• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wuthering Waves |OT| - Devil May Impact

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Yea I kinda question their decision to make character building so FUCKING SLOW. On one hand, I get it, the game was new and they wanted to make sure players have something to grind towards, but even Genshin 1.0 wasn't so stingy with basic mats like artifact (Echo) xp and just basic currency Mora (Shell credits).

Also the weekly boss mats, as we've previously discussed, is fucking bullshit. I'm a fairly active day 1 player and I STILL haven't fully leveled the skills of a single team yet. And I just hit the quest for the next SOL3 uncap.

Same. Max I currently have so far is Changli with level 8 talents, with the rest skill tree already unlocked too.

Everyone else I play is currently sitting on level 6. It's a pain in the ass to level one character, imagine trying to have 2 playable teams.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
LIST OF 120 FPS GPU'S

And brace yourselves. They have also limited the CPU's.

This is already turning out to be a shitshow.

For instances, I have more than enough juice to run the game at 120fps, but because my CPU (Ryzen 7600X) is not on the list I'm locked out.

This is unbelievably stupid. That's why you have recommended specs and uncapped framerate.

You just don't simply decide which hardware is good and which one isn't.

Last edited:
I just checked and mine is supported. Ryzen 9 5900x and RTX 3080. But yeah it's bad that they are optimizing for select few. Hopefully they will expand the support to others as well.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Prompts with controller seem to also have taken a fuckup.

I'm playing the game with a dualsense since Day 1 and now I can't use echo skills because the prompt doesn't work.

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

EDIT: To anyone having the same issue, Kuro decided to change the layout. Resetting it and adjusting prompts solves the issue.

Last edited:

Pejo

Prompts with controller seem to also have taken a fuckup.

I'm playing the game with a dualsense since Day 1 and now I can't use echo skills because the prompt doesn't work.

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

EDIT: To anyone having the same issue, Kuro decided to change the layout. Resetting it and adjusting prompts solves the issue.
Weird, I didn't have any issues and I have been playing with Dualsense on PC since launch.

Anyways, FINALLY have 2 full teams built. By full I mean level 80/weapon level 80/All skill nodes filled in, and core skills to +6 or higher. Fully leveled echoes with decent (not perfect) substats. I'm sitting on the SOL3 upgrade quest for a while though, I want to pre-farm a few characters' ascension materials and Ascension mats for their weapons. I'm not gonna go higher on the skills for now since they're weekly boss gated anyways. After I have 2 full teams at 90 maxed out, then I'll worry about finishing skills. I'm already able to clear tower resets at level 80 anyways, so all of the further building I'm doing is just gonna make it easier.

I honestly and sincerely wish tower was more of a "survive it and get the kill" mode instead of a timed DPS check mode. Imagine fighting stuff like the level 120 enemies with no resurrections. That would be so much more fun of an endgame mode. Groups of stupid enemies with inflated stats just to make you sweat the timers is the antithesis of fun, to me.

I hope to god level 90 stays the max level for a good long time. Building characters in this game is fucking painful.

TheTurboFD

I’ve got a fully built 92% CR 256%CR Jinshi and a few other characters bet yet I can’t for the life of me get a good roll of states my my 3 cost echo for Changli. I’ve been farming for days WTF . Screw this havoc dreadmane and heron farming .

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Weird, I didn't have any issues and I have been playing with Dualsense on PC since launch.

Anyways, FINALLY have 2 full teams built. By full I mean level 80/weapon level 80/All skill nodes filled in, and core skills to +6 or higher. Fully leveled echoes with decent (not perfect) substats. I'm sitting on the SOL3 upgrade quest for a while though, I want to pre-farm a few characters' ascension materials and Ascension mats for their weapons. I'm not gonna go higher on the skills for now since they're weekly boss gated anyways. After I have 2 full teams at 90 maxed out, then I'll worry about finishing skills. I'm already able to clear tower resets at level 80 anyways, so all of the further building I'm doing is just gonna make it easier.

I honestly and sincerely wish tower was more of a "survive it and get the kill" mode instead of a timed DPS check mode. Imagine fighting stuff like the level 120 enemies with no resurrections. That would be so much more fun of an endgame mode. Groups of stupid enemies with inflated stats just to make you sweat the timers is the antithesis of fun, to me.

