• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Draft |OT| A McMahon on every show

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC Safety

And unlike Naomi, Emma, and Paige (and every other woman in the WWE) Bayley's gimmick appeals primarily to little girls. Who do you think the young female WWE fans really look up to? Charlotte? Sasha? Becky?

Bayley's obviously the perfect PG role model for them.

I'm not sure the adoration of young girls is enough to carry the crowd in WWE.

We'll see how Bayley is greeted when she gets to the main roster.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I would've fired Foley at the point when he drafted Big Show.

I would've fired Bryan at the point when he drafted Dolph Ziggler.

Also I can't help but think that the only reason they moved JBL to Smackdown is so that he can be Smackdown's representation on commentary for the joint shows.
I would have fired them both once it became apparent that neither one was going to draft Bayley. They go through all this and not call up the most over women wrestler today?

Shark Johnson is the greatest WrestleGAF poster in the history of our sport, btw. 😂

Toki767

The adult audience likes her too though.

They like her so much they started booing Asuka for destroying her.

And they basically cheer Asuka destroying anyone.

Brinbe

Wow, what a shitshow. Exposes how much work they still need to do to sign solid talent. They need to bring up Joe/Nakamura/Bayley/Asuka/Revival ASAP. You add them to the mix on both brands and suddenly things don't seem so shallow on both sides. Treat NXT like the developmental brand it needs to be and stop relying on guys/gals who are clearly ready.

Anyway, glad I missed out due to work because it sounds like they ruined what should be a good and fun idea with really poor booking.

Ithil

The entire crowd loves Bayley. There was a hardcore crowd of 14k treating her as the star of the night at Takeover Brooklyn. It's not a question of whether she can get over, we already know she can, because she did.

UberTag

Cesaro straight fuckin shootin on the draft live show
Wow, I just listened to that shoot. What a venomous indictment of the WWE product. Cesaro needs to bail for New Japan at the earliest opportunity.
Couple that with the glaring error on screen from the graphice department - makes the WWE look very amateur hour.

klonere

Banned
dying rn

CnyH9jVW8AAF0lz.jpg:small

get a release Cesaro, it's not for you.

Weird saying "if" Bayley can get over, just look at the reaction from the crowd when Stephanie started talking up the NXT woman she was just about to announce and how the crowd started heating up only for it to die and turn into boos when it was Nia Jax.

UberTag

Woah. That was underwhelming.

So I guess Sasha's partner will be Nia?
My bet is that it will still be Bayley and they just didn't want to ruin "the surprise".
Because a surprise on a nothing Battleground network special is much more important than cashing in on the Bayley hype on a draft show that people were actually watching.

Idiots.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Weird saying "if" Bayley can get over, just look at the reaction from the crowd when Stephanie started talking up the NXT woman she was just about to announce and how the crowd started heating up only for it to die and turn into boos when it was Nia Jax.

Bayley getting over is a cert. Shit, make her an honorary New Day member.

UberTag

"WWE has come to terms on the release of Cesaro of Wednesday, July 20, 2016. WWE wishes Cesaro the best in all his future endeavors".
That'll show him for not pretending to care about whether Mick Foley and Stephanie McMahon can co-exist.

It's a new era!

kiguel182

Cesaro is totally right. Who cares about Steph and Mick? They are putting them over the fucking talent, again.

If he is punished he should just go bail. They keep treating him like crap.

Edit: also, fuck Kane double chock slamming Owens and Sami. Fuck that.

UberTag

It's a new era, yes it is!

Ignore Kane and Big Show getting drafted.
Should we also ignore the fact that the tag team with a combined age of 91 years old got drafted before half the roster?
Heck, Cesaro only went 3 picks before them. Have the Golden Truth even won a match yet?

Should we also ignore the fact that the tag team with a combined age of 91 years old got drafted before half the roster?
Heck, Cesaro only went 3 picks before them. Have the Golden Truth even won a match yet?

Yes, please ignore that we're once again putting old talent over the younger guys, making the younger guys look like chumps. Hey, remember the Attitude Era? Wasn't that fun and unpredictable? Not like today.

No Nakamura or Asuka was pretty disappointing.

The Club and Finn Balor going to RAW surely means we're getting Balor Club...hopefully.

No old people either. Unless there's another draft happening on monday.

