• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

giga

Ice cream sandwiches were just one part of the food they served. Apple are not allowed to serve any foods google has used for their code names.

Ice cream sandwiches were just one part of the food they served. Apple are not allowed to serve any foods google has used for their code names.

Breaking: The next five releases for Android are named after the major food groups: Dairy, Meat, Vegetable, Grains, Sugar.

That ought to shut Apple up.

(On an unrelated note, Apples are barred from all Google campuses)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Apparently Apple handed out Ice Cream Sandwiches at a WWDC bash:

Blzei.png

They really are in full troll mode, aren't they?

Haha. This is brilliant.

yes, how pathetic that they made a tongue-in-cheek joke at a catered party.

next thing you know browser companies will send cakes to each other to celebrate releases.

Because it's a dumb as shit. Just let your product stand for itself instead of taking shots at other people (or companies for that matter). It stokes the fires of fanboyism and I really detest that sort of behaviour. Also: I'm pretty sure subtle trolling of other companies is something they employ at most of their conferences.

giga

Because it's a dumb as shit. Just let your product stand for itself instead of taking shots at other people (or companies for that matter). It stokes the fires of fanboyism and I really detest that sort of behaviour.
You read my post right? They didn't take a shot at anyone. They served food.

Because it's a dumb as shit. Just let your product stand for itself instead of taking shots at other people (or companies for that matter). It stokes the fires of fanboyism and I really detest that sort of behaviour. Also: I'm pretty sure subtle trolling of other companies is something they employ at most of their conferences.

Because Microsoft having a public funeral for the iPhone was so classy.

DcLgb.jpg

It's the computer tech world. They all do this sorta stuff.

numble

Ice cream sandwiches are a great treat for a summer bash. Very tasty.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So I got my Mac Air yesterday. Compared to my Sony VAIO laptop, which was top of the line two years ago or so (aka extremely old), holy cow. This thing is amazing.

Still trying to get the hang of the Mac OS. It's so fast!

MrMephistoX

Mission accomplished, selling the iMac and getting the retina pro...had to agree with the wife to sell my 360 as well but the MBP is quite a bit more powerful anyway and I have a PS3 so I'm totally cool with it. So excited for the workday to end so I can head to the apple store.

Alchemy

Mission accomplished, selling the iMac and getting the retina pro...had to agree with the wife to sell my 360 as well but the MBP is quite a bit more powerful anyway and I have a PS3 so I'm totally cool with it. So excited for the workday to end so I can head to the apple store.

It might be more powerful for general tasks but I'm not sure you'll be doing much gaming beyond what was capable on the 360, especially anywhere close to native resolution. Probably a kick ass machine (I need to go to an Apple store to check it out in person), but I wouldn't be able to justify selling a game console for it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It might be more powerful for general tasks but I'm not sure you'll be doing much gaming beyond what was capable on the 360, especially anywhere close to native resolution. Probably a kick ass machine (I need to go to an Apple store to check it out in person), but I wouldn't be able to justify selling a game console for it.
650M will literally destroy X360 in 720p or 1080p resolutions, assumed the same game is played, and you attach it to a TV (which is now trivial considering that HDMI port is on it). 650M is equivalent to a 5750 or 5770 AMD, which is what I have, and yeah, that destroys consoles running at same resolution.

Hell, Intel 4000 is probably somewhat better than the consoles on it's own. In my 2010 MBA, I have Nvidia 320M, which is slighly better than Intel 3000, and that thing runs multiplatform games about the same as consoles do (720p, 30FPS)

Alchemy

650M will literally destroy X360 in 720p or 1080p resolutions, assumed the same game is played, and you attach it to a TV (which is now trivial considering that HDMI port is on it). 650M is equivalent to a 5750 or 5770 AMD, which is what I have, and yeah, that destroys consoles running at same resolution.

