• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

Damn, haven't gotten a single review over 3 releases and 1 bundle. Congrats!

You did get way more sales/borrows, though! I'm hoping the review might translate into another buy or two. Momma's gotta pay for that next quality canva cover! :D

After another week I settle on 7 borrows and 2 sales. Also holy crap the next one goes up tomorrow? Geez.

Nice results! And, yep, this train keeps going. Get geared up!

Delio

You did get way more sales/borrows, though! I'm hoping the review might translate into another buy or two. Momma's gotta pay for that next quality canva cover! :D

Nice results! And, yep, this train keeps going. Get geared up!

Now to search all night for a good image of two guys that can be a cover. Funny enough these sites while helpful seem to barely have any images I can use for that.

Hoping for better results than 0 buys, 0 purchases and 0 guys in dirty trench coats clicking on my amazon page and raising their eyebrows slightly before getting something else.

I'm not all that optimistic.

I asked earlier, but didn't see any comments on it.

Any recommendations on stock image sites? Where are y'all looking/acquiring your stuff?

360pages

Canva is pretty good, also giving away some of my shorter stuff for free. Might as well, I think you would need to write about 10 shorts to even start seeing profits and whatnot from everything.

This isn't even talking about supplementary income, I'm talking about if you want to make like 40$ a week.

360pages

Also shoot out a bunch of them, I got 32 free downloads. Which is more than zero.

Hopefully after the few days I can get a couple of sales.

What worked for me was going to Panera Bread and writing in my notebook. Being there rather than home made it feel like I was setting out for a task to do like when I'm at work or in a classroom. This helped me to focus on what I'm writing only. It's an option to consider.
This is a good idea. I just discovered last week that County Market, only a few blocks from me, has a really nice upstairs section where I can sit and write. I think I'll pack my stuff up today and go out there.

Reedirect

I don't normally post much in this thread, but it's pretty impossible not to share my today's excitement here.

I finished the first draft of my first novel. It ended up being around 120K words, which is much more than I originally anticipated from this story (a relatively straightforward murder mystery). But I had a lot of fun writing some of the characters, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Well, now it's editing time.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I don't normally post much in this thread, but it's pretty impossible not to share my today's excitement here.

I finished the first draft of my first novel. It ended up being around 120K words, which is much more than I originally anticipated from this story (a relatively straightforward murder mystery). But I had a lot of fun writing some of the characters, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Congrats! Now the fun begins. :)

I mean that genuinely. Over the years, I've found that I've begun to enjoy editing even more than I enjoy the initial act of writing.

I'm wondering if I should submit Erotica short #2 today or wait til tomorrow. It's ready to go, but I'm not sure how holidays affect sales, or how long after submission you lose your "submission bump magic," since by the time it's approved it might be like 9pm PST or later.

Holiday weekend messed up my planning! Haha. Also, writing a 10K short when I had intended on 5K didn't help.

Congrats!!

Congratulations! You got the hard part out of the way. Editing is easy, just repetitive.

Have any of you encountered hatred when it's found out that an author or content creator, "just made shit up as he went?" Because I see it now and then, and it bothers me.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WritingByTheSeatOfYourPants

Just fuckin' going with whatever comes to mind is my preferred way to write, and I certainly thing it yields better results than when I plan things out far in advance. It's also just way more fun to let your characters do what they're supposed to do instead of forcing them into your nice little plot.

But that's me, and I certainly realize there's no "wrong way" to write anything.

But damn, I get mad when people find out their favorite thing was "JUST MADE UP ON THE SPOT? FUCK THAT" simply because it's just crazy to think an author didn't know the ending when he started, "once upon a time..."

Congratulations! You got the hard part out of the way. Editing is easy, just repetitive.
Oh man, I feel the exact opposite in that regard. It's so fun writing that first draft, but editing is a pain in the ass for me. Necessary, but man it fucks with my emotions.

Jintor

I guess the main thing is that I like to get the impression that an author seeded a bunch of evidence that I could have put together if I had wanted to, but didn't, and that's harder to do when flying by the seat of your pants. Though obviously in writing (unless you're writing serial) you can just go back and edit that stuff in, if it's not too giant plot changing.

