• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Finished my novel.

CafBHA0UkAAtdgm.jpg

(Barring any last-minute tweaks, of course. I have until the 26th, then it goes live March 4th.)

From a stumbling NaNoWriMo draft to here. Ended up on the shorter side; 67,000 words, 282 pages. I'll probably look back in a year or two and be embarrassed by the quality, but oh well. Point is: I made something, I put in the effort to improve it, now I have a book that I can point to and say "I made that."

...well I can't point to it yet, don't have the proof paperback in, but you know what I mean.

Congrats! Echoing what everyone else said: that's a great cover. What's your book about?

Can you tell us a bit about your road from a completed NaNoWriMo draft to the final published product?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Congrats! Again, to chime in, great cover. Did you make it yourself?

Also, how are you getting published? Is it self published? Did you snag an agent? Spill some details here!

Finished my novel.

CafBHA0UkAAtdgm.jpg

(Barring any last-minute tweaks, of course. I have until the 26th, then it goes live March 4th.)

From a stumbling NaNoWriMo draft to here. Ended up on the shorter side; 67,000 words, 282 pages. I'll probably look back in a year or two and be embarrassed by the quality, but oh well. Point is: I made something, I put in the effort to improve it, now I have a book that I can point to and say "I made that."

...well I can't point to it yet, don't have the proof paperback in, but you know what I mean.

Looks really good! Congrats~! Let us know how it gets on. :D

Anyone wrote a one-page statement of plans for completion? This is for a contest for a book in progress. I'm not sure exactly how to take up one page basically saying that I plan to write everyday to get my book finished.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
:D

Cover was done by Simon Avery. He has an almost lightweight style that I figured would work, since the book's kinda lit-fic but not super dark. I didn't emphasize it was a furry novel until the very end because I didn't want an overly furry cover. Them being animals comes up around stereotyping more than anything. Think the result came out great on that front.

The book's about a near-30 woman whose personality flaws (namely, indecision and a desire for control) cause some tricky situations (growing away from friends, finding a new apartment) to blow up out of proportion. There are definitely bits based on my own ability to be my own worst enemy, which made writing it kinda hard. The full, final (unless I tweak it again) blurb for Amazon:

Sarah Madsen is a modern young rabbit with a cozy urban life. A yuppie, perhaps, though she'd disagree with the label. After all, yuppies don't hang with eccentric artists in beat-down studios, much less date them. And they don't get pushed out of their apartment by profit-hunting developers, forced to pick between an impossible market and an unsustainable rent.

As she hunts for a new place to live, she learns how her comfortable lifestyle is seen by those around her. Some are sympathetic and kind, some cold and indifferent, some jealous and hostile. None can relieve her frustration from knowing that her easy life is slowly slipping out of her control. She'll take control anywhere she can find it, but not everyone appreciates her attempts to help. Not even herself.

A story of class and success in the millennial age, The Latte Segment explores how well we can trust others, and ourselves, to do the right things in our lives - or, to do anything about them at all.

(I hate writing blurbs.)

The title comes from the Scandinavian equivalent of "latte-sipping liberal elite". Which kinda fits the main characters, although elitism shows up in multiple class directions throughout the story. Plus there are a lot of coffee shop scenes.

I'm self-publishing. Already put up pre-orders for myself, because a friend kept nagging me to do it. (I swear, they're more excited about this book than I am.) One of the NaNoWriMo prizes was a line-jump on Pronoun, which I'm using for the ebook. (Pronoun is "what's the catch?" good, the output is gorgeous.) Paperback is Createspace, fairly typical.

And, the process. I let the draft sit after November ended. Initially, I didn't plan to publish, because I mostly wrote it as therapy. But, near Christmas, I realized that I had to start sharing my work if I was going to be a writer so I might as well start now. The first draft already used a beat sheet, which helped me pace things. I set up a new one, along with a scene worksheet, so as the new year approached I knew the improved structure. Then I rewrote the entire manuscript, fixing the worst language and any logical inconsistencies. That took almost a month and a half. Then I did an in-editor read-through and edit. Now, I'm doing a last pass, reading through on my Kindle.

