• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

Mike M

Nick N
My self esteem hasn't suffered enough this week, think I'll go and submit more stuff!

Honestly kind of surprised that there's not a "Humor" genre on Submission Grinder...

Ashes

Banned
My self esteem hasn't suffered enough this week, think I'll go and submit more stuff!

Honestly kind of surprised that there's not a "Humor" genre on Submission Grinder...

A few years ago, I read a rejection letter, which said, wow, this is all kinds of awesome, but damn is this going to be a tough sale. So we're sorry to let this go. We genuinely hope you keep writing. Then I woke up.

We are such stuff as dreams are made on.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
This is kind of off topic. Thing is, I don't really have any other place I'm comfortable to talk about this in, so bear with me as I try to keep on topic. For a couple years I thought of how much I changed as a kid. I was a good kid, I stuck up for people, I couldn't care less about myself or my own gains. And then I became an adolescent/teenager and I kinda became a shit. Only thing I really wanted from women was sex, and then I got that and realized how empty it was. I stopped sticking up for the offbeat kid, even though I kept hanging out with them. And now( I won't go into details, but it's kind of an accumulation of a lot of stuff) I feel like I've become something. I feel I've become the adult a five year old me can be proud of. One that's a good person, one that's following their dreams. A year ago I was told that the toughest part of adulthood is having it close in on your dreams, how reality and bills can crush it, but fuck I really want to be a writer. I really want to be a good person. It's really weird to think I might achieve these two things.

Maybe I'll try and turn these emotions into a story. WHo knows. A story a five year old e would like to read. Other's experiences with adulthood and writing and just general personhood would be appreciated.

Ashes

Banned
I've given up several times already. My brain doesn't seem to want to listen.

I look at the average writer's wages in London, and have long since decided that it wasn't for me to make a living out of what I personally like. I have a mortgage and a family to take care of.

Earlier this year, I consciously decided, upon evaluating my time and priorities, that I was going to have to take an extended break from the Gaf writing challenges. I'd already stopped writing poetry earlier on because it takes far longer to construct a poem than to write a short story.

But it's harder than you think to stow away. So you may as well make time for it. Even at the expense of reading. Which I missed.

So I have an agent requesting a manuscript of my book. Is there anything in particular I should include in the email I send with it, because I"m tempted to offer him a blowjob given how many rejections I've so far gotten.

Dresden

I'd imagine that this is just routine for him, meaning you should handle it in the same way and just send what he asked for politely and promptly. So no dick pics or a letter written in the blood of your firstborn son.

I'd imagine that this is just routine for him, meaning you should handle it in the same way and just send what he asked for politely and promptly. So no dick pics or a letter written in the blood of your firstborn son.
Right. I went with short, sweet, and to the point. Gotta keep it all...comfortable.

Sure.

Right now I'm just terrified that my email might go to his spam folder and HE WILL NEVER SEE IT AND FORGET ABOUT ME AND I WILL DIE ALONE AND FORGOTTEN

But otherwise, still pretty stoked on this.

Right. I went with short, sweet, and to the point. Gotta keep it all...comfortable.

Sure.

Right now I'm just terrified that my email might go to his spam folder and HE WILL NEVER SEE IT AND FORGET ABOUT ME AND I WILL DIE ALONE AND FORGOTTEN

But otherwise, still pretty stoked on this.
Stay stoked. Sounds awesome. Congrats.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Right now I'm just terrified that my email might go to his spam folder and HE WILL NEVER SEE IT AND FORGET ABOUT ME AND I WILL DIE ALONE AND FORGOTTEN.

This happens to me every time I respond to an important email or submit a story.

Congrats, though! That's a legitimate milestone!

Congrats, out of curiosity did you contact him, or did he contact you?
I contacted him at first. Found a database of agents accepting unsolicited queries and just kept going down the line.

I've now realized that checking my email is scary becuase there might be a rejection from him :[

Also, still no email confirming that he got my email.

Wondering if I should wait two weeks to ask him about that or do the general 4-6 weeks and if I've heard nothing, ask him how it's going along? Google says both, so I dunno who is right.

