• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

http://www.baen.com/baenfantasyaward2016.asp

Anyone plan on trying? I have a little fantasy story I've been sitting on for awhile, though it doesn't have any dragons or knights or dwarves or anythin' like that in it.

But to be honest, I have no real respect for Baen since every novel I've read from the house has been kinda crap in one way or another. Terrible editing too. Partly my fault I'm sure, but still.

I never read any of those authors they mentioned, but given they don't care what kind of fantasy it is, I might give it a try. I got two others I'm trying to enter too. I'm curious about the "paid at industry-standard rates" for the winning story.

A friend of mine won this a couple of years ago. Fun times. :)
Congrats to your friend!

This gives me a real excuse to go back and edit that story, though I was gonna do draft three of my current book in January. See if I can do this all in a week (gotta get a package for Tor set up for my first novel since I might as well try them)

I do. Quite a lot actually. Do you have anything in mind right now?

Oh sorry, just saw this right now.

Well on Owl-Purdue it says it's like a resume, but different as your education and personal research projects take the forefront. It also says they're about three pages long, but another site says there isn't a page requirement. I'm not entirely sure about format either.

I feel like I should approach it like a resume, but I'm unsure. I also don't have much in terms of work experience and no research projects. I'm writing one for a writing contest and online it says they're usually for teaching jobs of some sort so I find it weird that they're asking for one of these. I'm basically unsure how to tackle this at all.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
That moment a few months ago you thought you were writing your grand work... and then today you just scrap it and start it all over with a similar but different concept at the same time.

Fuck.

EDIT: Mixed the new idea with the old and continue my original concept, this time boosted by all the new ideas. Not bad... not bad :p

I went back to my old plot summary of The Ninth Life to spruce it up a bit. Apparently publishing houses are cool with summaries that actually last a few pages! I'm adding to it, and it's certainly better for it, but damn are some of the twists and turns in my book stupid when put down so quickly.

Like, it all makes sense in context and I build into it properly, but there are a lot of little details or background things that make it work. Stuff I won't really include in this summary.

It's frustrating. I'm also not sure if I should detail some of my backstory chapters, the eight "Reliving the Past" chapters that follow Kit during his previous lives. They're some of hte best parts of the novel I'm told, and they really help establish my protag as a character with motive, but they don't do anything to the overall plot. They just exist to help with pacing, build backstory, build Kit as a character, and let me play around with the voices of some other characters because I got bored D:

DOUBLEPOST

Decided I was going to start 2016 off on a positive note, so I got up early (kinda) and hammered out the last few edits of The Ninth Life's opening three chapters. I then did the same for my more robust plot summary and printed everything.

I have a care package for Tor on Monday.

I then went and submitted it through Baen's online submission form. The whole novel there.

I also sent it to a smaller publishing house (can't remember the name) that published a book I quite liked this year. Figure why not? Though I realized I forgot to alter my cover letter a tad so there's a clause in there that shouldn't be. May have burned that bridge then. That one was more of a shot in the dark anyhow.

I know the multiple submissions thing is usually frowned upon, but two of those three only wanted part of the novel as a taste. Figure it'll work itself out.

I'm feeling way more queasy than happy about all this to be honest, like I probably fucked something up major, but at least it's done. If these all pan out, then this book goes into storage and we'll see what happens with the current project.

Ashes

Banned
new year, new resolution. Similar resolution to last year. Get published. Self-published last year. Now to get published by publisher.

Resolution: finish book 2. Crazy work stress put me off my writing for several months. Changed jobs, feeling re-charged after the holiday break. Need to get back into it.

Soulfire

I just finished writing up a detailed writing schedule that if I somehow manage to stick with will have me self-publishing nine books this year. We'll see, I didn't give myself much room to breath if I stay at my current daily word goal. I'm hoping to increase that though. Of course none of it could matter if I end up getting pregnant and I'm as sick as last time. We'll see what happens!

Timu

New Year Resolution: Actually finish a book on time without needing to resort to random ass words to finish(talking about Nano).

Since I'll be doing a teen comedy, it should be easier and more fun since it focuses on separate storylines that are episodes than just chapters.

Reedirect

Finishing my second novel and publishing the first one are my resolutions. And I actually feel ok with these, they're definitely possible in one way or another.

Gaz_RB

The Snowflake method just saved my novel. I had been thinking about giving it up because writer block had whooped my ass, but decided to take a crack at outlining it with Snowflake and now it seems to have come together quite nicely. Looking forward to start rewriting it tonight.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am actually going to finish a book this year DAMMIT!

