• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE All Stars |OT| No Yukes allowed

AIRic

RBH said:
Confirmed roster so far:

The Million Dollar Man (GameStop Exclusive)
Ted Dibiase (GameStop Exclusive)

Ted Dibiase without the Million Dollar Man gimmick as a exclusive? Must be an error.

Bii

It looks fun. I'm certain it won't be a deep fighter but for something to pick-up-and-play, it'll be a nice diversion.

Ninja Scooter said:
And now that Macho Man is back does that mean Vince forgives him for boning his 14 year old daughter?

LOL I love how everyone in WWE apparently believes that mostly because no one can think of any other reason and it's been around for so long.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
AIRic said:
Ted Dibiase without the Million Dollar Man gimmick as a exclusive? Must be an error.
Maybe a typo and they forgot to append "Jr" at the end?

Otherwise I can't see the appeal for getting Ted DiBiase pre-MDM, he wasn't really with WWF that long for his first stint.

I think I'll stick with LoW and give this a pass, my created Macho Man is good enough, especially since they let you import your own music for entrances.

2Z66T.gif

XiaNaphryz said:
Maybe a typo and they forgot to append "Jr" at the end?

Otherwise I can't see the appeal for getting Ted DiBiase pre-MDM, he wasn't really with WWF that long for his first stint.

I think I'll stick with LoW and give this a pass, my created Macho Man is good enough, especially since they let you import your own music for entrances.

2Z66T.gif
I thought Ted jr got rid of the jr and just goes by Ted DiBiase now.

XiaNaphryz

canadian crowe said:
I thought Ted jr got rid of the jr and just goes by Ted DiBiase now.
Could very well be the case - you'd think you would need to make the a if you're going to include both him and his father on the same roster.

Ted Dibiase Jr. doesn't have Jr. in his name. It's a dumb WWE policy. He's just Ted Dibiase on the shows, even though that's what his far more famous father went by too. It's idiotic, but that's modern day WWE for you.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Sho_Nuff82 said:
A fighting game with 12 characters has 2 retailer-exclusive fighters?

Should be an XBLA game, suck my dick.
Confirmed roster so far. Game will have far more than 12 characters it seems. But arcade-y game means the "SHOULD BE ON XBLA/PSN" meme comes out.

I don't think I'll be dropping $60 on this with all the other insane shit coming out this year (and how fast WWE games seem to drop in price) but it seems like it will be fun.

BloodySinner said:
THQ is still exploiting this license?

They have 4 WWE games in development right now. Smackdown, Smackdown Online (China only), WWE All Stars and an unnamed arcade wrestling game.

DrDogg

I'm writing the strategy guide for this one and have been playing the game for a couple of months now. I can't say much about it due to NDA and all of that, but I just wanted to point out that this preview has several errors. Almost seems like the writer watched a quick demo of the game, then wrote this preview.

Having written the SvR 2011 guide as well, I can say this game is deeper than SvR when looking at it from a fighting game standpoint. I'm having fun with it and I haven't been a huge WWE fan since The Rock was around.

[shameless plug]

There's enough depth in this game that each wrestler section in the guide is currently clocking in at about 6-10 pages each. There's also no in-game move list, so having the guide for this one will come in handy for people who don't want to figure everything out themselves.

There will be two different types of players for this game, just like you have in a fighting game. You'll have the casuals that just play for fun, and the more hardcore players who break the game down and destroy the casuals because they know the game so much better. I don't think that's something you can really say about SvR, but it is something you can say about most fighting games.

[/shameless plug]

I think this game is a step in the right direction and reminds me somewhat of the old WWF arcade game that was in arcades and was a PS1 launch title.

DrDogg said:
Having written the SvR 2011 guide as well, I can say this game is deeper than SvR when looking at it from a fighting game standpoint. I'm having fun with it and I haven't been a huge WWE fan since The Rock was around.
Please tell me this game doesn't have ridiculous fighting game controls. You know the shit I'm talking about: Left, Left, Right, Up, Button, Button. That may be okay for Street Fighter, but it has no place in a wrestling game. Please tell me it's not like that. Please!!!

DrDogg

DaBargainHunta said:
Please tell me this game doesn't have ridiculous fighting game controls. You know the shit I'm talking about: Left, Left, Right, Up, Button, Button. That may be okay for Street Fighter, but it has no place in a wrestling game. Please tell me it's not like that. Please!!!

Um... it's still a wrestling game. I don't even think those controls would be functional in a wrestling game. Well, maybe a 2D wrestling game I guess.

DrDogg said:
Um... it's still a wrestling game. I don't even think those controls would be functional in a wrestling game. Well, maybe a 2D wrestling game I guess.