Ashes

Banned
All these ten year old plus games resurrections reminded me of a conversation I had with a brother and sister of mine a while back.

I wrote a novel about ten years ago. Took a heck of a long time to write it. & a heck of a long time to plan it. With no real intention to publish or send out or have people read it. It was one of those, ooh wouldn't it be cool if... etc..

I was working on the second bit - not necessarily a sequel, but to keep things simple, it might as well have been. And I just got stuck. And left it for months and years.

So in the initial interim period I dipped in and out of the first book. Redrafted chapters. Changed sequences. Dropped scenes. Then raised them from the dead etc. You know normal revision stuff. But at some point over the five year period, I thought I'd lost it. But then was so mightily relieved that I could recover a great portion of it. In fact, at the time I thought all of it... maybe.

By then I was on gaf writing challenges and was onto other novels, short stories, poems etc. And I just stopped working on it full stop, realising that the novel in question had insurmountable problems.

So fast forward ten years, and my brother and sister were talking about my writing from way back then. I was in the corridor adjacent to the room and was reading some article. And my brother was like oh hey Ashes did you ever write that sequel for that novel you wrote? And he summarised a bit. And I said nope.

To be honest, I didn't realise anybody else had read it. I must have printed out copies for revision somewhere. Or he got it from an e-reader it was on at some point.

& whilst I am wondering whether it had any real dodgy story departures such as in game of thrones and incest (who has time to explain that authors can have distance from their projects and that projects don't necessarily reflect them? (as luck would have it, the story didn't)), I'm also drawn to actually finishing it.

So in the afterglow of e3, I go back to this novel. And yep the problems are still very much evident, but salvageable.. maybe? If only to please my own self. :p

Except large holes have appeared in the notes. And a lot of stuff just ends on cliff hangers - well half way through their story arc. And I can't recall what my thought processes were in a great deal of scenes. And there's a whole battle sequence that just points to the historical battle of waterloo. But what about that battle? I'm sure I knew what I was doing then. All I know now is that yesterday was the 200th anniversary of the battle of Waterloo.

Makes a for nice coincidence, but almost nothing helpful.

tldr; going back through old stuff is as hard as you might imagine it to be.

360pages

Honestly, I am actually going to start looking for a Beta and what not for the story I'm planning on publishing. Never too early to start, and they could help me stop any accidental point of view shifts or spelling or what areas need more detail or not.

FlowersisBritish

tldr; going back through old stuff is as hard as you might imagine it to be.

Old stuff is crazy in that regard. In a weird way, maybe it'll work out better this way. If the novel has problems, then maybe tens years extra of experience is enough to fix all those problems now. Are you going to rewrite the entire thing? Or just try and salvage what you have?

aidan

Old stuff is crazy in that regard. In a weird way, maybe it'll work out better this way. If the novel has problems, then maybe tens years extra of experience is enough to fix all those problems now. Are you going to rewrite the entire thing? Or just try and salvage what you have?

I feel like the most important aspect of putting time between yourself and your work is that you gain perspective and lose the warm fuzzies that attach you to your work. Return to something a few months or years after writing it, and all of a sudden all of your little darlings rear their ugly heads, and it's much easier to excise them.

FlowersisBritish

I feel like the most important aspect of putting time between yourself and your work is that you gain perspective and lose the warm fuzzies that attach you to your work. Return to something a few months or years after writing it, and all of a sudden all of your little darlings rear their ugly heads, and it's much easier to excise them.

That's true, but my big problem whenever I've tried to go through really old stuff is that I don't have the same passion for it as when I wrote it. It's fun to read and edit, but when it comes to adding in details, i find myself at difficulty trying to replicate my style and voice at the time. It's worse when there are small details to the story I know are there but i forget all about them.

360pages

Very rarely do you need a complete rewrite of something if it has been edited as you went. But sometimes it might be easier to rewrite a chapter than inserting descriptions here or there. Edit it first and get a friend or an editor to look over it. If it's just a project just have another writing friend look over it.

