• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrath of the Lamb |OT| A Binding of Isaac Expansion

Toppot

I would quit through the menu, which I don't think counts as a death, but I say with confidence that 95% of those runs would have met with completion anyway.
If you want to use the same character you can just hold R to restart the game, rather than quit to menu and go back to character select.

Kuroyume

Banned
Yeah, that was great. I love how the game will throw something new at you after a while. Beat it so many times and you figure out how the game ends with the music and enemy art, but then the game throws that Jesus song at you.

Anyway, love the game. Have the worst luck with Eve though. Seem to always get the worst items with that character. Always making it to the later levels with like two extra hearts from when I began.

Acerac

Banned
Just beat dark boy with epic fetus/pony combo 2 tries after getting spelunker boy with the exact same combo.

Feels good. Now all I have left is to find the halo and guppy's hairball. Annoying that starting with the halo for isaac was good today doesn't count...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I got the halo the other day while playing, I think you need to use the Bible against Mom to get it. Is that what you're after? Unless you mean you've already unlocked it but haven't picked it up yet, which is probably what you mean.

Acerac

Banned
I got the halo the other day while playing, I think you need to use the Bible against Mom to get it. Is that what you're after? Unless you mean you've already unlocked it but haven't picked it up yet, which is probably what you mean.

According to the game I have it unlocked, though I suppose it couldn't hurt to kill mom with the bible again.

It's an odd feeling to have every challenge in the game beat but not have seen all the item drops yet.

CassSept

This game is amazing. Installing it together with WoL right from the get-go might have been a mistake, but hell, I'm having so much fun.

Between this and Super Meat Boy... Edmund McMillen, you magnificent bastard.

ampere

Wow I had such a good playthrough just now. I was trying to clear with ??? and I got Dr Fetus's bomb ability and managed to clear Isaac and unlock Rainbow Baby and D6.

Feels good, such luck this run hah

After beating The Chest a few times and reading up on some story/ending interpretations, this game becomes much sadder :(

I do kind of want to read an 'official' story by Edmund though.

CassSept

Jesus Christ, Isaac is brutal, I can't even imagine ???. I feel like I'm nearing a brickwall. Then again, I felt that several times already before, but this time it feels more real.

Satan at least is hard, but manageable. Isaac is a mess.

Still, it's impressive how much I'm getting out of this game compared to what it cost. Amazing.

CassSept

Considering this thread is dead, double posts aren't that condemnable, right?

Well, 5 days later, I just killed Isaac for the first time. This is ridiculous, every time I think there is no way I can progress I get some insane combo that makes me invincible.

Both odd mushrooms, rock, pentagram, sacred heart and PHD that gave me several Tears Up pills made everything die instantly. Plus Super Meat Boy. And the relic and little CHAD just for good measure. I finished with full health and soul hearts that were still beyond the screen. Oh and I had unused 1up I got at the beginning of the game. Jesus.

Toppot

Considering this thread is dead, double posts aren't that condemnable, right?

Well, 5 days later, I just killed Isaac for the first time. This is ridiculous, every time I think there is no way I can progress I get some insane combo that makes me invincible.

Both odd mushrooms, rock, pentagram, sacred heart and PHD that gave me several Tears Up pills made everything die instantly. Plus Super Meat Boy. And the relic and little CHAD just for good measure. I finished with full health and soul hearts that were still beyond the screen. Oh and I had unused 1up I got at the beginning of the game. Jesus.
Yeah its fine =]

Congrats on the kill. Having an insane combo helps a lot. As you get better less amazing combos work very well as well and take you all the way. Many, many more hours to enjoy ;)

CassSept

Yeah its fine =]

Congrats on the kill. Having an insane combo helps a lot. As you get better less amazing combos work very well as well and take you all the way. Many, many more hours to enjoy ;)

I just did a no-hit kill of Isaac with an average build, so I see it's true :) Feels good, man.

