• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

RwObUj2.jpg

XqURJ2q.png

The following logos and faces are legible in the behind the scenes video. This list has been updated to reflect names that readers have noticed.

- AEW
- IMPACT Wrestling
- New Japan Pro-Wrestling
- Enzo Amore
- Tony Khan
- Cody Rhodes
- Brandi Rhodes
- Marty Scurll
- The Young Bucks
- Chris Benoit
- CM Punk
- Jim Cornette
- Alberto El Patron
- Ryback
- Ashley Massaro
- “Superstar” Billy Graham
- Vickie Guerrero
- Flag of Hong Kong
- Flag of Taiwan
- Flag of Tibet

No NWA or ROH in the banned list? Ouch. Even Impact is on there and they couldn't draw a dime on paper these days.

cryptoadam

Banned
MJF should be fighting Sammy to get into the IC.

Sammy doesnt like him and you cpuld build the intrigue of who will Jericho side with. And then when MJF beats Sammy it furthers the tension between them because MJF beat Sammy to get in.

You also dont give away MJF Jerhico on no build.

Heck even make Chris the ref for extra drama. And sammy could be pissed that CJ didnt cheat for him.

The following logos and faces are legible in the behind the scenes video. This list has been updated to reflect names that readers have noticed.

- AEW
- IMPACT Wrestling
- New Japan Pro-Wrestling
- Enzo Amore
- Tony Khan
- Cody Rhodes
- Brandi Rhodes
- Marty Scurll
- The Young Bucks
- Chris Benoit
- CM Punk
- Jim Cornette
- Alberto El Patron
- Ryback
- Ashley Massaro
- “Superstar” Billy Graham
- Vickie Guerrero
- Flag of Hong Kong
- Flag of Taiwan
- Flag of Tibet

I read this list before bed and laughed my ass off. Good reminder of why I quit watching WWE in 2020 finally. Vince McMahon is such an out of touch man.

DKehoe

I hope she'll be ok. As someone who did and still does have mental health issues, it's never easy. I hope she finds happiness in her life.

It's sad since she seems to have so much potential and is so well regarded by everyone she's worked with. I hope she's able to excel at something outside of wrestling. Or maybe she's able to overcome these issues and return. Either way, like you said, I hope she finds happiness.

DKehoe

It’s great to see Kingston get this platform after being such a great promo for so many years.

Also I checked out the Walter vs Ilja Dragunov match from NXT UK after hearing the hype around it and really enjoyed it. Anyone else seen it?

Dthomp

It’s great to see Kingston get this platform after being such a great promo for so many years.

Also I checked out the Walter vs Ilja Dragunov match from NXT UK after hearing the hype around it and really enjoyed it. Anyone else seen it?

Glad for Kingston, he's been great in AEW, and I'm at the point where boring Dean needs to drop the belt, and I'm starting to not even care who it goes to. They need to start building up the non "WWE" guys. Every belt outside of the joke womens belt is a former WWE scrub.

DKehoe

Glad for Kingston, he's been great in AEW, and I'm at the point where boring Dean needs to drop the belt, and I'm starting to not even care who it goes to. They need to start building up the non "WWE" guys. Every belt outside of the joke womens belt is a former WWE scrub.

It seems they are building Moxley and Omega, and I also think they wouldn’t want Moxley losing an I Quit match. It also seems like they don’t want to change that title too much. But you never know. I saw a suggestion that the 2000s indy fan in me wants to see where Chris Hero shows up and costs Kingston the match. But I doubt that’ll happen.

Dthomp

It seems they are building Moxley and Omega, and I also think they wouldn’t want Moxley losing an I Quit match. It also seems like they don’t want to change that title too much. But you never know. I saw a suggestion that the 2000s indy fan in me wants to see where Chris Hero shows up and costs Kingston the match. But I doubt that’ll happen.

Hero looked rough his last NXT run. Dude needs a personal trainer badly. My hope is that they finally put the belt on a dominant heel Omega cause his role this first year has been a complete waste after his stellar last few years in NJPW. I fear that he'll want to put Page over cause they aren't selfish enough to realize they (Him and the Bucks) need to go over at some point to make your company feel less WWE-lite. If only Cody got the memo about occasionally putting somebody else over, but then he wouldn't be playing his hero HHH every week on Dynamite.

waylo

Banned
Been a fan of King since 2005'ish. PPV is ordered and I am pulling hard for dude. I hope him and Mox destroy eachother.