In the future? Gonna do way more editing. Probably get a professional involved, if I can afford the expense (I have over $800 in up-front costs put into this one; yes I do know roughly how many copies I have to sell to make that back). It's also very likely I went much too fast with it, but if it's received well enough there's no reason not to keep up the pace. More books out there means more long-tail sales and more opportunities for promotions.

I hope it goes well for you! I liked the blurb, though it's not the normal kind of fiction I'd read.

My first novel was a furry thing--still waiting on a few more rejections for it--so hopefully we both got an "in" in that market. I'm pretty sure they aren't too upset about spending money on things if it involves the fandom :p

Kinda curious how you dropped $800 on that. I imagine teh cover cost a bit, but where did the other costs come from, if you're cool with answering that.

Hop

I hope it goes well for you! I liked the blurb, though it's not the normal kind of fiction I'd read.

My first novel was a furry thing--still waiting on a few more rejections for it--so hopefully we both got an "in" in that market. I'm pretty sure they aren't too upset about spending money on things if it involves the fandom :p

Kinda curious how you dropped $800 on that. I imagine teh cover cost a bit, but where did the other costs come from, if you're cool with answering that.

Definitely worried about market entry and audience size and all that. It's not a run-of-the-mill furry novel, so I have no idea if that's something people want or not. Hence, self-publishing. :) I'm gonna be stumbling around for my niche quite a lot.

The cover was the vast majority (even so, $700 is cheaper than some designers and the end result was not by-the-numbers at all). Also paid for my own ISBN and barcode so I can have full ownership over the publishing meta (and I can easily move myself to any other distribution service if necessary). Also counting a bit of the Grammarly subscription I used for line editing. Think $825 will be a better ballpark figure once I count the handful of signed copies I'm giving away to especially important friends. But that's more marketing than up-front, really, so whatever. Here I am, talking like I know what I'm doing. :p

(I actually purchased http://bunny.money for a gag that probably won't happen, so I might use that as a "here are the numbers for being self-published" sort of blog thing. Go more in-depth on this sorta stuff. Dunno.)

Dresden

:D

Cover was done by Simon Avery. He has an almost lightweight style that I figured would work, since the book's kinda lit-fic but not super dark. I didn't emphasize it was a furry novel until the very end because I didn't want an overly furry cover. Them being animals comes up around stereotyping more than anything. Think the result came out great on that front.

didn't notice the ears until I read this. Really nice cover.

I have written a graphic novel . Trouble is, while the whole script is written, the art has yet to be finished. I have only 40 pages actually competed. I have another 30 in the pencil stage, and another 70+ that have'nt even been started. The expense is alot, and thats the main reason its going so slow. So I decided to release it in chapters instead. I've been on this project for years. I know zombies are kind of played out, but I started it this before I knew the Walking Dead existed let alone before TV show was a glimmer in someones eye. I hope I have a different enough twist on the genre to set it apart.

I have the first two chapters up free for a limited time. You can get them on Amazon or Drive Thru comics.

Revolting Chapter One - Kindle

Revolting Chapter Two- Kindle

Revolting Chapter One- Drive Thru Comics

Revolting Chapter Two - DriveThru Comics

www.revoltingbooks.com

Does this count as being published enough to get in the OP? I would really love some feedback and reviews from you guys on the sites themselves if so inclined. The free preview will only be for three days. I really cant wait for this to be complete. I am also writing a traditional novel. Just finishing up the outline now.

thanks!

Adding to the OP now. Looks great and congrats!

Definitely worried about market entry and audience size and all that. It's not a run-of-the-mill furry novel, so I have no idea if that's something people want or not. Hence, self-publishing. :) I'm gonna be stumbling around for my niche quite a lot.

The cover was the vast majority (even so, $700 is cheaper than some designers and the end result was not by-the-numbers at all). Also paid for my own ISBN and barcode so I can have full ownership over the publishing meta (and I can easily move myself to any other distribution service if necessary). Also counting a bit of the Grammarly subscription I used for line editing. Think $825 will be a better ballpark figure once I count the handful of signed copies I'm giving away to especially important friends. But that's more marketing than up-front, really, so whatever. Here I am, talking like I know what I'm doing. :p

(I actually purchased http://bunny.money for a gag that probably won't happen, so I might use that as a "here are the numbers for being self-published" sort of blog thing. Go more in-depth on this sorta stuff. Dunno.)
Thanks for the rundown!

I dunno how much covers are supposed to cost. I'm blessed with a brother who is a pretty good artist, and I have a handful of artist friends that would give me a hefty discount, I imagine.

You do pay for what you get for, and your cover is damn nice to look at. So money well spent, I'd say.

I wish ya well :)

Hop

Thanks for the rundown!

I dunno how much covers are supposed to cost. I'm blessed with a brother who is a pretty good artist, and I have a handful of artist friends that would give me a hefty discount, I imagine.

You do pay for what you get for, and your cover is damn nice to look at. So money well spent, I'd say.

I wish ya well :)

I've seen designers anywhere from $100 to $2,000. Both ends claim they're "custom", but the $100 is gonna be a lot more paint-by-numbers. ...Yet, there are $1000+ designers who are a bit paint-by-numbers, and certain genres actually encourage that sort of approach so it's not actually a bad thing sometimes.

Basically it's a crapshoot as to what's worth it or not.

I've seen designers anywhere from $100 to $2,000. Both ends claim they're "custom", but the $100 is gonna be a lot more paint-by-numbers. ...Yet, there are $1000+ designers who are a bit paint-by-numbers, and certain genres actually encourage that sort of approach so it's not actually a bad thing sometimes.

Basically it's a crapshoot as to what's worth it or not.
Sounds about right :p

Unsure of how to approach this cover letter I'm writing for a writing contest? I've looked up about 8 different sites online, but it's not helping me. There are none for my specific situation, but for publication or submission most of these sites are telling me not to try and sell my story or to try and make myself stand out in the letter. Then I'm not entirely sure what to say. Some of the samples shown are very bare as well.

Anyone have any tips?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Unsure of how to approach this cover letter I'm writing for a writing contest? I've looked up about 8 different sites online, but it's not helping me. There are none for my specific situation, but for publication or submission most of these sites are telling me not to try and sell my story or to try and make myself stand out in the letter. Then I'm not entirely sure what to say. Some of the samples shown are very bare as well.

Anyone have any tips?

Here's my stock cover letter (which I tweak based on the market's requirements):

Dear [Editor Name],

Please accept my [xxxx] word short story, "[Short Story Title]", for submission to [Market Name].

I am the Hugo Award-winning founder of A Dribble of Ink, and currently a writer for the Barnes & Noble Sci-Fi & Fantasy Blog and Tor.com. My first book, Tide of Shadows and Other Stories, was released in May, 2015.

I appreciate your consideration.

Cheers,

~Aidan

Nothing fancy. State your purpose. Write a small bio (hopefully you have something that makes you an interesting match for the story you're writing—for me, it's my writing credits; for you, it might be something different, maybe you've sailed all your life and the story you've written takes place at sea). And a thank you.

MilkBeard

Finished my novel.

CafBHA0UkAAtdgm.jpg

Congrats. And I agree with others, the cover is nice. I could easily imagine this as a professional cover in a bookstore.

Ventara

I've recently decided to act on my long held desire to write a book, and I'm finding it a lot harder than I thought. Decided to go with a fantasy setting (something I've always wanted to write about), but all those ideas and daydreams I've had over the years all seem to fizzle out. I just don't know where to begin. It feels like all the ideas I've had all began in the middle with no how or why leading up to it. The help in the OP regarding starting with the characters really helped, though. I have a general of what kind of characters I want, though I'm coming up short on their motivation and desires. So I've actually decided to start off my drawing the world map for my fantasy story. I figure from there, I can create the towns and countries, and create a general idea of the political and economical landscape in this fantasy world. From there, I'm HOPING it would be easier to create my characters. Plus, I absolutely love drawing maps.