It is also important to have non writers look over your work. Just to get a different perspective.

Ashes

Banned

This very much depends on how the resolutions tie into the whole. Some characters might not be so important in the end. So a page long history lesson on their background, whilst awesome and cool [well to me anyway], might not be needed. Then again, I like the idea of random character histories, just as a side piece to the main show. It's not going to be like most novels, but that's the luxury of writing entirely for your self. No need to please anyone but your self. Of course you want to do the novel justice. So the no deadlines part is a huge bonus! :)

Soulfire

Yep I got that feedback while trying to get the bundle published. Basically using that produces too many results now.

Same thing happened to me. My sales/borrows went from over twenty a day to five. It's been brutal to watch. Just trying to finish the last book in the series and start another one.

Tomita

Hey, first time posting here. Feels a little off topic to ask for some writing advice, but I've been struggling with the same problems for years and don't know how to overcome them. I ask friends for help and they offer barely anything. I've Googled for years and tried so many tricks... I would honestly give up at this point, but I get so many ideas that seem so interesting. I wish they actually existed so I could read them myself, but they're merely in my head and refuse to shut up.

When it comes to character creation, I'm pretty good at it. This is probably the only part of writing I'm actually good at. I got backstories, I got motivations, I can usually develop relationships (not talking romance). I tend to struggle with antagonists, I think because I don't usually have one clear villain. It's hard to say, but I think a lot of my stories have "society" as a problem, with a few characters representing this problem, but they aren't a Darth Vader or something. Honestly, they're boring. I can get in many characters heads, I can make the stupid waitress with only one scene interesting, but with villains? Nothing.

However, my biggest issue is with plotting. I can get a basic plot--character needs to go from Point A to Point B. I have motivations and goals. I have a start. Maybe a vague final end game. But nothing for the middle. Maybe vague scenes here and there, but I can never come up with anything else. My plots always have gaping holes, and I can never fill them. Ideally I would like to create structured plot outlines before writing. I know the mantra is to just "shut up and write!" for a newbie, but I never feel like I'm ready for this point. Not when I can only write one or two chapters at best. Or five scenes at best. I've tried for years to find a way to push myself and develop more plot and I have no idea.

As for the "shut up and write" advice, I will concede that for some ideas I could do this, but I held myself back from lack of confidence and excuses. With my latest story idea, I really can't do this. My plot is so disjointed and jumbled. The idea is too complicated to really "free write" in my opinion. (It is a contemporary fantasy story. To be brief, I suppose politics and societal issues are the main focus...which is just too complicated to bullshit.
And I kind of wanted time travel too, welp.
) I guess I have writers block? But I feel like I always do, so eh. I've tried to find stuff of the same genre to inspire me, but modern fantasy seems to be either Dresden / Wizard Detective wannabe crap or vampire/werewolf sex. Nothing interests me. I think some of my ideas for this story are great and workable, but I can't come up with anything. Maybe the smallest character detail to add onto character stuff I already developed. Not something to really get them all together and DO STUFF. And, like every other story, my villain is flimsy as hell and two dimensional and immature hogwash. I could scrap them, but then I have...nothing? Yay.

Do you guys have any advice on getting enough plot to start a story? At least getting enough things organized? Again, I'm fed up at this point and at a total loss. I honestly tried to give up writing early last year, but then tried NaNoWriMo when an idea wouldn't stop screaming at me. Then my plot issues reared their ugly head again. I feel like I never have enough to work with. Would writing prompts honestly help? They don't seem useful to me for plot, when I feel like I got a good handle on my characters. Obviously, I could be a complete fool.

I'm sorry if I missed similar advice through this thread; I did try and go through it. I will check out Writing Excuses when I have the time.

Mike M

Nick N
Hey, first time posting here. Feels a little off topic to ask for some writing advice, but I've been struggling with the same problems for years and don't know how to overcome them. I ask friends for help and they offer barely anything. I've Googled for years and tried so many tricks... I would honestly give up at this point, but I get so many ideas that seem so interesting. I wish they actually existed so I could read them myself, but they're merely in my head and refuse to shut up.

