• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE All Stars |OT| No Yukes allowed

Messi

El Pescado said:
I am SHOCKED that Hogan is not only IN THIS, but ON THE BOX! What in the world?

WWE are not stupid, Hogan sells. They own his legends contract. I am sure some people on here looked at it and went Oh cool, hogan is in it. He is arguably the biggest name ever in wrestling.

Oh and suprised they have not used Kane or Undertaker to show off big guys, especially Undertaker actually. But its a safe bet him and shawn michaels are in it.

Captain N

El Pescado said:
I am SHOCKED that Hogan is not only IN THIS, but ON THE BOX! What in the world?

I know. That Plus they have Macho Man. If they can do that they'd better bring back Goldberg.

Messi

Captain N said:
I know. That Plus they have Macho Man. If they can do that they'd better bring back Goldberg.

This is a WWE game right, Goldberg essentially did nothing for them. Let us never forget his final match with Brock.

Messi

Gravijah said:
Yeah but they own WCW... and, well, everything. :/

If they had a WCW/ECW Angle to this game i'd be all over it. It would mean Kevin Nash right? Man Nash was so shit. But sting would be awesome.

Captain N

Messi said:
This is a WWE game right, Goldberg essentially did nothing for them. Let us never forget his final match with Brock.

I just tweeted Goldberg about it and he said Not happening.

Ninja Scooter said:
meh gameplay video did nothing for me. Don't care for the graphical style much, the models are almost too bloated looking, and the gameplay was a bit too arcadey for my taste. I mean, reading the writeup, and no subs or count outs? Guess I'll still check it out.

And now that Macho Man is back does that mean Vince forgives him for boning his 14 year old daughter?
Damn,I didnt know that shit...

canadian crowe said:
Does anybody want to take bets on the roster?

The current roster is impossible, but for the legends roster I'm thinking we'll see:

Andre
Hogan
Warrior
Steamboat
Savage
Bret hart
Jake the snake
Million dollar man
Mr.perfect
Shawn michaels
The rock
Stone cold
Snuka
Diesel
Razor Ramon

Those last two are dreams though.

I don't know or care about the current all stars but this would be my dream legends roster.

Andre the Giant
Hulk Hogan
King Kong Bundy
Ultimate Warrior
Ricky The Dragon Steamboat
George Animal Steele
Macho Man Randy Savage
Greg The Hammer Valentine
Tito Santana
Jake the Snake Roberts
Million dollar man Ted Dibiase
Mr. Perfect
Ravishing Rick Rude
Honky Tonk Man
Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Brutus the Barber Beefcake
Bam Bam Bigelow
The Big Boss Man
Sgt Slaughter

Tag Teams
Hart Foundation Bret The Hitman Hart
Hart Foundation Jimmy Niedhart
Demolition Axe
Demolition Smash
Road Warriors Hawk
Road Warriors Animal
The midnight rockers Shawn Michaels
The midnight rockers Marty Jannetty
British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith
British Bulldog Dynamite Kid

Maybe they can do a WWF vs. WCW and add some WCW wrestlers like

Sting
Rick Flair
Goldberg
Kevin Nash
Dusty Rhodes
Diamond Dallas Page
Scott Steiner
Rick Steiner
Raven
Scott Hall
Ultimo Dragon
Lex Luger

I guess I wouldn't mind some of the newer "legends" like

The Rock
Stone Cold Steve Austin
HHH

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
basic_element said:
I don't know or care about the current all stars but this would be my dream legends roster.

From your list, here's who's already in LoW (hence why a lot of us were hoping for a sequel since this is a pretty good baseline):

Andre the Giant
Hulk Hogan
King Kong Bundy
Ultimate Warrior
Greg The Hammer Valentine
Jake the Snake Roberts
Million dollar man Ted Dibiase
Mr. Perfect
Ravishing Rick Rude
Honky Tonk Man
Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Brutus the Barber Beefcake
Bam Bam Bigelow
The Big Boss Man
Sgt Slaughter
Hart Foundation Bret The Hitman Hart
Hart Foundation Jimmy Niedhart
Road Warriors Hawk
Road Warriors Animal
Shawn Michaels
British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith
Rick Flair
Dusty Rhodes
The Rock
Stone Cold Steve Austin
HHH