Same, though I changed up my plans as Project H needs some major fine tuning, plus I hit a mental barrier. So I am currently working on a new Project code name R and I am hoping that it will help me with my mental block, while I work on project H in the background.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I've been lurking this thread. There's a lot of inspiration at play here; y'all are really helping me push forward with the book I'm writing. Thanks. <3

Don't know what they posted before but there is this old article I remember.

Yeah, I recall that shit being pretty low. So if you're a best selling author it doesn't necessarily mean you're making much money.

I wonder about book sales in general. I really don't hear about new books coming out like I do with music, movies, tv shows, and video games. I only hear about them when they're getting a film adaptation.

I think way more people take part in those hobbies than in reading.

100 pages into draft three of my book. I've been making changes I'm pretty happy with, so I guess the sky isn't falling as much. Reworking one plot thread that kinda sucked in earlier drafts, but that means rewriting half of chapter 8 now, which is driving me bugshit.

It's like a really hard puzzle, because I know where it NEEDS to end so the rest of the book can logically go the way I have it, but I don't quite know how to do that in the best way possible.

After this one though, it should be smoothish sailing. I'm also making some really nice cuts as I go, so it's shrinking every day.

Progress! Kinda. Not getting as much done as I want to :( Goal is to have chapter 8 done before the weekend, but if tonight goes how I think it will, I"ll be doing all that work tomorrow :p

Gaz_RB

Yeah, I recall that shit being pretty low. So if you're best selling author it doesn't mean at all that you're making much money.

I wonder about book sales in general. I really don't hear about new books coming out like I do with music, movies, tv shows, and video games. I only hear about them when they're getting a film adaptation.

Yuuup. And its only downhill from here.

So, I've been reading Chuck Wendig's blog for years, and I like it a lot. Extremely useful stuff whenever he writes about writing. But I've been trying to replace my morning habit of checking gaming-GAF with checking writing blogs so I can get myself into the correct mind frame to write, and just Chuck's blog isn't enough. Some days he posts about other stuff, and lately he's been fairly quiet (holidays).

So, does anyone have any other writer blog suggestions? Podcasts and other writerly sites are good too. I was thinking of going through Writing Excuses, but I fear I'll get sucked into a black hole and emerge an hour and four episodes later with no writing done.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, I've been reading Chuck Wendig's blog for years, and I like it a lot. Extremely useful stuff whenever he writes about writing. But I've been trying to replace my morning habit of checking gaming-GAF with checking writing blogs so I can get myself into the correct mind frame to write, and just Chuck's blog isn't enough. Some days he posts about other stuff, and lately he's been fairly quiet (holidays).

So, does anyone have any other writer blog suggestions? Podcasts and other writerly sites are good too. I was thinking of going through Writing Excuses, but I fear I'll get sucked into a black hole and emerge an hour and four episodes later with no writing done.

Writing excuses is great.

Right now Kate Elliott has a great weekly series about Worldbuilding. There are only two articles so far, but Kate's brilliant and it's sure to be tremendously helpful: http://www.imakeupworlds.com/index.php/category/worldbuilding-wednesday/

Robert Jackson Bennett writes a lot of great writing/author-related blog posts. Here's a recent blog post reflecting on what it means and takes to make a living off of writing: http://www.robertjacksonbennett.com...ters-who-wish-to-make-a-living-off-of-writing

Dresden

Right now Kate Elliott has a great weekly series about Worldbuilding. There are only two articles so far, but Kate's brilliant and it's sure to be tremendously helpful: http://www.imakeupworlds.com/index.php/category/worldbuilding-wednesday/

Robert Jackson Bennett writes a lot of great writing/author-related blog posts. Here's a recent blog post reflecting on what it means and takes to make a living off of writing: http://www.robertjacksonbennett.com...ters-who-wish-to-make-a-living-off-of-writing

man I forgot about City of Blades. omgggg

I finished CITY OF MIRACLES last night, the third and last installment in the DIVINE CITIES series

So I've lately been taken to writing a bit as of late. As a hobby of sorts? Maybe. I don't know. I'll listen to a podcast or have a thought and it'll rattle around inside my head until I write something down. Trouble is, I'm extraordinarily ADD and so I lose focus after little more than a page or two (double spaced :p). This, coupled with a crippling insecurity, puts a damper on some of the big ideas I'd love to explore more fully.

Here's a timeline of an idea by me.

Think of something that amuses me->Have a giggle to myself->Write something down that gets the ball rolling->Get caught up in the minutia of perfecting things like grammar and punctuation->Realize the original thought was stupid and I'm stupid->Sink into a mild depression.