When it comes to character creation, I'm pretty good at it. This is probably the only part of writing I'm actually good at. I got backstories, I got motivations, I can usually develop relationships (not talking romance). I tend to struggle with antagonists, I think because I don't usually have one clear villain. It's hard to say, but I think a lot of my stories have "society" as a problem, with a few characters representing this problem, but they aren't a Darth Vader or something. Honestly, they're boring. I can get in many characters heads, I can make the stupid waitress with only one scene interesting, but with villains? Nothing.

However, my biggest issue is with plotting. I can get a basic plot--character needs to go from Point A to Point B. I have motivations and goals. I have a start. Maybe a vague final end game. But nothing for the middle. Maybe vague scenes here and there, but I can never come up with anything else. My plots always have gaping holes, and I can never fill them. Ideally I would like to create structured plot outlines before writing. I know the mantra is to just "shut up and write!" for a newbie, but I never feel like I'm ready for this point. Not when I can only write one or two chapters at best. Or five scenes at best. I've tried for years to find a way to push myself and develop more plot and I have no idea.

As for the "shut up and write" advice, I will concede that for some ideas I could do this, but I held myself back from lack of confidence and excuses. With my latest story idea, I really can't do this. My plot is so disjointed and jumbled. The idea is too complicated to really "free write" in my opinion. (It is a contemporary fantasy story. To be brief, I suppose politics and societal issues are the main focus...which is just too complicated to bullshit.
) I guess I have writers block? But I feel like I always do, so eh. I've tried to find stuff of the same genre to inspire me, but modern fantasy seems to be either Dresden / Wizard Detective wannabe crap or vampire/werewolf sex. Nothing interests me. I think some of my ideas for this story are great and workable, but I can't come up with anything. Maybe the smallest character detail to add onto character stuff I already developed. Not something to really get them all together and DO STUFF. And, like every other story, my villain is flimsy as hell and two dimensional and immature hogwash. I could scrap them, but then I have...nothing? Yay.

Do you guys have any advice on getting enough plot to start a story? At least getting enough things organized? Again, I'm fed up at this point and at a total loss. I honestly tried to give up writing early last year, but then tried NaNoWriMo when an idea wouldn't stop screaming at me. Then my plot issues reared their ugly head again. I feel like I never have enough to work with. Would writing prompts honestly help? They don't seem useful to me for plot, when I feel like I got a good handle on my characters. Obviously, I could be a complete fool.

I'm sorry if I missed similar advice through this thread; I did try and go through it. I will check out Writing Excuses when I have the time.

I would recommend hitting up The Journeyman Writer episode on anchor scenes.

http://storywonk.com/the-journeyman-writer-26-anchor-scenes/

If you can define and flesh out those points, it might make it easier to connect the dots.

Ashes

Banned
Again, I'm fed up at this point and at a total loss. I honestly tried to give up writing early last year, but then tried NaNoWriMo when an idea wouldn't stop screaming at me. Then my plot issues reared their ugly head again. I feel like I never have enough to work with. Would writing prompts honestly help? They don't seem useful to me for plot, when I feel like I got a good handle on my characters. Obviously, I could be a complete fool.

First thing I'd do is stop worrying.
And read a wider spread of books. :p

Tomita

I would recommend hitting up The Journeyman Writer episode on anchor scenes.

http://storywonk.com/the-journeyman-writer-26-anchor-scenes/

If you can define and flesh out those points, it might make it easier to connect the dots.

Sounds interesting. I will look at this tomorrow.

First thing I'd do is stop worrying.
And read a wider spread of books. :p

I am honest to god trying but I can't find anything that interests me! Maybe I am just being too picky? Ugh I really have been trying to look at recommended reading lists. lol right now I'm rereading The Shadow of the Wind but I really need some new blood. Ah well, constant vigilance and all that. :V

Thanks for the responces :D

So I'm going to throw something out there that might sound a little crazy but here goes.

