• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrath of the Lamb |OT| A Binding of Isaac Expansion

I've played a couple of games and got to the new final boss but I died there :( Those spider enemies are extremely annoying. Its pretty fun trying to figure out what all the new stuff does. Prayer card is going to be a favourite. I killed a couple of Isaacs trying to figure out how the sacrifice room works :D I have some idea what the trinkets do: red cloth gives you bonus damage when hurt, missing paper sometimes triggers Necronomicon.

I also played two challenges, the first one, something with "unlucky", stopped after killing Mom. I didn't really notice what was different. The second one was Meat4Ever, you start with a full meat boy, no items rooms. Yet I got loads of items from the curse rooms, shops, angel and devil rooms etc. When I entered the womb, Isaac was an unstoppable powerhouse with homing spectral tears that did massive amounts of damage. Satan was a piece of cake.

- I'm starting to hate the pickup that turns your shots into green bombs. It's caused me tons of grief

Yeah, it's not worth it. I've gotten to Mom twice with the Explosive Shot but it is absolutely useless/dreadful against Mom since the shot goes through her leg every time and I always die.

Managed to finally beat it, though (not the whole thing, as I haven't gotten all the endings yet) with a combination of Tech2/Prayer Card/Charge Shot. Good times were had by all. And I definitely agree that Tech2 is ridiculous.

wutwutwut

Playing the Large Marge challenge, Cellar XL. Stupid spiders mean I'm down to 1 HP.

First boss: Pin. OK, piece of cake. Finish him without taking any damage.
Second boss: Widow. NOOOOO.

I died.

Also, now that Yum Heart recharges in 4 rooms, it's pretty great. Unless you have the battery or 9 volt, choosing between the Yum Heart and the Book of Revelations is pretty hard.

BigAT

Looks like achievements just got added, I had a bunch of new ones pop for me when I fired up Isaac just now.

Flynn

That's weird. I have the achievement for challenge 2, but only just beat challenge 1.

That's me beating mom for the first challenge.

Haunted

Oh man that's brilliant, evolution of Isaac screenshots like this should be an in-game feature that shows at the end of a run.

Achievements are about in line with the previous. Beat x with x, beat challenges etc. Also 4 secret ones if I counted correctly.

Haunted

Wait a sec, if there's two secret rooms on each floor now, does that mean XL versions could have three or more secret rooms? :eek:

Insured

Wait a sec, if there's two secret rooms on each floor now, does that mean XL versions could have three or more secret rooms? :eek:
I don't believe so, no. Gotta be something "curse-y" about the curse, I suppose!

PROTIP: Never try to use a forget-me-now with a curse of the labyrinth floor. Does not work as you might hope, at all. Sometimes it restarts on floor 2 of the area, but on the Large Marge challenge, it just moved to the next area as if I just climbed down. Is that what I gave my guppy's paw and a heart container for!? I basically doomed myself.

Joe Molotov

These new bosses are taking me out behind the woodshed. I've been killed by Super Greed, Queen of Carrion, and Widow in just the last 30 minutes.

I never got to Mom ever with the original. After playing with Wrath of the Lamb I finally beat Mom for the first time. I got plenty of health items, so I went in to the final battle with 8 hearts, minus a bit a damage I took.

Mr_Zombie

The power up that replaces your tears with green "bombs" is the worst thing ever. :|

I was almost unstoppable - had technology 2, third eye, randomized tears, dead cat (still with 8 lives, 3 red hearts and 2 silver hearts) and something that gave me wings. My tears were strong and fast as hell. I went through most of the game without a scratch. And then, just before the first fight with Mom, I picked the power up that replaced my tears with toxic bombs. And I kept dying during the boss fight not because mom (she only touched me once), but because the bombs kept exploding near me thus hurting me. Fuck.

Flynn

The power up that replaces your tears with green "bombs" is the worst thing ever. :|

I was almost unstoppable - had technology 2, third eye, randomized tears, dead cat (still with 8 lives, 3 red hearts and 2 silver hearts) and something that gave me wings. My tears were strong and fast as hell. I went through most of the game without a scratch. And then, just before the first fight with Mom, I picked the power up that replaced my tears with toxic bombs. And I kept dying during the boss fight not because mom (she only touched me once), but because the bombs kept exploding near me thus hurting me. Fuck.

Yeah, if you have Ipecac and you're getting chased by the boss you're doomed.

These new bosses are taking me out behind the woodshed. I've been killed by Super Greed, Queen of Carrion, and Widow in just the last 30 minutes.

The only new boss I have consistent trouble with is Widow, because of the damn spiders. But I absolutely hate Mask of Infamy, not because it's hard but because it's the most annoying boss in the game and takes forever if you don't have a piercing upgrade by the time you fight it.

As much as I love the Wrath of Lamb stuff, I'm very rarely getting any of the old items now. I've gotten Jesus Juice on nearly every playthrough. Technology 2 usually shows up every other playthrough and the Prayer Card is always in a shop early on, which is ridiculous.

Flynn

So I really do think my achievements are out of whack. I have beaten the first two challenges, but have the achievements for the second and third.

Insured

So I really do think my achievements are out of whack. I have beaten the first two challenges, but have the achievements for the second and third.
For me, the first three were scrambled. Beating #3 gave me the candle achievement.

Haunted

The only new boss I have consistent trouble with is Widow, because of the damn spiders. But I absolutely hate Mask of Infamy, not because it's hard but because it's the most annoying boss in the game and takes forever if you don't have a piercing upgrade by the time you fight it.

As much as I love the Wrath of Lamb stuff, I'm very rarely getting any of the old items now. I've gotten Jesus Juice on nearly every playthrough. Technology 2 usually shows up every other playthrough and the Prayer Card is always in a shop early on, which is ridiculous.
Samson is such a cool character if you get the right bosses (i.e. bosses that spawn enemies, like Widow, Husk or Carrion Queen). Lots of fun. And then you get to a lonely boss and he fucking sucks again. :p

And yeah, I think the drop rates are heavily geared towards the new items.

zulux21

The only plus is that it makes finding the secret rooms easy.

it wouldn't be so bad if spectral shot allowed it to go through rocks as well.... then it could be fun to hide in the rocks and blow up everything, but no it just explodes on your face if you try that lol

BigAT

Am I the only one that actually likes Ipecac? I got so used to using Dr. Fetus that I'm able to use it pretty effectively as well. I just love being able to shred through bosses in just a couple of hits.

Flynn

Ipecac is one of those weapons that everybody will hate for a while, then once we all learn it will kind of love for how uber it can feel when wielded with skill.

Haunted

Both Dr Fetus and Mega Fetus shit on Icepac from a great height.

Also, is it just me or did they increase the hitbox on Mom's foot attack? I swear I'm getting hit by her when I wouldn't in the original.

That simple change probably makes her the hardest boss in the game right now (imo).

Sciz

Am I the only one that actually likes Ipecac? I got so used to using Dr. Fetus that I'm able to use it pretty effectively as well. I just love being able to shred through bosses in just a couple of hits.
Dr. Fetus is nice because you get physical bombs that you can toss into enemies, or throw into a wall as you pass by for an effective short-fuse bomb substitute. It's considerably more flexible than the fixed-range Ipecac.

Also, is it just me or did they increase the hitbox on Mom's foot attack? I swear I'm getting hit by her when I wouldn't in the original.
Not just you. She stomps me like crazy unless I'm constantly moving or have some pretty good speed boosts.

BigAT

That simple change probably makes her the hardest boss in the game right now (imo).

I thought I was just ridiculously rusty from not playing for a while prior to WotL's release. Yeah, I get stomped all the time now too.

flowsnake

Update is go.

Wrath of the lamb v1.15
1. Rebalanced items appearing.
2. fixed a few minor graphics bugs
3. fixed a few item combo bugs
4. you can no longer fly out of some rooms.
5. Rebalanced damage multiplier items.
6. Rebalanced and fixed minor boss issues.
7. updated “i got killed by” icon list.
8. raised the quality of sounds and music
9. a handful of other minor tweaks and edits
10. raised frequency of some later bosses

we will be uploading a content update next friday that should spice things up a bit, we will also continue to balance and fix any existing bugs as well.

Fuck Monstro 2! I had Tech 2 and quad shot, maxxing out my attack power, and he ends me. I learned to dodge his huge lazer and got squished. I even had the 9 lives cat but only one heart. I was having the most fun ever with the game.

zulux21

Damn thing's useless unless you're already super-pro at avoiding damage, at which point you don't need extra lives anyway.

it's kind of fun if you can pick it up with one of the characters that have 1 starting HP on the first floor, but beyond that it is mostly useless yeah... it's a big trap lol.

Therion

I have a question about the new type of secret room with enemies in it. I cleared one out and then bombed through another wall, taking me to a section of map that was only connected to the main map through the secret room. Is this standard for that type of room, or was it a fluke of that particular map? If it's standard, it seems like a bad design decision, since if you run out of bombs you'll be stuck there and have to quit.

Flynn

I have a question about the new type of secret room with enemies in it. I cleared one out and then bombed through another wall, taking me to a section of map that was only connected to the main map through the secret room. Is this standard for that type of room, or was it a fluke of that particular map? If it's standard, it seems like a bad design decision, since if you run out of bombs you'll be stuck there and have to quit.

Don't run out of bombs.

I've had so many runs ended by mom lately. I beat it twice right after WotL came out, and then only gotten by mom once since, dying in some ridiculous room with a lot of explosive launching guys in the womb on an XL cursed floor :(

dk_

The challenge achievements are still buggy. Beat the first challenge and got the achievement for the second.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I don't seem to be getting any achievements at all. I beat the game with judas and cain just now but they are still locked. what's up with that?

I should have just earned 'the curved horn' but no go. damnit that was hard.

Haunted

Yeah, achievements are still iffy. I beat the first challenge and got the achievement for the third. Now I've beaten them all and still don't have the achievement for the first, although at least I got the reward item in-game.

The usual trick of restarting Steam and then Isaac to re-sync achievements didn't help this time.

Seems like McMillen ran out of time to QC this one! At least he's being fast with the fixes. I hope it'll be sorted out in a couple days.

ArjanN

Yeah, achievements are still iffy. I beat the first challenge and got the achievement for the third. Now I've beaten them all and still don't have the achievement for the first, although at least I got the reward item in-game.

The usual trick of restarting Steam and then Isaac to re-sync achievements didn't help this time.

Seems like McMillen ran out of time to QC this one! At least he's being fast with the fixes. I hope it'll be sorted out in a couple days.

It was exactly the same with the original release of the game, which also had plenty of bugs and issues with achievements, pretty much everything got patched, but I'm assuming this expansion introduced a whole bunch of new issues.

Top Bottom