• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

If anyone needs a reader, feel free to PM me.

I am a teacher, so I have some free time over the summer, plus I feel like reading other people's work will help motivate me to write more myself.

(I teach History and minored in creative writing.)

How do you feel about mindscrew psychological thrillers? Decent chance I'll send you a PM at some point if you're into those.

I hit the hundred page mark and then spent the next like three days rewriting pages 94-100 because holy crap the story took a strange turn into "I can't handle this narratively or philosophically" territory. Got it back on track, but going is still as slow as ever.

Fuck me. If this is what writer's block is like, then I don't god damned like it!

Pretty soon I have to really change shit up though. Gonna give my character a few spells to protect him and then open up the castle a bit more. Should hopefully make writing easier. I figure I'll divide this into three parts, and I'm about to hit part two.

Soulfire

Fuck me. If this is what writer's block is like, then I don't god damned like it!

Pretty soon I have to really change shit up though. Gonna give my character a few spells to protect him and then open up the castle a bit more. Should hopefully make writing easier. I figure I'll divide this into three parts, and I'm about to hit part two.

Normally when I have writers block it's my brain telling me I've missed something. I write linear from start to finish, so if I think back on what I've written I can usually fix what's wrong and then the words come back. Not always, but most of the time.

I just finished writing the third book in my series. Letting it sit for a while then I will edit. I'm going to start working on a new series so that I'm still writing. Sticking with Sci-Fi romance, but I'll be working with new aliens and on Earth so that should shake things up a bit. Same universe though so the old aliens might make an appearance, we'll see what happens.

Normally when I have writers block it's my brain telling me I've missed something. I write linear from start to finish, so if I think back on what I've written I can usually fix what's wrong and then the words come back. Not always, but most of the time.
Dunno what's going on. Been like this since I started, really. just painfully slow going, or so it feels like.

I've actually only been working on this for 30 days on the dot. So by that timeline, I'm making alright headway :p

Dunno what's going on. Been like this since I started, really. just painfully slow going, or so it feels like.

I've actually only been working on this for 30 days on the dot. So by that timeline, I'm making alright headway :p

Maybe try skipping forward in time to the next main event (or just before it?)?

If it is difficult or boring to write, it may not be worth your time or the readers.

Granted, I mainly write short fiction and I freely jump around these little snapshots of meaning, so I'm a bit used to this option.

Maybe try skipping forward in time to the next main event (or just before it?)?

If it is difficult or boring to write, it may not be worth your time or the readers.

Granted, I mainly write short fiction and I freely jump around these little snapshots of meaning, so I'm a bit used to this option.
You've know idea how much I think about that >.<

DD

Maybe this will help you feel better:

quote-writing-is-hard-work-a-clear-sentence-is-no-accident-very-few-sentences-come-out-right-william-zinsser-59-97-49.jpg

Maybe this will help you feel better:

You are a good person and I now feel better :3

I think my first novel was a fucking fluke. It had no right to be so easy or fun to write. I'm overjoyed that my first experience at giant fiction was...well, nothing but joy, because if it hadn't been, I might not have tried again. I also might have given up.

Time to feel like a real writer, I guess.

Though I can make more excuses if I want to. I've never written a character like this, I've never written a story that's protagonist vs the self, I've never written a big horror story, I've never written a big story with any kind of forethought, etc. So yeah.

I just hope it isn't shit, honestly :[

Also, I think I post too much in this thread.

Much of the "is it shit?" question gets answered with time. Put it to paper and read it again later. I've read plenty of my stories that I didn’t like in the moment that surprised me later. Not to mention that revision goes a long way. The last two pieces I've written were a struggle and I revised them over the course of months. Through all that, they are two of my favorite pieces (though one still needs a lot of work).

My advice about "difficult or boring" mostly applies when you are either forcing a segment to go on too long, or when a segment isn't essential in some way.

If you're doubting yourself, finding a second reader can be extremely helpful. Sometimes a confidence boost is the thing you actually need. Sometimes they'll point out the thing you're missing and that triggers the next burst of writing.

Honestly, just keep writing is the best advice. Even if you only get 300 words in a day. It is easier to salvage flawed writing that exists, to delete things that don't work, than to publish a nonexistent page lol.

360pages

The new System is rough even for someone writing a full length novel. I mean, I don't know anyone who reads a whole novel in a single setting. Though it has pushed me towards finding a legit publisher for my novel once I'm finished with it, so that's good.