These are the guys not in, but several have been done with Create-A-Wrestler and the recipes to make them have undoubtedly been posted:

Ricky The Dragon Steamboat
George Animal Steele
Macho Man Randy Savage
Tito Santana
Demolition Axe
Demolition Smash
The midnight rockers Marty Jannetty
Sting
Goldberg
Kevin Nash
Diamond Dallas Page
Scott Steiner
Rick Steiner
Raven
Scott Hall
Ultimo Dragon
Lex Luger

Given that you can import your own MP3s for entrances, you can get pretty damn close in getting someone in there:

Macho Man - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoHQM_UmoWk
Money Inc and the Natural Disasters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP8mC_O-pZc

Some stuff happens to be built in if you just happen to pair up the right guys already on the roster, such as:

Mega Bucks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwx7jXT-MD0

Meier

NYCrooner said:
No Hogan, Warrior, Stone Cold or Flair will destroy it for me. I hope they make the final roster.
Hogan and Warrior on the cover. Have to be in the game you'd think.

krypt0nian said:
This is the WWE game I've been waiting for. Over the top, not trying to be a sim.

Day one!
Only if they used the models from smackdown, otherwise I agree with you. Everyone looks like they have transformed into the hulk.

theRizzle

Captain N said:

Forget Goldberg, what about Golddust? Now there's a Superstar!

Honestly though, I don't know what to think about this game. It sounds fun for a night or two, but I know that it's not something that's going to keep me coming back.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Projectjustice said:
Whats is up with the arcade stick? This isnt Street fighter.

Since when did an arcade stick belong to Street Fighter?

As far as I know, arcade sticks belong with arcade style games. ;)

Wow, Hogan and Warrior too. Very cool. As long as THQ doesn't do that online axxess pass or whatever, I might actually buy this.

DrDogg

MarkMan said:
Since when did an arcade stick belong to Street Fighter?

As far as I know, arcade sticks belong with arcade style games. ;)

Can you shed some light on how the 3-way toggle works? How easy is it to switch from the left analog stick to the right analog stick to the d-pad, then back to the left analog stick? For example, would it be easy to accurately do all three switches within the time frame of a standard Tekken 6 juggle (without walls)?

XiaNaphryz

iconoclast said:
Wow, Hogan and Warrior too. Very cool. As long as THQ doesn't do that online axxess pass or whatever, I might actually buy this.
Didn't care for LoW? Both were in that one.

XiaNaphryz said:
Didn't care for LoW? Both were in that one.

Yeah, I tried the demo and didn't care for it much. I'm liking the over the top, arcadey look that All Stars has though. At least it's something fresh.

Ronabo

SapientWolf said:
The art is terrible. The Rock looks like a cheap plastic toy.

I actually like that. It reminds me of the cheap plastic rubber action figures I had as a kid.

kaufmann.gif

???

XiaNaphryz said:
From your list, here's who's already in LoW (hence why a lot of us were hoping for a sequel since this is a pretty good baseline):

These are the guys not in, but several have been done with Create-A-Wrestler and the recipes to make them have undoubtedly been posted:

Given that you can import your own MP3s for entrances, you can get pretty damn close in getting someone in there:

Macho Man - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoHQM_UmoWk
Money Inc and the Natural Disasters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP8mC_O-pZc

Some stuff happens to be built in if you just happen to pair up the right guys already on the roster, such as:

Mega Bucks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwx7jXT-MD0

Wow. didn't know LOW already had all these wrestlers. How is the gameplay though? I'm a big fan of the old WWF SuperStars and WWF WrestleFest arcade games. Might pick this up since it should be cheap now.

infinityBCRT said:
Only if they used the models from smackdown, otherwise I agree with you. Everyone looks like they have transformed into the hulk.

Nah that's what I love about it. rather than the fake reality that Smackdown aspires to, we get cool as fuck action figure hyper reality that fits the genre better IMO.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
DrDogg said:
Can you shed some light on how the 3-way toggle works? How easy is it to switch from the left analog stick to the right analog stick to the d-pad, then back to the left analog stick? For example, would it be easy to accurately do all three switches within the time frame of a standard Tekken 6 juggle (without walls)?