I hope to god level 90 stays the max level for a good long time. Building characters in this game is fucking painful.

It was because they changed the layout (most likely preparing for PS5 launch). I just had to reset it and it solved it.

What are you guys thinking about the new event? I'm actually quite surprise lore wise, I think it's pretty cool they revisited a bunch of "old" characters.

And I'm really surprise by the amount of NPC's getting voicelines.

Zhezhi wise, while cute, I'm not a fan of her gameplay style at all, it's an easy skip for me.

Last edited:

Pejo

Pretty cool Male Rover mod:

Hm6RasY.jpeg

I haven't started the event yet, barely time to log in and do dailies/spend stamina. Hope to get to play it tomorrow.

Reactions: Fake
x1

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I gotta say, for a filler patch this is actually a pretty good patch.

The moonlight festival and Xiangli Yao's story is pretty great.

I was honestly planning in starting to catch up with Genshin for Natlan region, but I always end up booting Wuthering Waves instead.

Pejo

I gotta say, for a filler patch this is actually a pretty good patch.

The moonlight festival and Xiangli Yao's story is pretty great.

I was honestly planning in starting to catch up with Genshin for Natlan region, but I always end up booting Wuthering Waves instead.
Yea I did the event yesterday. It was pretty good. Now I'm just on the boring part of grinding out leveling up the stalls. Haven't done Zhezi's quest yet or the new exploration quest.

Pejo

New exploration quest was awesome. Thought provoking too, but the same people that hate reading Genshin text logs aren't gonna get the most out of it. Shame they didn't voice it or at least have little time consoles that played back the scenes instead of just providing text dumps every 5 mins or so.

New Chixia mod is :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:
66c647c4911e0.jpg

66c6470adbfed.jpg

Nankatsu

Gold Member
New exploration quest was awesome. Thought provoking too, but the same people that hate reading Genshin text logs aren't gonna get the most out of it. Shame they didn't voice it or at least have little time consoles that played back the scenes instead of just providing text dumps every 5 mins or so.

New Chixia mod is :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:
66c647c4911e0.jpg

66c6470adbfed.jpg

Damn, that Chixia skin is fantastic.

Does it bother anyone that the wishing stall where you go to manage the Moon chasing festival stuff is in a place which has no clear pathway to get to it? You go up the stairs and it has a stone wall and a broken wooden fence blocking the direct access path and the only area allowing you to get there has grass growing indicating that it has not bee walked over much. That entire area has a stall (which does not sell food items but has tables and chairs for some reason) and a house as well so the architecture is weird (level design in this case). Video for reference.

Pejo

Does it bother anyone that the wishing stall where you go to manage the Moon chasing festival stuff is in a place which has no clear pathway to get to it? You go up the stairs and it has a stone wall and a broken wooden fence blocking the direct access path and the only area allowing you to get there has grass growing indicating that it has not bee walked over much. That entire area has a stall (which does not sell food items but has tables and chairs for some reason) and a house as well so the architecture is weird (level design in this case). Video for reference.

you can teleport directly to it in the map, and there's also two grappling points to get there quickly from the ground. You can see them in the video you posted.

you can teleport directly to it in the map, and there's also two grappling points to get there quickly from the ground. You can see them in the video you posted.

Its not about how we as players access that area but in world how it would be used and the architecture used to build it.

Pejo

Its not about how we as players access that area but in world how it would be used and the architecture used to build it.
Oh lmao, sorry I misunderstood your point.

The world has lots of weird discrepancies like that. Did you ever see the size of the doors and steps compared to the character models?

Nankatsu

Gold Member

Nop, a non issue for me.

Just use the zipline or run along the wall.

Pejo

I accepted it because main city is built like a fort.

Oh I wasn't even talking about Jinzhou, I meant the little huts and stuff you run into in the overworld. But that's something interesting that I didn't think about other than seeing the barrier surrounding the city.

I was looking at the monster designs in the data bank, there's some really cool/otherworldly shit in this game. Like I didn't realize that Dreamless' wings are like a hundred hands reaching out trying to escape the main body.

