• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW Open Beta SOON!

AeroGod

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/

openbeta.jpg

Ohh shit

Sometime time next week it looks like. Awesome!

El Papa said:
DAMMIT!

I was planning on refocusing on my schoolwork...not that plan's gone to hell.

It hits right in the middle of midterm season. Thanks Blizzard. :(

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What build of the game will it be?

I was in stress test and some of my friends are in closed now, and they recently added a bunch of textures and whatnot. The water is improved, but still crappy.

To all the idiots that paid $300+ for a beta account post-ST... AHAHAHAHA :lol

Edit- I'll also take this moment to say I hate a good portion of beta testers who I knew were going to bitch at the announcement.

Jupiter

What videocard should I get that will run this game? Under $200. I currently have an Athlon 64 3000+ with a Geforce 5200.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
oh shit... i'm fucked. i've got assignments and exams looming over me... and now this. damn it.

Hooker

Fucking hell... and I JUST bought Dawn of War and CS:S :|

Life's good for a PC games, school not so much :(

That sucks. WoW isn't for ready for retail.... And from the recent QA, and now the open beta announcement, it seems like they are rushing the release a bit. Not like I won't buy it though.

DSN2K

getting bored and stuck now.... :(

its taking forever to level up and the new quests are too hard for my level.... little confused as this is my first time playing this sort of game.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Cerebral Palsy said:
That sucks. WoW isn't for ready for retail.... And from the recent QA, and now the open beta announcement, it seems like they are rushing the release a bit. Not like I won't buy it though.

Oh, c'mon. =P Half the closed beta board is saying this too, and it's silly. (And some of their comments are really self-centered and annoying too. Not saying you are doing this Cerebral Palsy, but many of them are like "Waaaah, I don't want my characters [that i've been f'in lucky enough to have been playing for free since feburary] to be wiped and there to be an influx of new people!!" God >_<)

Anyway, this game has been in development FOREVER. How much longer do you want it to be pushed back?

The developers are currently working 15 hours a day 7 days a week. They will continue to do this throughout open beta. Hell, they will continue to do this after the actual CDs are pressed and up until launch day (when there will be a patch).

The game is ALREADY better than any MMO out there. Now also take into account what I just said above, and that the game probably won't be out for another 40 days.

MrCheez

DSN2K said:

its taking forever to level up and the new quests are too hard for my level.... little confused as this is my first time playing this sort of game.

Sorry to hear it man, but don't give up on it! Maybe try a new class? Try exploring and finding a new area? If some quests are too hard, don't be afraid to try out grouping - it's a big focus in games like this :) (Though WoW has the best soloing in any MMO I've played)

Although if you want to take a break from the game until open beta, I'd be happy to keep your account warm for you. ;)

So how has the download worked in the past? Do we get it through Blizzard's site? A torrent? Fileplanet?

(Please don't say Fileplanet)

DS2 what lvl/faction are you? Honestly, there is only one place you should get stuck (Which is unfortunately very early), at lvl 9-11. I've hit a brick wall at that point with every single character except for tauren. Dwarves/Gnomes *should* have an easier time too, but I haven't made any.

I'm probably not gonna play the open, especially if they do a wipe before it.

Edit: The entire client is on a torrent.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
DSN2K said:

I'm thinking the game is just not for you... some like MMO's, some don't. This one's leveling pace is actually faster than most others. Quests are easy to do when you do them in a group, try that. Or you could try joining a guild.

Cerebral Palsy said:

It's the same thing for every damn MMORPG to date. What would be the point to release all in Closed Beta, and without new content for the retail?

Bobety

Cerebral Palsy said:

I only got to play the game for a week in the stresstest but even from that it seemed more ready for retail than some other MMOGs which have been out for ages now

hiryu

Im Lvl 12, Human Warrior.

Head to the dwarf lands and the night elf lands and do some of their starting quest. You don't have to stay in the human lands. That's why they have gryphons. Don't be afraid to run to new areas. For instance take a trip to Ironforge and then run to Loch Modan. There should be plenty of quest there for you. That should get you high enough to do the quest in Westfall.

Razoric

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:

Ugh, I played the game on the Stress Test and I felt THEN it was ready (and I was playing a damn Warlock). The devs said that there are at least 2 patches before open beta, and then who knows how many fixes between open beta and release. And even after the game goes gold I'm sure there will be a patch to download when we first sign on.

The people in beta seem to be getting this selfish tone to them... like if they don't get what they want it's Blizzard's or Viv's fault. Blizzard is "rushing" it because not all the whiny players get more power for the char. :\

Also, I think open beta will be better for the game. The beta testers are getting stuck in this rut and they are nitpicking every little thing and if they dont get what they want then blizzard is wrong, they suxxor and they are being "pressured" :\ (give me a break). They need some new blood that will look at this game as a whole, not piece by piece as a lot of alpha / beta testers have seen.