Dthomp

Ugh I wish I wasn't so broke. This show is gonna be killer as hell. Only downside is my boi Luchasauraus isn't on it haha

I'm torn on this PPV and I haven't missed an AEW one yet. Too many "meh" matchups for me. NWA Title match, Shida/Rose again, OJ/Steroid Midget, Hardy/Sammy (This feud should have ended months ago), HHH/Young Child

Excited for Tag Title match, Jericho/MJF, and Omega/Page.

Don't care at all about main event. I hate main events that the outcome is 1000% already known. There is no chance Moxley quits here so outside of some sort of surprise after the match this event ends with a whimper and not a bang.

Last edited:
I'm torn on this PPV and I haven't missed an AEW one yet. Too many "meh" matchups for me. NWA Title match, Shida/Rose again, OJ/Steroid Midget, Hardy/Sammy (This feud should have ended months ago), HHH/Young Child

Excited for Tag Title match, Jericho/MJF, and Omega/Page.

Don't care at all about main event. I hate main events that the outcome is 1000% already known. There is no chance Moxley quits here so outside of some sort of surprise after the match this event ends with a whimper and not a bang.
Omega/Page i only saw snippets of, sadly. Bucks/FTR was fricking great. I found the Hardy/Sammi Deletion Match wildly entertaining thanks to a certain someone showing up.

I didn't care for Jericho/MJF sadly. The rest were ok although i did enjoy Cody RHODES against Darby

Dthomp

Man, the older I get and the years I've watched wrestling I just don't see it the same way most folks do it seems. SquaredCircle is jerking eachother off all over the place over what I thought was a pretty average PPV.

Preshow Match - I legit would have fell asleep had I not been eating dinner. I don't get why Serena is their champ right now, but she's just too old and generic for me to care about her in AEW.

Omega/Page - Seemed fine, not gonna lie I was watching the Presidental speech while watching this. This is the Kenny we should have had the first year of AEW. But SC is already drooling over Kenny beating Mox so Midcard Adam Yawn can be the first dude to kick out of the OWA and become champ. I get that Page is young and has potential, but I see nothing in him that makes me think he belongs anywhere near the main event yet. I don't overly care for his in ring work, and being an alcoholic is not a character. SCSA would have never been a star on drinking alone, he was a top of the company level promo and caught fire fighting the boss. You can't recreate that, and I don't think Page is anywhere near those levels of promo. 2-3 years in the midcard is still needed to build him into a full character/worker.

OJ/Little Big Dude - I legit hate OC, I don't get it...and the fact that he has a winning record should be seen as an embarrassment. This is a dude I'm fine with popping up in a battle royale or something dumb, but he is featured WAY to much for the talent here. I don't get the little DO guy, like his whole personality is he's like 4 feet tall and has muscles?

HHH/Darby - Still was watching President, match seemed boring to me. Cody dominates most of the match and loses to a fucking rollup? Cause you can't just put Darby over strong, you have to dominate and toy with him until he fluke wins? Fuck Cody, I can't wait to look back and see his AEW run being even more self serving then any time of the HHH/Cena awful eras. This story was easy to tell and they didn't bother. Darby in the first encounters came closer and closer, and this should have been built up for more then a couple weeks about him finally overcoming this hurdle and doing it legit, not with a rollup. SC seems to love saying how Cody "elevates" all these guys...who all go on to do nothing after their feuds with him, and yet when Cena/HHH were doing the same thing they were burying folk.

Shida/Rose - FFS, this match was also getting big praise...and honestly this was one of the worst womens matches I've seen in a long time...and I watch DYNAMITE. I love Shida, but Rose is like Nia Jax levels of bad, her athleticism carries her through spots that someone like Jax would botch, you don't praise that. Had she not been born and lived much of her life as a male she would not have the ability to save some of these awful attempted spots. I hope these two never wrestle again. Rose is just too large for the womens roster they have, so she either needs to dominate and draw real heel heat or just be left on Dark.