Maybe a novel isn't the right medium. Or at least maybe it shouldn't be the target result. If you can build interesting characters, maybe just how interesting they are IS the story. "A Day in the Life" or "Glimpses" or "Living in Ferelden (or wherever)." Some sort of character study or vignettes of different people living in the same city or the same fantasy world. Hell, call it "what your NPCs are doing while you save their world."

DD

1st: get away from your computer/internet;
2nd: grab a notebook (the one made of paper);
3st: drink water;
4th: grab a pen or a pencil;
5th: make a list of chapters and what happens in which one, like: chapter 1 - X meets Y and they talk about Z.
6th: do it until you have something, then start writing on your computer with you guidelines.

If villains are a problem, it might be a good idea to try some shorter fiction that focuses on bad people. Ideally, villains should be just as interesting, if not more so, than anyone else. To have a reason to want to control/ruin the world is pretty important, in my opinion.

I've found that branching my reading habits into horror has really helped give me some good ideas for things like this. Even if there's a lot of chaos/paranormal to be found there, you can still draw enough elements in. Plus, as someone else said, expanding your reading habits will help in all kinds of ways.

Man, to me, that's the ideal amount of info before going in. I love the "writing in the moment" style and just letting shit happen and characters do what characters do. I can see how that wouldn't work so well for a big, multicharacter political piece of fantasy though. Dunno how George RailRoad Martin does it.

When you stop after a few chapters or sequences in, can you pinpoint why? It seems hard to believe that after a few chapters, you'd already have major plot holes. Is there something else that causes you to lose interest or get too frustrated to continue?

My mantra for novel writing thus far has been to "set a daily page goal" and then just hit that. Was four pages with my first book and it's three with my current one, which is harder to write.

For my current book, I'm not outlining anything, but I am planning one or two steps ahead. Didn't do that at all for the first book. It's interesting, and I certainly have more control while still allowing for something spontaneous to happen. might be something worth trying. I don't think you need a complete outline, but maybe the first two sequences, and as you write them, start thinking about three and four. "Tonight I want to get my characters to X scene" kind of thing.

My other piece of advice is to set aside your big, complex plot and find a smaller one as a "practice" piece. I have this huge idea for a fantasy series that I'd love to do, but I in no way could properly execute it with my current skill level. So it's other books first.

Tomita

Maybe a novel isn't the right medium. Or at least maybe it shouldn't be the target result. If you can build interesting characters, maybe just how interesting they are IS the story. "A Day in the Life" or "Glimpses" or "Living in Ferelden (or wherever)." Some sort of character study or vignettes of different people living in the same city or the same fantasy world. Hell, call it "what your NPCs are doing while you save their world."

I suppose I could consider not trying to join everything together and trying this. At least for the purposes of some writing exercises. Feels like that would work well for this particular story idea, anyway.

1st: get away from your computer/internet;
2nd: grab a notebook (the one made of paper);
3st: drink water;
4th: grab a pen or a pencil;
5th: make a list of chapters and what happens in which one, like: chapter 1 - X meets Y and they talk about Z.
6th: do it until you have something, then start writing on your computer with you guidelines.

I have literally done this before, multiple times, and I cannot come up with chapter-by-chapter stuff. I always get stuck. Usually I got a decent set up, and maybe...five big scenes I want to do?
If I'm lucky.
But I have all these holes in between, and something honestly needs to happen here (it wouldn't make sense to just skip to the next big scene; the character doesn't have enough development/reason to) but I have no ideas. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is the failures I have with my villains, but obviously there's more to it.

If villains are a problem, it might be a good idea to try some shorter fiction that focuses on bad people. Ideally, villains should be just as interesting, if not more so, than anyone else. To have a reason to want to control/ruin the world is pretty important, in my opinion.

I 100% strongly agree with this sentiment; not quoting the rest for size, but I'll address it after this. My villains are such caricatures that I don't even have enough for writing exercises, is my problem. ): But maybe I could sit down and come up with short stuff that's ONLY about antagonists. I am currently trying to seek fiction with "complex people that happen to do bad things" cause that's definitely what I'm leaning towards lately. Never considered a "short focus" before though.

