• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrath of the Lamb |OT| A Binding of Isaac Expansion

New update, version 1.45. Anyone know what it does?

1.45 Notes:
-fixed “other” invincibility bug
-raised music/sfx quality
-refixed secret rooms blocking off areas
-refixed placement of old secret rooms
-fixed “secret chapter” secret rooms.
-fixed normal rooms appearing in secret rooms in xl floors
-lots more little tweaks and fixes

Therion

-refixed placement of old secret rooms
Just want to point out that these rooms aren't placed exactly the same as before. They're mostly where you'd expect, but I've found a few in some odd positions. Also, the super secret rooms are bugged and don't seem to appear at all, so don't waste bombs looking for them in this version.

Bomb: Ouya people contacted Edmund and they said are willing to port Isaac to Ouya for him.

Edmund sounds pretty skeptical about this.

XxCGSxX

Just bought the pack on steam, there isn't 360 controller support right? If not anyone's got a joytokey profile or something like that for this game? Thanks!

Acerac

Banned
Finally downed the real last boss. That's the third or fourth time I've said that in this game.

This game is my single player game of the millennium thusfar. I can not say enough positive things about it. Awesome difficulty, amazing variety in enemies and items, no two playthroughs are alike... just a perfect game.

This game is my single player game of the millennium thusfar. I can not say enough positive things about it. Awesome difficulty, amazing variety in enemies and items, no two playthroughs are alike... just a perfect game.

Ditto. It's my favourite game of all time, finally toppling the SMS version of Castle of Illusion.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Am I the only one here that has trouble even getting out of the Caves/Catacombs at times? It just seems like unless I get a really lucky build I'm pretty much screwed, so tbh I often hate the purely luck based nature of this game, but it can be fun when you get a bit of that luck. Or maybe I'm just bad at the game?

Any tips, I'm still completely lost on where to place bombs for the secret rooms.

Am I the only one here that has trouble even getting out of the Caves/Catacombs at times? It just seems like unless I get a really lucky build I'm pretty much screwed, so tbh I often hate the purely luck based nature of this game, but it can be fun when you get a bit of that luck. Or maybe I'm just bad at the game?

Any tips, I'm still completely lost on where to place bombs for the secret rooms.

For secret rooms, you want to look at gaps surrounded by the most other rooms. They are always connected to at least 2 other rooms.

Super secret rooms are either connected to only one room or one room and a secret room as a secret room appears to not count as a normal room. Super secret aren't working as of the last patch though.

Therion

Woohoo, finally got platinum god!

FYI, deleting so.sol makes your in-game achievements work, but it can also re-lock several of your secrets. Luckily deleted the file early enough that I only needed to unlock the left hand and Cain's eye a second time, but apparently you can also reset the secrets from beating the chest with Eve, Samson, and ???. Those aren't exactly the easiest ones to redo, so be careful.

Any way to turn off the dlc? I havent got everything from the normal game and bought the DLC because of the summer sale. And im fucking annoyed by these new enemy types that are randomly chosen.

BigAT

New patch:
Wrath of the Lamb v1.48 update notes:
-Super secret rooms are back!
-Greed + greed heads no longer take coins when touching them while invincible.
-Bum friend bug fixed
-bobs rotten head luck removed
-sound effects added
-animations tweaked a bit
-other minor fixes and edits!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Picked this up in the Steam flash sale. Had heard people mention it on here but not really paid any attention to it, gave it a go and I'm hooked. It's so much fun! I'm pretty bad at it though, I can make it to the caves reliably, have made it to the catacombs or whatever the next bit is twice but no further than that. It's pretty tough, but I'm enjoying going through and collecting items. I see people playing it and getting crazy amounts of power ups and so on, but I don't seem to be getting all that much. I'm assuming that the more you play the more items become available?

Toppot

Picked this up in the Steam flash sale. Had heard people mention it on here but not really paid any attention to it, gave it a go and I'm hooked. It's so much fun! I'm pretty bad at it though, I can make it to the caves reliably, have made it to the catacombs or whatever the next bit is twice but no further than that. It's pretty tough, but I'm enjoying going through and collecting items. I see people playing it and getting crazy amounts of power ups and so on, but I don't seem to be getting all that much. I'm assuming that the more you play the more items become available?
Glad you are enjoying it =] It is hard to start off with but as you play it more you get a lot better. You do unlock more powerful items for beating the different 'final' bosses with different characters, you will also unlock other items from beating normal bosses, other achievements and doing the challenges if you do have the Wrath of Lamb DLC.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, I grabbed the full bundle so I've started off with all the WoL DLC stuff added in. Not sure if that's made it harder for me to get to grips with but at least it means I get all the extra content! Would you recommend doing the challenges to start with then, or just playing through the regular game to get better beforehand? I don't mind dying repeatedly while playing, just not sure if I could be making life easier for myself!

Toppot

Would you recommend doing the challenges to start with then, or just playing through the regular game to get better beforehand? I don't mind dying repeatedly while playing, just not sure if I could be making life easier for myself!
You should beat the game a few times before you try them, though The Doctor's Revenge! challenge is quite easy.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Well I just had my best run ever, I started out getting the Inner Eye, so I had triple fire, then got the X-Ray glasses which let me see all the secret rooms. So useful! I ended up picking up all sorts of stuff, got something which looked like the book from the Evil Dead which killed everyone when I got hurt, the Ankh, I got the thing that lets you carry two trinkets instead of one, the cursed skull and the red floating baby thing. Anyway, I got all the way up to Mom but got turned into ??? when I died and the cursed skull kept teleporting me out of the room whenever I got hurt so the only way I'd beat her is if I took no damage at all while doing it, needless to say that didn't happen. Oh well, I was pretty pumped by that run so I'll keep at it!

I freaking hate regular Isaac. Have the worst luck with him.

I was able to beat the Cathedral with Maggy, Judas, and Cain all in my first try after getting the DLC. But Isaac? 7 tries and counting.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
HOLY SHIT. I just beat this for the first time! Had another really good run. Picked up Technology and Polyphemus so had a HUGE laser that basically one shotted everyone, had the Mitre so ended up with about 10 soul hearts, the Pentagram, various tears-up powerups, and then, best of all, The Sun. I held on to that bad boy all the way to Mom and it near enough wiped her out. Really pumped, haha. I know I've posted a lot here just recently, but I hope you can appreciate how super excited I am about it all, haha. Oh, I also did two deals with the devil so unlocked Eve as well. Really happy about how that went! I know it's just the start, but still. Fun!

Edit: And to top it off, I just got made a regular member. Whoop!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Damn, that was a lucky as hell run through the Dark was the Night challenge.

kyFcf.png

The Bloat kicked my ass in the womb :(

Yeah he's tough. Luckily I haven't fought him a lot.

I just finished the last challenge and somehow unlocked the Polaroid without using a different character, weird. My last runs have been awesome and just been annihilating the final bosses. I think the hardest part for me coming up is the no-damage achievements but I'm going to keep at them. Might use Cain since I rarely do bad with him. Or maybe Judas is better because of his higher damage?

ampere

I had such a good playthrough earlier tonight, god I got good items

Was even able to skip two treasure rooms and unlocked Samson :D

Here's how I looked

FNNfO.jpg

This game cost me like $3 and I have played it 33 hours since I got it last week

Fuck, between this and Meat Boy I love indie PC gaming so much right lately

Therion

I think the hardest part for me coming up is the no-damage achievements but I'm going to keep at them. Might use Cain since I rarely do bad with him. Or maybe Judas is better because of his higher damage?
You can unlock those in the challenge runs as well, so consider how well you perform with some of those item sets. I used the Fetus challenge to finally get Spelunker Boy after many failed attempts in normal runs. I did manage the rest in normal runs, but the caves were especially hard for me for some reason.

Joe Molotov

Blah, Platinum God won't unlock because my game's being a dick. Says I only have 96/97 secrets even though I've done everything, and I don't know which one it's saying I don't have because the secrets are screwed up and don't show correctly. It seems my only recourse is to delete my so.sol file to fix the secrets, but that relocks Eve, Samson, and Cain chest wins plus Ultra Pride. Blah.