Yeah, new system ain't looking good. Already tweeted on my pen name that I'll likely be taking my books out of Kindle Unlimited soonish. Some people are estimating payouts of half a cent per page. Definitely doesn't make sense to keep shorts in there. It sucks too because for the last week and a half, I've been getting 2 borrows per day. Not much, but passive income is nice even if it is just pocket change.

Anyway, put my 6th short out yesterday, bringing the total amount of release to 11 with all the bundles.

Made $30 on sales for June and possibly around 50 or so from borrows. Sucks that I make more on the latter just as the new system goes into effect :(

I have not read them a lot, but I am willing to give one a shot!

K, may PM you later and/or in a few days.

360pages

I think the people who like the new system are really overestimating how much people read at one time and what not. Even a full length 400 word novel would only get about 2$. Which is more than before.

Soulfire

Yeah, new system ain't looking good. Already tweeted on my pen name that I'll likely be taking my books out of Kindle Unlimited soonish. Some people are estimating payouts of half a cent per page. Definitely doesn't make sense to keep shorts in there. It sucks too because for the last week and a half, I've been getting 2 borrows per day. Not much, but passive income is nice even if it is just pocket change.

The email Amazon sent out yesterday said the global fund was $11m and that last month KU readers read 1.9b pages if they don't add more money to the fund, which they do often, it would mean we'd get $.0058 per page roughly. Kind of depressing.
The way the graph is we don't have anyway of knowing when people have stopped reading our books or how many people are reading, if they gave us more info that would be nice, but we're even more in the dark now.
Trying to stay positive, but also thinking of branching out. Kobo, Nook, Google Plus, and iBooks don't make as much reach as Kindle but who knows maybe my books will blow up over there. I've read people that have better success on other platforms, it's not the norm but it does happen. Plus, all my books wouldn't be in the Amazon basket.

LegendX48

Don't think I've ever posted here since it seems this is more about writing books (at least that's how it looks to me) but I have a question. How do you guys handle plot holes when the thing that created said hole is necessary to drive the plot forward?

Beyond that, talking with a friend yesterday made me realize that there's a metric ton of background details that I never even thought of or addressed and now I'm sort of in a panic over what I previously thought was my best draft so far >.>

Karu

Took a pause from both reading and writing for a few month, because i'm stupid. But my batteries are back on and it feels good to be back. Reading up on Murakami's work (Afterdark, After the Quake and now The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles), started another long form story and currently working on a short story.

Putting on headphones, music blasting and typing away is too good to be true (t least in the moment, he)

And continuing to write the long form stuff in my mother tongue and using the short stories for experimenting with my englisch "skills". Another great way to change it up day-to-day!

Don't think I've ever posted here since it seems this is more about writing books (at least that's how it looks to me) but I have a question. How do you guys handle plot holes when the thing that created said hole is necessary to drive the plot forward?

Beyond that, talking with a friend yesterday made me realize that there's a metric ton of background details that I never even thought of or addressed and now I'm sort of in a panic over what I previously thought was my best draft so far >.>

Write first, fix later. Chances are the plot hole will end up making perfect sense... Or may get drowned out be even stranger stuff.

Either way you will not know until the end and it'll be easy to make some shit up to get around it.

Anyway, put my 6th short out yesterday, bringing the total amount of release to 11 with all the bundles.

Made $30 on sales for June and possibly around 50 or so from borrows. Sucks that I make more on the latter just as the new system goes into effect :(

Same boat. I was having regular activity, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to keep it in there. We'll see. Still mulling over it.

I can honestly say the changes have had no impact on me.

:(

NaNoWriMo, hooooooooooooo!

Preparing my outline for this year's Nano.

Ditto. I'm all in. \[-_-]/

360pages

Damn it, found a great bunch of public doman pictures, but still too scared to use them. It is so weird since I'm hazy on the laws for them, I might as well keep using canvus.

Yay! They finally announced it today! My book's going to print AND I've been picked up again to write the sequel! I'm so happy with the new cover... ;_;

EDIT to Add: I'm counting on you again for the sequel, NaNoWriMo!

Damn, I'm legit happy for you!

Thanks, man. I was over the moon when they said it had passed the point where they could justify a print version, but to be pre-set for a sequel was something I didn't expect or hope for. Really, really happy.

Congrats! That's wonderful news!

Cheers, yo. It's been a long process, but it's all starting to come together. Guess slacking off this NaNoWriMo isn't an option. :D

itshappening.gif

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Yay! They finally announced it today! My book's going to print AND I've been picked up again to write the sequel! I'm so happy with the new cover... ;_;

Whoo hoo!

Whoo hoo!

:D I can't wait to hold it in my hands and drop it in the bath like I do with half my other books.

