• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

Jintor

Yeah I just recalled that for a few months there I was REALLY INTO the various kink memes going around the neck for a few fandoms

I had literally forgotten about it until yesterday

?oe?oe

Hey, first time posting in this thread :)

I've come to that point in life where I've decided writing is going to play a big part (whatever it can fit in really) in my life. I'm more interested in plays at the moment. I have written quite a number of short plays and I submitted one to Short+Sweet Sydney (the largest short play festival in the world) and out of over a 1000 entries, only 160 are selected. I was fortunate to be included and had my play performed for 5 nights! I received some great feedback due to the ambitious nature of my play. So it is very encouraging, especially for a newbie (well, returning writer from a child/teen).

I attend a monthly theatre event, where we test plays as a moved reading and have had plays performed there as well. Cash prizes at the end of the nights don't hurt either! I have connections and networking opportunities there I can use to my advantage.

No doubt I'll move back to writing short stories when I start my Degree in Communications (major in creative writing) next semester. I have Marketing qualifications as well, so I want to move into that kind of area, possibly copywriter, editor or marketing assistant for my income preferably (of course, I'll take anything at the moment >.>)

I already have a few self publishing sites bookmarked, but I don't know how to tackle it at this moment, especially with just shorts.

Any feedback is appreciated.

The (Mostly) Erroneous Tales of a Knight Errant:
He Lanced, A Lot
That Gal He Had

I think I'm off my rocker this morning (no that's not the third title).

I need some time to check out one or two of these. I don't understand just how sexy time we're getting. I mean there are free sex stories all over the internet.

He Lanced, A Lot
That Gal He Had

I need some time to check out one or two of these. I don't understand just how sexy time we're getting. I mean there are free sex stories all over the internet.

The Sword in Almost Everywhere?

I have a feeling that if I participated in this challenge with the main goal of telling the largest possible number of atrocious jokes, that I would not make a good end product.

Im fond of Pierre "Woody" Longson for a name.

Make it so~

Pretty damn bizarre. Here's something from the How To book:

"First off, maybe if you didn't write about crap nobody wants to read, then you'd get a few more units
moved off the shelf! Werewolf tooth fairies and BBW bowling ball sex pins don't have a large
audience. These may not be your first kinks to choose..."

Let's just say they're potentially MORE bizarre than those examples.

There's no way I have the ability to write "normal" erotica. My fingers just refuse to type anything even if I know exactly what to do.

Well, you could be a good test case to see just how well something that niche can do. As long as you have the right keywords I'm sure you'll find some kind of audience. I'm sure there has to be some overlap of some sort. Surely. Surely. :)

I've decided the name of my first one.

Doctor/Patient Privilege.

She came for a check up...she left with a load more.

All right, that's pretty funny, and I bet you'll sell lots just based on that.

Been hitting the Submission Grinder hard the past couple days. Looking forward to accumulating my rejection letters.

Good luck, man. Hoping for good news.

Welcome~ No experience with plays, but Aidan's just about ready to release his shorts into the world, and there are others here with shorts in the works, so you have some company. Post away.

He Lanced, A Lot
That Gal He Had

Haha. The more off your rocker you go, the better. It should be a fun little diversion. :)

The Sword in Almost Everywhere?

I have a feeling that if I participated in this challenge with the main goal of telling the largest possible number of atrocious jokes, that I would not make a good end product.

... I dare you to go with that title. I dare you.

Gaz_RB

I've come to that point in life where I've decided writing is going to play a big part (whatever it can fit in really) in my life. I'm more interested in plays at the moment. I have written quite a number of short plays and I submitted one to Short+Sweet Sydney (the largest short play festival in the world) and out of over a 1000 entries, only 160 are selected. I was fortunate to be included and had my play performed for 5 nights! I received some great feedback due to the ambitious nature of my play. So it is very encouraging, especially for a newbie (well, returning writer from a child/teen).

I attend a monthly theatre event, where we test plays as a moved reading and have had plays performed there as well. Cash prizes at the end of the nights don't hurt either! I have connections and networking opportunities there I can use to my advantage.