Hell, Intel 4000 is probably somewhat better than the consoles on it's own. In my 2010 MBA, I have Nvidia 320M, which is slighly better than Intel 3000, and that thing runs multiplatform games about the same as consoles do (720p, 30FPS)

Raw numbers sure, but PCs always under perform raw numbers significantly because of driver issues, OS over head, and heat (specifically with laptops). It is no mystery that console games are better optimized for their target hardware either. I highly doubt the Air (even the new one) compares evenly to the 360 or PS3.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Raw numbers sure, but PCs always under perform raw numbers significantly because of driver issues, OS over head, and heat (specifically with laptops). It is no mystery that console games are better optimized for their target hardware either. I highly doubt the Air (even the new one) compares evenly to the 360 or PS3.
In multiplatform games, I can almost guarantee you that it does. I didn't try much, but I tried Portal 2, HL2:Ep2, Braid, Limbo, Trine 2. They all ran at least as good on it in 720p that they do on consoles. That's on 2010 MBA with 320M.

On new MBP with 650M, Diablo 3 runs at unstable 30FPS in 2880x1800 resolution, and ~60-100FPS (depending on settings) in 1440x900

iLfnD6eVxmUM9.jpg

color gamut after the new Retina Display was calibrated with Lacie Blue Eyes Pro.

Apparently, this display is managing only about 70% of the RGB gamut. Roughly the same as last year's, with poorer greens. better contrast and black levels, which we already knew.

DreamColor 2 competitor this is not. :-(

kehs

Banned
iLfnD6eVxmUM9.jpg

color gamut after the new Retina Display was calibrated with Lacie Blue Eyes Pro.

Apparently, this display is managing only about 70% of the RGB gamut. Roughly the same as last year's, with poorer greens. better contrast and black levels, which we already knew.

That's pretty much the limit for regular lcd devices.

Happen to have a link to the results btw?

Alchemy

In multiplatform games, I can almost guarantee you that it does. I didn't try much, but I tried Portal 2, HL2:Ep2, Braid, Limbo, Trine 2. They all ran at least as good on it in 720p that they do on consoles. That's on 2010 MBA with 320M.

On new MBP with 650M, Diablo 3 runs at unstable 30FPS in 2880x1800 resolution, and ~60-100FPS (depending on settings) in 1440x900

Diablo 3 isn't exactly that intensive a game (and you should be running it at 1080p minimum), and is also not a console game. Braid and Limbo are 2D games, and Portal 2 and HL2:Ep2 are both Source engine games. Can't really speak for Trine 2, but none of those come close to games like Max Payne 3 on either console, or even the Bro of Duty games.

Not that I'm an advocate for the horsepower of the HD twins as I do most of my gaming on my desktop, but they're not as bad as many PC gamers claim. They might dip under 720p to squeeze more out of their pixel shaders, but the games still look good. You have to have an extremely beefy laptop to 'crush' either two and not melt in the process.

That's just fucking stupid, amazing how much tech companies have these guys on a leash

Any company that as public visibility with their products tends to have people like this. You either get the smug Leads that attempt to trivialize the competition in silly ways to sell their products or the regular employees who can only cope with their job by drinking the kool-aid effectively brain washing themselves. You get people that become fans of specific products instead of the industry, anyone who is actually interested in technology (or anything for that matter) should be interested in seeing what the competition can produce so they as well can enjoy it.

rozay

Banned
iLfnD6eVxmUM9.jpg

who cares about gamut when you have all those pixels amirite

Diablo 3 isn't exactly that intensive a game (and you should be running it at 1080p minimum), and is also not a console game. Braid and Limbo are 2D games, and Portal 2 and HL2:Ep2 are both Source engine games. Can't really speak for Trine 2, but none of those come close to games like Max Payne 3 on either console, or even the Bro of Duty games.

Not that I'm an advocate for the horsepower of the HD twins as I do most of my gaming on my desktop, but they're not as bad as many PC gamers claim. They might dip under 720p to squeeze more out of their pixel shaders, but the games still look good. You have to have an extremely beefy laptop to 'crush' either two and not melt in the process.

Speaking of the 'Bro of duty' games, the 650m can play MW3 at 1080p with Max settings, I would class that as 'crushing' the HD twins.

Alchemy

Speaking of the 'Bro of duty' games, the 650m can play MW3 at 1080p with Max settings, I would class that as 'crushing' the HD twins.

At 30 FPS? Would like to see those benchmarks, not that I don't believe it. I'm sure that at 1080p the MBR can beat the HD Twins, but I would be concerned about heat still. As long as the MBR avoids trying to do native res gaming it should be fine.

I still don't believe the Air with an HD4000 is going to manage that well in comparison. I would be pleasantly surprised seeing as I ordered an 11 inch, but I did so expecting nothing close to a gaming machine unless I wanted to get in some Diablo 2.