Also the Aix has a human face under the tip of its head and human hands on long spindly front arms. I looked up the origin of the word aix and it turns out that it was like the progenitor Gorgon in mythology (same species as Medusa).

Kuro doesn't get enough praise for creating some really cool enemy designs. Shame that China has "no blood or grotesque" regulations in video games, I'd love to see what they could do given complete creative freedom. Then again, Black Myth Wukong went a lot further than previously allowed, so maybe restrictions are easing up a bit.

Pejo

Cool thing I saw earlier with Jue echo:

Also, supposedly the new 4* has a QTE ultimate. I'm down to try it out.
8164ifxcmsld1.jpeg

I am really hating the floaty combat with most of the recent 5* female characters. Jinhsi, Changli and then Zhezhi. It makes it difficult to time the dodges and the movement feels less responsive than when characters are grounded. I hope the upcoming Shorekeeper is more grounded.

Pejo

I am really hating the floaty combat with most of the recent 5* female characters. Jinhsi, Changli and then Zhezhi. It makes it difficult to time the dodges and the movement feels less responsive than when characters are grounded. I hope the upcoming Shorekeeper is more grounded.
Totally 100% agree. Jinhsi is anti-fun for me. I do like Changli once you learn her kit, but yea, it's a bit too warpy/fly around for my tastes. The new free guy is a bit more grounded, so I have hope they aren't just flying off the rails with cutscene generator "gameplay".

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Kuro's characters design are really on spot most of the times.

Still, I'll probably skip Shorekeeper. Too similar to Zhezhi in terms of gameplay style from what I've seen.

She's rumoured to be a new healer / buffer like Verina, but better. Since I have Verina I don't think I need another similar character that will take me ages to build.

Z6MfZ6J.jpeg

This dude for a free 5 star is OP and super fun to play.

However, I feel the game needs to start to loosen up a bit in farming. It's taking ages to build characters.

Mostly I just login, do the dailes, farm a domain and bounce.

Last edited:

Pejo

Redeem codes from the livestream:

BLACKSHORES
SHOREKEEPER
FORYOU

Where to enter them:
w0qr9ry0aypd1.jpg

I haven't watched it yet, so I have no idea what was discussed, but apparently we're going from 1.3 to 1.4 and then 2.0, with a whole new nation. Hopefully it's not all CN names and terminology, Jinzhou has been more than enough.

Pejo

So the latest launcher update we just got automatically switches the game to DX12 (opposed to DX11 that it launched with). Seemed fine the few times I ran it, but not any noticeable performance/visual improvements, and it completely breaks mods, so I went back to DX11 post haste.

Funny enough, I think the character designs in this game are good enough to not need mods, but I'm too used to my Punished Rover now that I can't play him as his twig half jacket OG iteration.

Leaks are saying we're about to get flooded with costumes/skins in 2.0 and onward. Starting with Sanhua (free) and then a handful of paid options. Weapon skins too.

Last edited:

Pejo

I dunno if I'll keep posting stuff in here, nobody seems to be reading/replying, but one last post from me. Render of one of the new characters, Lumi.

bq1w0pqw8lqd1.jpeg

Is it too much to ask for a new female character with normal combat movement. Why do they all need to be floaty or slithery or something other than just normal.

Pejo

Is it too much to ask for a new female character with normal combat movement. Why do they all need to be floaty or slithery or something other than just normal.
Xiangli (even though I won't be building him for the foreseeable future) was pretty grounded for his kit, so there's hope. Shorekeeper is over-animated but the core of her kit are her skills anyways so you'll almost never just be attacking with her on-field.

I'm still maining Rover most of the time because of how tight the movesets and controls are. Both iterations are extremely satisfying to play.

Anyways, that new story quest was 10/10 great. Touching, great visuals, different gameplay elements, puzzles, etc. Too bad this is a game for the masses, and they made the puzzles and gameplay so easy. If they gave it teeth like a proper console game it could have been even better. Really happy with this game lately, they're improving it at breakneck speeds compared to the first year of Genshin.

Ended up getting both Shorekeeper and her weapon with F2P resources.