Regarding why I have plotting issues, like, I don't know? Or I wouldn't have the same problem for so long? Hahah. All I can think of is, sometimes, if I run into a dead end, I will overthink my way out of it to the point where everything gets way too convoluted and stupid. At that point I try to walk away and come back to the idea at a different time with a fresh mind, but I can't ever overcome the road block. Every story idea has their own unique road block and I never know what to do with it, no matter how much time passes. Like, "Oh I really want this to happen, but how can it happen? What's a way to do it that makes sense, that isn't hand wavy?" or "Character needs to go from A to C. So what the hell is B?" (or sometimes I need help with "C".) I have a few ideas that could definitely be short stories (though it's true I lean more towards complicated novel ideas), but it's like their simplicity works against them. The ideas are even more vague, and I can't seem to force anything out. One idea is basically just, "Boy tries to find missing mom. Stuff happens. He finds missing mom. Story involves aliens." I only have a set up. My other "short story" ideas are basically just characters and a mood, not even a plot.

If I knew what to do with the simpler stories, I would love to work on them. I know working on a complex idea as a start isn't ideal, but it's what 75% of my ideas end up as, and it's also what my current story idea seems to want to be.

Still haven't checked out that Anchor Scene thing but I definitely will later today. I could maybe separate some characters from the "main plot" and write random crap with them; maybe that can churn some brain juices. I continually struggle to find new books to read, and it's something I'm always working on. I know I should be well read, but I just fail to find stuff that grabs me that's NEW (to me). I watch a lot of entertainment and can find comics to read, but I know that's not enough. Money's a problem sometimes so I'm stuck using the library. I'll try and think of some short stuff only about "villains" as well. These are some swell ideas and I'm really grateful, thank you guys <3

Hubba Hubba Challenge-wise, things still sort of keep going. I've had steady borrows for the last two weeks, so I might just keep with it a bit more. Certainly provides an entertaining break on some days. ^_^

So what's the going rate on these bundles for the Hubba Hubba Challenge? I have three shorts, each of them in the 4.5k+ range. Each of the three is $2.99.

I'm bundling all three of them into one book. Simple cut and paste. Charge $4.99? And how does one make it appear that the bundling is saving a reader money (i.e., if they bought each of the individual books it would cost $9 but it's basically 50% off at $4.99).

I think a good spread would be $3.99 for bundles of 2 and $4.99 for the bundle of 3. Cosmic might have more input on this since he's bundled a bunch in various combos. Seems pretty fair to me, though.

Overall it makes my sells from the hubba bubba challenge sting less. But sucks because this really damages shorts selling and what not. In fact shorts overall will sell about the same but the author will earn less for them.

This also makes me question things like comics and graphic novels. Mostly because they are still classified under books in kindle most of the time.

Yeah... I really don't like the sound of this for shorts in general. -_-

I think a good spread would be $3.99 for bundles of 2 and $4.99 for the bundle of 3. Cosmic might have more input on this since he's bundled a bunch in various combos. Seems pretty fair to me, though.

Yeah, $3.99 for 2, $4.99 for 3. Anything after that, I'd say a raise of 0.50-0.99. Don't know how well that will work out as the book sirap recommended said to not go above $4.99, but he also pointed to an online acquaintance that's selling a bundle for $7.99 and doing EXTREMELY well with it.

Of course might not be the best idea to take my advice. Of the 4 bundles I have out now, 2 of them haven't gotten a single borrow. Would be better to ask someone more successful.

That being said, I don't see as many bundles of 2 compared to bundles of 3 and more from my searches. I doubt it's a major turn-off or anything since as the book said, "this is erotica, no one cares", but you never know if it's hurting overall.