You scared me by comparing it to the old WWF arcade/PSone launch game, which did have those controls.

Would it be possible for you to describe the controls to us without breaking any NDAs?

Also, can you confirm that this does have more than just the 12 or so people announced? I understand you're bound by an NDA, so I'm not asking for any names or anything like that.

Striker

DrDogg said:
There will be two different types of players for this game, just like you have in a fighting game. You'll have the casuals that just play for fun, and the more hardcore players who break the game down and destroy the casuals because they know the game so much better. I don't think that's something you can really say about SvR, but it is something you can say about most fighting games.
You mean those who grief and use the most exploitable moves and spam them to death? Surely that's in SvR and has been for years. I can't see myself picking All Stars up, but I am curious how different it is.

DrDogg said:

That's kind of how the old WWE Akklaim games played.

DrDogg

DaBargainHunta said:
You scared me by comparing it to the old WWF arcade/PSone launch game, which did have those controls.

Would it be possible for you to describe the controls to us without breaking any NDAs?

Also, can you confirm that this does have more than just the 12 or so people announced? I understand you're bound by an NDA, so I'm not asking for any names or anything like that.

I can't go into details on anything, but I can talk about the guide. Unfortunately, that doesn't allow me to discuss the controls, but you shouldn't worry about anything.

Also, I believe the preview in the OP states that the roster listed is simply the roster "so far" or at the very least "not final". I'm just quoting the preview though, I can't comment on my own experience with the game.

Striker said:
You mean those who grief and use the most exploitable moves and spam them to death? Surely that's in SvR and has been for years. I can't see myself picking All Stars up, but I am curious how different it is.

Well, in SvR most of the wrestlers are pretty much identical. A strat that worked with one wrestler worked with almost every wrestler in some form. So while "good" players spammed those strategies, even a novice player could easily pick up on them and copy that strategy.

This isn't the case with fighting games like Tekken or SF, and it isn't the case with All Stars... which is why you need the strategy guide. ;) In all seriousness though, I've broken down each character fairly in-depth to the point where the guide is over 200 pages with 80% of it being the character chapter. I can't say the same thing about SvR 2011. Not to bash SvR, I think it's a great game for WWE fans, just that I think the strategy guide for this game is far more valuable from a multiplayer stand point (the SvR guide had a lot of technical info that you can't find elsewhere).

Degen

Sho_Nuff82 said:
A fighting game with 12 characters has 2 retailer-exclusive fighters?

Should be an XBLA game, suck my dick.
Yeah, I sorta thought that was true about Blazblue at first for pretty much the same reason, but then I bought the game...

...so now I know it's true.

NOW HIT MY MUSIC

HI8iO.jpg

XiaNaphryz

DrDogg said:
I'm writing the strategy guide for this one and have been playing the game for a couple of months now. I can't say much about it due to NDA and all of that, but I just wanted to point out that this preview has several errors. Almost seems like the writer watched a quick demo of the game, then wrote this preview.
IGN inaccurate? Why I never!

Carnby

Oni Link 666 said:
That's kind of how the old WWE Akklaim games played.

let's not confuse the two.

This is a *good arcade wrestling game that was ported by Acclaim.
(WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game)
wwfarcade.jpg

This is a shitty rip off of the good arcade wrestling game.
WWF In Your House
wwfinyourhouse.jpg

wwf_wrestlemania_the_arcade_flyer_super.jpg

*the coin op version was the best version to play. the PS1 and PC version were pretty good too. All other versions were just as bad as In Your House.

DiddyBop

sounded like fun but then i checked out one of the gameplay vids. does the game o that slow mo thing for every single move? hopefully there is an option to turn that effect off. if so me and my friends will buy this
after it hits 20 dollars in the bargain bins
for sure!

walkthrough is up:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/characters-wwe-all-stars/709416

looks like 30 total (15 legends 15 all stars)

and then 2 shadowed spots (random character? or DLC character for each "side"?)

the actually gameplay looks fun (in a powerstone / def jam:ffny / fighter style), with a splash of wrestling in it (grappling, jumping off ropes, fighting in a ring, having to pin the opponent)

It looks a lot better to me than what they attempted with the Legends of Wrestlemania combat, and with Sal Divita behind it I hope he can bring it that old school nba jam, mortal kombat, wrestlemania the arcade game fun factor.

RBH

New videos

Gameplay walkthrough - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/characters-wwe-all-stars/709416
Greatest Wrestling Matches trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tto3hsp1cs
Interview with Sal DiVita - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z7HleLHQFI

Hands-on preview

Before we get another Smackdown vs Raw, THQ is going to be delivering an over-the-top, arcade-style wrestling game in the way of WWE All Stars. This WWE game is about getting into the action fast with twitch-like controls and overly stylized moves.