No doubt I'll move back to writing short stories when I start my Degree in Communications (major in creative writing) next semester. I have Marketing qualifications as well, so I want to move into that kind of area, possibly copywriter, editor or marketing assistant for my income preferably (of course, I'll take anything at the moment >.>)

I already have a few self publishing sites bookmarked, but I don't know how to tackle it at this moment, especially with just shorts.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Seems like you've got the right idea in regards to how you're trying to get noticed in the theater world. Keep at it and always be writing, whether its a play or short story or something else!

If you're getting back into short stories, come hit up The GAF Creative Writing Challenge if you haven't already. The current one is due tomorrow night and so might be too short notice for you to write something, but definitely submit next time!

May16

Has anyone here ever had their writing become an audiobook?

I've been eating those up lately and would love to hear one by a Gaffer, be it something I buy or something that I'm hearing for free in return for my critique. Audiobook GAF, you have an audience of at least 1 here.
:)

I'll post the revised dates and some of the research/tips I've found out so far tomorrow, but anyone who's interested, start writing now! Or at least start plotting(ha)/outlining.

I thought I'd give my first one a go today and I'm already 1500+ in, one sex(ish) scene down. Feels weirdly easy so far. I'm starting to think the covers might be the hardest thing about this.

I went ahead and wrote up a couple of thousand words. It ... doesn't feel sexy enough yet.

Maybe I'll need to get drunk and edit with my pants off or something. These are probably the tricks to the trade.

I'll post the revised dates and some of the research/tips I've found out so far tomorrow, but anyone who's interested, start writing now! Or at least start plotting(ha)/outlining.

I thought I'd give my first one a go today and I'm already 1500+ in, one sex(ish) scene down. Feels weirdly easy so far. I'm starting to think the covers might be the hardest thing about this.
Double entendre? Innuendo?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am gonna try my hand at serial fiction. I am liking the concept quite a bit, and I think I will buy a domain and use my own web servers to host it. The concept is really appealing to me, anyone else with experience with this?

Mike M

Nick N
I am gonna try my hand at serial fiction. I am liking the concept quite a bit, and I think I will buy a domain and use my own web servers to host it. The concept is really appealing to me, anyone else with experience with this?

I once wrote a story about how Cookie Cop was investigating Wendell for the murder of the other two Cinnamon Toast Crunch chefs, does that count?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Has anyone here ever had their writing become an audiobook?

I've been eating those up lately and would love to hear one by a Gaffer, be it something I buy or something that I'm hearing for free in return for my critique. Audiobook GAF, you have an audience of at least 1 here.
:)

I've actually thought about this, or rather I thought about starting a fake horror podcast sort of n the vein of Nightvale. At least once a day someone says I have a wonderful radio voice.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Anyone here go to writer workshops and conferences? I've just been accepted to my [URL="https://orionmagazine.org/orion-at-bread-loaf/[/URL] and was wondering if anyone can share their experiences.

I had a couple of really good experiences at the Surrey International Writers Conference when I went in my early twenties. The panels and events were interesting, but the most encouraging thing by far was the opportunity to mingle with so many professional authors, including one of my favourite authors, Terry Brooks, who kindly had breakfast with me one morning. It was (and still is) a huge source of inspiration for me.

Gaz_RB

I had a couple of really good experiences at the Surrey International Writers Conference when I went in my early twenties. The panels and events were interesting, but the most encouraging thing by far was the opportunity to mingle with so many professional authors, including one of my favourite authors, Terry Brooks, who kindly had breakfast with me one morning. It was (and still is) a huge source of inspiration for me.

The degree of jealousy I'm feeling towards you right now is kind of unnerving. Shannara has been my favorite series since I could even read.

Delio

Oh whoops we need to start today? Lemme figure out how im reworking Grotto into something shorter.

Zakalwe

Banned
6k words into my book. The first few chapters are bustling with life, and the entire story is planned out with a detailed synopsis (including in depth character bios and the history of the events surrounding the story).

Making the plan first has meant it can carry me a little as I follow its threads and watch the story that comes to life flit in and out of its confines. It's really exciting, it's almost as if the story is guiding me and I'm discovering it as it comes to life. Before I've always been so busied with the details, getting them out the way first has been incredibly liberating.