I guess the main thing is that I like to get the impression that an author seeded a bunch of evidence that I could have put together if I had wanted to, but didn't, and that's harder to do when flying by the seat of your pants. Though obviously in writing (unless you're writing serial) you can just go back and edit that stuff in, if it's not too giant plot changing.
Right. I see the complaint with things like manga and anime the most, and since those are released chapter by chapter, they don't have the luxury of going back and editing in more foreshadowing or expanding on themes.

My bitching about editing probably comes down to the way I write though, since writing that way tends to lead to overwriting for one thing, and sometimes messy plot points for another. But obviously you fix all of that before calling the project done, and hopefully people only know you wrote like a crazy person if you tell them :p

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Have any of you encountered hatred when it's found out that an author or content creator, "just made shit up as he went?" Because I see it now and then, and it bothers me.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WritingByTheSeatOfYourPants

Just fuckin' going with whatever comes to mind is my preferred way to write, and I certainly thing it yields better results than when I plan things out far in advance. It's also just way more fun to let your characters do what they're supposed to do instead of forcing them into your nice little plot.

But that's me, and I certainly realize there's no "wrong way" to write anything.

But damn, I get mad when people find out their favorite thing was "JUST MADE UP ON THE SPOT? FUCK THAT" simply because it's just crazy to think an author didn't know the ending when he started, "once upon a time..."

I kinda jump between the two styles. Sometimes I like to plan things out a little. At the very least i want to get my beginning figured out so I have somewhere to go from. I also really like it when I have my ending planed out as well. It's rare, but there's something nice about knowing where you're going. Actually as i type that out, maybe I like to plan things out more than I realized....

Oh man, I feel the exact opposite in that regard. It's so fun writing that first draft, but editing is a pain in the ass for me. Necessary, but man it fucks with my emotions.

I actually find editing to be super cathartic. It's just a long intimate process and I like that. It's a pain in the ass, but I like to think of it like jogging. Painful, but you lose yourself in it.

At 5 borrows and 1 sale now. Amazon UK seems to like it better than Amazon US, weirdly. :p

Now to search all night for a good image of two guys that can be a cover. Funny enough these sites while helpful seem to barely have any images I can use for that.

Yeah. Haven't seen a lot of paired stuff unless it's man/woman. Might have to go with one hot guy implying something. :p

Hoping for better results than 0 buys, 0 purchases and 0 guys in dirty trench coats clicking on my amazon page and raising their eyebrows slightly before getting something else.

I'm not all that optimistic.

Maybe switching up the keywords, categories, or even tweaking the cover a little will give it a refresher?

I asked earlier, but didn't see any comments on it.

Any recommendations on stock image sites? Where are y'all looking/acquiring your stuff?

Did you check out all the links I included in the resource section for the challenge?

B]Resources:[/B]

- Covers: DIY & Paid cover resources
1) Canva - Super cheap and easy to use
2) 4 Incredible Free Sources for Photos to Use in Your Book or Blog - Good info about the process of getting photos + free and paid sites listed
3) Canstockphoto - Free and paid images
4) Fiverr - Recommended by reddit/used by other authors putting out shorts if you don't want to design your own

Also, try to promote one of your shorts for free.

http://www.seanogle.com/entrepreneurship/increase-amazon-kindle-book-sales

It might not mean a lot, but free copies might transfer into paid copies later if you keep a steady stream of content and what not.

^This is a good general guideline for what we're doing. Everyone should check it out to give the freebie promotion a go with their books later down the line.

Okay pushed the button for short #2.

0 sales, 0 borrows for short #1. I'm making it free starting tomorrow for a few days.

People love freebies! Keep us posted~

Congrats! That's a huge accomplishment. :)

360pages

I got one legit sale from 68 freebies. So if you write one during a free permotion you might get more attention. Like try to have 1 thing free at all times, of course this means you are going to have to write a lot more.

Did you check out all the links I included in the resource section for the challenge?