Delio

I've fallen way behind on the Hubba challenge sadly. I need to get back into it but my brain has been firing all engines on Seasonals stuff.

eh, I think we can all agree that getting rewarded for complete incompetence with millions of dollars is not that bad a deal with Mephistopheles. It's not what you wanted exactly, but it's hard to argue with that kind of money. (Grey)

I suppose you just have to accept whatever level you have now, and practise more to increase your control of the craft. And I'm saying more to myself than 'you', but oh well. I want mah delusions of grandeur! I wanna, I wanna, I wanna!

FlowersisBritish

eh, I think we can all agree that getting rewarded for complete incompetence with millions of dollars is not that bad a deal with Mephistopheles. It's not what you wanted exactly, but it's hard to argue with that kind of money. (Grey)

I suppose you just have to accept whatever level you have now, and practise more to increase your control of the craft. And I'm saying more to myself than 'you', but oh well. I want mah delusions of grandeur! I wanna, I wanna, I wanna!

#mycockconcurs

Ashes

Banned
Drunk-at-Bar.jpg

Cheer up mike. What can ye do if you can't laugh at your miseries>

I am with a burning envy that leaves naught but hatred and ashes for your success, but congrats!

There I think I fixed it.

One of these days, I'm going to go into a book shop, and ask for a book by Mike M. & I'll feel I'll have contributed in part to that success. :)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Quick question, any one who does book covers here? It actually is just a logo, but I wanted it to look cool. Its also not really a book, but to be used as the main logo image for a web serial I already talked before. I have been slowly working on it as a side project, already bought a cheap domain and used the hosting I use for my software development company, so I am ready to go at any point next week, but I wanted a nice logo :p

Tomita

Tomita- I've got a few thoughts on this, especially since I've struggled with similar problems. I've had this difficulty for a long time, where I know the beginning of my story, and I know the end of my story, but I don't necessarily know what happens in the middle. Or maybe I know one or two things from the middle, but have no idea what comes between them. It's a problem I still haven't fully resolved, but there are things you can try.

The Jim Butcher and seven point structure advice seem really helpful. And man, I tried Snowflake once but it didn't work but it was just once; really meant to try that again and be more serious about it. Your post has some great stuff, so thanks man, really :D

Quick question, any one who does book covers here? It actually is just a logo, but I wanted it to look cool. Its also not really a book, but to be used as the main logo image for a web serial I already talked before. I have been slowly working on it as a side project, already bought a cheap domain and used the hosting I use for my software development company, so I am ready to go at any point next week, but I wanted a nice logo :p

I do book covers and logos, and my work's up at www.phillipgessert.com. Feel free to contact me if my style suits you and I seem like someone you'd like to work with.

aidan

Sooooo... my short story collection is on sale for $0.99 this week.

I'm going to drop Kindle Unlimited after this first term expires, so I wanted to see how much of an impact a sale on the book would have. So far, a definite uptick in sales, but nothing that's blowing my socks off.

I do book covers and logos, and my work's up at www.phillipgessert.com. Feel free to contact me if my style suits you and I seem like someone you'd like to work with.

There's some really nice stuff there!

Hit the 100-page mark on my second book today. Feeling pretty good, kinda. Fucking mess that this book is going to be.

I'm gonna need one big ol hammer when it comes to editing this. I'll hit the manuscript, then I'll hit myself over the head with it.

edit:

I'm actually worried it's getting a bit too big. I got Norbert and his adventures in the spooky library at night, Norbert x Ann from school, the spooky door not to be opened, now a bunch of talking spiders and a possible headache there, and I still haven't gotten to the librarian or the other person who owns the damn castle where the spooky library exists. Plus, his family, where his parents are on the verge of divorce.

The real problem is only five or so days have passed. I don't know how long this should be timewise though. Got magic learning/testing being a big focus, but when one of your spells is "talk to spiders"... Well, you gotta have some interesting conversations there! The big spooky library spiders are about to ask him to do something though, and that could be a turning point. Would destroy the few things I have planned already, but maybe that's for the better.

Might turn it into a three act thing and do a time skip in the next fifteen or so pages. Dunno if that's cheating or not though.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Hit the 100-page mark on my second book today. Feeling pretty good, kinda. Fucking mess that this book is going to be.