You'll likely recognize a lot of the moves, but expect a very cartoon-y result. Imagine The Big Show power bombing someone which then results in the opponent getting launched 12 feet into the air from the impact. You can even juggle others like in traditional fighting games (e.g., Street Fighter).

There are around 31 wrestlers that will be in WWE All Stars, and so far, THQ has shown off Ricky Steamboat, Bret Hart, The Rock, Triple H, John Cena, Andre the Giant, The Big Show, Kofi Kingston, Rey Mysterio, John Morrison, Sheamus and Randy "The Macho Man" Savage. Two additional characters -- Million-Dollar Man and Ted Dibiase Jr. -- will be available exclusively through GameStop pre-orders.

All of the fighters are split up into four categories: acrobat, big man, brawler and grappler. Don't expect the wrestlers to have the same moves just because they're in the same category, either. Someone like Shamus will have a completely different play style in comparison to someone like Bret Hart.

Only one game mode was shown off -- a simple one-vs-one gametype. There will be up to four-player support that we'll hear more about at a later date. We were at least told to expect a wrestler creator system, downloadable content and multiple modes including one called "Fantasy Warfare" where players pick between WWE Legends or WWE Superstars to see who the greatest (virtual) fighter of all time is.

Controls were pretty simple from what I tried out on the Xbox 360. Y is assigned to your strong strike, X is for a quick strike, B is a strong grapple and A is for a quick grapple. Combos can be performed and a different move will happen depending on which direction the joystick is pushed with the button presses.

Players have an energy meter that allows them to use four different signature moves for each wrestler (The Rock's "Rock Bottom," for example.) These meters fill up faster the more a player uses different techniques. Performing these signature moves is done with a combo of either the X + A or Y + B buttons. These special moves also cause all of the action to go into very cheesy slow-motion.

Along with the energy meter is the Finishing Meter which is activated by pressing the left and right bumper together at the same time. A player can activate the Finishing Meter once it's filled up and if they connect, it's over; the opponent is knocked out.

On the defense side, players will be able to counter grapples/reversals with the left bumper and block/counter strikes with the right trigger. It's kind of a guessing game as you're not sure if the player is going for a strike or attempting to grapple. Everything can be reversed, so it's up to you to be quick enough to prevent an attack.

You'll of course be able to do things like climbing the turnbuckle, whipping players into the ropes -- you can even use objects like steal chairs, although you have a limit to how many times you can use a weapon before getting disqualified.

The other meter you'll be worrying about is your health meter, naturally. You're in trouble when it's flashing red and it'll be harder to get out of pins. One thing I liked about All Stars is that even a pinned player will have a second chance as a meter pop-ups for both players. The player that's pinning the opponent will need to try and fill the meter while the pinned player will be trying to increase the capacity of the meter, making it harder to get filled up.

Overall, I felt that the controls were very easy to pick up and play. I managed to win a couple of matches; granted, I used Andre The Giant against an AI-controlled Rey Mysterio. It'll be interesting to see if players use the Mad Catz Fight Sticks or Fight Pad for All Stars. I think the regular controller is a better fit, but I can see why THQ would want pro controllers.

The one thing I couldn't stomach with All Stars is the over-the-top look for the wrestlers. I mean, I get why they did it, I just think caricature designs of ANYTHING are always gross looking.

After the WWE All Stars presentation, THQ had The Big Show, Ricky Steamboat, Kofi and Shamus talk about the game. It was kind of cool hearing how the current wrestlers are honored they are able to go up against old-school wrestlers like Bret Hart, Macho Man and more. It's just as much of a dream match for the wrestlers as it will be for wrestling fans that get WWE All Stars.

http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-wwe-all-stars-191975.phtml

Additional previews:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/act...&om_clk=picks&tag=picks;title;1&mode=previews
http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vid...not-talking-dwayne-johnson?readmore=fullstory
http://sfx-360.com/newsite/news/hands-on-preview-of-wwe-all-stars/
http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/6407...review-Past-vs-Present-in-the-Squared-Circle/
http://www.gameplaybook.com/news/wwe-all-stars-updated-preview-xbox-360-playstation-3/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18042de1b6ba7e87d8d8a0c192b5fa7b1.jpg

e293a9cc6534e360a8ae7b79a759417d1.jpg

Here's something you probably never expected! Yes, Mad Catz and THQ have teamed up to release a special Arcade BrawlStick and BrawlPad for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The new WWE All Stars plays a lot more like an arcade fighter and Mad Catz felt their special brand of controllers would be a perfect fit for the new wrestling game.