I had a thought about a sort of modern Ignatius Reilly type character, working at Wal-Mart. Various flashes of his personality, his life, the company he keeps. All that sort of thing. The opening scene is him eating a hot-dog in a family restroom at Wal-Mart. I wrote some shit and now it gives me douche chills to go back and reread. It's pretty short (about a page) but for some reason the idea keeps nagging me. What do you peeps think? Can anyone relate to these feels?

Only had a chance to take a quick look just now, but these are perfect. I'll add them to my list. The articles you selected, too, are right up my alley. Thanks a lot, Aidan.

And, yep, Writing Excuses rocks. Not much more to be said that hasn't been in this thread.

If I find anymore useful blogs in my search, I'll drop by and plop them in this thread for others.

Yeah, I recall that shit being pretty low. So if you're a best selling author it doesn't necessarily mean you're making much money.

You're right. It's getting harder and harder for many books and their authors to get noticed if their not already established. Much like the other mediums, the mid tier is slowly dissolving as book publishers try to chase the blockbuster releases while the indie scene moves over to the self publishing space. And it's only going to get harder as the rest of the bigger bookstores like Barnes and Noble slowly fade out.

I can see the book industry turning into something resembling the music industry in the future. But I hope I'm wrong on that prediction.

You're right. It's getting harder and harder for many books and their authors to get noticed if their not already established. Much like the other mediums, the mid tier is slowly dissolving as book publishers try to chase the blockbuster releases while the indie scene moves over to the self publishing space. And it's only going to get harder as the rest of the bigger bookstores like Barnes and Noble slowly fade out.

I can see the book industry turning into something resembling the music industry in the future. But I hope I'm wrong on that prediction.
This sounds really true and it makes me sad.

That being said, I do think as time has gone on, the self publishing space has gained a bit more respect. Or at least, I respect it more than I once did.

Having been told "No" because my book is too long kinda makes me want to go "fuck you" and toss it up on my own. Show em wrong, yaknow?

Found this on my doorstep yesterday:

x8wXvtC.jpg

Now to get the giveaway going. I'm going to put in a ton of effort to get this one out there.

Woorloog

Banned
How annoying. I have an idea a scene/chapter. So i write down stuff that happens in it, a summary of things. Nice, this makes a reasonable chapter, provided kind of introspective chapter is acceptable. May have to move some things to other parts, add some action perhaps, but that's all right, having a base to work from is more important than details. (Complete writing later. Maybe.)

I do that and... well, suddenly i find myself without any ideas. Even what i just thought and wrote down doesn't feel interesting, i don't feel like things need changing. It is as if i emptied myself, made things immutable merely by writing them. Not sure how to continue, not sure how this fits anything else.

Not the first time i feel this. I find this odd really. I can keep an idea in my head for a long time, keep thinking about it, but often if i write it down, i stop thinking about it, perhaps even forget it.

Unfortunately writing this doesn't seem to bring back that moment of... inspiration? Was it inspiration or is there a better word? Creativity?

Perhaps i should try to write more than a summary? Yet so many details would need to be filled in.

Ironically the tone of the chapter i thought about would be a lot like this post, kind of introspective. Not sure if that is interesting to read in a novel. On the other hand, perhaps i should not give a shit what others think is interesting to read and write something i like. Perhaps it is better write to "genuinely" and assume there will be readers who're interested in that, rather than tailor writing to imaginary readers who probably do not exist.

There's no real point in this post. I think i'm writing this more for myself, as a method of working out my own thinking. Does that make sense? Do others do such as well?

EDIT Also, i find it amusing i use names from media i like as placeholders. No idea what to call the protagonist (not even sure if he (or she?) is the protagonist) so i wrote the first name that occurred to me (i this case, Alexei Stukov from Starcraft). Something related to terraforming? Saxifrage from Mars Trilogy. Seems like a practical method, as long as i don't get too attached to the names. I know i would find it odd to read a book where every single name is something i recognize from other things.

Found this on my doorstep yesterday:

Now to get the giveaway going. I'm going to put in a ton of effort to get this one out there.

That's awesome! Must be such a nice feeling, having it physically in your hands. Hope it goes well for you.

How annoying. I have an idea a scene/chapter. So i write down stuff that happens in it, a summary of things. Nice, this makes a reasonable chapter, provided kind of introspective chapter is acceptable. May have to move some things to other parts, add some action perhaps, but that's all right, having a base to work from is more important than details. (Complete writing later. Maybe.)

