• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Guess Who

Banned
oKFDFRv.png

Guys, what font is this? It's not Helvetica Neue UltraLight.

It's Myriad Pro but with a custom weight right?

Yep, it's a light weight of their internal Myriad variant, Myriad Set.

jts

...hate me...
My wishlist. Throwing in everything and the kitchen sink.

Keychain Access
Better Safari iCloud features (forms sync, keychain sync, history sync, etc)
Omnibar for iOS Safari, jesus christ it's about time
Widgets of some sort, yes
Native/App Store VNC/ScreenSharing client app by Apple
Tighter local (bluetooth and/or wifi) sync between devices. Answer phone call on Mac, iPad if you must. Same for text messages. Any text message, not only iMessages.
Let me attach files starting from the mail client dammit. And not only pictures. Holy hell.
Smart keyboard detection.
Setting default apps.
More shortcuts on the home screen. Contacts and other shit.
1 or 2 customizable shortcuts on the lock screen besides the camera. Flashlight comes to mind.
Siri has so much to improve, down to recognition of stuff. It's just very dumb as off now. Let it be able to learn. Yes, Siri, you know that album I'm always listening to. Don't become Voice Control 2.0.
Lazors.
Deeper integration of 3rd party stuff. Open your APIs more Apple.

I'm sure I'll remember more stuff. Apple will probably address one or two of these if we're lucky.

Yep, it's a light weight of their internal Myriad variant, Myriad Set.
Thanks!

muddream

Banned
i have a macbook pro 17 late 2009 model i think. core 2 due 2.8.

with 100Gig SSD and 8 GIG of RAM

the laptop is super fast for me which is why i didn't change it yet.

i really want to get the mac OSX 10.9.

i wonder, do you people think my system will support it ? or i will be left out -_-

Is an (un)educated guess really that helpful less than a day before the answer is revealed?

Fuchsdh

Keychain Access
Tighter local (bluetooth and/or wifi) sync between devices. Answer phone call on Mac, iPad if you must. Same for text messages. Any text message, not only iMessages.
Let me attach files starting from the mail client dammit. And not only pictures. Holy hell.
Setting default apps.
1 or 2 customizable shortcuts on the lock screen besides the camera. Flashlight comes to mind.
Siri has so much to improve, down to recognition of stuff. It's just very dumb as off now. Let it be able to learn. Yes, Siri, you know that album I'm always listening to. Don't become Voice Control 2.0.
Lazors.

I'm sure I'll remember more stuff. Apple will probably address one or two of these if we're lucky.

Thanks!

The omnibar is IMO a horrible, unfriendly design decision I'd love for Safari to backtrack on.

jts

...hate me...
The omnibar is IMO a horrible, unfriendly design decision I'd love for Safari to backtrack on.
Really? I find my self every so often typing search terms in the URL bar on my iPad.

Maybe there could be a toggle in the settings to enable/disable it, but that would be asking way too much.

EmSeta

Keychain Access
Setting default apps.
Lazors.

Thanks!

These are all good suggestions. Wouldn't hold my breath for most of them, though.

Fuchsdh

Really? I find my self every so often typing search terms in the URL bar on my iPad.

Maybe there could be a toggle in the settings to enable/disable it, but that would be asking way too much.
My issue is that without search bar integration it was much easier to type in partial URLs or keywords from bookmarks and get to the right page. Now I have to double-check the field to make sure it's doing what I want it to.

Now, on iPads and iPhones it's not as easy as just tabbing to get to the search bar, but on OS X I feel like it's hobbling me.

Sean

Banned
Leak from WSJ, confirms flatter design rumors and iRadio. Also a way to share photos and videos.

The new design abandons Apple's longtime approach of designing icons and apps to resemble real-life objects, like address books and fabric, in favor of plain solid backgrounds and more white space, these people said.

Mr. Jobs pushed the original look to help people understand how to use their iPhones when the device came out in 2007, said people involved in the decision at the time. Mr. Jobs died in October 2011. Internally, employees have for years worried that the iPhone's look has become outdated and has a growing number of inconsistencies.

The new iOS will also include new ways to share photos and videos with other iPhone users and other enhancements, these people said. The company is also expected to announce a long-expected streaming-music service, new laptops and an update to its Mac operating system.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324798904578531661685819892.html?mod=rss_Technology

Volotaire

They should really make it live streamed. Never understood why they don't.

Anyways Microsoft would have priority over this if it was.

Ive is actually at WWDC, and I dont mean just in a video? Megaton

I think all of the SVPs are there in the crowd usually (along with formers like Bertrand Serlet, though I doubt Scott Forstall will be there). Jony doesn't like talking in front of crowds, so if he does a thing it'll be a pretty big deal. His being there early likely means some involvement, though. I can only remember his being on stage when the unibody MacBook Pros were first announced and he passed around a chassis.

dream

It would be nice if Jony does the iOS presentation. Hair Force One works best in small, OS X covered doses.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think all of the SVPs are there in the crowd usually (along with formers like Bertrand Serlet, though I doubt Scott Forstall will be there). Jony doesn't like talking in front of crowds, so if he does a thing it'll be a pretty big deal. His being there early likely means some involvement, though. I can only remember his being on stage when the unibody MacBook Pros were first announced and he passed around a chassis.
I was joking mostly. I know the SVPs are all at these things and that Ive rarely speaks in front of audiences.

Talon

It's sort of goofy how Forstall is only thought of as the skeumorphism guy when the Safari project and iOS as a whole doesn't happen Sioux his influence.

Really interesting to hear about his pivotal role in the company in the last decade on that iMore podcast about Safari.

hirokazu

He makes those points in the most pretentious smug way imaginable
I didn't read that as pretentious. If what he says is true, I like it. I want to be surprised at the keynotes again, rather than knowing all the major stuff through leaks beforehand.

