped with some rude people in the Dungeon Finder, and they told me I suck because I died on a boss because I didn't reset stacks.

Garfrost?

He constantly applies a stacking debuff which can kill you. You need to hide behind the boulders he throws until they drop off.

J-Rzez

The Lamonster said:
Last night I was grouped with some rude people in the Dungeon Finder, and they told me I suck because I died on a boss because I didn't reset stacks.

Was it the nexus? Like you didn't move and got that debuff on you stacked too high and took too much damage until you died? Most people just assume that everyone did the fights 100 times by now. Hell, when I was running it on my priest and healing, I would let people die after the fight because they'd just stand there, and I got tired of throwing heals on them.

Or, was it that frost stack in Pit of Saron? You didn't get behind the boulders thrown?

Flib said:
Garfrost?

He constantly applies a stacking debuff which can kill you. You need to hide behind the boulders he throws until they drop off.
Yep! Thanks, now I know what to do.

How am I supposed to know that when it's the first time I've done that dungeon!

Kletian

One would also assume that if you've never been there to either say something, or pay attention to (and possibly follow) the other four people who are now for some strange reason all gathering behind this blue rock thingy.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Lamonster said:
Yep! Thanks, now I know what to do.

How am I supposed to know that when it's the first time I've done that dungeon!

You need to tell people its your 1st time, otherwise they will all assume you have been playing this expansion since the beginning.

So next time you do a new instance, just tell people and hope someone will tell you about the bosses.

FLEABttn said:
I did, but they were jerks and decided to just insult me for the next 15 minutes instead.

However, the vast majority of players (in my experience) have been wonderfully helpful and polite.
Kletian said:
One would also assume that if you've never been there to either say something, or pay attention to (and possibly follow) the other four people who are now for some strange reason all gathering behind this blue rock thingy.
I usually do tell people when I'm new to something. I had actually done the instance before but not that specific boss. And yeah I should have just followed the others but it all just happened so quickly, I just...*sobs*

Rapstah

FLEABttn said:
Way too many times I've asked "Is there anything specific I should know about this boss fight?" and been answered with either a kick from the group or a "just go" followed by us wiping and everyone hating me.

Flib

Just quickly look up the bosses on wowwiki.

This only really matter for the three ICC 5-mans, as the mechanics in the other dungeons don't really matter at this point.

Kletian

The Lamonster said:
I did, but they were jerks and decided to just insult me for the next 15 minutes instead.

However, the vast majority of players (in my experience) have been wonderfully helpful and polite.

Ask before the fight, not after.

Edit: basically at this point in the game (level 80) you shouldnt be expecting to have everyone hold your hand through everything new.

mclem

The Lamonster said:
Last night I was grouped with some rude people in the Dungeon Finder, and they told me I suck because I died on a boss because I didn't reset stacks. They didn't tell me what it means and also told me to quit paying 15 bucks for a game I don't know how to play :p

I'd guess that you're talking about Forgemaster Garfrost. He gives a damage over time effect to everyone in LoS which grows and grows until it becomes far too strong to heal through.

He also throws out rocks. You're meant to hide behind a rock until the damage effect times out, and then return to attacking. If you do that, the effect will never get high enough to be fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom