• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrath of the Lamb |OT| A Binding of Isaac Expansion

-PXG-

I just ordered this

levelupstudios-teammeat-wrath-450.jpg

http://www.levelupstudios.com/wrath

Can't wait.

Amagon

IBoTq.png

My Isaac is a fucking TANK right now, Jesus Christ and I'm on the 4 level so far!!!! It's getting so easy right now with the items I have equipped. That Technology 2 should be illegal I tell you. Its making it too easy right now. Plus I have wings to go over obstacles, the flies that surround me could take on all the gangs in the movie, The Warriors right now, lol. And that Teddy Bear I have in my 'Space' command is such a beast attack especially using it against the bosses. With my hearts at MAX and my strength/speed/range is up, its crazy!!! I think Edmund made this game easier now than before. I'm not getting that frustrated like I did with the early version. Anyhoot, back to the game!

Edit: Oh, those golden keys keep on popping up frequently and the Skeleton Key is just win.

Second Edit: Just beaten Mom (took 15-20 seconds) after I posted this rant and clearly, my Isaac is so badass, the portal for the next level didn't appear and I'm stuck in the boss room with no exit.

FUCK!

Paprikka

Technology 2 even mixes with brimstone, so while you're holding down the button to fire the laser, you're charging up brimstone then you can release it for even more damage. Was such a ridiculous run with both.
rH2tP.png

Amagon

Technology 2 even mixes with brimstone, so while you're holding down the button to fire the laser, you're charging up brimstone then you can release it for even more damage. Was such a ridiculous run with both.
rH2tP.png
One question I have for the expansion is what are those 'tokens' that is located on the bottom of the map actually do? I picked them up and don't really see a difference.

Acerac

Banned
One question I have for the expansion is what are those 'tokens' that is located on the bottom of the map actually do? I picked them up and don't really see a difference.

Passive abilities. Some of them are rather strong, just difficult to notice. Check out a wiki if you need to know, some of the passives are stronger than they are noticeable.

dk_

The game is way too easy with the new items. Also, I got Brimstone in all my 3 playthroughs.

And I'm asking again: Where are the new achievements?

tm24

Got an XL map on the first floor. Had 2 treasure rooms and both required keys. Interesting

EDIT: Nvrmind, wasn't the first floor, was the second floor. Still, that XL floor is huge

Acerac

Banned
The game is way too easy with the new items. Also, I got Brimstone in all my 3 playthroughs.

And I'm asking again: Where are the new achievements?

Yeah, it's kind of funny how the dev said he made this expansion in response to people claiming his game was too easy and now it's even easier.

Granted, I say that having not touched the challenges yet. That should be fun.

Mr_Zombie

Recommended:

Processor:5 GHz
Memory:2GB MB RAM
Graphics:Direct X9.0c Compatible Card
Hard Drive:50MB MB HD space

Is Adobe Flash really that garbage?

So fucking true :/
During boss battles and rooms with lots of enemies I literally play in slow-motion. I would love them to port the game to something else than Flash.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
love this game to death. I suck at it though 100 hours and I never beat
sheol.
got maddeningly close once but I can't for the life of me deal with the
stomping feet section, the little worms that fly around, I just can't see them

:(

I also can't beat the game with ???

wutwutwut

Had an absolutely incredible run with Isaac. Lots of tears up pills + 2x shot speed up + sad onion (doubles fire rate) + cancer trinket (increases fire rate even more) = mow everything down.

As a bonus, I ran out of keys in the depths, which means I had to skip two treasure rooms, which means I unlocked Samson!

The game seems a lot easier now. Not that I mind much, I worked for that Golden God.

Needs a patch so bad, though. So bad. Problems everywhere.

Some of the new items seem INCREDIBLY unbalanced somehow.
Technology 2 shouldn't be an item that you can get on the 1st floor!

The trinkets make the game more fun, though.
Also the new bosses are pretty cool.

And once again Spider-GAF is right: Spiders are fucking gross and annoying. Especially annoying.

Haunted

The challenges are pretty damn tough. Could just be I'm rusty, though.