I'm not MarkMan, but it looks exactly like the current sticks, so you could probably just go by anyone who owns one and try it out.

DrDogg

Skilotonn said:
I'm not MarkMan, but it looks exactly like the current sticks, so you could probably just go by anyone who owns one and try it out.

I know it's based on the SE stick, but I wasn't aware those had a 3-way toggle. Do they?

I sure we won't receive any Samoans, Rick Rude or Hennig. :-/ Samoans would be great. A OTG into Perfect Plex. Top Rope Elbow drop, OTG into Rude Awaking. There are so many ideas with this game.

MasterAJ22 said:

Andy Kaufman as a Hidden Character with the King breaking his nose. Simply Perfect!

Fuck this game looks awesome. Why can't they implement graphics like this in Smackdown vs Raw? The animation is so fluid and smooth and just look at the crowd. It like 20 times better than SvR 2011's crowd. I hope this game sells alot and they get rid of the SvR team.

XiaNaphryz

BoboBrazil said:
Fuck this game looks awesome. Why can't they implement graphics like this in Smackdown vs Raw? The animation is so fluid and smooth and just look at the crowd. It like 20 times better than SvR 2011's crowd. I hope this game sells alot and they get rid of the SvR team.
LoW didn't do all that well with practically the same roster and more, I can't see this one doing much better.

BoboBrazil said:

1. Will there even be more than 2 wrestlers in the ring at a time? If not, that explains how the crowd looks. SvR can have up to 7 characters on screen at any time, and many times that will be with these crazy customized create-a-wrestlers. You can't expect the same thing from 2 games that have completely different goals.

2. I agree about the animation though. I'm guessing that they're using hand made animations instead of mo-cap, and if so, that explains the fluidity. Wrestling devs still can't get mo-capped moves to look as good as they used to in the old Smackdown games, or any of the AKI games when they were hand made. If they ARE mo-capped, then Yukes needs to take notes because the moves in SvR are very stiff and often times have no impact to them like they used to in Here Comes The Pain.

3. Let's not get too far ahead with "wishing this dev team made all of the games." This is the same team that made the TNA Impact game, and we all saw how that turned out.

Net_Wrecker said:
1. Will there even be more than 2 wrestlers in the ring at a time? If not, that explains how the crowd looks. SvR can have up to 7 characters on screen at any time, and many times that will be with these crazy customized create-a-wrestlers. You can't expect the same thing from 2 games that have completely different goals.

2. I agree about the animation though. I'm guessing that they're using hand made animations instead of mo-cap, and if so, that explains the fluidity. Wrestling devs still can't get mo-capped moves to look as good as they used to in the old Smackdown games, or any of the AKI games when they were hand made. If they ARE mo-capped, then Yukes needs to take notes because the moves in SvR are very stiff and often times have no impact to them like they used to in Here Comes The Pain.

3. Let's not get too far ahead with "wishing this dev team made all of the games." This is the same team that made the TNA Impact game, and we all saw how that turned out.

I'd rather have a game that looks and moves like that with no created wrestlers and only two wrestlers on screen than the way Smackdown vs Raw looks and plays. Matches with more than 2 wrestlers aren't fun anyway with the way SvR plays

They should just cut out the crappy current roster. What a waste of space, I can understand Cena, but does it really need all the other crap?

Current Legends like HHH, HBK, Big Show, Undertaker, Kane and Jericho I dont mind. But some of those generic current guys are ruining it for me.

BoboBrazil said:
I'd rather have a game that looks and moves like that with no created wrestlers and only two wrestlers on screen than the way Smackdown vs Raw looks and plays. Matches with more than 2 wrestlers aren't fun anyway with the way SvR plays

Meh, we're looking for different things then. A strictly one v one game with no created wrestlers is not what I'm looking for in a wrestling title at all. hell, half the fun I'm getting out of Svr2011 this year is downloading and editing created wrestlers from the Community Creations. My roster in 2011 is probably the best roster I've ever had in a wrestling game.

Now if the game plays fun than I'll get it day 1 no problem because I have not both a wwe/WCW/WWF game since the N64 days but with all these classics in them that could be very cool.

