• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

So I've been stressing over the email I sent to the agent yesterday, wondering if it went to the wrong address. The reply system GMAIL uses is kind of...well, it's cool but not always clear where things are going when people with the same name from the same company start using more than one email address.

Hope it ain't a social faux paw to send it again with a, "Sorry, I think the last email went to the wrong place because gmail is silly."

Definitely going to check this out. Anyone else have any writing books they loved?

Stephen King's On Writing has been mentioned a few times in this thread, but ti's one I highly recommend, though I enjoyed it more as a biography of King than anything else.

Do companies place a lot of value on people with Master's degrees? I was thinking about going back to school to get my master's in Creative Writing, but I'm unsure if it's just as useless as my bachelor's.

So it might be a little early to ask right now since I haven't received some "no, fuck offs" from a few places yet, but I've now exhausted two databases of agents: Writers Market and Agent Query. Second one proved a bit better while also being free to use, so there's that.

I've sent out something like 50 query letters, perhaps a little more but I can only track my email sentbox. Of those, I got two bites, one for a full and one for a partial. I haven't heard back from either yet, but I still have time before I begin to stress out.

I guess...should I seek out another database to go through? If so, do you guys have any you'd recommend that aren't the above two listed? I'm cool with paying for em, though I'll be running the risk in serious overlap now. Agent Query and Writers Market certainly shared some names.

Ashes

Banned
Do companies place a lot of value on people with Master's degrees? I was thinking about going back to school to get my master's in Creative Writing, but I'm unsure if it's just as useless as my bachelor's.

I'm guessing you already know the pros and cons.
Can't hurt your chances...

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Ah man, you know whats a bummer? Constantly getting rejections for one of your best stories :/ Like, I've been told the ending has brought people to tears, and I can't even get a personal rejection.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Ah man, you know whats a bummer? Constantly getting rejections for one of your best stories :/ Like, I've been told the ending has brought people to tears, and I can't even get a personal rejection.

Sound to me like slush readers/editors might not be reaching the end of the story? Maybe rethink the beginning of the story, dropping more hooks for readers.

(Having not read the story, it's tough to say how accurate this is, though.)

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Sound to me like slush readers/editors might not be reaching the end of the story? Maybe rethink the beginning of the story, dropping more hooks for readers.

(Having not read the story, it's tough to say how accurate this is, though.)

It's a humor piece, and I've been told it starts off pretty strong and continues that way though out. I don't know. I don't think it lacks early hooks, yet I also don't know much about how editors are reacting to it. Oh well, back to the submission grinder.

Incidentally I super hate writing cover letters. They are some of my least favorite things in the world

Dresden

Yeah. Getting it too long can only hurt you, just present your work and move out of the way. Template I use, which I took off a blog some years ago:

Dear (insert name of the editor, or if multiple editors, just "editors"),

I am submitting the story “_____” for your consideration. It is approximately # words long. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

(CHARNAME)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Here's mine:

Dear [Editor(s) name],

Please accept my x,xxx word story, "[story name here]," for submission to [magazine name here].

[A couple of bullshit lines about winning a hugo and publishing my first book in May.]

Thank you for your consideration.

Cheers,

~Aidan

Adjust per the individual guideline requests. Easy peasy.

Dresden

aidan might have a Hugo, but he'll never have my delicious cup of water. Then I'll drink it and it'll be all gone but that's ok.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's amazing how little by little my characters are going from being a nameless face to a fully fleshed out characters.

This is the real reason why I love writing. <(^_^)>

Scrivener here, though the novel I'm writing now is the first time I'm using it. Other than that, Word.

I used to use ClarisWorks and trust me, pulling old stuff off of disk and getting it into Word is a hassle.

Soulfire

I use Word. I've tried to use Scrivener but always wind up back at Word. I did use Scrivener recently to create a Universe Bible

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why not use Google Docs. Free and accessible anywhere?

Pen and paper.

Your move, modern scum.

then Word

Almost all of my stories start with pen and paper. I usually beat out the first 2 or 3 pages, sleep, and transition everything into Word or Google Docs depending on where I am. For some reason, I find spitting out opening lines more rewarding when they take up physical space no matter how many times I cross them out and start again. Once I get going though, and I get a voice going, I prefer editing in Word so my piece feels cohesive instead of having all these criss-crossed lines in the middle of it.

I still have like 20 days left on a Scrivener trial, but since I never attempt novels, a lot of the extra features go unused. I should give it another shot, maybe . . .

edit: side note, outside of my five regular readers, it is surprisingly hard to get any one else to read my work. And only two of my readers aren't familiar with Lit-fic so I keep getting, "I don't think I'm the right person to read this" from them. Ah well.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Got my second book signing of my Derek Agons Slays a Dragon today. Wish me luck guys. I somehow have to teach kids how to draw Derek afterwards lol

Got my second book signing of my Derek Agons Slays a Dragon today. Wish me luck guys. I somehow have to teach kids how to draw Derek afterwards lol

ntPY750.jpg

But you know, replace with Derek.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll go well!

After a month and a half, the agent got back to me with a rejection of, "it's not you, it's me." which is how I broke up with my girlfriend a few years ago.

So that's why she started crying!

