• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would Killzone benefit from a Wolfenstein MachineGames era treatment?

Would it help?

• Yes

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

Ian Henry

This year is an important milestone for a few franchises that are dear to me. Coincidentally, they're both 1st Person shooters. Guerilla Games Killzone was first released on the PS2 back in 2004. The series dealt with the galactic war between the Interplanetary Strategic Alliance and the Helghast empire. Although the first game was mediocre, Killzone 2(2009) on the PS3, proved to redefine everything that was missing in the 1st game. The visuals were impressive, action-enticing multiplayer (dynamic warzones :hhh:), decent narrative (although underdeveloped a bit), and we can't forget about that intuitive gunplay . The weapons had such weight, heavier feel: made it more satisfying.
!
The game opting for a more darker tone palette: gritty and oppressive, was an excellent creative choice. Killzone 2, became a template, that the series would follow and be remembered for. Even other FPS shooters afterwards took inspiration for it's design. Unfortunately, the heights that were raised, weren't truly followed by the series. As mentioned earlier, the series had a problem with narrative. Although, the concept of the political intrigue between two factions was dope. The games did not do it justice and had us focus on weak ass characters(Boring ass Jan Templar and fuck Rico)
It sucks cause Killzone has a really cool, unique world. It would've definitely benefit with an engaging narrative, something that this other FPS title did insanely well.

Machine Games Wolfenstein: The New Order(2014), was a title that definitely matched the energy that Killzone 2 five years prior. The gameplay was diverse: you could swim, take cover, use direct combat, and even dual wield. Albeit, TNO was fast paced and fluid. And you weren't just fighting soldiers, the games had you fighting abominations, robot, and mechanized dogs . Plus, the character development of BJ Blacowicz and other characters was amazing, impactful. You could tell that the crew had deep hatred and damn good reasons to take down the Nazi's.
!
This scene is an example of Wolfenstein: The New Saga approach. There is an effective balance between gameplay and narrative. It lets you feel but it doesn't take you out of the immersion. It's dark but it still has moments of pulp and humor as it takes you through an altered history of the 1960s: where the Nazi's have succeeded taking over globally.

Last edited:

Ian Henry

(Continued)
If Playstation were to get off their ass, Killzone is probably the best shooter IP to revive. It may not have the crazyy weapons of Resistance or the realistic, tactical nature of SOCOM, but one thing it does have over them is personality. The Helghast, with their red glowing eyes and black armored uniforms, were such intimidating figures. Guests from hell. There was a reason why Playstation would use their likeness for marketing. They had such a great design and that got people jntrigued about the game.

It was criminal that GG or Playstation did not commence a game pertaining to the Helghast. We learn of their origins and history, but we truly haven't seen things from their perspective. A Killzone game that uses Wolfenstein New Saga's design philosophy would be amazing. Playing as an Helghan who has to fight for his country and find out his race was mistreated improperly by the ISA would be a fantastic way to understand the world’s impact. It doesn’t have to be Apocalypse Now type shit but it does need a story that can match the aura the series had in it's heyday.

There so many possibilities narrative-wise,you can delve into the ISA propaganda. Showcase that they're not as heroic as they claim to be (which the games did hint at). You can have a batch of young soldiers entering the cold war conflict and paint it as a coming of age story. So many Gen Zers would definitely back it, if you have the character designs that match the youth aspect. It would definitely expand the franchise to a new audience.

However, since it's 30 years of Playstation, do y'all feel that Killzone could from this benefit from a Wolfenstein: The New Saga styled makeover or nah? Let me know in the comments

KZ only ever needed a faster gameplay tempo. Shadowfall was artistically incredible, but it happened at a moment when all FPS attention went to MP (and it was a slug at 30fps and noticeably less stable in MP than its competitors).

Now this is where we find ourselves, utterly stuck with GaaS and MTX nonsense.

Killzone 4 with proper Gritty war setting. Copy KZ 2 class system and game modes, take perks from KZ3. 4K 60FPS. Retcon KZ3 and Shadowfall.
This is basically what I want.

Reboot the series and make it more like Killzone 2/3. Honestly I’d just take a remake that allows them to change stuff and steer it in a different direction.

Killzone 2/3 are still 2 of my favorite FPS games of all time.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Killzone 4 with proper Gritty war setting. Copy KZ 2 class system and game modes, take perks from KZ3. 4K 60FPS. Retcon KZ3 and Shadowfall.
They should retcon the ending of kz2, i need my visari speech intro in every kz game.