El Pescado said:
I keep reading on the wrestling news dirtsheets that WWE made THQ take Hogan out. Sucks if true, but I wouldn't be surprised.

god im so fucking sick of this shit Vince, fucking let him be in the game, how the fuck do you have a wrestling legend game and not have Hulk Hogan in it? Is he so out of touch he thinks people are gonna be like "ZOMG HOGAN I REMEMBER HIM! DERP DERP LETS TURN ON TNA NOW AND WATCH HULKAMANIA DERP..."

mooooose

TNA Impact was a really really great foundation for what could've been a great series. The animations were amazing, the models were detailed as shit, and the arenas were all different and cool, even story mode was KINDA interesting for a wrestling game (and very TNA in how stupid it was).

What wasn't there? All the features we expect. Ladder matches, King of the Mountain, lots of weapons, etc. All the little touches that add up. It lacked any of those.

Even more importantly, it lacked MOVES. Every wrestler played the same. So while the game was great for a hour or two, it got boring fast. But the problem wasn't the gameplay, the animations, or the graphics. It was the amount of moves. Also the selling was a problem. No one really sold anything :lol

The game was ambitious as shit and totally delivered in some areas and fucking blew in others. Not to mention the license isn't that strong. But, imo, it's a fantastic game and the fact that the TNA license is in limbo with a handheld developer and that the team is stuck making this garbage is a shame. Give them a good project head and get some quick coders in there and they could put out gold.

Compare the models of Kurt Angle and Christian to those in Smackdown:
TNA Angle vs Christian
Christian in TNA (Entrance)
Christian in Smackdown 2011(Entrance)
TNA game had awesome graphics.

mooooose said:
TNA Impact was a really really great foundation for what could've been a great series. The animations were amazing, the models were detailed as shit, and the arenas were all different and cool, even story mode was KINDA interesting for a wrestling game (and very TNA in how stupid it was).

What wasn't there? All the features we expect. Ladder matches, King of the Mountain, lots of weapons, etc. All the little touches that add up. It lacked any of those.

Even more importantly, it lacked MOVES. Every wrestler played the same. So while the game was great for a hour or two, it got boring fast. But the problem wasn't the gameplay, the animations, or the graphics. It was the amount of moves. Also the selling was a problem. No one really sold anything :lol

The game was ambitious as shit and totally delivered in some areas and fucking blew in others. Not to mention the license isn't that strong. But, imo, it's a fantastic game and the fact that the TNA license is in limbo with a handheld developer and that the team is stuck making this garbage is a shame. Give them a good project head and get some quick coders in there and they could put out gold.

TNA Angle vs Christian

Yeah I thought it was a good first effort and probably could have been a good series if Midway didn't go out of business. Unfortunately people were judging a first effort versus a game that is on it's 13 or 14th iteration. You can already see the improvements in this game, which is just the 2nd wrestling game they've made.

Penguin

Seems like Hogan and Warrior are official, granted, we already knew that

It's one of the most prolific WWE videogame covers ever as today we unveil the official WWE All Stars cover, and an even bigger surprise...Hulkamania and the Ultimate Warrior are gonna run wild all over every Superstar in WWE All Stars, or so they think, bet you didn't expect that. Share your thoughts, are you getting pumped for All Stars now?! Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, and there are plenty of more roster surprises to come...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=498941313354&set=a.424882178354.207422.110431863354

mooooose said:

TNA Angle vs Christian

The animations were good, but I think you're giving them too much credit. They kept on talking about how "Oh yeah, No Mercy is definitely the direction we're going in" and even AJ Styles, and Samoa Joe (who are hardcore gamers) were talking about how they want to see an evolved No Mercy, but the game fell way short.

It's one thing to come out of the gate missing features and match types, but the gameplay should've been rock solid. They had their inspiration, and KNEW that everyone wanted that No Mercy style of gameplay back, but what we got instead was a wrestling game that looked and sounded a bit like Mortal Kombat where nobody sold anything, and had like 50 moves in the whole game.

So yes, the ANIMATION SYSTEM was a good foundation, but it failed in everything else gameplay wise.

Top Bottom