Anyways, this is a pretty nice thread, and I'm glad it has a positive vibe to it. I'll be using it as motivation and for some guidance by posting updates every now and then. Will post a picture of my map when I'm done with it.

Syncytia

I've recently decided to act on my long held desire to write a book, and I'm finding it a lot harder than I thought. Decided to go with a fantasy setting (something I've always wanted to write about), but all those ideas and daydreams I've had over the years all seem to fizzle out. I just don't know where to begin. It feels like all the ideas I've had all began in the middle with no how or why leading up to it. The help in the OP regarding starting with the characters really helped, though. I have a general of what kind of characters I want, though I'm coming up short on their motivation and desires. So I've actually decided to start off my drawing the world map for my fantasy story. I figure from there, I can create the towns and countries, and create a general idea of the political and economical landscape in this fantasy world. From there, I'm HOPING it would be easier to create my characters. Plus, I absolutely love drawing maps.

Anyways, this is a pretty nice thread, and I'm glad it has a positive vibe to it. I'll be using it as motivation and for some guidance by posting updates every now and then. Will post a picture of my map when I'm done with it.

I'm more or less at the same stage of writing as you are. What's helped me so far is just to start writing my ideas. Sometimes they come out horrible. Other times I like what comes out. I have maybe 10 ideas that I jump between. Probably not very efficient, but at least if I'm stuck on one, I can jump into something else that interests me at the moment and it keeps me writing. At this early stage, I'm happy to be writing instead of being stumped on something. And it's helping me to learn how to build ideas and characters. I'll go back to something I haven't worked on in a month or two and after reading through say to myself, "What is this drivel, I can do way better than this," and I end up rewriting parts and that story becomes better.

I wouldn't worry about something in your mind starting in the middle, just start writing from there. Maybe it ends up being in the middle of the story, or maybe it ends up being in the beginning, I don't think it matters to much if your idea is just a very simple premise. Just start writing what you want to happen and your idea will evolve, and I've found that besides giving you something to work on, the 'before' will often come while you're writing. Maybe writing your idea brings you to create another character that brings conflict to the story, and you can flesh out the history of the character, and the events that the character has experienced can be expanded upon. Again, sometimes this goes on and it doesn't come out great and other times you'll be really satisfied with the path you take, Either way, keep working on it and you'll improve on your ideas. Eventually you should get to something somewhat cohesive.

My favorite story I'm working on right now started only with 2 characters being exiled on a space ship. I didn't know why or by whom they were exiled or what was going to happen really. But just starting to write has helped me build up some alien worlds, human space before the exile, the reason for being exiled, and some motivations for getting back to human space and maybe revenge or something.

Now I'm also starting to be able to do some larger outlines for ideas. Going through the process while just writing some short stuff has helped me to think about how things would flow and I can put together larger story lines and understand them easier now without having to actually write parts of them out. Like anything else, it takes practice and if you keep at it you will get better.

Don't be afraid to start somewhere in the middle. You can either go back and flesh things out when you're ready, or just say fuck it and assume the middle is the beginning.

My fantasy novel starts out right after a gladiator-style battle with the "king" asking the winner what he wants now that he won. You don't need to get your protag in the city for the battle then have the battle if you don't want to.

Start when things get good! Go until they get better.

Ventara

Thanks for the advice, guys. They say just getting yourself to start writing is one of the biggest hurdles, so maybe it's a good idea to just start writing down these ideas and see what works.