Welp, off to drink myself to death.

DD

Phew, finally finished my new short. It's a hard sci-fi story around a boy who wakes in a shack isolated in the middle of a gigantic prairie, knowing nothing about how the heck he ended up there, or where the hell was that place, while retaining all his memories (so, not exactly your typical amnesia cliché :p). It kind of mixes the stuff that The Matrix, Inception and Interstellar deal. Around 9.7k words. Pretty happy 'til now. Latter I'll read it and edit the shit out of it.

Phew, finally finished my new short. It's a hard sci-fi story around a boy who wakes in a shack isolated in the middle of a gigantic prairie, knowing nothing about how the heck he ended up there, or where the hell was that place, while retaining all his memories (so, not exactly your typical amnesia cliché :p). It kind of mixes the stuff that The Matrix, Inception and Interstellar deal. Around 9.7k words. Pretty happy 'til now. Latter I'll read it and edit the shit out of it.

Congrats! Sounds interesting. Maybe a little Maze Runner-ish with the sorta/kinda amnesia thing.

DD

Congrats! Sounds interesting. Maybe a little Maze Runner-ish with the sorta/kinda amnesia thing.

Thanks. But well, not exactly that, 'cuz there's no enemies or much running (the boy decides to stay in the shack for a while, waiting for help). The only weird thing in my story is that there's no insects or ground or flying animals around, and an odd metal sphere that first chases him, and later talks to him (not an alien abduction story either :p). It's a very nerdy theme about simulated universes and this kind of stuff. :)

So I went through two databases and am still at no agents. Second one turned me down.

Should I bother with a third database? Keep looking? Like I said earlier, I went through Writer's Market and Agent Query. Not sure what else is out there.

mu cephei

Zeno agency just opened today for submissions:
zeno agency
We are currently open for submissions in the following categories: horror, crime & thrillers, epic/heroic fantasy and story-driven space opera. We will also consider high-concept speculative fiction that would appeal to non-genre readers.

I'm having some real trouble deciding on an outcome for my current story. I basically have a character who has powers unique to her and an organization kidnaps her.

I was trying to decide on a good reason why they're doing it. I came to four possible reasons:
Her power leads to the item of ambrosia which can turn someone into gods.
Her power is a gateway to the gods.
The organization wants to use her power to save the world from a supernatural threat
The organization wants to use her power to save the world from a natural threat of global proportions.

I really don't like any of these and wanted something that isn't seen as often. I think there could be something for the gateway to the gods, but I'm unsure what someone would do once they got there.

I'm having some real trouble deciding on an outcome for my current story. I basically have a character who has powers unique to her and an organization kidnaps her.

I was trying to decide on a good reason why they're doing it. I came to four possible reasons:
Her power leads to the item of ambrosia which can turn someone into gods.
Her power is a gateway to the gods.
The organization wants to use her power to save the world from a supernatural threat
The organization wants to use her power to save the world from a natural threat of global proportions.

I really don't like any of these and wanted something that isn't seen as often. I think there could be something for the gateway to the gods, but I'm unsure what someone would do once they got there.
Knowing what her powers are might help us help you a bit. I'm always a fan of gods in fiction though, so I guess I'm leaning towards the second option based on what you have.

What they do when they get there depends entirely on the kind of pantheon you choose to create.

Soulfire

In my story the humans in the world are born with a power based on their Greek zodiac sign. The said character can copy any of these 12 but can only hold one at a time. I'm currently deciding if she should get the monthly boosts as well, but I think that might make her op.
That sounds really interesting. Is the organization that kidnapped her good or evil? They could be out for good old world domination if they're evil, or maybe they're good and fighting an evil organization that is led by someone with powers opposite of hers. Maybe instead of being able to copy powers the evil dude can take away powers.
Sounds like a cool story whichever option you choose

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I am at 82 pages now, 1.5 spaced with 11 point font. I have never, ever taken a creative venture this far.

Would anyone be willing to proofread my draft? I'd love some constructive criticism. A lot of it is rough (as it is a rough draft) but my basic ideas are there.

I have such a solid view of where the story is heading, too. I've never felt so inspired before. Seeing fellow GAFfers published keeps me hopeful, too. Wish me luck, Writing-GAF!

I am at 82 pages now, 1.5 spaced with 11 point font. I have never, ever taken a creative venture this far.

Would anyone be willing to proofread my draft? I'd love some constructive criticism. A lot of it is rough (as it is a rough draft) but my basic ideas are there.

I have such a solid view of where the story is heading, too. I've never felt so inspired before. Seeing fellow GAFfers published keeps me hopeful, too. Wish me luck, Writing-GAF!
Congrats on getting that far!

ElTopo

Banned
I'm officially done with the editing process after a few hiccups. Contacted a publisher who would be ideal. If that doesn't go through then I'm going to self-publish on Amazon by late August.

I'm officially done with the editing process after a few hiccups. Contacted a publisher who would be ideal. If that doesn't go through then I'm going to self-publish on Amazon by late August.
Good luck. Do you have a contact within the publishing house, because they can take a damn long time to respond. Took Penguin like six months to get back to me. They said "no" and then went and published Armada because fuck everything.

Top Bottom