Edit: n/m, looks like it was the Left Hand secret for beating Ultra Pride that didn't trigger before for some reason, but I beat him again, it triggered, got Platinum God everything's good. w00t

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Really enjoying this game still. Have now beaten it once with Isaac, then twice with Maggie. Will go through with Cain next, the lucky foot takes a lot of the sting out of pills/slot machines and so on. Have managed to unlock a few fun things, Little Steven was good, have got Eve and Judas too. I find myself wanting to go back to this over and over, been playing it on my TV with a PS3 controller which has made it a lot more fun. Does have a fair bit of slowdown though if I don't put it on the low graphical setting. Anyway, really looking forward to getting through some of the challenges and tackling the harder stuff.

GaimeGuy

First time I reached mom's heart a few days ago I had maxed out on luck thanks to pills, maxed out on money twice thanks to 2 of diamonds (and max luck), and I had both the items that increased the chance of of soul hearts appearing.

I have no idea how many soul hearts I had. Enemies, slot machines, and the hand game were spitting them out so much. N omatter how much damage I took the 12 hearts in the upper right corner never depleted.

Had like 40 keys and bombs too, flying, max fire rate, cancer (yay two trinkets), 2 familiars, about 2/3 of the damage bar filled (was playing with Samson so had Bloody Lust).

Utero XL was a breeze.

Also reached the I Am Error room for the first time in that run.

Welp, I finally came back to this (vanilla version) and have acquired every achievement except Golden God and The Shears. The problem with the second one is that I'd have to kill myself sixty times to unlock it. I kind of like my awesome death ratio.

Maybe I'll grab the DLC and just see if it happens naturally from that.

I pretty much can't die in the vanilla game unless I play ???.

Toppot

Welp, I finally came back to this (vanilla version) and have acquired every achievement except Golden God and The Shears. The problem with the second one is that I'd have to kill myself sixty times to unlock it. I kind of like my awesome death ratio.

Maybe I'll grab the DLC and just see if it happens naturally from that.

I pretty much can't die in the vanilla game unless I play ???.
Grab the DLC and let it happen naturally, doesn't matter if its like the last thing you do. If you do want to die a lot, play as Cain (I think he's the one with 1 heart at the start) and just walk into the nearest enemy/hazard twice.

Grab the DLC and let it happen naturally, doesn't matter if its like the last thing you do. If you do want to die a lot, play as Cain (I think he's the one with 1 heart at the start) and just walk into the nearest enemy/hazard twice.
I'm leaning towards that, but I almost would have liked to have all the first set achievements before moving on.

We'll see, I suppose. :)

ampere

Heh, Pixyjunket I got the game with the DLC and I died 100 times pretty easily (only about 3 full mom's heart clears by that point) so either the DLC gets quite a bit harder or you are crazy good :p

I'm trying to get the Dark Boy and Mamas Boy achievements before activating WotL. I think it might be a while before I get to play with the new stuff. :(

ampere

I'm trying to get the Dark Boy and Mamas Boy achievements before activating WotL. I think it might be a while before I get to play with the new stuff. :(

I got Cave Boy pretty early on, but I don't see myself getting any of the other 'take no damage' achievements. Those are crazy hard for me, similar to the 'beat levels without dying' ones in Super Meat Boy.

Heh, Pixyjunket I got the game with the DLC and I died 100 times pretty easily (only about 3 full mom's heart clears by that point) so either the DLC gets quite a bit harder or you are crazy good :p
Yeah, I got pretty good at the game practicing for (and getting) all of the "no damage" achievements. :)

I hadn't played in months and I loaded it up a week or so ago, died once or twice with Judas, then beat Satan with Judas, Eve, Cain and Isaac with no further deaths.

Joe Molotov

Yeah, I got pretty good at the game practicing for (and getting) all of the "no damage" achievements. :)

I hadn't played in months and I loaded it up a week or so ago, died once or twice with Judas, then beat Satan with Judas, Eve, Cain and Isaac with no further deaths.

Did you suicide every time you got hit while working on a no-hit run? Because if you did and you still haven't got 100 deaths, then you are a wizard.

GaimeGuy

Just loadedd up the game and beat it for the 4th time my first game.

It's weird, I don't feel like I'm getting better, but I clearly am. It's like something clicked and now winning is much more easy.

Did you suicide every time you got hit while working on a no-hit run? Because if you did and you still haven't got 100 deaths, then you are a wizard.
I would quit through the menu, which I don't think counts as a death, but I say with confidence that 95% of those runs would have met with completion anyway.

Top Bottom