• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you head back to arcades if...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Price is an isssue regardless of how many people here try and down play it...

Arcades need to offer experiences that cannot be had in a home environment.

The Dreamcast made going to the arcade awfully redundant for me since I had all those games at home, many before they were even released in the arcade.

Arcades need to re-establish themselves as a place for bleeding-edge gaming technology.

callous

I'm currently in Hong Kong, and if arcades back home (Scandinavia) were anything like they are here, I would go often. I'm like a kid in a candy store.

One enormous soccer/football multiplayer setup by Sega that incorporates cards and big screens and shit has me especially impressed. Prices are great, too.

Insertia

Arcades died when I payed $2.00 to play Silent Scope and died within seconds and needed to insert another $2.00 to continue.

Ninja Scooter said:
probably not. IMO, the height of arcades was in the early-mid 90s when there when competitive games are what drew huge crowds of people around machines like Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Killer Instinct, ect... IMO, online gaming has sort of taken that over (and i don't mean console online gaming. IMO Counterstrike and Unreal are this generations Street Fighter) and so arcades have just become more about "experience" based games, where you pay $1 to play a motion sensor boxing game for 2 minutes or goof arund with your buddies on a DDR machine as a goof after having one too many beers at Dave and Busters.

Actually, for me, that's when they started to die. I'd walk in and go "Oh, look, a fighting game here, a fighting game over here, hey, there's a fighting game down there. And what's this? Oh my....a fighitng game!" It got to the point where the only thing you could play in the arcades around where I live were fighting games or sit down racers. Much more variety and games of greater depth could be found at home.....arcades were no longer needed.

ArcadeStickMonk knows his shit. The arcade in my local mall (biggest mall in the state) fucking DIED a couple months back. Reason? Not enough new games and the ones they had were broken and overpriced. They lowered the prices on everything in there just a month or two before closing up and guess what? Those were the best months that place saw in a long time. Not enough to save it from closing though. Strikers 1945 III almost always had somebody on it when it was 25 cents a game. I couldn't go in during lunch and just play there was always a line.

The newest game they had was Tekken 4 and that was way back when it had already been in other arcades for a year already. Not to mention that the joysticks or buttons were always screwed up (same with MvC2). If they would have gotten Soul Calibur 2 or something newer it would have helped a lot. We used to have HUGE crowds for MvC2 when it was new and that lasted for over a year. When the DC version came out it happened all over again.

Bah. I guess the owner was just a fuckin cheapskate or something. Maybe he had no business sense. Like that other guy said, you gotta spend money to make money. Oh yeah that reminds me, the Time Crisis 2 machine always had those cheapass replacement guns and one screen was blacker than the other. Great way to make people want to play, eh?

Top Bottom