And once again Spider-GAF is right: Spiders are fucking gross and annoying. Especially annoying.
The cellar is not a good place to be if you're arachnophobic.

edit: the face Isaac makes on speedball made me laugh out loud.

kami_sama

I just had the best run.
Spoilers ahead
http://i.imgur.com/duw5i.png
Like you can see in the picture, I had 11 and I could kill almost everything with one shot.
I also flied and had spectral shots. To top it, I also had The Wafer.
I was completely a tank. It Lives died in one minute, and I had only lost 2 hearths.

Haunted

Did I just download an update or did my Steam get confused? "BoI download finished" popped up in the lower right corner even though I've been playing since yesterday. :p

edit:
Looks like they just pushed a patch.
^^

Let's see what it does.

McMillen posted this on his site yesterday:
As expected players have found a few big bugs that we are fixing right now, infact most are fixed we just need steam to approve and upload tomorrow when they get into the office.
this update wont cover 100% of the bugs but it should cover 100% of all game breaking bugs and quite a few more annoying issues as well.

-The Mac version of Wrath should release tomorrow

-achievements for pc are currently off, this is an internal issue we hope to fix tomorrow.

-All of Dannys new tracks will be added to the digital album on steam sometime this week

-There wont be a linux version unless we are asked to be included in a future humble bundle (but if we do it wont be for 6+ months)

-After tomorrows update we will continue to update the game with fixes and a few extras we had on the list of things to add before we ran out of time. (also a few more music tracks)

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I was playing this last night and ran into so many bugs :(

I really like the addition of trinkets and the new room types but the new final area/boss was pretty disappointing.

celebi23

No Mac version of the DLC? NOOOOO

Yep. After the shitty BoI and Super Meat Boy mac ports, I won't even miss it. I might just install this in Wine or in my Boot Camp partition.

edit: damn, didn't see this:

Did I just download an update or did my Steam get confused? "BoI download finished" popped up in the lower right corner even though I've been playing since yesterday. :p

edit:
^^

Let's see what it does.

McMillen posted this on his site yesterday:
As expected players have found a few big bugs that we are fixing right now, infact most are fixed we just need steam to approve and upload tomorrow when they get into the office.
this update wont cover 100% of the bugs but it should cover 100% of all game breaking bugs and quite a few more annoying issues as well.

-The Mac version of Wrath should release tomorrow

-achievements for pc are currently off, this is an internal issue we hope to fix tomorrow.

-All of Dannys new tracks will be added to the digital album on steam sometime this week

-There wont be a linux version unless we are asked to be included in a future humble bundle (but if we do it wont be for 6+ months)

-After tomorrows update we will continue to update the game with fixes and a few extras we had on the list of things to add before we ran out of time. (also a few more music tracks)

Maybe it won't be a completely shit port? I just got kinda burned on Super Meat Boy & BoI :/

Downloaded the expansion...wow my Isaac skills must have atrophied because I'm dying all over the place here. Widow as a first level boss just destroyed me. Need to get back in the groove so I can find some of these new awesome items.

flowsnake

To me, Widow is just a horrible boss because of spawning spiders (UGH) and having a much quicker stomp attack than most. The other Cellar boss (the worm thing, I forget the name) is really easy in comparison.

remist

Just got to the credits for the second time. Once by beating Mom's leg and once by beating leg and heart. How many times do you have to beat the game to actually get all the areas?

Also both times I got tech2 and the chocolate milk charge shot, making everything brain dead easy. All the bosses went down in under 5 secs. Kinda ruins the sense of accomplishment if it's that easy.

Also I got to agree that widow is by far the hardest early boss. If I get caught on some of the early levels it almost always means a death. Any tips?

Sciz

Picking up Polyphemus followed by Technology 2 trivialized the game more than any other item combination I've ever run across. Instagibs everything short of bosses, and they only hold up for a few seconds.

Insured

I'm really loving the expansion so far, and the new music is amazing as always. There's a truckload of balance issues and new glitches now though, I feel. There's also so many flying items now, I end up flying in nearly every run. Widow definitely feels like it belongs to caves/catacombs, definitely not a first level boss. Samson showing up as "Eve" in every loading screen / the death letter kinda gives an unfinished impression too.

I kind of want to just wait a few days for most of the issues to get sorted out, but I'm still tempted to keep playing more... I guess that's a sign of a good expansion :p

Is there a chance we'll be getting an OST of the expansion songs as well? I'm kind of in love with most of the new tracks.