If anyone's interested the story is set in the near future. The people of our world have been beset with a mysterious condition that causes a dementia that turns people to a feral violence.

An alien signal reaches Earth, the signal contains an equation. The people of the Earth use the equation to boost technology forward hundreds of years and steady the spread of the condition.

But the danger is still present, and so they launch toward to the source of the alien signal to find answers.

Adults can not travel using the new technology as something in its energies accelerates the onset of dementia. Only children can go.

100 are selected. The story begins on launch day.

Themes of acceptance, trust, what it means to be human, the ties between love and hate, the duality of dark and light, faith versus logic, explorations of theism... It feels natural to include it all, and each character represents multiple facets meaning there's nothing as clear cut as "good" or "bad".

I'm writing it with a teenage audience in mind, but I'm not holding their hands. Exposition is delivered as unfolding parts contained within the dialogue and I'm trying to let plot points and character traits develop with subtle references by other characters that intertwine as they grow.

No idea what I'll eventually do with it, I'm just glad I'm writing it. :)

6k words into my book. The first few chapters are bustling with life, and the entire story is planned out with a detailed synopsis (including in depth character bios and the history of the events surrounding the story).

Making the plan first has meant it can carry me a little as I follow its threads and watch the story that comes to life flit in and out of its confines. It's really exciting, it's almost as if the story is guiding me and I'm discovering it as it comes to life. Before I've always been so busied with the details, getting them out the way first has been incredibly liberating.

If anyone's interested the story is set in the near future. The people of our world have been beset with a mysterious condition that causes a dementia that turns people to a feral violence.

An alien signal reaches Earth, the signal contains an equation. The people of the Earth use the equation to boost technology forward hundreds of years and steady the spread of the condition.

But the danger is still present, and so they launch toward to the source of the alien signal to find answers.

Adults can not travel using the new technology as something in its energies accelerates the onset of dementia. Only children can go.

100 are selected. The story begins on launch day.

Themes of acceptance, trust, what it means to be human, the ties between love and hate, the duality of dark and light, faith versus logic, explorations of theism... It feels natural to include it all, and each character represents multiple facets meaning there's nothing as clear cut as "good" or "bad".

I'm writing it with a teenage audience in mind, but I'm not holding their hands. Exposition is delivered as unfolding parts contained within the dialogue and I'm trying to let plot points and character traits develop with subtle references by other characters that intertwine as they grow.

No idea what I'll eventually do with it, I'm just glad I'm writing it. :)

So here's a note, and it's something that affects my own writing a LOT so I'm not trying to harp on you for it, just something to think about.

You basically just described two stories. There's so much backstory that you just told us that really is meaningless to someone who might be "interested" in it.

You could condense it like this:

-----------

For hundreds of years, Earth has been ravaged by a plague that turns adult humans into feral savages. All seemed lost until a mysterious alien message brought a means to slow the spread of the plague. But it's not a cure, and time is running out.

In order to eradicate the plague, the people of Earth must rest their hopes on 100 children sent into the furthest reaches of space, toward the origins of the alien signal --and whoever lies at its origin.

------------

Maybe it's just me, but ultimately I don't care about the backstory being an equation, any technology boosts, why the adults can't go, etc. There are a lot of details that I'll want to know if I decide to read it, but as of now they just slow me down as far as getting interested in the story you're trying to tell. Plus, I didn't realize the story was going to be about those kids until the very end. That's still the case in my example but it takes less time to get there.

I know you're just sharing it with us and I'm not going to tell you how to post, this has just been something on my mind a lot recently so I figured I'd mention it. I personally have a habit of including too much backstory and not getting to the point.

ANYWAY, after all that, I think it sounds cool :)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So here's a note, and it's something that affects my own writing a LOT so I'm not trying to harp on you for it, just something to think about.

You basically just described two stories. There's so much backstory that you just told us that really is meaningless to someone who might be "interested" in it.

-----------

For hundreds of years, Earth has been ravaged by a plague that turns adult humans into feral savages. All seemed lost until a mysterious alien message brought a means to slow the spread of the plague. But it's not a cure, and time is running out.