YB/FTR - Match of the night, easily. I still do not overly enjoy the Bucks cause they just don't have the ring psychology that FTR does. Too many spots while they should be selling, and just forget for stretches. Hardwood sold his hand injury brilliantly the entire match, and honestly AEW hasn't done much with FTR yet and I forgot just how good they are on a big stage and without Tully out there. Wish they'd ditch that, cause they don't need him. Just cause Cody needs an old guy and 35 other ex WWE guys in his family doesn't mean they need him. So many things happened, the callbacks to other teams were cool. DIY, 3D, Hardy spots were all fun. Ending was mostly good, Cash trying a flip and losing cause of it was good, not sure I liked the superkick finish with what should have been a busted foot, but that might be my YB nitpicking.

Hardy/Sammi - Had no interest going in, but it got more fun after a while. Still probably the weakest of the Hardy movie matches. Fun throwbacks with Hurricane and Gangrel, for the love of god never have these two wrestle again.

MJF/Y2J - Eh, not great, probably barely ok. Decent ending but I hate to say it, it may be time for Jericho to hang em up.

Main Event - For the love of god get the belt of Mox, he's beyond boring at this point. Hardcore matches feel like they are getting way to common because of him, and that shit was already overdone a decade ago. Watching all the promo packages before the match and Eddies journey had me pulling for him like nothing before. They built him up as the babyface and then after all the fire he quits? I'm told this way good by the measures of hardcore matches so I guess I'll take it at that. Mox needs to drop the belt, it's been way too long with nothing memorable happening with him as champ.

Overall it was good, I don't think it's the best AEW PPV of all time like SC is saying. Cheers

Last edited:

DKehoe

Larry Sweeney being in the opening video package and referenced a few times throughout Full Gear was cool. 12 Large, brother.

cryptoadam

Banned
From what I watched (zoned in and out) though the show wasn't to bad, but with the usual predictable Main Event that for me dragged it down.

Didn't catch the FTR match but see its getting praised a ton. Missed the womens match as well. If you want to call it that. Nyla has been champ and now fought again on PPV, how about we give another women a chance ok, you know one that was born a women.

Darby winning is the right call. I think he has potential and I do like him but I am not as in love with him as many others are. But this should be good for him to establish himself and hopefully be on his way to becoming a main eventer in the future.

Omega/Page is an AEW match. Just watch the last few minutes with all the kick outs. For what it is it was exectuted perfectly.

MJF/Jerhico is showing CJ's age but MJF was able to carry it. Its more about the storyline and not the match, but it would have been better with MJF vs Sammy and the tension being who will CJ side with. Or I would have had CJ win, but have MJF beat Sammy on Dynamite to make it into the IC.

Mox vs Kingston zoned in and out but its a usual Mox garbage match. Just not into Mox. He is basically Cena, but for some reason he wants to do all kinds of garbage wrestling. Don't get it why he wants to roll around in thumbtacks every match.

Hopefully Kenny will beat him and end Moxs boring reign. Its the same story every single time, every Mox feud. New guy shows up, calls out Mox, promos, garbage tacks match, challanger disappears into obscurity.

Archer-all he does is cut promos with Jake after losing to Mox
Cage-all he does is hold a belt he never won and have Taz cut promos for him
Brodie Lee-won the TNT title to job it back to Cody (who jobbed it to Darby) and not even on Revolution (and haven't seen him on Dynamite for a while either).
Kingtston-Manager/Jobber who doesn't even have a fake Dark record.

If you look at it Moxs defenses have been against really weak competition. Basically everyone who fights Moxs becomes a nobody after he beats them. Brodie is the only one who sort of had something going but that was taken away for Cody and now he is back to being a nobody.

And why wasn't Miro on the card? Did Rusev really leave the WWE to go be Kip Sabiens bitch?

Time to put the title on Kenny and let him run with it and prove if he really is the best wrestler in the world and a huge draw.

The only thing interesting to me in AEW now is the MJF/IC storyline.

DKehoe

Also, MJF's fake-out that Jericho had hit him with the bat would have been such a good ending to that match. MJF getting into the Inner Circle via DQ would have been such a great slimy move from him. You also then hold off on a pin until they split them apart.

cryptoadam

Banned
Also, MJF's fake-out that Jericho had hit him with the bat would have been such a good ending to that match. MJF getting into the Inner Circle via DQ would have been such a great slimy move from him. You also then hold off on a pin until they split them apart.

I wonder if Jerhico will say he let MJF pin him cuz he wants him in the IC.

DKehoe

I wonder if Jerhico will say he let MJF pin him cuz he wants him in the IC.