Fahdis

This is basically what I want.

Reboot the series and make it more like Killzone 2/3. Honestly I’d just take a remake that allows them to change stuff and steer it in a different direction.

Killzone 2/3 are still 2 of my favorite FPS games of all time.

Have Platinums for 4/6 games. Mercenary got lost while moving but I have MP done for it. Finished MP for KZ:SF. Safe to say I just have to finish the SP for both. SF on Elite is insane.

Bry0

I think killzone 2 type atmosphere, modern graphics and environmental destruction with larger scale set pieces. A better narrative focused on war and it effects on the two factions, a decent multiplayer and maybe some kind of horde like gears mode. Keep the first person cover systems from the older titles. That would be a sweet game imo, but it’s probably not “live service” enough for “modern audiences”.

King Dazzar

Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office

Lets see how Indy turns out. But I dont think MG are that great tbh.

Fahdis

They should retcon the ending of kz2, i need my visari speech intro in every kz game.

This means they bring back Radec 😍

Some Excerpts from KZ1...

"My people... sons and daughters of Helgahn"

"You, the strength in my arm, the holders of my dreams."

As a matter of fact the entire KZ2 speech is absolutely amazing.

"My people... Sons and Daughters of Helghan. This much I vow: The history of these days will be written in blood. By crushing the armies of our enemy, by seizing the weapons they thought to turn against us, we were fighting for our very existence. But if there are those who would deny us peace; refuse us our rightful place in the universe, then we will unleash such terrible vengeance that generations yet unborn will cry out in anguish!

The enemy may shatter our bodies, but they cannot break our spirit. Even now they advance on our home world, to seize by force what they cannot claim by right. They cannot imagine what awaits them. WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES!

Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities... they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast."

Propaganda:

"We will unleash a whirlwind on our land, our guns will never tire and we will beat back the foe!"

Brian Cox's delivery is just "chef's kiss".

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You can already tell he's going to be sidelined by the strong woman companion he has, and he'll be called weak and made fun of and he'll get rescued by her many times.
So basically same thing as in the last movie, right?

oh no

Last edited:

yurinka

This year is an important milestone for a few franchises that are dear to me. Coincidentally, they're both 1st Person shooters. Guerilla Games Killzone was first released on the PS2 back in 2004. The series dealt with the galactic war between the Interplanetary Strategic Alliance and the Helghast empire. Although the first game was mediocre, Killzone 2(2009) on the PS3, proved to redefine everything that was missing in the 1st game. The visuals were impressive, action-enticing multiplayer (dynamic warzones :hhh:), decent narrative (although underdeveloped a bit), and we can't forget about that intuitive gunplay . The weapons had such weight, heavier feel: made it more satisfying.
!
The game opting for a more darker tone palette: gritty and oppressive, was an excellent creative choice. Killzone 2, became a template, that the series would follow and be remembered for. Even other FPS shooters afterwards took inspiration for it's design. Unfortunately, the heights that were raised, weren't truly followed by the series. As mentioned earlier, the series had a problem with narrative. Although, the concept of the political intrigue between two factions was dope. The games did not do it justice and had us focus on weak ass characters(Boring ass Jan Templar and Fuck that nigga Rico :jordanlaff:)
It sucks cause Killzone has a really cool, unique world. It would've definitely benefit with an engaging narrative, something that this other FPS title did insanely well.

Machine Games Wolfenstein: The New Order(2014), was a title that definitely matched the energy that Killzone 2 five years prior. The gameplay was diverse: you could swim, take cover, use direct combat, and even dual wield. Albeit, TNO was fast paced and fluid. And you weren't just fighting soldiers, the games had you fighting abominations, robot, and mechanized dogs . Plus, the character development of BJ Blacowicz and other characters was amazing, impactful. You could tell that the crew had deep hatred and damn good reasons to take down the Nazi's.
!
This scene is an example of Wolfenstein: The New Saga approach. There is an effective balance between gameplay and narrative. It lets you feel but it doesn't take you out of the immersion. It's dark but it still has moments of pulp and humor as it takes you through an altered history of the 1960s: where the Nazi's have succeeded taking over globally.

Nah, Killzone 2 and 3 were miles better than the Wolfenstein games in all areas even if way older. I'd remaster/remake them with Killzone 1 and Killzone Mercenary in a 4K 60fps collection updating the assets, lighting and shadows, keeping the rest as they were.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Gameplay in Shadowfall honestly wasn't that bad. Characters had no identity/personality, story was not well executed, and they leaned into the DS4 touchpad stuff a bit too much, but the gunpla was pretty good.