Anyways, I've drawn up a rough sketch of a world map, but before I start adding towns and cities, I figured it's best to figure out the magic system in my story, since that may affect how things look. Though I've hit a roadblock with this. It is extremely difficult to come up with a logical yet simple magic system that can coexist with science. I think I might be overthinking this. I mean, if I make it too detailed, it'll be boring, right? And if it's too simple, it'll be shallow. And it both cases, there'll probably be plot holes that don't make sense.

Thanks for the advice, guys. They say just getting yourself to start writing is one of the biggest hurdles, so maybe it's a good idea to just start writing down these ideas and see what works.

Anyways, I've drawn up a rough sketch of a world map, but before I start adding towns and cities, I figured it's best to figure out the magic system in my story, since that may affect how things look. Though I've hit a roadblock with this. It is extremely difficult to come up with a logical yet simple magic system that can coexist with science. I think I might be overthinking this. I mean, if I make it too detailed, it'll be boring, right? And if it's too simple, it'll be shallow. And it both cases, there'll probably be plot holes that don't make sense.
I haven't had too much experience with magic systems, but I've enjoyed some complicated ones just as much as the simple ones.

I'd avoid too complicated with too many rules simply because they seem a hellova lot harder to work with. Plus, you run the risk of getting confusing and or creating corners for your system that simply cannot be breached.

I thought after a day I'd be fine, but no I am still pissed to high hell. FUCKFUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCJK
SUBEF'IP

i DIDN'T EVEN GET A GOSH DAMN CHANCE TO SUBMIT MY SHIT! I FOR ONCE DECIDED TO TAKE MY TIME ON IT AND AFTER GETTING SLEEPY AND DECIDING TO FINISH UP IN THE MORNING, THEY REACHED THEIR FUCKING LIMIT! SHIT! I WOULDN'T BE ALL THAT MAD IF THEY DIDN'T END UP PICKING ME, BUT I DIDN'T EVEN GET A CHANCE TO GET REJECTED! I NEEDED THAT MONEY I WANTED THE CHANCE TO WIN THAT MONEY AND THAT TRIP ! AFTER ALL THAT TIME AND EFFORT I PUT INTO THAT SHIT.... FUUUUUUUUUUUK!

FlowersisBritish

Things like that suck, I'm sorry for you. I always miss the changing deadline of my college's literary magazine, and i'm always pissed because even when i do, I don't get in. It's kind of become a trial to prove myself, and I've yet to pass. On the brightside, you have a story. There are other places to submit to, other contests to try. Your venture and hard work aren't for nothing.

Could you recommend a site where I can find some contests that don't have entry fees? I've been using pw.org. Everything coming up are for states I don't live in.

I'm just really mad about it because the night before they were still accepting submissions. I should've gone ahead and submitted it then, despite feeling that my one page statement could've used more work.

FlowersisBritish

I usually use submission grinder to look for places. It's a pretty big database. Only problem is that to find contests specifically(or anthologies) is fairly tough. You can do it, just a bit of hassle. One thing that might be nice for you, it does have some filter options, so you can skip places that require fees, it also has basic listings of what they pay(ranging from nontoken to pro). It's a good site.

How long does Amazon take generally when you submit your stuff for Kindle Direct Publishing?

I feel like I want to say 8 hours? That probably depends when you do it though. Generally I'd submit around midnight in Australia and get the go live notifcation 8am-10am ish.

Hi! I can't wait to get more involved with this community. I am a singer songwriter (though I haven't recorded in a few years) who has had some success, and have started spreading my talents out.

www.handsomeransom.bandcamp.com

I'm enrolled in a Creative Writing - Horror class and I am hoping to use this as an added push to start working on a passion project I've had in mind. I do have a question though. Where do you even start when you have a whole world in your head? How do you even begin when your story isn't exactly linear? What are good exercises to jump start yourself? Maybe I need to stop asking how and just start, despite my desperate need of a patient editor.

With luck my class will help start refining me. From there I'll probably try to find a club to surround myself with likeminded people.

Soulfire

How long does Amazon take generally when you submit your stuff for Kindle Direct Publishing?
I've had stuff go live in a couple hours and one that took almost seventy-two hours, I think the average is about twenty for me. I believe their official time frame is 24-48.