That's pretty much the limit for regular lcd devices.
Hell no sir, there are most certainly LCD laptop displays that do much better gamut coverage than this.

HP Elitebook (100%), Dell Precision (100%), Dell Studio XPS 16 (96%), Sony Vaio Z (96%), the old Sony AW series (137%), and some others. All laptops in the same price range. 70% is pretty average these days, to be frank. Certainly not among the best LCD displays. The contrast and black levels will make most people feel good about it (as they should)...but great for designers and photographers it isn't. But no, 70% is not "about the limit" for good lcd devices in today's laptops.

I personally owned the Sony AW290J and let me tell you...I still miss that laptop. Most glorious screen I've ever laid eyes on. Movies looked simply spectacular. Unfortunately, Sony kept fucking up repairs, so they eventually gave me a full refund...a full year later. Much respect to them for the repair, but I'd rather been able to keep the laptop (the line was phased out that year).

Happen to have a link to the results btw?
just a guy's personal color calibration equipment on another forum. if you have a pro color calibration device and access to one of these Retina Macs, do test it yourself. the more confirmation, the better.

who cares about gamut when you have all those pixels amirite

I do. Color accuracy > contrast :(

At 30 FPS? Would like to see those benchmarks, not that I don't believe it. I'm sure that at 1080p the MBR can beat the HD Twins, but I would be concerned about heat still.
First of all, my 2011 MBP runs the CoD games at 60fps so why wouldn't the 650M-based systems? Walk in the park.

Secondly, heat is NOT a worry. I've been running my MBP overclocked for 2 years. Over-heating issues? None. It gets hot because Macbook Pros get hot. Is it a problem for the components? Nope.

giga

Hell no sir, there are most certainly LCD laptop displays that do much better gamut coverage than this.

HP Elitebook (100%), Dell Precision (100%), Dell Studio XPS 16 (96%), Sony Vaio Z (96%), the old Sony AW series (137%), and some others. All laptops in the same price range. 70% is pretty average these days, to be frank. Certainly not among the best LCD displays. The contrast and black levels will make most people feel good about it (as they should)...but great for designers and photographers it isn't. But no, 70% is not "about the limit" for good lcd devices in today's laptops.

I personally owned the Sony AW290J and let me tell you...I still miss that laptop. Most glorious screen I've ever laid eyes on. Movies looked simply spectacular. Unfortunately, Sony kept fucking up repairs, so they eventually gave me a full refund...a full year later. Much respect to them for the repair, but I'd rather been able to keep the laptop (the line was phased out that year).

just a guy's personal color calibration equipment on another forum. if you have a pro color calibration device and access to one of these Retina Macs, do test it yourself. the more confirmation, the better.

I do. Color accuracy > contrast :(

First of all, my 2011 MBP runs the CoD games at 60fps so why wouldn't the 650M-based systems? Walk in the park.

Secondly, heat is NOT a worry. I've been running my MBP overclocked for 2 years. Over-heating issues? None. It gets hot because Macbook Pros get hot. Is it a problem for the components? Nope.
What gamut are we talking about here? sRGB? Adobe RGB? Considering that the new display is IPS, I'd imagine it'd cover about 100% of sRGB like the new iPad and 70% of Adobe RGB.

Alchemy

Assuming thats all max at 1080p, good to know. I'm actually curious what a 1080p image looks like on the MBR. Need to drag myself to an Apple Store.

So it doesn't "over heat", it just gets extremely hot? I still find that troubling, but I also get worried when any of my electronics start belching out heat. How warm does the keyboard area get?

Blackhead

Redarse
So it doesn't "over heat", it just gets extremely hot? I still find that troubling, but I also get worried when any of my electronics start belching out heat. How warm does the keyboard area get?
The Verge review:
the heat was in the ballpark of what we’d expect from our personal 2011 MacBook Pro. Which is to say, hot — particularly the metal rim around the ‘U’ key, which is about where the processor rests internally. It's hard to touch for more than a few seconds.

Did I word it funny? Macbook Pros get hot, but it's not a concern.

People coming from PCs think that if shit hits 50C, something is wrong. Macbook Pros can (and do) hang out in the 90C range under load and it's not unusual at all. Macs get hot, but it's not a problem. Shit won't melt down. It may get a little loud, but that's about it.