I’m guessing the long term plan is MJF regularly needling Jericho about the fact that he pinned him, pushing for himself to be the leader because he won that match then the others side with MJF and push Jericho out the group turning Jericho face. The crowds like Jericho too much for him to be a heel long term.

NickFire

MJF should be fighting Sammy to get into the IC.

Sammy doesnt like him and you cpuld build the intrigue of who will Jericho side with. And then when MJF beats Sammy it furthers the tension between them because MJF beat Sammy to get in.

You also dont give away MJF Jerhico on no build.

Heck even make Chris the ref for extra drama. And sammy could be pissed that CJ didnt cheat for him.
It seems rushed to me too, especially since I don't see a serious run at the belt being in MJF's cards right now. Moxley seems to be in the set them up and knock them down mode, with little reason to suspect that changes anytime soon. But this might be for the best. It could give MJF that final push to justify putting the belt on him in the next year.

Dthomp

It seems rushed to me too, especially since I don't see a serious run at the belt being in MJF's cards right now. Moxley seems to be in the set them up and knock them down mode, with little reason to suspect that changes anytime soon. But this might be for the best. It could give MJF that final push to justify putting the belt on him in the next year.

Not sure MJF is near the title for at least 6 more months as is. He'll boot Jericho out of IC before too long, let Jericho go away for a bit and come back as a super babyface final type run and feud with MJF. World title picture likely will be Kenny finally going over at Revolution and maybe we revisit him and Pac hopefully, but depends on how heel Kenny goes or if they try to play the tweener game. There aren't alot of great babyface main event talents right now IMO.

cryptoadam

Banned

I think Kenny is taking the title. They cant have him lose this one.

Mox has done everything he could with the belt. Jerhico and Mox legitimized the belt and added star power but I think its an AEW stars time.

I see MJF working his way to a triple crown so he probably wins tag and TNT over the next year or two before getting an ME push.

NickFire

Not sure MJF is near the title for at least 6 more months as is. He'll boot Jericho out of IC before too long, let Jericho go away for a bit and come back as a super babyface final type run and feud with MJF. World title picture likely will be Kenny finally going over at Revolution and maybe we revisit him and Pac hopefully, but depends on how heel Kenny goes or if they try to play the tweener game. There aren't alot of great babyface main event talents right now IMO.
I think Kenny is taking the title. They cant have him lose this one.

Mox has done everything he could with the belt. Jerhico and Mox legitimized the belt and added star power but I think its an AEW stars time.

I see MJF working his way to a triple crown so he probably wins tag and TNT over the next year or two before getting an ME push.
I agree with / like both of your ideas. It does seem Kenny is being set up for something big, although I'm not yet sold on him personally. As long as they keep MJF near the top I'll be happy for a while. Long time wrestling fan and his mic skills are a rare breed. Being so young and already comfortable gives him a bright future. I'm also a fan of Sammy, but AEW does not seem to be very high on him IMO. I have a feeling its continued blowback from the Sasha comments showing up. No other way for me to understand why he's losing match after match to Matt Hardy.

Dthomp

I agree with / like both of your ideas. It does seem Kenny is being set up for something big, although I'm not yet sold on him personally. As long as they keep MJF near the top I'll be happy for a while. Long time wrestling fan and his mic skills are a rare breed. Being so young and already comfortable gives him a bright future. I'm also a fan of Sammy, but AEW does not seem to be very high on him IMO. I have a feeling its continued blowback from the Sasha comments showing up. No other way for me to understand why he's losing match after match to Matt Hardy.

I love Kenny, a big issue I've had outside of shoving him in a tag team was the constant matches against what should be enhancement talent for him, and him wanting to help get people over. There is a time and a place for that, and the first year of a new company was not that time. Him taking the belt and being able to put on bangers with Fenix, Pentagon, and other great workers will help showcase him better in 2021 I think. MJF will be the man some day, but like was said above, I think he'll spend this year around the TNT title, and if I was running the company, I would be positioning him and Adam Page in a way to be a Rock/Austin feud 2-3 years from now. Feuding over the TNT title as they work their way into the real main event scene as Kenny and the other older guys age out a bit more. Sammy has potential, although I'm not a fan of his overselling, but there is something there. The losing I think is two fold, first is the Sasha comments along with that chair incident with Matt. You don't fuck up a guy that many view as a lockeroom glue guy and a hall of famer and not pay the price, the other...at least I think is him eating losses will help to push his character more towards the face side of things since I think when IC changes, he'll leave with Jericho and be faces while the rest of them stay behind as heels.