I do that and... well, suddenly i find myself without any ideas. Even what i just thought and wrote down doesn't feel interesting, i don't feel like things need changing. It is as if i emptied myself, made things immutable merely by writing them. Not sure how to continue, not sure how this fits anything else.

Not the first time i feel this. I find this odd really. I can keep an idea in my head for a long time, keep thinking about it, but often if i write it down, i stop thinking about it, perhaps even forget it.

Unfortunately writing this doesn't seem to bring back that moment of... inspiration? Was it inspiration or is there a better word? Creativity?

Perhaps i should try to write more than a summary? Yet so many details would need to be filled in.

Ironically the tone of the chapter i thought about would be a lot like this post, kind of introspective. Not sure if that is interesting to read in a novel. On the other hand, perhaps i should not give a shit what others think is interesting to read and write something i like. Perhaps it is better write to "genuinely" and assume there will be readers who're interested in that, rather than tailor writing to imaginary readers who probably do not exist.

There's no real point in this post. I think i'm writing this more for myself, as a method of working out my own thinking. Does that make sense? Do others do such as well?

EDIT Also, i find it amusing i use names from media i like as placeholders. No idea what to call the protagonist (not even sure if he (or she?) is the protagonist) so i wrote the first name that occurred to me (i this case, Alexei Stukov from Starcraft). Something related to terraforming? Saxifrage from Mars Trilogy. Seems like a practical method, as long as i don't get too attached to the names. I know i would find it odd to read a book where every single name is something i recognize from other things.

To me, it sounds like it might help to dig a bit deeper and find what about that idea captured your attention. What exactly is it that is/was interesting to you? There's always something underneath that initial idea that grabs at us, that sinks itself into our mind, and I think if you find out exactly what that is, everything won't get away so easily.

Also, if worrying about what others want to read is making it difficult for you, then heck yes you should just forget about that for this first draft. Write what you want to write. This first draft is for you. You can worry about making it "readable" for others when you edit. Most likely, at that point you'll be able to see what actually needs to be changed instead of feeling all self-conscious throughout the entire process.

Otherwise, if you do want more help, give us some more details and others here should be able to help. Keep at it!

Mr-Joker

Banned
So urm I keep flip flopping whether to work on a stand along story or continue working on the story that I have been working on the last year but it's a 4 book series.

One side thinks that I should switch to the one book to get some writing practices and learn how book publishing works and then work on the 4 book series. The other side says just continue with the 4 books series and then work on the one book after.

The insane side say do both at the same time.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm nearing the hundred-page mark on this book. There will be several hundred more. And then approximately four more books in this series. (Hint: we're both crazy, Mr Joker).

When I posted here a few weeks ago saying that reading your messages in this thread helped give me the much-needed push to do this, I wasn't kidding. I feel so full of energy, so accomplished, so amazing, every time I finish a chapter. I've been sending a few people the chapters as they come along, and response has been pretty strong thus far, especially for a first draft. It is an incredible feeling.

Thank you again, everyone. I'm still following along with your posts and feeling inspired. Let's all keep going with our dream works.

Woorloog

Banned
To me, it sounds like it might help to dig a bit deeper and find what about that idea captured your attention. What exactly is it that is/was interesting to you? There's always something underneath that initial idea that grabs at us, that sinks itself into our mind, and I think if you find out exactly what that is, everything won't get away so easily.

The scene made perfect sense in my mind. Such a vivid image. I feel what the character feels, i know what he thinks, why he thinks this, etc. Visually, it is relatively powerful. And i felt it would be easy to write (or, well, would be, as i only wrote a summary).

But strictly speaking, the scene is without context. Some sort scifi setting. But i don't have anything else for it, bits and pieces at most (haven't even really tried fitting them together).

And most of all, i'm missing characters, ideas for characters whose story i'd like to write and explore. The only character i have in mind isn't necessarily a good view point character beyond some scenes. And i have no story in mind for him, beyond that scene.
Of course, a scifi story is as much, or perhaps even more, about the world than it is about the characters there.

A roadblock i have for writing scifi (despite loving the genre) is that i still haven't figured out a justification for manned space flight and constant presence of humans in space in a scifi world. Just because is not enough for me (even if it is enough for 99.9% of readers and authors), not when robotic and remote controlled probes can accomplish just about everything far more effectively. Especially with futuristic technology.
Exploring this conflict/dilemma is actually an interesting thing in itself, but it has no relation to what i've written and thought about.

Also, if worrying about what others want to read is making it difficult for you, then heck yes you should just forget about that for this first draft. Write what you want to write. This first draft is for you. You can worry about making it "readable" for others when you edit. Most likely, at that point you'll be able to see what actually needs to be changed instead of feeling all self-conscious throughout the entire process.