What gamut are we talking about here? sRGB? Adobe RGB? Considering that the new display is IPS, I'd imagine it'd cover about 100% of sRGB like the new iPad and 70% of Adobe RGB.
Adobe RGB. always Adobe RGB.

the laptops I mentioned all cover 95%-137% of the Adobe RGB spectrum. 65%-70% on a laptop with a "pro" moniker is decidedly low, in my opinion. Not bad; just not as good as we should be able to expect.

Remember the MacBook Air, it had this amazing form factor but such shitty battery life and specs. MacBook Pro Retina amazing specs amazing form factor knock it out of the park. I wonder why Apple put out the Air so early before the hardware was ready for it? It came out in 2008

giga

People coming from PCs think that if shit hits 50C, something is wrong. Macbook Pros can (and do) hang out in the 90C range under load and it's not unusual at all. Macs get hot, but it's not a problem. Shit won't melt down. It may get a little loud, but that's about it.

Adobe RGB. always Adobe RGB.

the laptops I mentioned all cover 95%-137% of the Adobe RGB spectrum. 65%-70% on a laptop with a "pro" moniker is decidedly low, in my opinion. Not bad; just not as good as we should be able to expect.
And some of those pro laptops are using TN panels, even with 100% adobe rgb coverage. I know about the dreamcolor and premiercolor upgrades that HP and Dell offer, but those are usually $500+ optional upgrades.

Edit: I just tried to configure a quad core elitebook with dreamcolor and in addition to adding $500 to the price, they said to upgrade the power adapter to one that's 50 watts more. That increase in power consumption is not viable at all if they want to keep the 7 hour battery.

Remember the MacBook Air, it had this amazing form factor but such shitty battery life and specs. MacBook Pro Retina amazing specs amazing form factor knock it out of the park. I wonder why Apple put out the Air so early before the hardware was ready for it? It came out in 2008
We talked about this on the Tested podcast this week. I think they are kinda analogous actually. The very first-gen MBA was positioned as kind of a prestige forward-looking product not really aimed at the mass market, as the price at the time clearly indicated. I think the MBP-R is a similar product now - too pricey for the mass market but clearly a flagship product indicative of where Apple thinks the laptop market is going. They were right with the Air, as it clearly precipitated a flood of super-thin laptop competitors and helped create a whole new segment. And I think the MBP-R will do the same, with super-HD displays becoming the next new trend that everyone will chase. The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

Alchemy

90C? Holy jebus keep that thing on a desk.

rozay

Banned

I asked this question earlier but I don't think anyone answered, what kind of longevity do the batteries have when they're sealed and non-user replaceable and the laptop gets this hot? At least with other laptops you can just purchase a new battery later, I'm assuming you won't get a replacement if the battery craps out after a year without applecare?

Sanjuro

I asked this question earlier but I don't think anyone answered, what kind of longevity do the batteries have when they're sealed and non-user replaceable and the laptop gets this hot? At least with other laptops you can just purchase a new battery later, I'm assuming you won't get a replacement if the battery craps out after a year without applecare?

The non-replaceable unibody batteries are the same cost as the replaceable batteries.

$129

With or without AppleCare, the batteries are normally covered under the one year. In some cases they will replace past that point with AppleCare, but not often.

Alchemy

The non-replaceable unibody batteries are the same cost as the replaceable batteries.

$129

With or without AppleCare, the batteries are normally covered under the one year. In some cases they will replace past that point with AppleCare, but not often.

$129 covers the installation and the battery or just the battery? I think people are worried that they can't just buy a cheaper battery option and slap it in themselves.

giga

1000 cycles. About a 5 year life.

$129 covers the installation and the battery or just the battery? I think people are worried that they can't just buy a cheaper battery option and slap it in themselves.
http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

It runs Diablo III at native res. That's all I care about

Same as Iphone 6? Itouch tends to be a year behend in spec upgrades...no?

If the new Touch does not have a dual core of some sort along with a minimum of 1GB of ram, I will be sorely disappointed. The lack of ram really kills the current Touch (just like the iPad 1) And it won't be the same specs as the iPhone. The iPhone will still have a better screen, 4G, NFC, GPS, ect. Also it would be nice if it started at 16GB of storage, and Siri.

Top Bottom