NickFire

I love Kenny, a big issue I've had outside of shoving him in a tag team was the constant matches against what should be enhancement talent for him, and him wanting to help get people over. There is a time and a place for that, and the first year of a new company was not that time. Him taking the belt and being able to put on bangers with Fenix, Pentagon, and other great workers will help showcase him better in 2021 I think. MJF will be the man some day, but like was said above, I think he'll spend this year around the TNT title, and if I was running the company, I would be positioning him and Adam Page in a way to be a Rock/Austin feud 2-3 years from now. Feuding over the TNT title as they work their way into the real main event scene as Kenny and the other older guys age out a bit more. Sammy has potential, although I'm not a fan of his overselling, but there is something there. The losing I think is two fold, first is the Sasha comments along with that chair incident with Matt. You don't fuck up a guy that many view as a lockeroom glue guy and a hall of famer and not pay the price, the other...at least I think is him eating losses will help to push his character more towards the face side of things since I think when IC changes, he'll leave with Jericho and be faces while the rest of them stay behind as heels.
I'm enjoying your input man.

Your comments about Kenny resonate. I have been primarily a WWE guy since WCW got purchased. Gave TNA a couple chances at the beginning and never watched again. Truth be told I knew Kenny's name from following wrestling news, but I knew almost nothing else about him. He has seemed over-hyped to me, and the tag team / singles matches I have seen have not really shown me much to get excited about. I'm more open minded to giving him a chance now just because I can appreciate him helping get guys over.

Your ideas for MJF sound pretty solid. His current story with Jericho is by itself a pretty solid (to say the least) place for any young wrestler. When it ends, as long as they don't pull a Vince and have secondary title holders (or tag teams) get squashed by main eventers, I'd tune in to watch him fend off challengers for secondary titles for a while. In fact having a strong secondary champion would be ideal (Cody does nothing for me), and could help the company a lot.

Somehow I missed the chair incident as an ongoing issue for Sammy. I can nod in agreement that he's still in the potential stage and not there yet. But I still shake my head at him losing to Matt Hardy. I know you're probably right about making the losses into a positive later on. I just can't get over eating the losses to Matt Hardy. Yes, he's a legend, respected, and has a good following. No doubt or question there. My issue is his singles career just seems so polarizing to me. I feel like most people either love it or find it corny as hell, and I personally find it corny as hell. A loss to him makes the loser look like enhancement talent to me. Just my personal opinion, but that's why the Sammy losses to him have been so frustrating to me.

Dthomp

Interesting, it looks kind of a modern build of the old Aki wrestling games with the character models in the first bit there with Kenny/Jericho. I'll watch the rest later on, thank you Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity

Bullet Club

Banned
Anyone else collect trading cards?

I got a box of Topps WWE Chrome 2020 today and just pulled this nice card:

FXP4df6.jpg

Apparently it's worth a few hundred bucks.

Also got Seth and Mustafa autos.

Dthomp

What a load of shit firing Zelina. She'll get work elsewhere if she wants it, too talented not too. Man if AB wasn't being buried already, it's going to come in hard now. More talent need to stand up for their rights and unionize. Fuck Vince and his carny bullshit

Bullet Club

Banned
There's going to be a line of people Nia Jax puts through tables on every Raw. Lana, Black, other "dissenters".

"Fuck your union, pal."

It finally has a release date of Feb 26th
...we'll see.

But congratulations to Zelina! Seriously. Sucks she lost her job but she has an amazing future ahead of her whether it's in the wrestling business or sticking to videogames/cosplay. I see nothing but brightness for her and I think it's amazing that she has so many opportunities. And massive respect to her for standing up for what's right.

Dthomp

...we'll see.

But congratulations to Zelina! Seriously. Sucks she lost her job but she has an amazing future ahead of her whether it's in the wrestling business or sticking to videogames/cosplay. I see nothing but brightness for her and I think it's amazing that she has so many opportunities. And massive respect to her for standing up for what's right.

AEW would be beyond dumb not to go after her. She can help make their womens division better and promote the shit out of the AEW video game. She's a solid worker and that's what they need there bad

Top Bottom