In order to eradicate the plague, the people of Earth must rest their hopes on 100 children sent into the furthest reaches of space, toward the origins of the alien signal --and whoever lies at its origin.

------------

Maybe it's just me, but ultimately I don't care about the backstory being an equation, any technology boosts, why the adults can't go, etc. There are a lot of details that I'll want to know if I decide to read it, but as of now they just slow me down as far as getting interested in the story you're trying to tell. Plus, I didn't realize the story was going to be about those kids until the very end. That's still the case in my example but it takes less time to get there.

I know you're just sharing it with us and I'm not going to tell you how to post, this has just been something on my mind a lot recently so I figured I'd mention it. I personally have a habit of including too much backstory and not getting to the point.

This is great advice, and the revised synopsis sounds fucking rad!

Zakalwe

Banned

-----------

------------

Well, the actual synopsis I have for release is almost identical to what you wrote for the exact reasons you described.

I was simply adding a little more to let the writers here know what my intentions were with the way the history of the story is shaped, I thought that might be interesting to read.

I'm not even finished with the story yet, so I'm not trying to sell it to anyone, I'm just excited I'm deep in the process and thought I'd share.

The advice is definitely good, and thank you. :)

Well, the actual synopsis I have for release is almost identical to what you wrote for the exact reasons you described.

I was simply adding a little more to let the writers here know what my intentions were, I thought that might be interesting to read.

I'm not even finished with the story yet, so I'm my trying to sell it to anyone, I'm just excited I'm deep in the process and thought I'd share. :)

It's cool, and I'm glad you're already doing it -- if nothing else it was instructive for ME to give it a lookover like that. And maybe it helps somebody else out.

Anyway, like I said, definitely feel free to share what you want.

By the way, the 100 characters reminds me of the "First Hundred" in the Mars Trilogy. Not sure if you've read it. As a related question: how many character perspectives are you planning to write from?

Zakalwe

Banned
It's cool, and I'm glad you're already doing it -- if nothing else it was instructive for ME to give it a lookover like that. And maybe it helps somebody else out.

Anyway, like I said, definitely feel free to share what you want.

By the way, the 100 characters reminds me of the "First Hundred" in the Mars Trilogy. Not sure if you've read it. As a related question: how many character perspectives are you planning to write from?

There are five main children as the book begins. Each chapter is named after a specific child and is told from their perspective. The numbers might grow/decrease as the story unfolds.

I've not heard of that series, should I read it? I have a space in my reading schedule coming up. Recommend me somewhere to begin! :3

Gaz_RB

I was simply adding a little more to let the writers here know what my intentions were, I thought that might be interesting to read.

I'm not even finished with the story yet, so I'm my trying to sell it to anyone, I'm just excited I'm in deep in the process and thought I'd share. :)

It was great to see where you're heading, keep at it. The only thing I can think of is that the premise (when factoring in that there are 100 kids getting sent) is quite similar to another young adult book/tv show, The 100, only flipped. Even changing the number would probably be a good step for separating yourself from seeming like the "me too" YA novelists. You premise is pretty interesting though.

I liked hearing about your process too, although I'm the complete opposite. I can never do an outline before writing. i just need to get knee deep in the story and sort of let the characters figure out where its going. If I try outlines I just find myself feeling like I'm sticking to rigidly to a plan and missing out other possible story opportunities. Though it seems like you've found a happy medium. If you ever want someone to help edit or whatever hit me up, I'm sort of at the same stage of my novel as well. Good luck.

?oe?oe

Welcome~ No experience with plays, but Aidan's just about ready to release his shorts into the world, and there are others here with shorts in the works, so you have some company. Post away.
Seems like you've got the right idea in regards to how you're trying to get noticed in the theater world. Keep at it and always be writing, whether its a play or short story or something else!

If you're getting back into short stories, come hit up The GAF Creative Writing Challenge if you haven't already. The current one is due tomorrow night and so might be too short notice for you to write something, but definitely submit next time!
Thanks guys. I'm writing a serious piece at the moment which deals with rape, so it's quite tough at the moment. It's in first person through both the perpetrator and victim's perspectives. It's quite a challenge.