Damn this game, every time I'm slowly moving away from it, it's pulling me back in even more. I'm jumping on the deluxe release day one, hopefully it will be possible to import save.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You won't be able to import saves unfortunately, it's built in an entirely new engine so they won't carry across. The new content should take the sting out of replaying it though!

CassSept

You won't be able to import saves unfortunately, it's built in an entirely new engine so they won't carry across. The new content should take the sting out of replaying it though!

Had this been confirmed? If so then well, it's a shame definitely, but too bad, the game's just too good. I've been changing this pretty much every year now, but it's probably my favorite game of all time. Gameplay, lasting appeal, the religious angle - I love pretty much everything about it. Except Eve. I hate Eve.

Wait, deluxe edition? What am I missing?

A yet to be named publisher is interested in porting the game off of flash and onto consoles/handhelds (and back onto steam as a new game). This game would have another WotL sized expansion, some form of multiplayer, a new graphical style, a feature to export a picture of your Isaac to show off a good run, and a bunch of other stuff. It should be officially announced sometime soon (watch for the Isaac post-mortem).

Toppot

Predictions on the publisher?

Well before he has said Sony were very interested. After SMB on XBLA I don't think he is a fan of working with Microsoft again directly and we know Nintendo won't do it.

I think Sony is the only big publisher with the balls to publish a game with such content. THQ or Valve as a possibility.

Well before he has said Sony were very interested. After SMB on XBLA I don't think he is a fan of working with Microsoft again directly and we know Nintendo won't do it.

I think Sony is the only big publisher with the balls to publish a game with such content. THQ or Valve as a possibility.

It is not a large publisher or one of the console manufacturers. Sony is very interested in having it on Vita, though.

Beyond that I don't know who it is, but my guess would be Nicalis. They have experience porting from flash(VVVVVV), as well as in remaking games with new graphics(Cave Story).

I didn't notice this part before, interesting.

Yeah, last word was it was going to be more of a 16-bit sprite style. With the spritework being done by this company that is porting it. Edmund would be hands off on everything other than the design of the new content, which I guess he would draw in his usual style, then they would turn into sprites like everything else from the game.

Askani

I don't understand what the deal is. After the DLC, I haven't beaten the game ONCE since I got it. I can't even get to the end, let alone finish it. Seems like the game is way too focused on cheap damage now.

Plus I've been running into bugs now. Like walking into a door, it closes behind you, and there are two rocks on either side, and three spiders bum rush you and lock you into that spot, and all your shots pass over them, and they eat your whole bar.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

see5harp

I don't understand what the deal is. After the DLC, I haven't beaten the game ONCE since I got it. I can't even get to the end, let alone finish it. Seems like the game is way too focused on cheap damage now.

Plus I've been running into bugs now. Like walking into a door, it closes behind you, and there are two rocks on either side, and three spiders bum rush you and lock you into that spot, and all your shots pass over them, and they eat your whole bar.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Sooner or later things will get better. I had a 3 week long slump and then I ended up getting max tears max power along with 1 3/4 met boys and giant homing shots. I got to shoel for the first time and nearly best it with zero damage.

Nert

I've almost hit 100 hours played with this game (bought it during the summer sale on Steam) and I can't stop playing it. I finished assembling The Polaroid today (instead of just using Cain over and over again like I tend to) and I was surprised by different each character played early on. Also, Technology + Bloody Lust is very fun :D

CassSept

"Dads Key" has appeared in the basement!

Woohoo!

Technology 2+Polyphemus+Loki's Horn+Habit+Yum Heart = sit back and watch as I own you. Insane damage with every tick made me cheese The Chest, everything was dying left and right. And my final reroll before ??? gave me Yum Heart, which has basically increased my heart count by 50%. That was insane.

Well, I think it's time I took some time off this game. I wish I could.

Kweh

Binding of Isaac question...

What are the blood covered rooms with the spikes about? Do they offer any kind of boon?

BigAT

Binding of Isaac question...