The BrawlStick will be going for $79.99 and offers 30mm quick connect actions buttons. The BrawlPad features enlarged circular 8-way floating D-Pad and a classic arcade-style six-button layout. The PlayStation 3 version of the BrawlPad will also come as a wireless controller whereas the Xbox 360 version will be wired. Both versions will go for $39.99.

I got to handle both of these new Brawl controllers and they both felt pretty nice. Yes, that's not saying much but I'm not really a fighting gamer so I can't comment on how these feel in comparison to the Street Fighter IV ones. I can tell you that the BrawlStick wasn't designed to be customizable like the TE Street Fighter sticks, but you can still mod them if you really wanted to. Mad Catz also told me that they've put their "reputation on the line" with these next sticks and are backed with a five year warranty.

• Recreate the quality, gameplay and precision found in arcades

• Official artwork from WWE All Stars video game depicting a variety of WWE Legends and WWE Superstars

• Available in time for launch of WWE All Stars game

• Arcade-style joystick and 30mm quick connect action buttons

• Genuine 8-button arcade layout configured specifically for WWE All Stars

• Dual-speed Turbo functionality for each 30mm action button

• Controller lock/unlock switch prevents accidental button presses

• 3-way switch enables joystick to function as left or right analog stick or D-Pad for navigation

• Official artwork from WWE All Stars video game depicting a variety of WWE Legends and WWE Superstars

• Available in time for launch of WWE All Stars game

• Enlarged, circular 8-way floating D-Pad and a classic arcade-style six-button layout, allows simple execution of signature wrestling moves

• Separate turbo settings for each action button

• Rubber grips for improved handling

• 3-Way switch enables D-Pad to also function as left or right analog stick for easy navigation

• Integrated headset port for use with Xbox LIVE® (Xbox 360 Version only)

• Wireless 2.4GHz designs (PlayStation 3 version only)

http://www.destructoid.com/mad-catz-bringing-new-brawl-stick-pad-for-wwe-all-stars-191999.phtml
http://sfx-360.com/newsite/news/hands-on-preview-of-wwe-all-stars/

well the new vids have me a little more intrigued, but I still hate how over the top everything is. Arcadey is one thing, but if a big part of why i'm playing this is nostalgia, I want to see the old moves just the way I remembered them, not guys doing 720 spinning piledrivers. I guess it wll all depend on how the grapple system is, though the leanings towards it being more of a fighting game don't give me much promise.

Yup, just pre ordered it based on the box art. I hate myself.

Weird seeing Hogan though, but he is under a legends contract. Fingers crossed for Razor and Diesel.

Well, I'll say.... I havent paid attention to the WWE since The Rock days, but as long as the controls work well, Im in. It looks like a blast, especially if your playing with some buddies. Not terribly excited about some of the wrestlers Im not terribly familiar with like Kofi and Sheamus, but The Rock, Warrior, Macho, Hogan, Andre, etc. is great. Hopefully we get a demo!

JdFoX187

Banned
The engine has been improved, somewhat, for the new consoles. It's just since it's coming out for the Wii, a quick and dirty PS2 port isn't going to cost very much, and might sell a few thousand copies.

No idea if I'll get this or not. Yukes made some improvements with the game, but absolutely shit the bed with others. I think I'll wait and get All-Stars when it hits $30 or so, especially now that it has Hogan and Warrior.

XiaNaphryz

Ninja Scooter said:
well the new vids have me a little more intrigued, but I still hate how over the top everything is. Arcadey is one thing, but if a big part of why i'm playing this is nostalgia, I want to see the old moves just the way I remembered them, not guys doing 720 spinning piledrivers. I guess it wll all depend on how the grapple system is, though the leanings towards it being more of a fighting game don't give me much promise.
If only LoW was released on PC, we'd have had some sweet mods by now.

Messi

Ninja Scooter said:

Try legends of wrestlemania. it seems like it would be more up your alley.

Does anybody want to take bets on the roster?

The current roster is impossible, but for the legends roster I'm thinking we'll see:

Andre
Hogan
Warrior
Steamboat
Savage
Bret hart
Jake the snake
Million dollar man
Mr.perfect
Shawn michaels
The rock
Stone cold
Snuka
Diesel
Razor Ramon

Those last two are dreams though.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Wow, I heard about the title when it got revealed, but this is the first time I've actually seen any media for it whatsoever, and it looks fun as hell!

I love the style, graphics look real nice, and animations are excellent - it's like a breath of fresh air seeing an official new WWE game without the SAME Smackdown animations from a decade ago...

After watching the Cena/Rock vid, I'm gonna watch the E3 stage show stuff now...

Messi said:
Try legends of wrestlemania. it seems like it would be more up your alley.

Have it. It has it's flaws but I enjoy it, was hoping for a sequel with more WWE (and maybe WCW) nostalgia expanded, but oh well.

Top Bottom