EDIT: And after I post this I found they've been added to the original OST's page. Score!

Trinkets, each give a passive bonus.

What on earth is a "passive" bonus in this context?

Otherwise, still enjoying. The fact that getting killed by a new enemy shows up nothing on the death letter is pretty lame, I hope they'll be fixing that and the Samson/Eve thing.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
What on earth is a "passive" bonus in this context?

for example, the 'flat penny' will drop a gold key next time you pick up a regular penny.

I didn't figure out what the gold keys do. Do they count once for a regular door and once for a gold?

didn't figure out a lot of the passive abilities yet. like the ace of spades.

Love the 'eternal hearts' idea. if you keep em till the end of the level they turn into a red one.

I don't get the easy complaints either. I played a bunch last night and only made it to mum once. I didn't get a very lucky run with items. Died on mum as well :(

Leezard

for example, the 'flat penny' will drop a gold key next time you pick up a regular penny.

I didn't figure out what the gold keys do. Do they count once for a regular door and once for a gold?

didn't figure out a lot of the passive abilities yet. like the ace of spades.

Love the 'eternal hearts' idea. if you keep em till the end of the level they turn into a red one.

I don't get the easy complaints either. I played a bunch last night and only made it to mum once. I didn't get a very lucky run with items. Died on mum as well :(

The gold keys seem to be keys that can unlock infinitely many doors on one floor. As soon as you leave the floor though, it disappears; even if you didn't use it even once.

Leezard

Yeah, but what makes it "passive"? Why is it named that? What's passive about them?

You have to press spacebar or Q to activate some items. Those items are called "active". Other items are not required to be activated; they are always active, or activates without you having to press a button. Those items are called "passive".

Haunted

Yeah, but what makes it "passive"? Why is it named that? What's passive about them?
Standard RPG term, "active" skills need to be, well, activated, while "passive" skills always run in the background without you having to do something.

The gold keys seem to be keys that can unlock infinitely many doors on one floor. As soon as you leave the floor though, it disappears; even if you didn't use it even once.
Gets you basically a skeleton key for all doors on that floor.

Which was pretty funny when I got around 20 golden keys on one floor due to the flat penny haha. He should probably make it so golden keys stop dropping when you have one in your inventory.

Otherwise, still enjoying. The fact that getting killed by a new enemy shows up nothing on the death letter is pretty lame, I hope they'll be fixing that and the Samson/Eve thing.
Both of these have been fixed with the patch yesterday, from my experience. :)

Haunted

So, what's going on with the Mac OSX release? o_O
Hopefully coming in the next update, along with the Steam achievements.

From McMillen's site

Patch notes:
Update notes: Wrath of the Lamb v1.1

-final game ending now plays at the correct time.
-bug where you get a dead end after killing mom in an XL chapter fixed
-items not showing they are unlocked after beating the game fixed
-music not playing in 5th chapters fixed
-Ghost isaac appearing when you find the small rock fixed(?)
-dollar bill changing into another item bug fixed
-Samsons name being even in death and boss intros fixed
-Challenge to main game exploit fixed
-Random character exploit fixed
-tech2 nerfed
-added extra digit to mom kills
I've encountered 5 of these in my playthroughs on release day. :lol

Achievements and Mac version:

We are currently working on getting the achievements published on steam as well as releasing the mac version.

There will be a minor update coming Friday that will have lots of small tweaks, balancing and other minor fixes… and maybe something special next week if you are good! (as a thanks for your patients)
Danny has also approved the music update to the digital soundtrack on steam, so if you own the soundtrack you will be getting 5+ new tracks in the next day or so as well, be on the look out!.

KarmaCow

Thanks to the new book room, finally managed to get the Monster Manual despite unlocking months ago, the last item I needed for the Golden God achievement.

Now to get the all the new items.

Also, Technology 2 + The Mulligan is ridiculous on bosses. Not only does the laser do continuous damage, kamikaze flies spawn constantly.

The expansion is pretty great overall but:
- I hate the cellar. Fuck spiders and fuck widow. Seriously.
- I'm starting to hate the pickup that turns your shots into green bombs. It's caused me tons of grief
- Fate seems pretty broken to me. As is Guppy's paw.

Top Bottom