Gaz_RB

Thanks guys. I'm writing a serious piece at the moment which deals with rape, so it's quite tough at the moment. It in first person through both the perpetrator and victim's perspectives. It's quite a challenge.

Damn, sounds pretty unique. I'd love to read it when you finish it.

Whelp, guess I lied.

Finished an erotic short story at 2.5k words. This is by far the stupidest and worst-written thing I have ever done. Kind of feel like a bit of my soul died with it as well, but it's done.

So yeah, guess I am in, H.pro. Going to write 4 more of these stupid things and that'll be it, even if they make me a ton of money. Maybe I'd write a quick one between "real" projects, but nothing more.

At least I hope not. Don't want to get used to writing this when I have a backlog of projects I actually want to do.

There are five main children as the book begins. Each chapter is named after a specific child and is told from their perspective. The numbers might grow/decrease as the story unfolds.

I've not heard of that series, should I read it? I have a space in my reading schedule coming up. Recommend me somewhere to begin! :3

The Mars Trilogy is by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's sci-fi of the semi-hard variety. I really loved it but I am really into stuff related to Mars. No aliens or anything like that. It's a bit, er, transparent about the author's ideals, but overall I found it a really engaging and interesting read. Anyway, it's about several members of the "First Hundred" sent to Mars as the planet is colonized around them. The three books -- Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars -- follow the transformation of the planet and the people on it over decades.

It's good if you want to get some ideas about making life actually work on a spaceship or colony, and the politics that arise in those spaces.

Zakalwe

Banned
It was great to see where you're heading, keep at it. The only thing I can think of is that the premise (when factoring in that there are 100 kids getting sent) is quite similar to another young adult book/tv show, The 100, only flipped. Even changing the number would probably be a good step for separating yourself from seeming like the "me too" YA novelists. You premise is pretty interesting though.

I liked hearing about your process too, although I'm the complete opposite. I can never do an outline before writing. i just need to get knee deep in the story and sort of let the characters figure out where its going. If I try outlines I just find myself feeling like I'm sticking to rigidly to a plan and missing out other possible story opportunities. Though it seems like you've found a happy medium. If you ever want someone to help edit or whatever hit me up, I'm sort of at the same stage of my novel as well. Good luck.

The number is pretty ingrained, I like how it reads but there's more. 100 is a low enough number for the crew to be intimate and losses be felt by everyone on board, and large enough for there to be a dynamic group to surround the main characters.

It just seems to fit perfectly. If you have any suggestions to work around these things I'm definitely open.

I'm not too worried about being told it sounds like other ideas, though, I think 100 is a pretty common number to use in stories in similar contexts, the execution is (hopefully) where I'll make it my own.

Thank you for the offer, my fiancée is handling that for now. I don't want I share too much until I have a first draft, if you're willing to read that it should be done in a month or two. :)

Until then I think I'll be pretty engrossed in this, when I'm done I'll definitely be willing to help anyone here!

Gaz_RB

The number is pretty ingrained, I like how it reads but there's more. 100 is a low enough number for the crew to be intimate and losses be felt by everyone on board, and large enough for there to be a dynamic group to surround the main characters.

It just seems to fit perfectly. If you have any suggestions to work around these things I'm definitely open.

I'm not too worried about being told it sounds like other ideas, though, I think 100 is a pretty common number to use in stories in similar contexts, the execution is (hopefully) where I'll make it my own.

Thank you for the offer, my fiancée is handling that for now. I don't want I share too much until I have a first draft, if you're willing to read that it should be done in a month or two. :)

Until then I think I'll be pretty engrossed in this, when I'm done I'll definitely be willing to help anyone here!

Sounds good. It really is all in the execution, as you said. And yeah I'd love to trade first drafts with you. Good luck!

Zakalwe

Banned
Sounds good. It really is all in the execution, as you said. And yeah I'd love to trade first drafts with you. Good luck!

It's a date.

What's yours about, btw?

The Mars Trilogy is by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's sci-fi of the semi-hard variety. I really loved it but I am really into stuff related to Mars. No aliens or anything like that. It's a bit, er, transparent about the author's ideals, but overall I found it a really engaging and interesting read. Anyway, it's about several members of the "First Hundred" sent to Mars as the planet is colonized around them. The three books -- Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars -- follow the transformation of the planet and the people on it over decades.