B]Resources:[/B]

- Covers: DIY & Paid cover resources
1) Canva - Super cheap and easy to use
2) 4 Incredible Free Sources for Photos to Use in Your Book or Blog - Good info about the process of getting photos + free and paid sites listed
3) Canstockphoto - Free and paid images
4) Fiverr - Recommended by reddit/used by other authors putting out shorts if you don't want to design your own

I must've missed those! Thanks for reposting them. That's very helpful!

Here's the cover for my new book.

extreme_haunt_cover_reveal.jpg

I expect a late June or early July release. It really depends on how the physical edition comes together and the time I need to get some promotion going.

Well, making short #1 free seems to be having an effect. 21 free units. I'm guessing free units don't affect ranking though, because it remains unranked. Either that or ranking needs to catch up.

It'll be interesting to see whether it has an impact on short #2 or if people are just grabbing free stuff.

Locke09

Neo Member
How do you all motivate yourselves to write after work? All day at work I'm itching to get some writing done, but by the time I get home I'm so worn out that getting any constructive writing done is a real stretch

Delio

First day for Short two and I got one sale right away. I wonder if one of the sales from the first short carried over.

Been a month since the first short was published. Let's see how things have gone.

Assuming all those borrowers have read the required 10%, that's in the $70-$75 range. This is over 3 shorts and 2 bundles, though a good chunk of the sales/borrows comes from the first short.

Not awful I guess. Of course this turning into 10k a month like some of the authors sirap mentioned seems like a fantasy at this point. Guess we'll see how the shorts yet to be released will do.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
How do you all motivate yourselves to write after work? All day at work I'm itching to get some writing done, but by the time I get home I'm so worn out that getting any constructive writing done is a real stretch

So i commute, and I also work really late, after the buses stop running, meaning I have to walk home most nights. I like to listen to some nice music as I walk back and think about stories and ideas on the way. By the time i get back, I already have at least a little something I want to write about, and a few key songs I want to listen to while doing it. Really, I look at it as a nice way of decompression after my shift.

mu cephei

Yeah, this is kind of my problem. I'm thinking furiously all day at work about writing, thinking about it on the drive home, then I get home and watch the tennis instead.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

I generally write in the mornings and on my lunch break. I can also divide my attention between writing/editing and watching sports, so, if my daughter's in bed and my wife is busy with something, I can get some time in. I also find it helpful to leave my house, go to a coffee shop and write there. If I'm at home, I often want to veg.

I usually write in the mornings on the weekends when no one else is awake or late at night when an idea simply can't wait.

By the way I guess I forgot to hit a button on the 2nd short so it wasn't free for Kindle Unlimited. I hit the enroll in KDP Select button but it's not updated on the site yet. Ugh.

By the simple fact that if i don't, I'll never finish anything I start.

I pace myself. You don't have to write a full chapter when you get home, or even four or five pages. Pick something you know is manageable and just do that. Something is better than nothing, becuase something = progress.

I do two single-spaced pages a night when I'm working on a project. Sometimes I do more, but I almost never do less. It's a fairly easy goal as it only takes about an hour to an hour and a half to complete, and then I can do other things.

Delio

While I tweet something every day from my erotica pen name, I only have 3 followers. I must not be good at trying to be a mid 20s female.

I dunno how I got 27 followers on my pen name account. Although Ive noticed some people unfollow me the moment I tweet about my shorts. So i add some slice of life stuff inbetween so I dont come off as a bot :D

mu cephei

My erotica pen name twitter has more followers than real life me

I'm not sure how to feel about that

While I tweet something every day from my erotica pen name, I only have 3 followers. I must not be good at trying to be a mid 20s female.

I dunno how I got 27 followers on my pen name account. Although Ive noticed some people unfollow me the moment I tweet about my shorts. So i add some slice of life stuff inbetween so I dont come off as a bot :D

This level of dedication for these shorts is really impressive. I like twitter, and I know it's useful, and necessary these days, but gosh.

I have 84 followers on my erotic twitter. o_O Not sure how it happened. Just followed a few erotic accounts and they just came to me.

Wow

Top Bottom