What are the blood covered rooms with the spikes about? Do they offer any kind of boon?

Each time you run over them (and lose a heart) there is a chance a chest will spawn. Not a high enough risk/reward for these rooms to use them IMO.

CassSept

I just need to find 5 more items for 100% (Pinking Shears, Holy Grail, Dead Dove, Guppy's Hair Ball, Pyro).

Wow, that's pretty unlucky, I have gotten the first three items you listed several times already, especially Pinking Shears which I was constantly getting for several runs a few weeks ago.

Then again, that's RNG for you. I still have to encounter items like Prayer Card or Parasite (which I unlocked on the first day of playing BoI!).

PS. I thought it will take me a long time to discover another game that I will be able to play for over 100 hours. And here came Binding of Isaac to prove me wrong. I can't believe I thought all these people that posted here about playing this for 100+ hours were weird, and now I'm one of them.

ampere

A yet to be named publisher is interested in porting the game off of flash and onto consoles/handhelds (and back onto steam as a new game). This game would have another WotL sized expansion, some form of multiplayer, a new graphical style, a feature to export a picture of your Isaac to show off a good run, and a bunch of other stuff. It should be officially announced sometime soon (watch for the Isaac post-mortem).

How on earth did I miss this news? I'm excited!

Wow, that's pretty unlucky, I have gotten the first three items you listed several times already, especially Pinking Shears which I was constantly getting for several runs a few weeks ago.

Then again, that's RNG for you. I still have to encounter items like Prayer Card or Parasite (which I unlocked on the first day of playing BoI!).

PS. I thought it will take me a long time to discover another game that I will be able to play for over 100 hours. And here came Binding of Isaac to prove me wrong. I can't believe I thought all these people that posted here about playing this for 100+ hours were weird, and now I'm one of them.

Well I couldn't get Pinking Shears until just recently as I hit 100 deaths. I just unlocked the Hairball recently too. And I could have sworn I got Dead Dove once but w/e. Right now I'm just playing as Isaac and trying for Angel Rooms.

CassSept

Well I couldn't get Pinking Shears until just recently as I hit 100 deaths. I just unlocked the Hairball recently too. And I could have sworn I got Dead Dove once but w/e. Right now I'm just playing as Isaac and trying for Angel Rooms.

Yeah well, that makes sense that you couldn't get an item you hadn't unlocked yet. I've gotten Pinking Shears several times, but I guess I unlocked it pretty early (installing the game together with WotL on a lagging laptop, yeah, that worked out great). I still don't understand how after so many hours basic items happen to not drop.

About this Dead Dove, maybe you got it while doing some Challenge? For example, Monster Manuel (!) appeared for me many many times after I unlocked it, but it didn't register in Collection screen until I got it in a regular run.

Also, Monster Manuel, how great is that. Every time I encounter this item I can't think of anything but Fawlty Towers. Best (probably intentional) misspell ever.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I somehow managed to get ending 11 after ending 8, I'd got to The Womb 2 and used a Fool card, took me to the Angel room and there was a trapdoor down to Sheol. First time I'd gone to Sheol and managed to beat it! Was playing as Cain and had picked up Dr Fetus so it was a fairly easy run. Not sure if doing that has messed up unlocking stuff though. We'll see next time I guess!

Toppot

I somehow managed to get ending 11 after ending 8, I'd got to The Womb 2 and used a Fool card, took me to the Angel room and there was a trapdoor down to Sheol. First time I'd gone to Sheol and managed to beat it! Was playing as Cain and had picked up Dr Fetus so it was a fairly easy run. Not sure if doing that has messed up unlocking stuff though. We'll see next time I guess!

It shouldn't mess up unlocking stiff. Its just a bug where you can make/find trap doors to other levels before you are meant to get to them.

CassSept

Somebody slap me please. I had probably my best run yet. I was unstoppable. Even if I screwed up in the chest, I still had Ankh so I'd still probably get ??? kill with ???. In the Cathedral I noticed I forgot to pick up Polaroid. I can't believe myself.