What I played was stable, bugless and FUN! It was more polished than a lot of OFFLINE PC games. I want to play more of this! I want to start leveling my character NOW. I don't care if weather isnt finished. I dont care if Hero Classes aren't in. I have faith those will come in time, for now I just want to PLAY it.

akascream

Banned
It's not ready for retail. Horde content is still slim, high level skills aren't in, talents still aren't in for all classes and the game still has bugs and balance issues that need to be worked out. Definately ready for open beta imo though.

Is the client still available through torrent? If we're interested in playing in the open beta, should we go ahead and download it now?

And if so... anyone have a link?

AeroGod

Banjo Tango said:
Is the client still available through torrent? If we're interested in playing in the open beta, should we go ahead and download it now?

And if so... anyone have a link?

You can only download it if you are in the beta. So no. :p

Anyways, Im pretty sure Open Beta will be thorugh torrent just like closed beta. Who knows though, maybe they will hook up with fileplanet again. Too early to tell. ALOT of people will be downloading this though. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if it went to fileplanet again, only this time it would probably be open to all and not just subscribers.

Joeholley

Jupiter said:
What videocard should I get that will run this game? Under $200. I currently have an Athlon 64 3000+ with a Geforce 5200.

The game runs very very well on a 128mb 256-bit Radeon 9800, which can now be found for ~175 dollars, and is a significant improvement over a FX 5200.

Hooker

^ Not to mention you can flash a large percentage of them to XT's (a lot of the cards made recently have re-flashed r360 cores :))

Razoric said:
What I played was stable, bugless and FUN!

Congrats. What you played no longer exists. Crashed to desktop a whopping 15 times yesterday in about 5-6 hours of play. You seem to be ignoring that something like 3000 beta testers were added within a month. And don't dismiss people as just whining about their classes. Right now there are some serious problems not only with stability of the game, but the enjoyability of it for certain classes with the changes they've implemented since ST.

MrCheez

True, but it's silly to think they won't be able to address these things before November IMHO.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
MrCheez said:
True, but it's silly to think they won't be able to address these things before November IMHO.

Oh yeah, how MMO's have said this before? Some haven't addressed their "beta issues" in years!

calder

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I can't wait to get back in, even for a bit. I'm in such denial I haven't even uninstalled the ST. ;)

I got an undead warrior, a night elf hunter and a gnome mage up to lvl 12+ so I'm not sure what I'll want to do this time. I dabbled with a Tauren druid and that was fun, I might try another druid and get those transformation skills I couldn't reach last time. My necromancer was only lvl 3 (I started it like 2 hours before the ST ended) but that was fun too.

There is still major class balancing to be done. I don't even think Hunters have their talents yet. And I don't know about other classes, but the Rogue's Combat talent tree is screwed beyond belief. The horde side of the game isn't half as polished as the alliance side is quest wise etc. Quests are very lacking in highend zones, some of which were only recently added to the game. Itemization also needs to be reworked in a lot of these zones, as do item stats in general. It's rediculous when half of the time green items are just as good as blue items for the same level range. The PVP system, as Blizzard intended, isn't even in the game yet. Blah Blah Blah.

Ugh, I played the game on the Stress Test and I felt THEN it was ready (and I was playing a damn Warlock).

Well, earth to you, adding Warlock talents, as will Hunter talents, brought on a whole new set of balance problems. It's great you got to play the game for a whole week, but I still have to disagree that it is ready for release at this point.

Meh, we'll see how the next two patches go.

akascream said:
It's not ready for retail. Horde content is still slim, high level skills aren't in, talents still aren't in for all classes and the game still has bugs and balance issues that need to be worked out. Definately ready for open beta imo though.

Ordinn on WoW Boards said:
Remember:

1. We are working on the Horde zones internally right now.

2. There will be more patches before open beta.

Tadam.

I crash at least 5 times a day running through IronForge alone, and I don't spend that much time there. And those aren't the only crashes.

akascream

Banned
Hunters and Palidins still don't have talents. Warlocks have 2 out of the 3 trees of talents, and the existing 2 need to be, and will be reworked. Warlocks still don't have all thier pets.

A big part of the hunter class are beast abilities they can train thier pets.. not sure if more are planned but they only have 4 that I've seen so far. Also, afaik, level 30-60 skills aren't even in, just new ranks for older skills. I want to remember blue text on all skills not being in the game yet.

PvP isn't in yet, nor tested.

Horde quests are pretty bad.. some zones are just empty (ashenvale horde cities are ghost towns), stonetalon was pretty boring. Thousand needles finally has quests but every one needs rewards.

Read my post. I said its not ready for retail. Obviously there will be more patches and an open beta process before the game goes gold.

Top Bottom