Xiangli (even though I won't be building him for the foreseeable future) was pretty grounded for his kit, so there's hope. Shorekeeper is over-animated but the core of her kit are her skills anyways so you'll almost never just be attacking with her on-field.

I'm still maining Rover most of the time because of how tight the movesets and controls are. Both iterations are extremely satisfying to play.

Anyways, that new story quest was 10/10 great. Touching, great visuals, different gameplay elements, puzzles, etc. Too bad this is a game for the masses, and they made the puzzles and gameplay so easy. If they gave it teeth like a proper console game it could have been even better. Really happy with this game lately, they're improving it at breakneck speeds compared to the first year of Genshin.

Ended up getting both Shorekeeper and her weapon with F2P resources.

Ever since XY released my team has only been him, Rover and Verina. Yeah the puzzles are the most basic crap. I like their enemy designs but kind of feel that all the boss fights are the same and follow just one formula. Parry, dodge, counter, break shield and wail on them with your character rotations until they die. Since there are no element reactions here I am not sure what else they can do. They need to introduce some other mechanic to boss fights to keep thing interesting.

Pejo

Ever since XY released my team has only been him, Rover and Verina. Yeah the puzzles are the most basic crap. I like their enemy designs but kind of feel that all the boss fights are the same and follow just one formula. Parry, dodge, counter, break shield and wail on them with your character rotations until they die. Since there are no element reactions here I am not sure what else they can do. They need to introduce some other mechanic to boss fights to keep thing interesting.
Have you tried those new challenges marked on the map? They're pretty tough. There's one with 3 level 120 bugs that heal each other that I still haven't managed to beat. Not because they hit especially hard, but the healing is outrageous and I don't know how to interrupt it. So there are challenges like that in the game, but it's all gonna be in optional content because they gotta keep peabrains happy and playing the game., which is understandable. I still think it's got one of the best combat systems out of most games released this year. It's incredibly deep if you start using quickswaps to continue combos.

Have you tried those new challenges marked on the map? They're pretty tough. There's one with 3 level 120 bugs that heal each other that I still haven't managed to beat. Not because they hit especially hard, but the healing is outrageous and I don't know how to interrupt it. So there are challenges like that in the game, but it's all gonna be in optional content because they gotta keep peabrains happy and playing the game., which is understandable. I still think it's got one of the best combat systems out of most games released this year. It's incredibly deep if you start using quickswaps to continue combos.

No haven't tried those yet but my point is boss (or elite enemies) fights should not be one template with different enemy who only differ by their looks and moveset. Make some variations like stage interactions impacting some fights, some bosses having other mechanics than shield breaking, equipped echoes having different effect on them etc. They have such a great combat engine with beautiful animations. They just need to mix things up a bit to keep different fights feel different.

Pejo

No haven't tried those yet but my point is boss (or elite enemies) fights should not be one template with different enemy who only differ by their looks and moveset. Make some variations like stage interactions impacting some fights, some bosses having other mechanics than shield breaking, equipped echoes having different effect on them etc. They have such a great combat engine with beautiful animations. They just need to mix things up a bit to keep different fights feel different.
I guess I get what you're saying, but I feel the material bosses have different mechanics already? I mean sure the base mechanics of the shield break and parry and whatever exist, but for bosses you have to farm potentially a hundred times, I wouldn't want them to be too annoying with mechanics like that fucking mecha worm in Genshin that forces every fight to be like 5 mins long because of invulnerability periods. The only ones that feel too similar to me are the Mephis twins. Turtle has breakable parts and the bell mechanic which is unique to it. Scar has the QTE move if you fight him with Rover in your party, etc. For the first year and first few areas of the game, I think they're doing pretty good.

That's why I appreciate these optional encounters that have the unique mechanics and tougher than average challenge levels. They can experiement and push you a bit for people that enjoy that type of thing. Beating the lv 120 Lightcrusher with an underbuilt party of level 80s was a rush when I finally did it.

Played co-op for the first time. So the intro/outro are out the window as you are stuck with one character for each player. That sucks for the combat. With every player using all their flashy moves its really hard to make sense of the enemy position or move. All in all I did not enjoy co-op experience in Wuwa.

Top Bottom