It's good if you want to get some ideas about making life actually work on a spaceship or colony, and the politics that arise in those spaces.

Thank you, I'll check the series out. Sounds like it could be a benefit. :)

Revised Mini-Challenge:

Writing GAF Mini-Challenge of What the Hell, Why Not

Guidelines:
- Write 3 erotic shorts (2,000 – 8,000 words*) by May 9th
(Proofreading/editing 2nd week of May)
- Simultaneous release of everyone’s first erotic short to be May 18th
- 2nd short to be published May 25th, and 3rd on June 1st
- Bundle of all 3 to be published in June for 1.99-4.99 (if your shorts are <5000k 1.99, if >5000k 4.99)
- Release platform: Amazon
- Pricing (TBD. Thinking 1st free and on KU(?), and the other two at .99 or 2.99)
- Willingness to share sales/profit numbers (if any):)P) so that we can track and compare

Checklist:
- 3 proofread/edited shorts ready for publication by May 18th (uploaded that morning)
- Silly pen name
- Book covers
- Blurbs
- Amazon account/agreement to publish**

*If your shorts are less than 5k, price ~.99 or 1.99. Shorts at 5k+ are to be priced at $2.99
**Publishing under your pen name on Amazon (as gleaned from other authors) -

1) You can have up to 3 pen names. Once you have a work published, search the work through Author Central and then claim it. You'll be prompted to add the new pen name to your dashboard. Once you verify that it is, they will set up a separate page for that pen name. After that, a drop down menu, at the right top of the screen, will show all your pen names.
^Question yet to be answered is how to publish without being logged into your real account, though if you put put the author name as the pen name when you're publishing, maybe it just doesn't connect to your AC account and floats out there until claimed...?

Resources:

Formatting - (Haven't used these myself, but they were recommended as free and compatible with Kindle needs)

1) Draft2Digital - free formatting
2) Mark Cokers formatting guide for Smashwords

Covers: DIY & Paid cover resources

1) 4 Incredible Free Sources for Photos to Use in Your Book or Blog - Good info about the process of getting photos + free and paid sites listed
2) Canstockphoto - Free and paid images
3) Fiverr - Recommended by reddit/used by other authors putting out shorts if you don't want to design your own

Tip from other erotica authors:
1) Do not upload on Friday nights (to Amazon)
2) Titles really need to be eye-catching for the genre
3) Nail your keywords
4) One bestselling author noted not to put your book in the erotica category*.
They also said to not use taboo, step-family, virgin or anything like that in keywords.
5) Blurbs need to be tight and suggestive (without getting you flagged by Amazon as ADULT), not meandering

A hilarious, but compact example I saw:
"Julie's life is out of control and empty. As a 21-year-old college drop-out, she wanders the side show, looking for something, anything, to make her feel alive. When she sees six-foot, seven-inch Arnold under the Strong Man canopy, she realizes she may have found just what she's been craving. But can she take his raw power?"

*I'm not so sure about this. Maybe sirap can shed some light on it.

Other thoughts:
One of the free options for sharing/getting your work out there is Wattpad, but the Wattpad format pretty much requires you just post your work for free. What this does get you is a lot of readers and eyes/feedback, so I think it might be good to release here at the same time as well with the first short.

Participants
Me
Nappuccino
Gaz_RB
Delio
Blargonaut
Jintor
timetokill
toddhunter
Nudull?
mu cephei
FlowersisBritish
Cyan
cosmicblizzard

Oh whoops we need to start today? Lemme figure out how im reworking Grotto into something shorter.

Yes, get started so that you're not scrambling near the end and have time to revise and edit. More time means you can polish or fiddle with covers and the like. <-- Your covers must be done by each upload date or you won't have a cover.

Whelp, guess I lied.

Finished an erotic short story at 2.5k words. This is by far the stupidest and worst-written thing I have ever done. Kind of feel like a bit of my soul died with it as well, but it's done.

So yeah, guess I am in, H.pro. Going to write 4 more of these stupid things and that'll be it, even if they make me a ton of money. Maybe I'd write a quick one between "real" projects, but nothing more.