Honestly, i shouldn't even think about readability at this point. I don't really have anything but this summary of a chapter, plus various ideas, ideas i'm not even sure i want to fit together.
What you write does sound very reasonable.
(I can't recall why i wrote what i wrote. Guess my mind was darting around... I have noticed being a bit sleepy is beneficial for creativity and thinking. Relaxed mind, you know? Unfortunately, the drawback is that why and how is usually missing afterwards. Not that it is a big deal.)

What i really should do is to work on writing, rather than do it sporadically, only when i have a clear idea what i want to write. But i know i could easily lose myself for hours were i to do that. Not sure i want to do that... Difficult to have time for every interesting thing.

I'm nearing the hundred-page mark on this book. There will be several hundred more. And then approximately four more books in this series. (Hint: we're both crazy, Mr Joker).

When I posted here a few weeks ago saying that reading your messages in this thread helped give me the much-needed push to do this, I wasn't kidding. I feel so full of energy, so accomplished, so amazing, every time I finish a chapter. I've been sending a few people the chapters as they come along, and response has been pretty strong thus far, especially for a first draft. It is an incredible feeling.

Thank you again, everyone. I'm still following along with your posts and feeling inspired. Let's all keep going with our dream works.

I'm in your boat. ~250 pages into my first book, and it still feels great hitting a new chapter. After a couple of years of struggling to finally begin writing, being able to make so much progress is not only relieving but also so exciting. I'm slower than I want, and I have days where I can't get myself to write at all, but I'm doing it. Finally.

And yes, thanks to everyone here. I've hardly posted in here, but hearing about everyone working on their own things has helped push me as well.

What i really should do is to work on writing, rather than do it sporadically, only when i have a clear idea what i want to write. But i know i could easily lose myself for hours were i to do that. Not sure i want to do that... Difficult to have time for every interesting thing.

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. It's a choice you have to make. Even if it's only a few hours once a week, you've gotta commit yourself to it. Find the balance in your life that works for you, and do it.

Keep going, man.

Reedirect

I've been dealing with publishing my first novel for a while now. After months and months of not receiving answers to my emails to publishers, or only receiving polite rejections, the only publisher currently even remotely in the running wrote me back saying they read through the manuscript and want to publish it. They also sent me the editor's notes on my novel, which were mostly paragraphs of negatives that ended on a positive note ("Some of the characters are odd... but that's not a big deal.").

Now I don't want to jinx anything, but this thread helped me and inspired me in a lot of ways during the writing process, and this seems to be heading somewhere, so I decided to share.

*carreychance.gif*

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I've been dealing with publishing my first novel for a while now. After months and months of not receiving answers to my emails to publishers, or only receiving polite rejections, the only publisher currently even remotely in the running wrote me back saying they read through the manuscript and want to publish it. They also sent me the editor's notes on my novel, which were mostly paragraphs of negatives that ended on a positive note ("Some of the characters are odd... but that's not a big deal.").

Now I don't want to jinx anything, but this thread helped me and inspired me in a lot of ways during the writing process, and this seems heading somewhere, so I decided to share.

*carreychance.gif*

Woot! Congrats. Once the contract's signed, be sure to let us know who's publishing it. I'd also love to hear about your experience editing the novel under the guidance of your editor.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm in your boat. ~250 pages into my first book, and it still feels great hitting a new chapter. After a couple of years of struggling to finally begin writing, being able to make so much progress is not only relieving but also so exciting. I'm slower than I want, and I have days where I can't get myself to write at all, but I'm doing it. Finally.

Wonderful.

Let's do this, Crimson_Justice. Let's make it all the way. Let's write our novels.

Now I don't want to jinx anything, but this thread helped me and inspired me in a lot of ways during the writing process, and this seems to be heading somewhere, so I decided to share.

*carreychance.gif*

Congrats. :D

*carreychance.gif*
Booyah! That's awesome news!

Reedirect

Woot! Congrats. Once the contract's signed, be sure to let us know who's publishing it. I'd also love to hear about your experience editing the novel under the guidance of your editor.

Thanks. I forgot to specify, I'm not US-based, so the publisher's name probably won't ring a bell. The book's written in Czech, although it takes place in the US and most of the characters are American, which was apparently a big issue for a lot of potential publishers (that and the novel being a thriller aiming at the YA demographic). I'll make sure to write some editing impressions though, when/if we get there :)

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

*carreychance.gif*

Congratulations!!! I hope you enjoyed that surreal moment of realizing it was not a rejection letter.

Top Bottom