So nothing new.

The sharing photos and videos is probably AirDrop which was already rumoured.
Yeah that sounds like AirDrop. At least it solidifies what we do know as likely to be happening.

I wonder how this lines up with "what you've heard about iOS 7 is wrong" though. If I would guess, I would think skeuomorphism is still around where it makes sense rather than being obliterated completely.

I'm in the camp who believe skeuomorphism isn't the polar opposite of flat design and it isn't necessarily the enemy everybody makes of it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hope i'm not the only one who would be disappointed if this ios7 "reskin" is just some changed icons and swapping some of the ui chrome textures and colors. I haven't liked any of the skeuomorph thus far and I'm glad they are moving away from that, but I'm hoping we see some deeper changes.

My iPhone's body is ready for a software upgrade.

It's sort of goofy how Forstall is only thought of as the skeumorphism guy when the Safari project and iOS as a whole doesn't happen Sioux his influence.

Really interesting to hear about his pivotal role in the company in the last decade on that iMore podcast about Safari.

I don't listen to iMore, but I've enjoyed Don Melton on both of his Debug appearances with Rene and Guy. Were those episodes just shared to both podcasts or do I have more to listen to?

I hope we get a fair take on Scott's role as well as the full dynamics of NeXT -> Apple transition that was lacking for me in the Jobs bio. NeXT through Apple 2007 is something I'm looking forward to reading about once NDAs expire and feelings aren't so raw. I feel like I know very little about Avie—probably should read the copy of "Steve Jobs & the NeXT Big Thing" that I've had hanging around my bookshelf for a decade, but I realize that only covers the early 90s.

So it has TouchWiz colors?

I think it's determined those are just some doofus with Photoshop. As far as anyone is aware, no visual leaks so far. We might actually be surprised for the first time in a while.

LCfiner

Only one more sleep left.

My predictions, so I can score myself later. Or for eating crow.

Widget API ( they remain in NC)
NC improvements with better hit targets
More multitasking APIs for background downloading or other tasks.
Since Cook mentioned opening up of APIs I expect that we'll see iOS 7 allow apps to access more system level stuff. Doubt he'd say it only to have it waiting for iOS 8 or later. So one example could be using the faster rendering of built in safari for third party browsers.
More Siri services
More Maps database partners and a statement about better poi results
A better way for apps to share documents and have one document be edited by multiple apps without needing to make copies of that doc.

Plus the style redesign, sharing seevices and the iradio stuff.

Aside from the current Mac OS leaks (finder tabs, proper full screen multimonitor support) I really have no idea what to expect. Well, I guess a similar UI skinning with less linen and leather.

Plus updates to the macbook pros, airs and I'll say the mac pro, too.

jstripes

Banned
Hey guys if you want in on the inevitable beta of iOS 7 tomorrow could you please PM me your UDID and I will add them all at once tomorrow morning until I have no space left.

First come first served. One UDID per GAFer.

At the risk of missing out, I'll wait to see what they have tomorrow and if it's in stable enough shape.

(Also, I heard they might be moving away from UDID registration for betas after iOS6.)

Ive is funny in the sales videos they make because he comes off just as pretentious as you'd expect from someone in his role, but in his personal appearances he's been charming because you can tell he's a shy nerd who's just really fucking good at design. He should show up to talk about the decisions behind the new look and feel, even if it's brief.

If I get these, I'll be happy:

Default apps, including all apps having the same abilities and features as Apple's stock apps

Centralized storage with metadata to determine which files can be used by which apps

Ability to get rid of stock apps (even if it's a hacky solution in parental controls)

Sync between Notification Center and apps across all devices, and even within the same device (like if you open an app and see the content that was involved in the push notification, the notification should disappear from the tray)

Timed background download API

dream

All I really want is a more robust iCloud that addresses the primary reasons developers have for not using it.

Quick

Banned
Yeah. You know. Those things that have been in the Notification Center since it was released? Weather and Stocks? Let's hope they opened the API to allow other apps to put stuff there.

Really itching to get an RSS feed or something in there without jailbreaking.

Somnid

I only want a few things for iOS:

-Better Keyboard. Just pay Swype the licensing fee, I can't deal with the tiny button typing.
-Get rid of the search input on Safari, all other browsers have gotten rid of this because it wastes space, even moreso on mobile, please follow suit.
-Chromeless Safari in portrait mode. Dunno why you can only do this in landscape. Again stop wasting space.
-Ability to clear badges. This is something everyone who uses badges could do but doesn't, not just Apple. I don't read every email so my count keeps growing, I don't listen to every podcast so the count grows, just let me swipe over it to clear it or something.

For OSX:

-Basically neither the software or hardware supports touch interfaces. It's happening with or without them but for my next notebook/ultrabook/whatever it's a basic expectation. Especially for developers you'd think they'd put it in there.

Appleman

I only want a few things for iOS:

-Better Keyboard. Just pay Swype the licensing fee, I can't deal with the tiny button typing.
-Get rid of the search input on Safari, all other browsers have gotten rid of this because it wastes space, even moreso on mobile, please follow suit.
-Chromeless Safari in portrait mode. Dunno why you can only do this in landscape. Again stop wasting space.
-Ability to clear badges. This is something everyone who uses badges could do but doesn't, not just Apple. I don't read every email so my count keeps growing, I don't listen to every podcast so the count grows, just let me swipe over it to clear it or something.

For OSX:

-Basically neither the software or hardware supports touch interfaces. It's happening with or without them but for my next notebook/ultrabook/whatever it's a basic expectation. Especially for developers you'd think they'd put it in there.

Get ready for disappointment, only the safari search and maybe the portrait fullscreen even has a chance of happening, and even still might not due to the search and URL keyboards being different

Top Bottom