Any advice on names that have significance? Like Vader being the German word for father, how do you approach this without being too "on the nose?" I writing fantasy, so there is freedom here, but it's grounded in reality.

Any advice on names that have significance? Like Vader being the German word for father, how do you approach this without being too "on the nose?" I writing fantasy, so there is freedom here, but it's grounded in reality.
Depending on what you're trying to get across, most names have meanings. If you are going high fantasy, then English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish are some names to look into. Latin is versatile. Nordic for those northern/viking like races.

Essentially, if you're looking to subtly add some meaning to your names, there are plenty of options out there among all the possible names in the world. Do some googling.

Depending on what you're trying to get across, most names have meanings. If you are going high fantasy, then English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish are some names to look into. Latin is versatile. Nordic for those northern/viking like races.

Essentially, if you're looking to subtly add some meaning to your names, there are plenty of options out there among all the possible names in the world. Do some googling.

a lot of people start with a blank sheet of paper, but only a few write history

good luck

Thank you both for the advice! Even just little bits of encouragement are helpful. I'm very glad GAF has communities like this one.

Not about writing per se, but I am beginning to worry that my hobby of reviewing books for a small nerdy website might hinder my chances of being published. I'm hard to please when it comes to novels, and I've certainly had a go at stuff published by Tor and Baen, both of whom are BIG publishers. I've sent my novel to both and am eagerly awaiting rejections.

I've actually had authors comment on two of my more recent reviews, which is strange as hell to me. Though one was only pointing out that I misspelled his name :p Fuckin' whoops!

I dunno. I'm probably being paranoid. It's not something I want to stop doing, but it's also bad for to criticize your peers--though none of these people can be a peer until I'm published, IMO >_>

Mike M

Nick N
Not about writing per se, but I am beginning to worry that my hobby of reviewing books for a small nerdy website might hinder my chances of being published. I'm hard to please when it comes to novels, and I've certainly had a go at stuff published by Tor and Baen, both of whom are BIG publishers. I've sent my novel to both and am eagerly awaiting rejections.

I've actually had authors comment on two of my more recent reviews, which is strange as hell to me. Though one was only pointing out that I misspelled his name :p Fuckin' whoops!

I dunno. I'm probably being paranoid. It's not something I want to stop doing, but it's also bad for to criticize your peers--though none of these people can be a peer until I'm published, IMO >_>
Pen name.

FlowersisBritish

Pen name.

Local news: Writey McWriteguy actually Conkersbadfurday, most known for his blog criticizing the novels of his publisher, and fellow authors. World made a shocked face. I say stick to your guns, keep your real name, otherwise it seems like you're trying to actively hide what is just a blog. Things take on new connotations when you hide them. But what do I know? I'm not cool enough to be published or have a blog.

Dresden

unless you hit requireshate levels of vitriol I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Good luck Dres.

Edit. And Zoe. Cool cover. :)

thanks fam.

MilkBeard

Local news: Writey McWriteguy actually Conkersbadfurday, most known for his blog criticizing the novels of his publisher, and fellow authors. World made a shocked face. I say stick to your guns, keep your real name, otherwise it seems like you're trying to actively hide what is just a blog. Things take on new connotations when you hide them. But what do I know? I'm not cool enough to be published or have a blog.

You don't have a blog? Even Jimmy McNobody has a blog nowadays. I see you are really a revolutionary in disguise.

Btw, in all seriousness, I agree. Writing critiques of other writers isn't going to change anything. But what do I know? I'm just Silly D. Neogafposter.

Mike M

Nick N
Is there a format that comics/graphic novels use? I'd guess something similar to a screen or stage play?

H. Protagonist, halp.

Hop

Got the paperback proof copy this afternoon. My book is... real. Have to make some formatting improvements/fixes to really polish it up, but... yeah. I can't believe I did it.

Ashes

Banned
Top Bottom