Ian Henry

Guerilla needs to prove it can make an interesting character first.

Wolfenstein benefits from being based on old id games ip. It simplifies everything.
True. It is a legacy IP. However, MachineGames knew how to properly tell a story. Like you mentioned, Guerilla needs to give their characters depth first and properly execute it.

Stu_Hart

Neo Member
No, because wolfenstein actually had good, responsive controls and is fun to play. Killzone is a sluggish mess of a game, and the lore/story is not well told.

kingwingin

Get bluepoint to remake 1, Release 2 on ps5 in 4k/60 and reboot 3 with a better ending so we can keep the series going.

Fahdis

The good news is that even the worst Killzone game, Shadowfall, is LEAGUES better than Concord. Shadowfall's multiplayer dunks on Concord.

Shadowfall was serviceable at best. I enjoyed the MP somewhat with the new DLC class but the guns were lacking in sound and firepower, the arenas seemed colorful and fruity since most of it was on Vekta. The designs felt like Gen Z bs minus one or 2 sniper/assault from Helghan's side. Too many daytime levels in MP. Choke points sucked with Engineer (not balanced). The dam level with the set piece was damn great where you could open the valve.

Resistance 2 and KZ 2 MP were absolutely great. And neither was mid. Resistance 2 lacked in everything minus the fun factor it was literally the fact there was 60 players on each side? Lmao, watching a horde of Chimera players was absolutely great. KZ 2 MP is GOAT don't think it may have been your cup of tea though.

Shubh_C63

There will never be an exclusive first party shooter at Sony.

They will have to go toe to toe with games like Stalker, Atomic Heart, Future Bioshocks or CoD, BF, Overwatch, PUBG etc.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Killzone's writing and character development has always been boring 'oorah' trash. So definitely yes.

From Riddick Escape from Butcherbay, The Darkness, Wolf New Order and New Colossus (I don't count the co-op, as it's a B-team side game, and not in the spirit of what the A-team has put out).

Hudo

Shadowfall was serviceable at best. I enjoyed the MP somewhat with the new DLC class but the guns were lacking in sound and firepower, the arenas seemed colorful and fruity since most of it was on Vekta. The designs felt like Gen Z bs minus one or 2 sniper/assault from Helghan's side. Too many daytime levels in MP. Choke points sucked with Engineer (not balanced). The dam level with the set piece was damn great where you could open the valve.

Resistance 2 and KZ 2 MP were absolutely great. And neither was mid. Resistance 2 lacked in everything minus the fun factor it was literally the fact there was 60 players on each side? Lmao, watching a horde of Chimera players was absolutely great. KZ 2 MP is GOAT don't think it may have been your cup of tea though.
I agree, but my point only was that even the worst Killzone was a better game than Concord.

That being said, I still think that Killzone was a mid franchise at best.

There will never be an exclusive first party shooter at Sony.

They will have to go toe to toe with games like Stalker, Atomic Heart, Future Bioshocks or CoD, BF, Overwatch, PUBG etc.
Atomic Heart came out of nowhere and Stalker was revived from the dead when we already have the Metro series. If Sony made a really good game i doubt it wouldn't stand a chance.

Killzone 2 is a masterpiece by the way. Don't know if there is talent and time available to make a game like this today though.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Personal opinion :
As much as we like to shit on GOW's Atreus, the Killzone franchise has got some of the WORST main characters/protagonists EVER, Rico and the other white dude are literally insufferable and have the charisma of a black hole, it's fookin' atrocious Hu'HAA stuff at best and insufferably boring and generic at worst.
Scolar Visari is the only salvageable character in the whole franchise.

In fact, I'd equate Guerilla games to Ninja theory - both are good on the tech side but G'damn if they're both horrible when it comes to actual good writing and likeable characters.
Aloy is literally an unlikeable Mary Sue® and as for the other characters in the Horizon games...shit, they might as well not exist to begin with since they're THAT boring/uninteresting, every dialogue in both games is a snore.
Sylens is the only likeable NPC but that's mainly due to L.Reddick's always stoic acting.

Anyway, this franchise could use a reboot, it just needs to be grimdark as fook, have some nice, actually likeable characters and as for the gunplay...it doesn't need 200+ms of input lag as to make it feel "heavy".

Top Bottom