I'm gonna need one big ol hammer when it comes to editing this. I'll hit the manuscript, then I'll hit myself over the head with it.

edit:

I'm actually worried it's getting a bit too big. I got Norbert and his adventures in the spooky library at night, Norbert x Ann from school, the spooky door not to be opened, now a bunch of talking spiders and a possible headache there, and I still haven't gotten to the librarian or the other person who owns the damn castle where the spooky library exists. Plus, his family, where his parents are on the verge of divorce.

The real problem is only five or so days have passed. I don't know how long this should be timewise though. Got magic learning/testing being a big focus, but when one of your spells is "talk to spiders"... Well, you gotta have some interesting conversations there! The big spooky library spiders are about to ask him to do something though, and that could be a turning point. Would destroy the few things I have planned already, but maybe that's for the better.

Might turn it into a three act thing and do a time skip in the next fifteen or so pages. Dunno if that's cheating or not though.

I'm constantly worried about the timeline and travel of my characters, seeing if it makes sense at all and trying to keep track. I'm now in the portion of my second book where they're world exploring and I always feel like I write super lean, to the point, and the timeline of travel + events of other characters in the world may not line up at all. Just gotta get it all out I guess and not worry about it, see where it sits as a finished whole. It's hard to see the timeline through the trees.

Another rejection, but at least it was pretty positive. Onwards. Almost done with this second database though; not sure what comes next.

I'm constantly worried about the timeline and travel of my characters, seeing if it makes sense at all and trying to keep track. I'm now in the portion of my second book where they're world exploring and I always feel like I write super lean, to the point, and the timeline of travel + events of other characters in the world may not line up at all. Just gotta get it all out I guess and not worry about it, see where it sits as a finished whole. It's hard to see the timeline through the trees.
Aye, that's good advice. Story is as long as it needs to be, and that goes for both page space and in world time.

Spent most of the day thinking about this, and I"ll have to do a bit of rewriting, but I can shift things away from teh sticky directions this thing is currently heading. Damn talking spiders.

Hyams

I've put together a one sentence summary of a YA sci-fi novel I'm thinking of writing. Would appreciate some (preferably brutally honest) opinions on it before I take it any further.

"A teenager battling social anxiety has her only friend snatched away by the evil lurking within the post-apocalyptic colony they have mysteriously woken up in, and must now overcome her disorder to work with strangers if she is to save her friend."

Reckon it has any legs, or shall I cast around for another story?

Woorloog

Banned
I've put together a one sentence summary of a YA sci-fi novel I'm thinking of writing. Would appreciate some (preferably brutally honest) opinions on it before I take it any further.

"A teenager battling social anxiety has her only friend snatched away by the evil lurking within the post-apocalyptic colony they have mysteriously woken up in, and must now overcome her disorder to work with strangers if she is to save her friend."

Aside from the social anxiety part, sounds good. Though if that is taken out, it does perhaps lose a core thing.
*Shrug* Maybe it works. I don't quite feel it because i have no experience with social anxiety (i'm introvert and a bit shy but not socially anxious, nor do i know anyone who is). Guess it is something many could identify with though.

Something to note: i reckon most socially anxious people can work with someone (parents, close friends, relatives, etc.), so you need to have reason why the protagonist can't get help via intermediaries.

No idea what's the evil you're thinking off but the way you phrase the concept, it probably would suit a (scifi) horror story.

Overall i do like the idea.

(I still don't get what differentiates YA from non-YA fiction though. The age of protagonist or what?)

As long as you don't write it in first-person present, I think you're good.

If anyone needs a reader, feel free to PM me.

I am a teacher, so I have some free time over the summer, plus I feel like reading other people's work will help motivate me to write more myself.

(I teach History and minored in creative writing.)

Delio

If anyone needs a reader, feel free to PM me.

I am a teacher, so I have some free time over the summer, plus I feel like reading other peoples work will help motivate me to write more myself.

(I teach History and minored in creative writing.)

I'll remember this :)

Top Bottom