At least I hope not. Don't want to get used to writing this when I have a backlog of projects I actually want to do.

Haha. Yours will be a grand experiment in several ways, then. Pricing-wise, the $2.99 sirap mentioned does seem to be standard, but for shorts that are 5000 and up. Under that I'd price .99 or 1.99 or people might not bite bc of the length to cost ratio. You cool with that? I imagine others will join you in the under 5k test case.

Sounds like a slippery slope

:3

They also said to not use taboo, step-family, virgin or anything like that in keywords.

Huh, that's interesting. The book sirap recommended mentioned using taboo and virgin a lot.

Haha. Yours will be a grand experiment in several ways, then. Pricing-wise, the $2.99 sirap mentioned does seem to be standard, but for shorts that are 5000 and up. Under that I'd price .99 or 1.99 or people might not bite bc of the length to cost ratio. You cool with that? I imagine others will join you in the under 5k test case.

Bah, I might want to increase the length a little bit then. Can we bring it down to 4000 words? The book said 4500 should be minimum for 2.99, but I think we can give ourselves at least a bit of leeway.

I might just do 1.99 anyway though, but 2.99 does give more advantages beyond just royalty rate. I'll see when I've written more.

Jintor

My ideas keep twisting depending on how tired I am lol. Simple scenarios devolve into weird talky things. Hopefully I can carve out some time to write tomorrow...

On the non-erotica front, one thing I've been doing to keep writing daily fresh and interesting but also not have to actually plot out anything whatsoever is to write a Let's Play of my XCOM campaign. It's not exactly what we generally think of around these parts when it comes to writing but I must've churned at least 15k words of this over the past two weeks, so I may as well link it and see what ya'll think.

You cannot publish without being logged into your own account.
It's business for profit, so your entire legal information is needed by default (and without exception) for payment and taxes.
(thankfully, they dropped the whole cheque thing and you can now put everything in EFT. That cheque business was hilariously incompetent, considering that the payout threshold was a 100 bucks for cheques. It's 10 for EFT. I don't think you can use Paypal though, since you know: taxes, legal stuff.)

Amazon let only one user publish: you. (logged into KDP) The "author name" you give up for the work-to-be-published is just another pseudonym, and since it will be published under your account (only amazon and you see this, Store users see only the pseudonym) with your email attached to it, Amazon will automatically email you with a "is this you" message where you get the link to make an author central page for that pseudonym anyway. You can do this manually, but there is little need for that.

Also keep in mind that there is about a week (or less) in which the content is checked and the work will be in a 'checking' (I forgot the term they use) state until they give the clear for it.

And while you can 'unpublish' (which the earlier suggestion by Sirap seems to have been as well), thereby removing it from the public front, it will stay on your account's 'shelf' forever. Laughing... taunting.... grrrrr.

*snap*
Wait, what? Oh, right, the shelf is about 10 works long, so if you're one those "publish or die" people you wouldn't be fazed by this.

Thanks, Zeitgeister. Very helpful. That's what I thought had to be the case, but I hadn't checked Amazon itself yet for the details (just browsing what other authors had said/done). I'll add that to the post.

Huh, that's interesting. The book sirap recommended mentioned using taboo and virgin a lot.

Bah, I might want to increase the length a little bit then. Can we bring it down to 4000 words? The book said 4500 should be minimum for 2.99, but I think we can give ourselves at least a bit of leeway.

I might just do 1.99 anyway though, but 2.99 does give more advantages beyond just royalty rate. I'll see when I've written more.

I'm honestly fine with whatever you want to price yours at. Those numbers were just what I gleaned from various discussions other erotic authors had on forums and sirap's input. If 4000-45000 is also doable at 2.99, then go for it. I just want everyone's out of the gate with the best chance and lower word counts might be a hard sell at the higher prices.

For the keywords, yeah... I keep seeing contradicting info here. I think perhaps omitting the taboo stuff is just to lower the chances of Amazon reviewing your book and slapping you with the ADULT rating, which is apparently the kiss of death sales-wise. Could be fine, but I'm going to err on the side of caution, myself.

Care to add any other tips from the book? What else does she recommend?

Top Bottom