Did I read this on inception? Not sure why I'm asking you, lol. But it feels kinda familiar. That's all.

On "inception"? Is that a site or thread or something? First time I've posted it except for my NaNoWriMo, hoooooo stuff above.

Congrats, looks awesome. Captured the look on her face perfectly.

Thanks! Irene absolutely nailed it. That "fuck you/for fuck's sake" face of Cailen's is pure gold. You know you're quoted on the pre-order page too, T. :)

Delio

Omg i LOVE the art. Also congrats and I hope for HUGE success for you!

Congrats dude!

Do you have a purchase link? I always make a point of buying gaffers work.

Just wanted to say thanks again to GAF for humoring my first poor attempt, and everyone's who's supported it. I've had so many buys from people here (my publisher was like, "What's this weird forum place we keep getting hits from?"), reviews, tweets, advice, and motivational pushes. It's meant a lot to me, and basically made it all happen, so cheers. Now I get to write more dumb adventures in alcohol and ghosts and that makes me very happy.

c8QtJIc.jpg

Hooray! Congrats!

<3

The power of your NaNoWriMo thread is mighty, Cyan. So very mighty.

\[-_-]/
<3

Lol.

Nice.

That's awesome!

Thanks! Feels like another milestone. If I can just make a strong showing for the print version and the sequel, maybe it will be possible to start doing this for a living.

Congrats! I'm super jelly of you and your success! But holy shit congrats!

Cheers! Not sure how successful I can consider it yet if I'm not able to help keep the magazine running another year (they're holding a Kickstarter right now), but the potential is there! :D And it all started in Gaf's NaNoWriMo thread, so anyone can do it. A little luck, a little GAF help (more like tons), and a lot of alcohol goes a long way. You're definitely joining this year, right? :D

Delio

Thanks, D! Irene continues to knock it out of the park and now Scotty's stuff is in there too. :D Hoping the physical copy will sell well for them. I want to prove that they made the right choice investing in me.

I'm totally grabbing a physical copy. I want it on my desk O.O.

H. Pro, I am so happy for you. Seriously, that cover kicks ass, as does the book (so the second one will too) One of these days I'm going to be 'Oh yeah, that author? I am TOTALLY her secret cousin. Yep.'

And then people will want to touch me or something.

Secret cousin thing is an inside joke. Maybe.

Haha. Thanks, cuz. Did you notice the subway sign in the upper right-hand corner...? ;)

I'm totally grabbing a physical copy. I want it on my desk O.O.

<3 <3 <3 Thanks, D! It's going to look glorious on your desk. Glorious, I say! I need something seasonally appropriate for my desk too now...

I know your work is great... but god damn that quote was amazing.

Makes the whole thing worth while.

:D Who can resist "exsanguination"?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just finished the final draft of my first book! It ended up a little over 100k words (it's in Brazilian Portuguese).

Holy crap, I almost cried when I was done, haha. I hadn't written the epilogue before today, I could feel my heart swelling when I settled on the final sentences and typed them. I didn't think I would feel like that, but it really was like saying goodbye to people that lived in my head for around three years.

Sooo much revising... I basically had to rewrite this thing 4 times (2 of those from scratch), but, minor corrections and alterations aside, this is it. I'll see how things develop from here before I talk about it anymore, but I'm currently getting it in the hands of people for feedback. I'm excited. :)

To echo H.Pro, thanks to GAF for being there for me. Most of my sales appear to be from GAFfers.

And that reminds me, for those who haven't picked it up, Ahvarra is just $1 for Kindle this week (celebrating my birthday).

Lots of new milestones in this thread lately. Congrats to you all. You're all inspirational to me.

YES!

Oh my god, I'm so happy for you H.Pro :D
You earned it, I'll be there day one for the sequel.

Don't forget my PM! You promised!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Cheers! Not sure how successful I can consider it yet if I'm not able to help keep the magazine running another year (they're holding a Kickstarter right now), but the potential is there! :D And it all started in Gaf's NaNoWriMo thread, so anyone can do it. A little luck, a little GAF help (more like tons), and a lot of alcohol goes a long way. You're definitely joining this year, right? :D

I try to do Nanowrimo every year(haven't won yet though). I have an idea for it that I might do. It' s fantasy novel(and I don't usually do fantasy) but I have grown to really like the setting and I think it actually might be a really great book. My big problem is one of forward thinking. I kind of want to do a saga just to visit all the cool places I made, but I have no idea where it would even go. I might just go with an old roadtrip idea I've had in the back for awhile now and save my big fantasy epic for when I have a better idea of where it should go.

Top Bottom