Toppot

Somebody slap me please. I had probably my best run yet. I was unstoppable. Even if I screwed up in the chest, I still had Ankh so I'd still probably get ??? kill with ???. In the Cathedral I noticed I forgot to pick up Polaroid. I can't believe myself.

f4J9p.gif

It's cool dude, we all forget to pick up things in this game. The polaroid will come around again. I would say don't chase it and it will find you. If you have to chase it though make sure you have use fortune telling machines a lot. With the right items you can get unlimited coins or at least boost your coins a lot, usually involves using lots of the machines and having trinkets that increase luck and coin value.

For example if you can have PHD and the waffer and use blood donation machines. You then have the gold coin trinket which randomly doubles the value of coins you pick up, ontop of the PHD giving you more coins from the machine and wafer halving damage from the machine on the harder levels. You then use those coins on other machines to get more hearts and you have unlimited money until the machines break. Also works killer if you have portable blood machine as it never breaks. You can then multiply this by using cards you get from fortune telling machines to give you more of all type of machine. So long as you have one machine giving you hearts and one giving you coins you are fine. The only problem is you end up with 20 trinkets in the same area and picking up the one you want is a nightmare.

In a similar situation, I was having an awesome run and was holding the Polaroid in the Womb. I cleared a room and was standing in the middle. And what spawned after clearing it? The Tick trinket which spawned right where I was standing. RAGE

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just beat Isaac for the first time yesterday, with Cain. He's like easy mode for me, always seem to have good runs. Think it's from knowing all pills are going to be beneficial, means I always end up doing pretty well. Then straight afterwards I *almost* beat him again with ???, had an amazing run helped by getting ipecac as my first item. Died in the boss battle but at least I unlocked the D6! Now to try and get the rest of the Polaroid...

CassSept

6gcrE.png

BOOYAH! 125 hours, 301 deaths, 96 mom kills aaand it's finally done. Need only Sacrificial Knife to top off the collection, but Platinum God had been achieved at last. Title screen is damn creepy though, I liked The End better :(

Feels good.

Awesome. Just had a great run in The Womb and my super speed got me stuck inside a formation of four rocks that I managed to accidentally get inside because I was going so fast. No bombs and had to reset.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I can't believe how much I've ended up playing this game, I picked it up in the Steam sale for about £2.50. Ridiculous value for money. I'm one step away from unlocking the Polaroid, have beaten Sheol with Cain and Cathedral with Cain, Isaac, Maggie and Eve. Every so often I'll get this amazing run that'll either get me sailing through the game or I'll end up screwing it up and cursing myself. Usually Dr Fetus gets me all the way.

Unlocked the D20 the other day, seems like it'd be amazing but I think it's only really game-breaking when you have some way of repeatedly using it in the same room to get hundreds of items, I don't seem to be able to get the right combination of items to do that. Oh well. Every time I unlock a new item though I'm super pumped about getting to try it out, even if it ends up not being so useful.

I'm just about to give up on obtaining all the items. Only need Pyro and Guppy's Hair Ball and I've been reading both of them (or at least Pyro) have had the rates lowered considerably from a patch.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is Pyro the 99 bombs item? It's funny, every time I hear about someone having one last item they need to get it's always something I've already picked up. Of course, that just means that some other easy to find item will end up being my white whale instead.

I'm sad..

I've been watching Northernlion's let's play of this on Youtube.. and I'm dying to play this game, but alas.. my PC cannot run it without massive slowdown.

I can't wait for the remake!

Toppot

I'm sad..

I've been watching Northernlion's let's play of this on Youtube.. and I'm dying to play this game, but alas.. my PC cannot run it without massive slowdown.

I can't wait for the remake!

Can't play it in a small window (Or a low res fullscreen might be better) and detail on low? The game is rather CPU hungry so if you have an old/bad CPU nothing will work sadly =/

Top Bottom