Can somebody also explain the logic of having AJ on Smackdown, but having Gallows, Anderson and Balor on RAW? Can't wrap my head around that one.

MC Safety

The entire crowd loves Bayley. There was a hardcore crowd of 14k treating her as the star of the night at Takeover Brooklyn. It's not a question of whether she can get over, we already know she can, because she did.

I think there's a difference between an NXT crowd and a WWE crowd, and you already hinted at it. Sometimes wrestlers can make the transition from NXT to WWE with no problem. Maybe Bayley is one of them. I'm not sold on that particular notion.

We'll see.

deli2000

WWE should stop pretending it's 2009 and actually have long term plans for their midcard and treat them with respect. The draft should have represented a proper shift in booking philosophy and presentation for the two brands. Instead the 'new era' is the same old shit with even smaller rosters who are just as poorly booked as before, because creative would rather a short term solution to it's ratings problem than actually evolve in any way. This company absolutely deserves all the negative repercussions that will come from such a short sighted decision like this.

NXT is our only hope.

Jamie OD

Looking back over the responses online throughout the show. It's funny to see everyone thinking Smackdown was looking like the better side after the first 10 picks. Then as the night progressed it slowly dawned over more and more people that Smackdown was doomed by this draft.

RBH

Well, this sure was a shit show.

The decision to create a Cruiserweight division for Raw and then put Kalisto on SmackDown (hilarious promo notwithstanding) is just absolutely baffling to me.

Can somebody also explain the logic of having AJ on Smackdown, but having Gallows, Anderson and Balor on RAW? Can't wrap my head around that one.

They think Balor needs the Club more than AJ? I don't think either necessarily need it, but I can understand them wanting to change it to a Balor thing if they do link them when he comes up.

yuraya

This wasn't really all that significant.

I guess congrats to Smackdown for getting AJ. That is big for them. But I don't see much else that is worth noting.

Also hilarious how high Big Show got drafted.

Bliss is moving up over Bayley?

Huh. OK. I bet some people who dont watch NXT are gonna really like Alexa.

I mean Bayley is such a uniqe thing I fully support keepe=ing her in NXT until they are sure they have a plan for her on the main roster so she doesnt debut stillborn like so many other out of nowhere NXT people.

If they dont fuck it up she can be the John Cena for little girls. I think they know this and dont want to fumble.

Or ya know. If you want to be totally jaded. She doesnt exactly fit the WWE main roster Womens model look and maybe Vince doesnt like it

Just looked at the draft list, as expected it's a shitshow. WWE had a good opportunity to build up their talent, specifically their midcard. They were gaining momentum weeks after WrestleMania with the focus on Owens, Zayn, Cesaro, the Women, and pushing Styles to the main event. They took a good step forward, now I guess the brand split is the two steps back.

The fact that Eva got drafted, a woman that can barely walk never mind wrestle, but skipped Nakamura, Asuka, Bailey, Liv Morgan, Samoa Joe and Aries clearly shows that this new era is complete bs.

I can only hope that there will be a couple surprises on the next RAW and SD.

RBH

Were there any locker room reaction camera shots during the Draft on TV, like this?

fGBwMIL.gif

jRwkJ4.gif

I didn't get to watch the first hour of the Draft due to work.

Bayley's only 27, why rush her when there are plenty of good women going to waste on the main roster?
That's ironic. Some people (Meltzer I think is one of them) won't shut up about how Bayley's age plays a big part in how the WWE target her. That one day friendly big sister turns into affectionate mom friend.

Were there any locker room reaction camera shots during the Draft on TV, like this?

fGBwMIL.gif

No. They just did one on one backstage interviews on the WWE Network. you didn't get much of any reactions on Smackdown itself.

deli2000

fGBwMIL.gif

No. The best we got was post-draft interviews on the network

Edit: Beaten like smackdown's ratings in 3 months time.

Heroman

Banned

fGBwMIL.gif

jRwkJ4.gif

Nope

spoke to soon
l8QXpPR.gif
The fact that Eva got drafted, a woman that can barely walk never mind wrestle, but skipped Nakamura, Asuka, Bailey, Liv Morgan, Samoa Joe and Aries clearly shows that this new era is complete bs.

I can only hope that there will be a couple surprises on the next RAW and SD.

Well none of those guys were every going to called up at once it would kill NXT, and who in the world is Liv Morgan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom