• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wreckless 2 early shots !11

eso76

DS2_D4_0000.jpg

DS2_D4_0001.jpg

DS2_D4_0003.jpg

Shoot me if old.

Ah OK...had to switch over to Firefox...looks good and crispy, but that might have to do with the noticeable lack of filtering craziness that permeated the original. Is this a dead title? Or is W2 actually in the works?

edit: nm

AWESOME! I loved the first one.... and yes, I KNOW it had couple really stupid level designs but otherwise it was great fun. Too short too. But devs admitted themselves that they used almost all time doing the engine....heh. and their team was something like 9-10 people.

My wishlist:
Free-roam
Lot more vehicles
Please keep those cheesy but fun cutscenes
More military vehicles. Tank 70 is the best evar.

eso76

I don't know, they look very early, there's a mix of good and "meh" in these pics, but i trust the developers; wreckless still is one of the most impressive-looking titles on xbox.
At this point the fate of this sequel seems uncertain...i thought the first did well saleswise, didn't it ? wasn't it one of activision best / fastest selling titles back then ?

eso76 said:
I don't know, they look very early, there's a mix of good and "meh" in these pics, but i trust the developers; wreckless still is one of the most impressive-looking titles on xbox.
At this point the fate of this sequel seems uncertain...i thought the first did well saleswise, didn't it ? wasn't it one of activision best / fastest selling titles back then ?

It didn't do all that well in Japan, but it sold 317k in the US which is pretty good and usually enough for a sequel.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
eso76 said:
they definately are, nice find
I'm not so sure they are. These shots are from the february 2004 GDC presentation of the developer, where he was documenting some of his stuff with these images. If you browse the whole ppt file the other shots look a lot like something from Wreckless 1.

I was in awe when I saw this level for the very first time:

025.jpg

And military vehicles were too cool to drive...
079.jpg

084.jpg

082.jpg

102.jpg

150.jpg

Replays looked *almost* like real live footage, especially if you used some of the filters like the black&white filter. Damn, I need to play some Wreckless tonight when I get home. :D

MrSingh

Last heard that they lost most of their guys and there's only 4 guys left in the team.

They worked on the original with 8 guys + 4 temp workers.

Great engine, but need to hire an actual designer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PhatSaqs said:
whats up with the octagonal wheel wells :lol

Well, consider the type of environment displayed in Wreckless...

A massive, very populated city with tons of vehicles, people, and objects as well as mountains of filters and a advanced shadowing engine. I'd say those cars are very detailed when you take that into consideration...

I'd love to see a new GTA title built around their graphics engine...

Sho Nuff

Banned
I remember when I saw this for the first time and I was like "Oh yay fake rendered CG footage, show me the actual game" and they were like "No, that IS the actual game" and I was like "WHAT WHAT WHAT OMG THIS GAME IS FROM THE FUTURE"

Pity the game sucked butthole.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wreckless is still one of the best looking games ever created, even though it sucks. Cant wait for the eye candy the sequel throws up.

suikodan

Yeah, replays with the tank were frightening me a bit because it was looking so realistic, imagine a tank firing at everything on the street.

Great concept but bleh game

shuri

Banned
I like the NOW-EMEMRGENCY 911 on the Chicago police car. And whats with the screenshot of the asian guy standing in front of the tank. Thats so Tianamen

I remember a looooooooooong time ago that the wreckless developers promised us a game with the same engine except we will have free roam AND we could get out the car?

so is this gonna be in Wreckless 2?

if not...then I Cry....

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
dark10x said:
I'd love to see a new GTA title built around their graphics engine...
You and I both, man.

Here's hoping they can afford a competent level designer this time around...

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The first Wreckless still looks fuckin amazing in motion. I can't imagine how good this game will look.

I remember reading that they spent literally a good majority of the time on the first game building the graphics engine, and the gameplay was almost an afterthought. I imagine this game will be better in the gameplay department, even though there was quite a bit of (albeit sometimes frustrating) fun to be had in the original.

I worked on the first one. I can't wait for this one, man the first one was the most fun I have had on a game. Xbox version of course forget the PS2 and NGC pos.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
A free-roam made it to the PS2 version...not saying much, but still.

Future

-------------
Replays looked *almost* like real live footage, especially if you used some of the filters like the black&white filter.
-------------

Yup. Probably the first game that made me want to actually save some replays. With he filters it looked incredible. the only thing that affected the realism for me was the pop up and instant dissapearing of traffic that gets knocked over.

I wanted to like the game so much. :/

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The Wreckless team contended with the problem of untranslated hardware documentation which early titles for systems can face, though from the opposite perspective of needing it translated out of English, the native language in this case.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Lazy8s said:
The Wreckless team contended with the problem of untranslated hardware documentation which early titles for systems can face, though from the opposite perspective of needing it translated out of English, the native language in this case.

^^^ = I try so hard to carry the appearance of a superior intellect.

raYne

*wonders if this one is going to stay true to it's original xbox roots or if it'll all of a sudden have grenades/missles etc like the PS2 port of the first for some reason*

I had fun with the first, but it was definitely a one play through kind of game. Once you saw everything you really didn't want to do it again. I did have fun tearing the streets up and causing general chaos however. :lol

DarienA said:
^^^ = I try so hard to carry the appearance of a superior intellect.
:lol I read it twice and still was thinking "wtf?"

nitewulf

just make a free roaming spyhunter in the city type of thing. the graphics have alwyas kicked ass, some weapons added to teh cars and damage would just take it a notch higher.
they over use that shallow DoF effect though...jesus.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'd like it to be something like Turbo Esprit (Spectrum) or something like a free roaming Chase HQ, that would kick ass.

Top Bottom